Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

2) Why not a simple button between Metro and Desktop and vice versa
    press the windows button.

5) When I click on an app it doesn't close when I leave the page, but when I check the left side column there could be 5 or 6 running (Slowing down the system)

Why not just drag from the top middle to the bottom, that will close it or if you right clock on the app you get the option to close it. You don't need to close them and it doesnt slow anything down. Their just Suspended and not using any resources except the memory.

Might not seem intuitive on a desktop. It works a lot better on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Might not seem intuitive on a desktop. It works a lot better on a tablet.
    That's my problem with Windows 8, I'm sure the UI is great for a tablet but it just doesn't suit a desktop/laptop.

There is some lovely new stuff being introduced, like the power optimisations but if the UI doesn't work then it's just not worth switching too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BostonB wrote: »
    But theres no start menu on a mac either. He won't be able to use that either. :rolleyes:

He does give OS X and Linux a go. Don't want to drag the thread off topic. Here's the channel link anyway.

I don't know if I'll try Windows 8, will have to move from XP to something given the end of support situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Back to the roots...

FIvCV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've been getting this error saying " Runtime error R6025 " I've never had this when i was on windows 7 ?
    It only happens when i quit from football manager.........
    Any Help :(

• Advertisement

Black Oil wrote: »
    I don't know if I'll try Windows 8, will have to move from XP to something given the end of support situation.

Still more than 2 years. Plenty time for MS to get it right once more. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Torqay wrote: »
    Back to the roots......

Pity its not true.

blobby360 wrote: »
    I've been getting this error saying " Runtime error R6025 " It only happens when i quit from football manager.........

You're using a consumer preview and hope that you have just caught the latest and greatest gaming OS??? ^^
    Any Help frown.gif

Yes, read your own post! ;)
    I've never had this when i was on windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I've tried Windows 8 out over the last few days and I'm not really impressed with it, handy if you have a touch screen I suppose but that's about it. I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I've tried Windows 8 out over the last few days and I'm not really impressed with it, handy if you have a touch screen I suppose but that's about it. I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now.

I'm thinking the same. I mean it's nice that they are trying something so different but personally, I think it's more suitable for some sort of touch screen device. Will be sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same. I mean it's nice that they are trying something so different but personally, I think it's more suitable for some sort of touch screen device. Will be sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.

I think it comes down to their motivation for coming out with this operating system. Microsofts core business is windows. Over the past few years this has been impacted by people shifting more and more of what they used to do on their pcs to devices like tablets and smartphones, where microsoft are currently lagging far behind apple and google. Windows 8 is an attempt to use their pc os monopoly to leverage their way into the tablet market, by acclimatising people to metro. I think they have badly misjudged their ability to serve both desktops and tablets by a single os though, and unless they come up with an option to disable metro this will flop badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I Will be sticking with Windows 7 for the time being.

Ya, as someone who previously had installed the earliest beta of Windows to date, I'm not even trying this. It looks so bad, it seems more like a hacker attack.

gbee wrote: »
    It looks so bad, it seems more like a hacker attack.

wXLCY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Tried the Consumer Preview last night for the first time.

Had thought the Developer Preview was excruciating, it was an absolute nightmare switching between applications and I could not get the hang of the new Charms menu. Dual screen I found a particularly bizarre experience :confused:

Pleasantly surprised by the Consumer Preview however. I'm not sure if it's because I'm only on one monitor now, but I found it much easier and more intuitive to use. Really like being able to dock the messaging app to side of the apps, much cleaner than having multiple windows open.

Of course I can still see myself spending most of the time using the desktop, as it's far more productive, but it works well for consumption (which is what most pc users are focused on. Once I got the hang on shortcuts and app management, I didn't mind that there's a Start screen instead of a Start menu.

If it refines at the same pace, I'm hopeful it will be a far more coherent OS by the time of full release :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

So finally got around to playing with this today and like some others here, I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about.

I think what seems to be happening is that people are mistaking Metro for being a replacement for your Desktop. It's not (yet at least), it's just the replacement for your start menu. You can work away on the Desktop just as you would with any other Microsoft OS.

Saying that, there's 2 very simple changes they could do to calm the storm and make the transition to Metro much, much easier for a lot of users who are only seeing it as 'zomg tablet!'. They are:
    1. Boot to desktop rather than Metro.
    2. Put Metro as the first pinned icon on the taskbar.

That way, people will boot into something that is basically Windows 7 with a fancy start menu, i.e. exactly the type of thing they'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I dont think anyone thinks metro is the desktop, i think people know extactly what it is replacing and dont like it,

fionny wrote: »
    I dont think anyone thinks metro is the desktop, i think people know extactly what it is replacing and dont like it,

Ah now, Fionny, Microsoft will give those who want to live in the past a free desktop emulator (they call it App).

Emulators are really cool apps, you can have a SEGA, a Commodore 64 or an Amiga and now even Windows 7 on your Windows 8 PC thanks to such progressive technology. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Ya god bless the dumbing down of tech....

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

so far, win 8 sucks....
    ehhe

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've imagined thus far that Windows 8 makes little sense on a traditional PC unless someone proves me wrong. However when I get this Samsung Series 7 Slate in (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77754807), it will be among the first things that I try, after drawing.

• Advertisement

I don't understand that. Other than the start menu, (which you can add back) its not a lot different to Windows 7. A few things in different places but it all works roughly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

On a PC, I would prefer Windows 8 boot directly to the desktop, no Start screen, no Metro, and have the start menu back. I personally don't see why we should have to install some 3rd party add-on to get it back. As someone else pointed out, they could just have a button somewhere on the screen that lets you switch to Metro.

I'd probably also put an option into the setup screen to let the user choose the desktop or Metro as their default "view" or whatever during the install. Then perhaps have Metro as the default UI on tablets, slates etc.

I have to say I think MS have in a way, shot themselves in the foot by bringing out an OS as good as Windows 7. While it's apparently still selling like there's no tomorrow, my guess is that it will make people stay with Windows 7 if they don't like Windows 8. And so far there seems to be quite a few in that camp.

my guess is that it will make people stay with Windows 7 if they don't like Windows 8. And so far there seems to be quite a few in that camp.

Microsoft haven't seen people queuing up outside retailers to get hold of a new operating since the days of XP. Most Vista victims happily upgraded to XP and didn't bother with Windows 7. Their philosophy is simple: "Our new OS is here to stay and and it will be installed on every new computer, whether you like it or not." ;)

...I have to say I think MS have in a way, shot themselves in the foot by bringing out an OS as good as Windows 7. While it's apparently still selling like there's no tomorrow, my guess is that it will make people stay with Windows 7 if they don't like Windows 8. And so far there seems to be quite a few in that camp.

I don't see they are a that much different. tbh. W8 will probably be slightly better performance and lighter on resources, and anything you miss you'll be able to add back.

I've w8 on the other halfs laptop and shes not noticed much difference. She just skips past the tiles or clicks on what app she needs. The only reason I'd go back to W7 is some apps don't work on w8 and I really couldn't be bothered or have the time finding workarounds for them.

The new Gnome desktop (3.4) is gone all "appsy" now as well... :(

qaBY8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I put W8 on an old dell latitude laptop and let my daughter (10) at it and after showing her a few of the so called features she tried it for about 10 minutes and then asked for windows 7 back.

It just does not work with keyboards and mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

BigEejit wrote: »
    I put W8 on an old dell latitude laptop and let my daughter (10) at it and after showing her a few of the so called features she tried it for about 10 minutes and then asked for windows 7 back.

She should have asked for xp back

BigEejit wrote: »

I dunno what you are doing but clicking on an icon and using the keyboard works the same for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I have to admit, I do like it. The Start screen took a little warming to, but it's very handy. I've got People, Messages, Calendar and E-mail at the left-hand side of the screen. I've also got a group beside it called Friends and Family. Tap the Start button, and I can see all that information at-a-glance on their live tiles. Tap it again and I'm back in the desktop. Quick and effective.

Advertisement