Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Black Oil wrote: »

Ignore his age, I thought this was interesting. "They trying to drive me to Mac?"

:pac:

But theres no start menu on a mac either. He won't be able to use that either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

bpb101 wrote: »
    ms are bringing out this new "metro" for windows 8 for pc , laptops and tablets.
    This looks like an absolute joke to me. There are no programs , just "Apps"
    even office is now an app.
    Everything is done with "Tiles" not icons and personal looks like it was designed with a 3 year old kid.
    It looks like a big phone and i believe it will crash and burn
    take a look and vote in the poll

I'm in shock, I agree with everything you've mentioned, everything, especially, ESPECIALLY the friggin 3 year old designer look ~ I wouldn't even like it on a tablet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

bpb101 wrote: »
    Everything is done with "Tiles" not icons and personal looks like it was designed with a 3 year old kid.

A message from Microsoft to those who called XP's interface "Fisher Price": You ain't seen nothing yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Don't forget most people that use PC's have less idea how to use a pc than a 5 year old. My 4 year old brother could use a PC. My granny on the other hand can't.

So maybe an interface that looks simple with massive tiles and big fonts isn't such a bad thing for the average consumer.

Don't forget most of us are using old hardware by the the time windows 8 launches OEM's could introduce hardware to work better with the new interface.

If ya all want something more comprehensive I suggest ye could try Linux. Would keep ya busy for years trying to figure out how everything works there rather than complaining here constantly.

I still don't understand why people keep complaining about a user interface for touch when they still have the old interface to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I still don't understand why people keep complaining about a user interface for touch when they still have the old interface to work with.

because it shows microsoft are treating desktop users as an afterthought. they're giving touch users a fancy new tile interface, and giving "traditional" (i.e. the overwhelming majority) users windows 7, except calling it windows 8.

metro works well on windows phone 7, but it should stay there. Can't see this ending well for Microsoft, Apple must be happy out.

[Before anyone accuses me of being an apple fanboy, I use the 3 most popular OS's (windows,mac,ubuntu) so I feel I can give a good unbiased opinion on this]

I wonder have any of you actually used it.

Most of the complaints seem to be about problems that don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Black Oil wrote: »

Ignore his age, I thought this was interesting. "They trying to drive me to Mac?"

:pac:

That video says it all.. i felt like that using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

BostonB wrote: »
    I wonder have any of you actually used it.

Most of the complaints seem to be about problems that don't exist.

I've used both the developer and consumer previews, both are shocking. The introduction of the ribbon into windows explorer is also a headache for people to contend with.

I've used both the developer and consumer previews, both are shocking. The introduction of the ribbon into windows explorer is also a headache for people to contend with.

IE10 in classic mode works pretty the same for me. That said I used chrome more and that installed and worked fine. As did FF. But do you really use the toolbars in IE that often? I suspect you don't. I use IE all day at work and I'd say I'm rarely in the toolbar. Not liking IE's toolbar doesn't seem like much a show stopper.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    IE10 in classic mode works pretty the same for me. That said I used chrome more and that installed and worked fine. As did FF. But do you really use the toolbars in IE that often? I suspect you don't. I use IE all day at work and I'd say I'm rarely in the toolbar. Not liking IE's toolbar doesn't seem like much a show stopper.

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer = Files versus Interwebs.

Ah. my bad.

File Mangler. I didn't notice the toolbar. I configured like I always do to see hidden files and folder. Show folder path, yadda yaffa. What can it not do?

because it shows microsoft are treating desktop users as an afterthought. they're giving touch users a fancy new tile interface, and giving "traditional" (i.e. the overwhelming majority) users windows 7, except calling it windows 8.

metro works well on windows phone 7, but it should stay there. Can't see this ending well for Microsoft, Apple must be happy out.

[Before anyone accuses me of being an apple fanboy, I use the 3 most popular OS's (windows,mac,ubuntu) so I feel I can give a good unbiased opinion on this]

No I think their treating both users fairly as their still keeping the desktop. If I was buying a windows on arm tablet I wouldn't even want to see the desktop app.

But as a windows user on a desktop I've still got all my stuff I used on w7. All my apps are still on my taskbar. If you managed to learn how to use w7 taskbar its the same as w7. Desktop gets left out.

Times are moving on. Can't stick with the same interface that caused chaos back in w95 . Some people want to see something new. Some people might get confused or not understand it but they will have to catch up with it. As said all the functions are still there. Want all your apps? CTRL Q and you got them all. As said Microsoft is doing the right thing by putting power users second class. Because the majortiy of their market are people who can barely use it. Ok it will confuse a lot of people the first time, bit I doubt it will be for a long time. Once they get over the changes it will be back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Anyone know why i keep getting empty file pop ups at the bottom of my screen
    because its getting to be a pain my arse:mad:
    When i click on them they just disappear and then comeback.
    any :confused:help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Once they get over the changes it will be back to normal

I don't think so, some of the features of Window 7 already has some negative effects for multiple monitor users, I see this as a nightmare on the desktop.

It's clearly a down-market touch intensive tablet/slate environment ~ fine as such and it'll get a small share of the market, I see serious PC users going to other operating systems frankly and as a new PC purchaser this would put me off and the slick Apple would look far more attractive.

gbee wrote: »
    I don't think so, some of the features of Window 7 already has some negative effects for multiple monitor users, I see this as a nightmare on the desktop.

It's clearly a down-market touch intensive tablet/slate environment ~ fine as such and it'll get a small share of the market, I see serious PC users going to other operating systems frankly and as a new PC purchaser this would put me off and the slick Apple would look far more attractive.

How many people use multiple monitors?

Very few.

You'd actually be surprised how many people use dual monitors... i know lots and lots of people who do it in all walks of life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah an author that uses Linux reviews windows. Bound to be a good review

Yeah an author that uses Linux reviews windows. Bound to be a good review

Well write off what windows users have to say and now you wont listen to a third parties either...

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »

What negative features does W7 have for multimonitors. I use multimonitors on XP and W7. That said I have Ultramon on both.

I don't get the fuss about the UI tbh. You can click past it to the desktop. Looks the same as it always did then. If you want a Start menu you can add one. I'm not a big user of the start menu, so I haven't missed it.

Incidentally I switched back to W7 from w8 on my main laptop and w7 feels slower. I put W8 on a lesser laptop with 2GB ram and low end core 2 duo and it feels nippy enough.

fionny wrote: »
    You'd actually be surprised how many people use dual monitors... i know lots and lots of people who do it in all walks of life.

Well I could say the complete opposite. In fact id find it hard to find a person that even knows that they can use a dual monitor set up.

I agree to all the negative points on W8. I just don't think their that bad as everyone makes them out to be. You still retain your normal desktop experience and functionality. As said the only time I'm in the Metro user interface is when I log in. That's it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well I could say the complete opposite. In fact id find it hard to find a person that even knows that they can use a dual monitor set up.
    Yeah it's limited to those who have ever seen a talk involving a projector or tried to connect their laptop to a TV. People who have spent time in classrooms, offices, gone to public talks , those who recognise a HDMI port on a laptop or a VGA port on a TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think Metro will work out quite well for MS because, just as mobile apps have adapted their UI to suit the circumstances, this will allow of a new style desktop UI that moves away from the traditional keyboard / mouse interface.

Not that it will suit all applications but it will drive desktop developers to rethink how their UI's can become more intuitive. I can think of a couple of applications that I work on that would hugely benefit from adopting this style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

No I think their treating both users fairly as their still keeping the desktop. If I was buying a windows on arm tablet I wouldn't even want to see the desktop app.

But as a windows user on a desktop I've still got all my stuff I used on w7. All my apps are still on my taskbar. If you managed to learn how to use w7 taskbar its the same as w7. Desktop gets left out.

Times are moving on. Can't stick with the same interface that caused chaos back in w95 . Some people want to see something new. Some people might get confused or not understand it but they will have to catch up with it. As said all the functions are still there. Want all your apps? CTRL Q and you got them all. As said Microsoft is doing the right thing by putting power users second class. Because the majortiy of their market are people who can barely use it. Ok it will confuse a lot of people the first time, bit I doubt it will be for a long time. Once they get over the changes it will be back to normal

The vast majority of windows users are not power users. Many struggle to even use it and now they will have to learn it all from scratch. I would consider myself a power user and I hate this with a passion. It's a bastardized mix of a desktop and tablet system and is not my idea of progress. What use is this for anyone who has no touch screen and prefers keyboard and mouse. Certainly not progress. Should have two versions or the choice of installing metro or not.

Well one thing i can say and a lot of people will agree with me.

Once Windows 8 will launch I will be able to buy a tablet that isn't a big smartphone. Ill be able to buy a tablet that will have the same power of a PC. Yet it will be designed to look pleasing in design and easy to use with fingers not a mouse. Fair enough some people will have to learn the bezel gestures and some navigation stuff but how long does it take for some one to explain to a customer that you swipe from the bezel towards the screen and it gives you extra options.

Id be a gadget person as my gf and family describes me, i had few Android tablets from work playing around with them and testing and writing a couple of review on boards, but in the end Asus Transformer, Xoom, Flyer, iPad are all massive smart-phones. It goes no further than that.

If you own any of those you will more than likely still need a PC to offload your pics, music or whatever.

I've been using W8 on my desktop since it came out and as i mentioned it hasn't affected my productivity with the missing start button. All laptops have a power button to shut it down anyway.

If your installing a fresh version of W8 you wont have any apps. If you install apps as usual they will be added to the desktop. So you wont have to go search for them.

Will still have to wait for people to develop for the ARM infrastructure.

Well according to Microsoft most of driver support is retained for WOA.

Most average Joe's are only going to need Office apps. Everything else is online.

I wouldn't mind using an iPad or Android tablets if it had the support for USB devices like Windows does. Currently it doesn't, hence why I think current tablet generation pretty much sucks and is only good for those who don't intend doing any work at all on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Well according to Microsoft most of driver support is retained for WOA.

Most average Joe's are only going to need Office apps. Everything else is online.

At a recent presentation, Sinofsky said, a time-limited trial version of Office 15 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Onenote) will ship pre-installed with WOA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Using windows 8 for a week now and have a couple of thoughts

1) Why not have the generic desktop as the start page?

2) Why not a simple button between Metro and Desktop and vice versa

3) To get to the metro screen I have to move my pointer into the corner of the screen and then the metro icon appears but if I move my mouse to cover the icon it disappears.

4) Purely the look of metro I hate, I think for a desktop its ulgy and not very intuitive

5) When I click on an app it doesn't close when I leave the page, but when I check the left side column there could be 5 or 6 running (Slowing down the system)

6)I can live without the start button, but I think the UI is just plain and ulgy and I much prefer the windows explorer on Windows 7

And there's probably more. Although I like some of their newer quirks but is it worth changing from windows 7, I don't think so maybe if they adjust some of the about points I might be tempted but at the moment I'm sticking to 7.

Personally I can't see business going for it as it would mean a huge amount of training for employees.

Advertisement