Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Fibre has been laid in rush I think they are doing quicker to get around the issue with the inter connector

The fibre itself or the red ducting ?
    The guys were down again in Balbriggan last night laying the red ducting, and they told me that once they've finished, Eircom will take over and start pulling the fibre through the ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

GBCULLEN wrote: »

Cheers GB. Looks like I'm in luck and covered in phase 2 rollout.

Can't wait to get it. It'll make WFH a lot easier anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

Can anybody beat my eircom broadband speed!!!!

Just completed a speed test after eircom closed my tech query:

Speed results

Test date
    Fri Nov 09 2012 20:41:15 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
    Download Speed
    0.08 Mb/s

This is equal to
    76 kbps
    Upload Speed
    0.06 Mb/s
    This is equal to
    62 kbps
    Latency
    1198 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

Any updates for Eircom fibre rollout in Tralee, Co. Kerry? I had seen Eircom enginners laying fibre cables in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Delboy5

GBCULLEN wrote: »

My exchange is listed as "WSEA APT Node" and "BMB".....what does this mean !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

WSEA = Wholesale Symmetrical Ethernet Access
    WEIL = Wholesale Ethernet Interconnect Link

APT appears to be a type of Eircom node that will just connect into the NGB exchanges. According to ComReg these will not allow for interconnects with other operators.

BMB seems to refer to broadband (e.g. DSL).

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

markad1 wrote: »

Lots of people will get vastly improved services once Eircom release their new products.

Hopefully you will too.

I saw Eircom / KN putting new cabinets in Coolock / Belcamp. Also, KN doing a lot of work in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I know it's probably been answered already but there are a lot of pages to read back over.

What kind of speeds can be expected once the fibre has been rolled out? I live about 200 metres from a new Eircom cabinet albeit at the far end of the housing estate, so there could be a lot of houses in between my house and the exchange if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

markc1184 wrote: »
    I know it's probably been answered already but there are a lot of pages to read back over.

What kind of speeds can be expected once the fibre has been rolled out? I live about 200 metres from a new Eircom cabinet albeit at the far end of the housing estate, so there could be a lot of houses in between my house and the exchange if that makes a difference.

distance from the exchange and the fact its copper lines from your house to the new cabinet will affect speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

markc1184 wrote: »

Somebody left up a table of info a few pages back (about the distant from a cabinet or exchange to your house).

I do believe I saw Eircom engineers on the Southern Cross in Bray laying fiber cables (green) beside one of the housing estates just today. I saw them elsewhere in the town yesterday laying cables.

How is it that we can get UPC for tv but there is no fiber bb here in Greystones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

red_bairn wrote: »

How is it that we can get UPC for tv but there is no fiber bb here in Greystones?

Common problem that so ask UPC when they intend to sort you out...I doubt you will get a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Common problem that so ask UPC when they intend to sort you out...I doubt you will get a straight answer.

You won't get a straight answer. "Area is not yet broadband enabled, but we will contact you, should this change".
    They won't answer the question.

It feels like it was only yesterday I was on 100/100 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Liamario wrote: »
    You won't get a straight answer. "Area is not yet broadband enabled, but we will contact you, should this change".
    They won't answer the question.

MMDS can be used received by nearly anyone on the country. Its a crappy analogue thing.

Where as proper UPC Digital & Broadband can only come through the Coax fiber network which only exists in some cities and towns.

will Vodafone etc be able to resell the fiber product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Hogzy wrote: »
    MMDS can be used received by nearly anyone on the country. Its a crappy analogue thing.

Where as proper UPC Digital & Broadband can only come through the Coax fiber network which only exists in some cities and towns.

Thought MMDS was digital? And that UPC are in nearly ALL cities and towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

irishgeo wrote: »
    will Vodafone etc be able to resell the fiber product.

Everyone will be able to resell the new products. That's part of the reason for the delay. Comreg negotiations, negotiations with the resellers etc. Incredible that Eircom have been so slow to resolve this. Hundreds of thousands of people should be enjoying the faster speeds by now. This is 2012 and Eircom have abandoned exchanges altogether, provide dialup equivilant speeds to a lot of their customers, and are years behind their european peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I have it in wexford and what a disappointment it has been for me.

Paying for 150Mbps, on average I get 25Mbps. But sometimes it spikes up to 70Mbps, not usually though. Ping can be dire at times and I get a lot of disconnects/connection timeouts. This is new FTTH in a relatively new estate, mind you. With the cost per month of the service I wouldn't expect that all my neighbours are using it either, so that rules out congestion to an extent.

I have a query lodged with eircom for the past couple months now (it's only taking so long because nobody seems to know what to do and they never, ever remember to call me back).

So, while it's great on paper, it might not be so great in practice. I shouldn't really complain too much though, I know quite a lot of the country is struggling to get even 1 meg broadband.

*sigh*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Praetorian wrote: »
    Incredible that Eircom have been so slow to resolve this.

Comreg are trying to resolve it for them with this "Local Exchange Area" definition. Mind you the responses from the industry were glacial so it looks like being stuck in the regulatory trenches for quite a while.

They can launch in January BUT with line rental included in the cost.

• Advertisement

Can anyone please think Tralee, Co. Kerry is also a FTTC area, FTTH or both FTTH/FTTC? I had seen KN / Eircom installing green fibre cabinets (FTTC) in some areas of Tralee, Co. Kerry.

Can anyone please think Tralee, Co. Kerry is also a FTTC area, FTTH or both FTTH/FTTC? I had seen KN / Eircom installing green fibre cabinets (FTTC) in some areas of Tralee, Co. Kerry.
    I don't think anywhere apart from the pilot areas is getting FTTH to be honest.

I live less than 1km from the exchange in Tralee, Co. Kerry. I haven't seen any fibre cabinets at my estate. I only saw the Eircom engineers laying orange fibre cables at my estate in Tralee. Do you think it is FTTH?

I live less than 1km from the exchange in Tralee, Co. Kerry. I haven't seen any fibre cabinets at my estate. I only saw the Eircom engineers laying orange fibre cables at my estate in Tralee. Do you think it is FTTH?

I took a peak at the cables in the building I was living in, while in Korea, and the cables were yellow. I saw the same cable being fed through a cabinet (or perhaps the access cover - on the ground) in Bray.

http://s255.beta.photobucket.com/user/redbairn/media/internetspeedtest.jpg.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

pics a bit blurry but it does look like a FTTC cabinet

the fibre itself is green, the orange you would have seen would have been the subduct being pulled in

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/redbairn/P1012703.jpg

Here's what the FTTH setup looked like inside the entrance to the apartment block where I was living.

did you hav an individual fibre then to each apartment ?

arctan wrote: »
    did you hav an individual fibre then to each apartment ?

Well I'm assuming those red and blues cables are the ones connected to each apartment (12). See the previous post I made. It has the speedtest results. :D

Nice !! cool setup, hadn't seen it before

• Advertisement

i'm confused...
    1. Is the orange fibre cable (subducting) used for FTTC or FTTH?
    2. Can FTTC reach speeds beyond 50Mbps in theory?

Advertisement