Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pub loses its pulling power

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

The Vintners Association had more pull in this country than any other lobby group. If fact the only time I remember FF The republican Party back benchers getting upset, was when pub incomes were threatened.

The madness started in the late 90's and spiralled out of control from then on.

There are signs of sanity returning (drop in prices), but it will be interesting to see if they can take on the big supermkt chains and win. i doubt it. but this increase of /new min price for beer in supermkts - for 'our health' no less, might go through. the scumbuckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Cannot believe they managed to get through that article without referring directly to the main problem - the prices in pubs as opposed to drinking at home, and it's attendant problem, the unwillingness of publicans to lower prices to compete.

They act like they're some sort of special group that have a right to keep their prices twice that of the competitor yet still expect the business.

Problem lies with the breweries not with the publican(some of them, yes..), I am in the business 11 years and my family 23 years in total. We've always been known to be a fair pub. A pint of Beamish, Carling or Fosters is €3, Heineken, Bud etc is €3.80, Guinness and Murphy's is €3.50. Vodka and Dash is €3.50 and Irish Whiskey is €3.50 - We absolutely cannot sustain any cheaper prices than this, we would simply go out of business, we have never lived the life of luxury and we never got greedy. We offer free pool on Tues-Thurs and have 5 dart boards that are always free for our customers.

Yet we are still in trouble.. I find that our prices are very reasonable, we have a lovely modern looking bar with friendly staff, the quality of drink is second to none and the lines are well maintained by ourselves regularly and vigilantly. It's fair to say we are experts in our field and by that reason should be doing a lot better than we are.

There are numerous problems, one of them is the price of alcohol in supermarkets, a "pint" of lager should not be cheaper than a pint of milk, ever. Supermarkets are selling beer below cost to get people in to buy groceries, sometimes as low as €15 for 24 bottles of a selected premium brand. It's insane, and is promoting an alcoholic culture, you may say that's rich coming from me, but it's true. The absolute greed of the breweries is another problem, the likes of Diageo who control a large amount of the drinks trade set prices that cause publicans to charge exorbitant prices to consumers. I don't think any pint in the country should cost more than €4.50, I understand pubs have rent/mortgage/wages/sky/electricity/rates to pay but they are making it very hard for people to come out for a drink. Going out with the missus and getting no change from a tenner, or being asked for more is a disgrace.

TL;DR - Not all pubs rip people off, breweries and supermarkets need to take some blame, culture of alcoholism imminent.

Edit: My pub is in Cork City, not rural, not Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

1/ a pint should be no more than 3 euro
    2/ the jacks needs to be pristine
    3/ turn the music down - or better OFF
    4/ turn the fcuking sports off
    5/ have a decent food option if possible
    6/ have attentive staff, not c.unts who think they are some kind of nazi pharmacist .

ive been in some pubs where 5 years ago or more , they would barely acknowledge you ,
    now they are licking your hole like a rabid dog to keep you there

paybacks a bitch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Dave147 wrote: »
    Problem lies with the breweries not with the publican(some of them, yes..), I am in the business 11 years and my family 23 years in total. We've always been known to be a fair pub. A pint of Beamish, Carling or Fosters is €3, Heineken, Bud etc is €3.80, Guinness and Murphy's is €3.50. Vodka and Dash is €3.50 and Irish Whiskey is €3.50 - We absolutely cannot sustain any cheaper prices than this, we would simply go out of business, we have never lived the life of luxury and we never got greedy. We offer free pool on Tues-Thurs and have 5 dart boards that are always free for our customers.

Yet we are still in trouble.. I find that our prices are very reasonable, we have a lovely modern looking bar with friendly staff, the quality of drink is second to none and the lines are well maintained by ourselves regularly and vigilantly. It's fair to say we are experts in our field and by that reason should be doing a lot better than we are.

There are numerous problems, one of them is the price of alcohol in supermarkets, a "pint" of lager should not be cheaper than a pint of milk, ever. Supermarkets are selling beer below cost to get people in to buy groceries, sometimes as low as €15 for 24 bottles of a selected premium brand. It's insane, and is promoting an alcoholic culture, you may say that's rich coming from me, but it's true. The absolute greed of the breweries is another problem, the likes of Diageo who control a large amount of the drinks trade set prices that cause publicans to charge exorbitant prices to consumers. I don't think any pint in the country should cost more than €4.50, I understand pubs have rent/mortgage/wages/sky/electricity/rates to pay but they are making it very hard for people to come out for a drink. Going out with the missus and getting no change from a tenner, or being asked for more is a disgrace.

TL;DR - Not all pubs rip people off, breweries and supermarkets need to take some blame, culture of alcoholism imminent.

The reality here Dave is that nobody owes you a living. The country is littered with failed businesses and the unemployed and publicans are not special or different. If people want their drink cheaper but to stay at home with it , that is their choice. Publicans want to remove their choices away from them. The only thing a pub has to offer is the fact that it is a public place. Instead of trying to make alcohol dearer for people who cannot afford it so you can have a job at their expense , why don't you try selling cans for a Euro each ? If the Brewerys are to blame for over priced kegs then why not offer customers this cheaper option of cans. The people are bankrupt and they have wised up too. They don't want to and cannot afford to be paying premium prices for ''added value'' bells and whistles which is code for a con job. It is especially insulting and sticks in your throat when publicans try to make this a fait accompli by lobbying politicians to force the competitors in the supermarkets and off licenses to raise their prices through legislation. It's greedy bullsh1t and it's not born of concern for the customers. We know all about how concerned publicans are for their customers' intake of alcohol when we compare the extortionate prices of a glass of cola or orange to the price of a pint. We also saw some publicans clamoring to try and charge for tap water a greedy and selfish move which they havent gotten away with and which many of us havent forgotten. We also haven't forgotten how some pubs greedily raised the price of a pint when a match was on. Pubs obviously exist in capitalism to make money out of dealing a legal drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

psychward wrote: »

The reality here Dave is that nobody owes you a living. The country is littered with failed businesses and the unemployed and publicans are not special or different. If people want their drink cheaper but to stay at home with it , that is their choice. Publicans want to remove their choices away from them. The only thing a pub has to offer is the fact that it is a public place. Instead of trying to make alcohol dearer for people who cannot afford it so you can have a job at their expense , why don't you try selling cans for a Euro each ? If the Brewerys are to blame for over priced kegs then why not offer customers this cheaper option of cans. The people are bankrupt and they have wised up too. They don't want to and cannot afford to be paying premium prices for ''added value'' bells and whistles which is code for a con job. It is especially insulting and sticks in your throat when publicans try to make this a fait accompli by lobbying politicians to force the competitors in the supermarkets and off licenses to raise their prices through legislation. It's greedy bullsh1t and it's not born of concern for the customers. We know all about how concerned publicans are for their customers' intake of alcohol when we compare the extortionate prices of a glass of cola or orange to the price of a pint. We also saw some publicans clamoring to try and charge for tap water a greedy and selfish move which they havent gotten away with and which many of us havent forgotten. We also haven't forgotten how some pubs greedily raised the price of a pint when a match was on. Pubs obviously exist in capitalism to make money out of dealing a legal drug.

Landlord of pub in cork, ignore the ignorant post. The public support you and admire your dedication to your profession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

liffeylite wrote: »
    Landlord of pub in cork, ignore the ignorant post. The public support you and admire your dedication to your profession.

The ''ignorant post'' is the one quoted above. Anyone with half a brain who checks out the post history can see an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

psychward wrote: »
    Well said psychward.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,702 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Price is only not a factor if you have the goods to back it up. If I was going to go to a really nice place for a drink, I'd pay a little extra. Problem is lots of places now are just pieces of sh(t to hang out in, and only good for getting drunk in if the price is right. A good pub has to be somewhere you'd want to go even if drink was not the main aim.

...and the price.

But no I don't at all mind if its value. There are a couple places in Charleston I wouldn't mind dropping more money on a drink for the sake of the scene. Places you can sit in big leather chairs, light cigars and crack open craft bottles - even play chess. And then you have the bar down the road where the girls dance on the counter, do wet t-shirt contests and do some kinky things with a bottle of liquor. Offy won't do that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport
    2005 BMW 320CD M-Sport
    Absolutely scraping a living by... kudos to you and the family.. We all know times are hard but sure we have to make ends meet...

Get a grip! You have a clearly defined agenda the same as the rest in your trade!! BOO HOO people won't take being ripped off anymore.. Tough luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Times are tough for everyone, we all have bills to pay. Its a bit ironic that we didnt hear the publicans worrying about Irelands " alcoholic culture" during the boom times when their pubs were packed and back in the day when the pub carpark was full of people driving home after a feed of beer. For many of us it was a godsend that we were able to get reasonably priced alcohol in the supermarket but now a Labour minister has decided to stick her nose into our lives telling us she is worried we are all borderline alcoholics so the only answer to that is to up the prices in off licenses. Bit strange that this is coming at the same time as the VFI is going on about the pub trade being down. Just because some people cant handle their drink the price will be put up for everyone. And it wont stop the alcoholics drinking as they will buy it no matter what price it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Everyone back to my place for fine wine and cheese !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,702 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we have never lived the life of luxury and we never got greedy
    And yet I can't stop admiring the rims on the BMW you are trying to sell there. Perhaps because you could afford it when times were good, eh? Though if google serves me straight and true, you only bought that car just last year?

Not trying to rip you or anything but it is kind of odd. Perhaps one should tighten thine own belt to weather the shifting alcohol economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the pubs are only ripoff merchants and this is why I stopped going as well. I couldn't care less if every pub in Ireland closed down. as a poster here said earlier that half the pubs you walk into are a kip so unless they dramatically lower their prices people will abstain from going to them.

I really find it hard to believe that they don't think price is an issue, are they living on a different planet ? I have a way better time drinking at home with the lads and girls than in any kip like most of the pubs i know. greed is destroying them and they are still whinging about it, lower your prices or follow suit to all the other pubs which went out of business and stop whinging like little girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

pebbles21 wrote: »
    How about a pub that that has an Off License inside instead of a Bar,selling Cans,bottles etc at a slightly higher price than a regular off license to offset costs?
    Seen this on holidays somewhere ...it was a off license with a big beer garden ...place was packed all the time
    There was a place in at home in longford like this not long ago,had a casino licence,was able to sell cans,bottles and wine,no hard liquer,and it could stay open until the owner decided to go home!it was great,pool tables and few slot machines up stairs,and card games going during the week,it was in a house in the centre of town that was converyed into it for this purpose!the local publicans had a mickey fit over it for about two years!the place used to be absolutely packed from at night because of the no kicking out time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are you saying supermarkets rip off people with regard to alcohol? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

liffeylite wrote: »

Didn't realise you'd been elected to speak for everyone else on the thread. :rolleyes:

And it wasn't an ignorant post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

It's interesting that the Black Sheep is mentioned in the accompanying pub-crawl article as being pretty busy. It very much seems as though those kind of pubs (Against the Grain, the Bull and Castle, the Porterhouse etc) are doing a lot better than the average, and I suspect it's because of what they're selling. A bottle of Rochefort 10 will set you back six euro in Redmond's off-licence in Ralenagh, or 7.20 in the Porterhouse, so if I decide to go out and spend thirty quid on beer of a Friday I can drink four in the Porterhouse or get five from Redmond's. If I want to drink Budweiser, though, I can buy six of those in an ordinary Dublin pub or twenty-four of them from Tesco.

Large numbers of Irish pubs are going to go to the wall, and the ones that survive are going to be the ones that have a specific reason. The craft beer pubs will survive; the pubs near busy stadia (Croke Park, the Aviva, Thomond and the RDS) will get by on matchday revenue; the better pubs in the middle of office districts will get decent money from afterwork pints. If you can't point to a specific reason why your pub is going to do well, then it's probably going to be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Turpentine wrote: »
    No it's not an argument, you're approaching it from a position of guess work. All I'm saying is that you should do a little research before insisting you know everything about off-sales and supermarkets.

Have you never heard of loss-leaders? Used to create footfall.

Of course I've heard of loss-leaders, can you give me an example of one? I'd go to an off-licence as much as a supermarket depending on what I'm after because the prices are damn close. All off-licences sell is alcohol so I doubt they're selling all their drink at a loss.

And again, I've looked at the duty etc. for the UK and here and there's a bigger margin here. The wholesalers may be charging more but I doubt it's to the point that it's getting near places selling below cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

It's interesting that the Black Sheep is mentioned in the accompanying pub-crawl article as being pretty busy.
    I just noticed yesterday its new name. It's the second or third name it has had over the last couple of years. Different ownership? But yeah, every time I've passed by it's always very quiet. Wouldn't think of it as busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

went in to a pub the other day to see the last ten minutes of the liverpool v utd game. 3.50 for a sparkling water with a dash of lime. no wonder the place was empty at 2 o clock on a saturday.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    And yet I can't stop admiring the rims on the BMW you are trying to sell there. Perhaps because you could afford it when times were good, eh? Though if google serves me straight and true, you only bought that car just last year?

Not trying to rip you or anything but it is kind of odd. Perhaps one should tighten thine own belt to weather the shifting alcohol economy?

Perhaps if you knew where I got the funds for the car it would help. I'll give you a clue, it certainly wasn't from the bar trade. It's my family's business, I have other interests. I never said we were poverty stricken, and we never ripped off anyone, tar us all with the same brush why don't you.. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Also, what agenda do I have? I'm simply defending my trade, we're not all moneygrabbing leeches. The sooner you all realise that the better, bunch of hypocrites I can imagine, I'm sure you all never go out for a drink and enjoy it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It's interesting that the Black Sheep is mentioned in the accompanying pub-crawl article as being pretty busy. It very much seems as though those kind of pubs (Against the Grain, the Bull and Castle, the Porterhouse etc) are doing a lot better than the average, and I suspect it's because of what they're selling. A bottle of Rochefort 10 will set you back six euro in Redmond's off-licence in Ralenagh, or 7.20 in the Porterhouse, so if I decide to go out and spend thirty quid on beer of a Friday I can drink four in the Porterhouse or get five from Redmond's. If I want to drink Budweiser, though, I can buy six of those in an ordinary Dublin pub or twenty-four of them from Tesco.

Large numbers of Irish pubs are going to go to the wall, and the ones that survive are going to be the ones that have a specific reason. The craft beer pubs will survive; the pubs near busy stadia (Croke Park, the Aviva, Thomond and the RDS) will get by on matchday revenue; the better pubs in the middle of office districts will get decent money from afterwork pints. If you can't point to a specific reason why your pub is going to do well, then it's probably going to be in trouble.

QFT - the pubs such as L Mulligan Grocer, Bull and Castle, Against the Grain etc are all going to do better than their competition who insist on having the same list of beers - Heineken, Bud, Carlsberg, Guinness and pretty much just the same in Bottles.

You simply can't expect people to remain satisfied and keep going to pubs with the same limited choice in every single place.

Pubs need to differentiate themselves rather than hoping the same tired old formula is going to magically start working again. Complaining about it in a newspaper without adressing any of the fundamentals that are the cause of their own problems in the first place isn't going to get them anywhere.

For the record,

I didn't come here to moan about how tough the bar business is or how we can't afford 3 holidays a year etc. Time's are tough for everyone, I understand that, but don't kick a man while he's down. My family never inherited anything, we started with nothing and I worked from a very young age, my father taught me to earn my living and I respect that.

It's about time some of you here learned that we are not all the same, as I said previously, we've been in the bar business for 23 years, I've been involved on-off for 11 years, throughout that time we've never been called greedy or a rip off pub.. The reason for that is simple enough, we're not in the business to rip people off, our prices are about as cheap as you will find without sacrificing quality.

To be honest I really don't know what to say to appease some people, there are some of you here who have a serious chip on their shoulder with regard to all publicans. Stereotype much?

With regard to my comment about Supermarkets, the problem there is that drink is becoming too accessible as a daily habit. Whatever about my "agenda" as a publican it's not rocket science to see that binge drinking at home (or in pubs for that matter) is bad for your health and bad for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

For the record,

I didn't come here to moan about how tough the bar business is or how we can't afford 3 holidays a year etc. Time's are tough for everyone, I understand that, but don't kick a man while he's down. My family never inherited anything, we started with nothing and I worked from a very young age, my father taught me to earn my living and I respect that.

It's about time some of you here learned that we are not all the same, as I said previously, we've been in the bar business for 23 years, I've been involved on-off for 11 years, throughout that time we've never been called greedy or a rip off pub.. The reason for that is simple enough, we're not in the business to rip people off, our prices are about as cheap as you will find without sacrificing quality.

To be honest I really don't know what to say to appease some people, there are some of you here who have a serious chip on their shoulder with regard to all publicans. Stereotype much?

With regard to my comment about Supermarkets, the problem there is that drink is becoming too accessible as a daily habit. Whatever about my "agenda" as a publican it's not rocket science to see that binge drinking at home (or in pubs for that matter) is bad for your health and bad for society.

For the record - I wasn't having a go at you.
    My point is - places that offer choice certainly appear to be doing a whole whack better than places selling the same old stuff.
    Although I've never been in the cuckoos nest, i'm fairly certain that I can tell you exactly what they have on tap and in their coolers, and it will be the exact same product list in 95% of pubs around the country.

There are far more beers available for pubs to sell, but for some unknown reason, pubs don't want to embrace this and prefer to sell the same as everyother pub.

As regards Diageo. sure they're the big boys, but what about this.

what about the 10 or so independent breweries that exist out there?

what about the 3e a pints lads, stout, larger and ale - and it micro brewed and fuk guinness and the rest of them fuk em.

if publicans want to band together, do so and fight Diageo not the fuking customers!

nearly 3e for a coke? is that Diageo's fault?

if the law restricts who you purchase from, lobby for THAT law to change, not for your supermkt competitors to lower their prices.

in short, act like a fuking business, not a 'special case' business.

for farming, perhaps, as food security is vital. but the drinks trade?? get a fuking grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

For the record,

My family never inherited anything, we started with nothing and I worked from a very young age, my father taught me to earn my living and I respect that.

We're not fooled by the rocks that you got, you're just dave147 from the block

Round up nine other publicans. Cut a deal with 2 or 3 Irish microbreweries. (tell me, any restrictions buying from UK microbreweries if you had to?)

Call yourselves the CADS (Cork Against Diageo Scumbags.)

advertise it, buy together in bulk or if that's not legal, buy separately, but from the same 2 or 3 micros.

I tell you this. Diageo would soon sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dave147,
    The reason people here have a chip on our shoulders about publicans is simple - every single last one of us have been ripped off by publicans time and time and time again. And now that we're finally too broke to fork out the outrageous pub prices and choose to drink at home, publicans lobby for laws forcing their competitors (supermarkets) to increase their prices in order to force people back to pay their bloated prices! It actually ****ing beggars belief!!!!

I've a question I've always wondered about. Do pubs have to buy alcohol from approved vintners suppliers. I'm asking because if the supermarkets are selling below cost why not buy it from there.
    I've never understood the cost of soft drinks. I don't drink much so I end up buying soft drinks. Frequently I find I'm buying a 250ml bottle of a soft drink for a price that is more than 2L in the supermarket. So I don't bother doing that much anymore. I have no problem paying more than I'd pay if drinking it at home but you get to a stage where it gets annoying.
    yes, there are strict restrictions, pubs cannot buy from supermkts. THAT is what they need to lobby against.

but they can buy from alternative breweries. as for splits etc, not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...With regard to my comment about Supermarkets, the problem there is that drink is becoming too accessible as a daily habit. Whatever about my "agenda" as a publican it's not rocket science to see that binge drinking at home (or in pubs for that matter) is bad for your health and bad for society.

I have seen over decades, many decades, people who constantly live across a bar counter.
    They do their daily work, head homeward via a pub first, get home, eat and then later return to their favourite pub again.
    They do this for many inner week days daily and on the weekends, returning to same pubs, oft times to be there all day and night - going home in between for a bite to eat!
    Let be clear - fair enough, if thats what they wish to do, so be it. Its what makes them happy.

My point is that drink has ALWAYS been accessible as a daily habit!
    NOW just because the supermarkets are beating the pubs at their own game, we hear the cries of the VFI and its alternates, we hear the moaning from many of those that failed to adapt and prepare for possible market conditions changing (and they did)!

Drink has ALWAYS been accessible as a daily habit!
    Don't not try using that excuse!
    Many, many pub owners were quite happy when drink was easily accessible in the past daily!
    We didn't hear them moaning them as they daily, by the hour and week, took the cash off the regular customers!

Absolute PR balderdash of an excuse!

Advertisement