Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

all you have to do to get out of the metro screen is press esc

i like windows 8 and will be getting it,i need an upgrade though as im still on xp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i think there trying to make it too much like their phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Did anyone mention that Windows 8 addresses 4GB of memory?

Well it seems to, I've updated my Win7 machine and whilst I hate the Metro Interface, it really is a better Windows 7 more or less underneath.

At this time, most of my apps are working and the only difficulty so far has been the rearrangement of my Comm Ports, but programmes found their correct ones with a search so fine.

It definitely seems faster and I'm now officially changing my mind ~ I only need to find those security things and turn them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Its fine by me if OS makers want to dumb it down and go "appsy" as someone said. Just give us a dedicated power user interface and put as much effort into it as the tablet stuff. Im still with XP with the stripped down classic interface and a black background. Its fast and everything is where i want it logically. I would also like a power user intferface for tablets when i get one.

Long live classic interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Its fine by me if OS makers want to dumb it down and go "appsy" as someone said. Just give us a dedicated power user interface and put as much effort into it as the tablet stuff.
    Well on that aspect, Powershell/WMF 3.0 definitely has some pretty nice features. It's probably what I'd be looking forward to most in Win 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Interesting piece here, the quote below caught my eye

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/reader-comments-windows-8-142731
    For example, many would be more open to accepting the Metro user experience if they could somehow overlay it on, or place side by side with, the desktop, configurations Microsoft told me were impossible because of security concerns. And many wish, as I do, that Microsoft had engineered Windows 8 and “Metro” as two separate platforms, with the former focusing on PCs and the latter aimed at iPad-like tablets. We’re going to be second-guessing that decision for years, I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

Looks more like the betas of Windows Whistler. This OS seems like a disaster.

As time goes on it has massive memory problems. I does not address 4GB of memory, it just knows it's there [which lead me to believe it used it] ~ there has been a recent memory management update and this has made things better again, but Apple products still suffer from it.

A few programs that initially ran seemingly perfectly, have less tools options and some features won't work at all, FotoStation has only five display options now instead of 12, Canon Utility will run a live 1DMKIII and a 5D but NOT a 5DMKII.

Notification of inserted cards is often activated only after one has started to search My Computer for the card or activated it from a shortcut.

Video: Believe it or NOT, Windows Own Media Player does not work satisfactorily, it will sometimes open and play a file, it sometimes will not open the file or freeze. And wil all file if one pauses, that's it, not more playback, and this is from hard drive files.

I've had to download the usual free players form the internet to run video that I had always just used the Windows Media player with.

Even after memory management native things like Office needs to be clicked three times before activation, some icons don't respond at all and Windows Explorer now attracts Toolbars and Clickthroughs and Trojans with gay abandon, it's like inviting them in, ridiculous.

I've it about a month or more now and it just can't handle my workloads for either business or pleasure. IMO, it's not RC1 yet. Sadly, Windows has a long standing reputation of releasing RC1s as consumer grade product. Be warned.

I'm on a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That looks like a massive step back from a UI perspective. Think whoever posted that comparison with Windows 3.1 seemed scarily close to the truth.

Looks like I'll be staying with 7 myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

That's a shame about Aero. I really really liked it. :(
    gbee wrote: »
    IMO, it's not RC1 yet.

That's right: it's not. ;)

Agreed. I can't stand the Ribbon.

Karsini wrote: »
    Agreed. I can't stand the Ribbon.

I had to look up what the ribbon was, I uninstalled Office 2010 and went back to 2003 ~ and I now know it's because of that awful ribbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Windows 8 > Vista and XP
    Windows 7 >= Windows 8

Have had quite a few issues with Windows 8, subtle ones, like a menu or advanced setting missing that masked my initial pleasure with this release.

I've gone back to Windows 7. too many compatibility issues, I run Ship Plotter, Plane Spotter, Scanner software and live feeds, CB and PMR radio as well as office, even Office did not run too well and live view capture for my cameras, not all cameras work ~ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think it's a good idea they released the consumer preview, hopefully they'll be sucking up all the feedback and altering the finished product to iron out most of the issues.

they seem to be looking forward to a lot more things being touch screen enabled by the time it's finally released and hopefully it will mean a lot more windows based touch screen pc's and tablets (they obviously let android & apple catch them out again).

something which i think will help greatly to bring a touchscreen like interface to existing computer users without needing to replace their monitors is this: http://leapmotion.com/

as originally pointed out [URL="[url]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056647384[/url]"]in this thread[/URL], so thanks to shizz for bringing it to our attention. :)

pretty cool if you ask me and would make windows 8 into an entirely different animal imho on a desktop or laptop PC for anyone without a touchscreen. :)

your for $70 when it's released around Dec/Jan time and i've already pre-ordered mine.

vibe666 wrote: »
    as originally pointed out [URL="[url]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056647384[/url]"]in this thread[/URL], so thanks to shizz for bringing it to our attention. :)
    Looks very interesting .. link is broken though.. you're missing a : after the http :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056647384

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Looks very interesting .. link is broken though.. you're missing a : after the http :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056647384
    that's weird, when i go to edit the post it's showing up correctly, but when i hover over the link, the : is missing. very odd. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I see the Release Preview is out now too.

I usually buy Windows as soon as a new version is released but I'm leaning heavily towards skipping Windows 8 altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Unless they improve the overall interface I won't be using Windows 8. The Metro UI has an initial gimmicky appeal that quickly diminishes when you realise how hard it is to actually access anything useful such as system settings. The experience feels like form over function and it's all a little too dumbed down. Not to mention I miss the Start Menu already.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't have any touch-based computers and what I've seen of the Consumer Preview suggests that Metro/Win8 will largely be unremarkable on such systems.

More importantly, I don't want touch-based interfaces. I have a Bamboo tablet that I use with Manga Studio & Photoshop, but that's a hobby thing rather than a work thing - so for folks working in design-type industries where a Cintiq is a justifiable business expense, Metro may well turn out to be great.

For those of us who use it in a traditional desktop/laptop configuration, it appears to be from the same glorious line of thinking that gave us the Windows XP: Fisher Price Interface Edition. I've read a number of comments about the way that the Task Manager is set up where a crashing Metro application(which, given that non-commercial devs are being pushed towards the Metro-only versions of Visual Studio, will be quite a few of 'em) doesn't let you escape back to the Task Manager and kill the faulting application. Yay :|

I like the idea of an integrated s/w distribution store (ideally indicating a move towards a repository type system for Windows, something it sorely needs and has done for years), and Windows To Go is a great idea (assuming you've got USB3 available). But there's not a hope in hell I'll be looking at Windows 8 for either my personal machines or mass-distribution in my workplace for at least six months, probably a year.

Edited to add:

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me with the CP and Metro - you know something's bloody stupid when you end up having to resort to the damn Search function to get to Windows Update :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I stopped using W8 because some apps I wanted to use just didn't work on it, and I just couldn't be bothered to go to all the work of finding a a workaround. I don't really see the point of the metro interface and apps on a desktop. So I went back to W7. TBH I'm thinking of trying a Linux box for a while.

BostonB wrote: »
    I stopped using W8 because some apps I wanted to use just didn't work on it, and I just couldn't be bothered to go to all the work of finding a a workaround. I don't really see the point of the metro interface and apps on a desktop. So I went back to W7. TBH I'm thinking of trying a Linux box for a while.

It's something I thought I'd never do, but I'm contemplating it myself. Or Mac OS, but I could be going from the frying pan into the fire if I go there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I tried the new W8 release but I couldn't get a driver to work with my USB Wifi card. Just out of curiosity I installed, Unbuntu and it picked it up no problem. W8 seemed much faster than Unbuntu on the same older hardware. C2D E6300 and 4GB of RAM. I'm going to try Mint later.

I've had another go with the RC version this evening in a VM.

10 minutes later I'm back to Win 7 on my laptop.

- I hate the dumbed down look
    - I don't like gaudy full-screen "apps"
    - Clicking in blank space to get to the various options is counter-intuitive
    - What's the point of 2 IE versions
    - Getting to the Control Panel even is a chore

Sure, I could install the taskbar patch and no doubt someone will soon release a tweak so that it launches to the desktop by default, but why bother trying to make it into Win 7.. when I can just use Win 7! :rolleyes:

I have a Win Phone 7 for work and it's vastly inferior to my Android SGS2.
    I was hoping Win 8/Win Phone 8 might help address some of this, but it's identical and still very basic and things I take for granted still aren't there!

I normally adopt early but I really think they've really dropped the ball on this one.

What's Win Server 2012 looking like? Same story?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    What's Win Server 2012 looking like? Same story?
    Metro is present, but instead of booting to it, by default it'll boot to the Desktop instead. They've changed Server Manager a fair amount, though I haven't dug into it enough to know if I prefer it that way yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Installed release preview this morning, its just awful interface wise to anything I've ever used before including the first time I used xp and its horrible kid colored interface.

This has a very good chance of alienating people and almost pushing them to OSX, Linux and Chrome/Android devices

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    This has a very good chance of alienating people and almost pushing them to OSX, Linux and Chrome/Android devices

Agree. As a side note, an App that I use on my iPhone was changed recently and the author said it was to comply with Apple's own look; which means it cannot LOOK like an Apple product.

Could be something in this regards the Metro design too.

Advertisement