Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options
  • 22-02-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

ms are bringing out this new "metro" for windows 8 for pc , laptops and tablets.
    This looks like an absolute joke to me. There are no programs , just "Apps"
    even office is now an app.
    Everything is done with "Tiles" not icons and personal looks like it was designed with a 3 year old kid.
    It looks like a big phone and i believe it will crash and burn
    take a look and vote in the poll

What do you think of the windows 8 new metro feature? (Watch the video first! ) 217 votes

Stupid , crash and burn
    0% 0 votes
    Great idea, Best idea ever
    57% 124 votes
    I dont know i would have to see it in person or hear external reviews.
    15% 34 votes
    It's got potential
    27% 59 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Will be fine for the simple home user.

More advanced users Wont use it.

Business wont use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Will be fine for the simple home user.

More advanced users Wont use it.

Business wont use it.
    for touch screen maybe but try getting the slide thing out , or dragging windows apps with your mouse

So what do more Advance user use , or Business use
    a different windows , mac , linux ?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

bpb101 wrote: »
    ms are bringing out this new "metro" for windows 8 for pc , laptops and tablets.
    This looks like an absolute joke to me. There are no programs , just "Apps"
    even office is now an app.
    Everything is done with "Tiles" not icons and personal looks like it was designed with a 3 year old kid.
    It looks like a big phone and i believe it will crash and burn
    take a look and vote in the poll

I've tried it on the developer version and dislike it. could be that MS want it to help people familiarize with the OS, to help in the tablet/smartphone market

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

But isnt it obvious that this is just one type of view, you will obviously be able to set a traditional style desktop, all this is boils down to is it being another level of personalisation depending on your setup .

And everything isnt done on tiles not icons you can clearly see during the video there is a standard desktop icon setup there at 3:19 on the video . this video is obviously only showing a new feature/option

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As I look at how I interact with some apps on my mobile in comparison to desktop UI's I actually see the advantage in the Metro style interface in some scenarios.

• Advertisement

vicM wrote: »
    I've tried it on the developer version and dislike it. could be that MS want it to help people familiarize with the OS, to help in the tablet/smartphone market

where did you get the developer version ? i would like to try it out myself , have a look at it ?

that is if it open for demo

its clear there trying to push the phones and tablets more , and that why this is out , but will it ruin the desktop?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Apps and programs are the same thing. Tiles seems to be a cross between icons and widgets. As long as the information shown in them is useful and there isn't too much of it causing it to look cluttered they'll be fine and a nice improvement. For touchscreen tablets the interface looks very good to me. We'll have to wait and see what the traditional laptop/desktop interface will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LimkUL

where did you get the developer version ? i would like to try it out myself , have a look at it ?

its clear there trying to push the phones and tablets more , and that why this is out , but will it ruin the desktop?

Available here, may want to wait for Consumer preview edition end of the month which is being released with Messenger and few other consumer apps included I believe

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Consumer Preview/Beta Release expected to be announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain on 29/3/12.

It is expected to include the App Store (Skype etc), Calendar, Skydrive, Mail, Camera, Photos.

Apps and programs are the same thing. Tiles seems to be a cross between icons and widgets. As long as the information shown in them is useful and there isn't too much of it causing it to look cluttered they'll be fine and a nice improvement. For touchscreen tablets the interface looks very good to me. We'll have to wait and see what the traditional laptop/desktop interface will be like.

it quite clear that its aimed at touchscreen but using with a keyboard and mouse ?
    i know there the same thing , just pointing out the are calling them apps like the word "programs" never existed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

it quite clear that its aimed at touchscreen but using with a keyboard and mouse ?
    i know there the same thing , just pointing out the are calling them apps like the word "programs" never existed

You won't be using it with a keyboard and mouse. There will be two interfaces, one for tablets and one for traditional desktops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 LimkUL

A cool hack to get back the old style Start Menu... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAuvlmPbJE&feature=related

I was sick of the new metro start already! And AlmightyCushion you are correct there are two interfaces, Developer is just touch the consumer preview will hopefully have the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On a historical note , power users and sysadmins tend to use older interfaces, or change every setting back to "classic"

This will have a knock on effect in support for end users. How many of ye couldn't find the icon to add/remove programs when it was last changed ?

I find the new unity interface in ubunu unusable for all but the simplest tasks and would not be able to provide telephone support for it unless I had an untweaked copy of it running locally , which I would never have.

Windows 95 , with the right click, exposed many more settings to users that we previously buried in control panel. This looks like a step back towards that.

Touchscreen interfaces are great for consuming media. Mouse and keyboard are better for data entry , producing media if you like. There is a bit of chalk and cheese about it and one size doesn't come remotely close to fitting all. The danger with touchscreen interfaces is that it really doesn't matter what is under the bonnet, ipad , pc or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

vicM wrote: »

Downloaded from the Microsoft site, haven't checked if it is still available. I struggled to find the shutdown button the first time! But could be just the version in question.
    One thing of note though..ISO files are now natively recognised so don't have to use the likes of deamon. Don't know how well that will go down with the European anti-competition arm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I voted crash and burn, but unfortunately I don't think that will happen.
    Like others, I feel that the metro UI is great for Windows Phone and the Windows Tablet market. But it's definitely not a good desktop environment and as was alluded to in a Microsoft conference, Microsoft feel that the tablet and phone market will over take the laptop/desktop market and I guess this move also shows that opinion.

Personally I am a programmer and I will NEVER stop using a normal keyboard & mouse for a touch-screen alternative. My productivity would fall by 90% if I tried. I don't think desktop/laptops will or can be replaced by touch-screen. I'm sure Microsoft understand this too since they are a software company at the end of the day. What I would like to see is Microsoft branch 'Metro' to be it's OS for mobile/touch-screen devices and leave Windows to what it's good at!

In-fairness though, if all the big game dev's would just start developing for Linux I would never use Windows :P

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I voted crash and burn, but unfortunately I don't think that will happen.
    Like others, I feel that the metro UI is great for Windows Phone and the Windows Tablet market. But it's definitely not a good desktop environment and as was alluded to in a Microsoft conference, Microsoft feel that the tablet and phone market will over take the laptop/desktop market and I guess this move also shows that opinion.

Personally I am a programmer and I will NEVER stop using a normal keyboard & mouse for a touch-screen alternative. My productivity would fall by 90% if I tried. I don't think desktop/laptops will or can be replaced by touch-screen. I'm sure Microsoft understand this too since they are a software company at the end of the day. What I would like to see is Microsoft branch 'Metro' to be it's OS for mobile/touch-screen devices and leave Windows to what it's good at!

In-fairness though, if all the big game dev's would just start developing for Linux I would never use Windows :P
    Everything indicates that is what is happening. Microsoft has said multiple times now that, that is the tablet interface and for laptops and pcs we will have a standard desktop interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Everything indicates that is what is happening. Microsoft has said multiple times now that, that is the tablet interface and for laptops and pcs we will have a standard desktop interface.
    I know the Metro UI is for touch-screen and they have left the old Windows 7 UI or something very similar (I read somewhere, can't remember where, could have been this forum, that they have removed the start button :eek:) as the normal desktop.

It is very clear that Windows 8 is being developed for touch-screen, but my problem is the desktop/laptop end of things is very much being left on the bench with this new release. As Capt'n Midnight said touch-screen and desktop markets are so different one OS cannot cater for both. That's why I said I wish they would split the two into separate OS's.

I do feel touch-screen has legitimate uses and it can be very useful, but I definitely don't want a crappy touch-screen UI forced onto my desktop/laptop in 5 years time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no need to split into different OS's , as long as user can choose either interface.

If the user can't choose the interface then they really need to be very very clear in the way they market it.

Look at all the confusion about windows media centre
    or the plethora of Windows CE devices sold as netbooks

At present I've a ubuntu install and I'm wondering whether to give up on it and roll back to 10.04 because the unity user interface is wojas even when you've tweaked it back to 2D and fixed the menus. The current ubuntu UI is fine for a touch screen, as long as you don't intend to change setting soften or install any software that isn't the software centre.

I would hate that to happen with windows too. But at this stage microsoft of all people should know how their users will react to yet another major UI change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The growing trend of Tablets and Touch Screen All in One desktops, and the shrinking trend of Laptops and Desktops, would indicate to me you'll see lots more of the touch UI. Nobody is suggesting you will type up a paper without a keyboard, but for most tasks it can be accomplished with a touch screen. Or, as some tech is beginning to allude, your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I just installed the Consumer Preview on a VM and I have to say its awful... how can they think they will get away with this. The interface might lend itself to a tablet but it certainly doesnt lend itself to a keyboard and mouse.

Businesses are going to give this a wide berth and I think I will be do... very dissapointed.

Couldnt see a way of turning off metro which wouldve been the obvious choice for MS to build in or have a Classic mode...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just installed this on my 3 1/2 year old laptop and I'm not sure about it. I'm just going straight to the old desktop but I keep going to where the start button used to be to try and load programs and access the control panel and the like. I think Metro is really only aimed at touch capable devices, but I'm still struggling a bit to work out how to run apps without going back to that Metro menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fionny wrote: »
    I just installed the Consumer Preview on a VM and I have to say its awful... how can they think they will get away with this. The interface might lend itself to a tablet but it certainly doesnt lend itself to a keyboard and mouse.

Businesses are going to give this a wide berth and I think I will be do... very dissapointed.

Couldnt see a way of turning off metro which wouldve been the obvious choice for MS to build in or have a Classic mode...
    Based on the above post, I understand a large swathe of consumers will absolutely flip their sh*t when this becomes the Operating System of their time.

I still have the odd customer complaining that we don't sell laptops with XP. Sigh.

I think I will be going back to Windows 7 soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I will probably try out the consumer preview this weekend but I honestly can't see it replacing windows 7 on my desktop. I multi task with 8+ programs and the new interface looks terrible for heavy users like me.

That said I can imagine it working extremely well on a tablet or HTPC with kinect. Coupled with windows home server, sharing and consuming media across a home network will be a breeze, I just don't expect to get any work done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mossie

sink wrote: »
    I will probably try out the consumer preview this weekend but I honestly can't see it replacing windows 7 on my desktop. I multi task with 8+ programs and the new interface looks terrible for heavy users like me.

That said I can imagine it working extremely well on a tablet or HTPC with kinect. Coupled with windows home server, sharing and consuming media across a home network will be a breeze, I just don't expect to get any work done with it.

I'm sure it will be fine on touch screens or tablets but for day to day use on keyboard and mouse it's not up to much. There are good points like the new task manager but overall I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me given time.

I'm back to Windows 7 already. Doing my head in not having a start menu and having to flip to that metro screen every time I want to run something.

Overheal wrote: »
    Based on the above post, I understand a large swathe of consumers will absolutely flip their sh*t when this becomes the Operating System of their time.

I still have the odd customer complaining that we don't sell laptops with XP. Sigh.

Ah dude im not one of those I am an early adopter, I installed Windows 7 in very early beta and ran it as my main OS consistently since then. I had done the same with Vista before that.

Windows 8 just does NOT work in a desktop enviornment as it currently stands. Its a major f**k up by microsoft.

A friend put it right:

Every Second MS os is a just a beta for the next:

Win 8 = ME, Win 9 = XP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I've had about 4 hours working with the CP version on native hardware (Core 2 2GHz, SSD, 4GB).
    First impressions are that, unlike 7, I won't be preordering.

I like the Storage pool & hopefully bitlocker will be included on the Win8 Pro equivalent. Allowing some basic gui applications / multiproc functionality in the command line repair console is nice.

Perhaps it's because this nvidia isn't supported yet, or more dotNet code, but it seems very sluggish in many areas, and much quicker in others.

I thought that hidden menus with no feedback was a big UI no-no. You've to wave your mouse right into each corner of the desktop to see the options.

That panel is really annoying though. I've found myself learning all the windows key shortcuts that I've neglected over the years to avoid that page. At the very, very least I want it to default to the 'All Apps' view.
    I greatly prefer the win 7 desktop with Fences.

Seems to be very slow in many areas to permit typing into many textboxes.

I don't yet see many options in the mmc group policy object editor to disable it, or the sliding pre-login screen. Does anyone know whether the executable responsible for that panel can be simply renamed to, say, the powershell or file manager link?

Advertisement