Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320CD M-Sport

Options
  • 10-01-2011 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Basically looking for advice on one of these. I had my heart set on a 2.0TDI Audi A4 up until recently when I started looking at the above car, the E46 model, maybe 2004-2005.. I've just sold a 318 2.0 recently and it was an OK drive, just wondering what this one is like, I intend to find one for a test drive soon anyway.

So if you had ~11k which one would you take? I am open to other suggestions also for giggles but really it's more than likely down to these two. I know alot about Audi's but feck all about the BMW.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Here's a previous post of mine: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68858411&postcount=17

You won't get a clean '05 M-sport for 11K - you might find them advertised, but it'll need work, and will be a headache.

A properly maintained 320Cd is a great all rounder in fairness. I've been pleasantly surprised by my one - it ticks all the boxes for me and it's ticking them rather well. Make sure to do the homework on any prospective purchase - very easy to pickup a problematic one (see post link above for specifics).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I've seen a few clean 04s for that money but 05 is just out of reach you're right, I don't particularly want to go over budget either.

What kind of mpg should I expect with heavy city driving and some motorway driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Dave147 wrote: »
    I've seen a few clean 04s for that money but 05 is just out of reach you're right, I don't particularly want to go over budget either.

What kind of mpg should I expect with heavy city driving and some motorway driving?

be worried if you got less that 40mpg.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my 2002 320d saloon (which uses the same engine as the 320Cd) averages between 37-39mpg during everyday dublin commuting and the odd motorway run etc. granted mine is auto but my Gf E90 318d averages 37mpg with similar commuting habbits.
    bmw535d wrote: »
    be worried if you got less that 40mpg.

he wont get 40mpg with heavy city traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

kceire wrote: »
    my 2002 320d saloon (which uses the same engine as the 320Cd) averages between 37-39mpg during everyday dublin commuting and the odd motorway run etc. granted mine is auto but my Gf E90 318d averages 37mpg with similar commuting habbits.

he wont get 40mpg with heavy city traffic.

maybe not in deep city traffic, but he will average it if its manual, auto's take away about 10mpg.

• Advertisement

bmw535d wrote: »
    maybe not in deep city traffic, but he will average it if its manual, auto's take away about 10mpg.

i dont think the auto takes that much away tbh.
    i will average 50mpg plus on the motorway alright.

i also have a manual E90 and that will not average 40mpg in city driving.

Typical Dublin driving will yield around 36mpg. Take a spin down the country and it'll significantly increase over a tank.

Really really swaying towards the beamer, love Audi's and it's just a case of having so many of them that a change will do no harm. Basically the BMW I'm looking for has to look like this one

Budget can be increased to 12k but no more.

Really really swaying towards the beamer, love Audi's and it's just a case of having so many of them that a change will do no harm. Basically the BMW I'm looking for has to look like this one

Budget can be increased to 12k but no more.

where is the car located, UK or NI?
    dont forget to budget for flights, Ferry back and VRT.

you also need to study the service history and do a full HPi check.
    if your not good at looking at cars bring a mechanic friend with you or pay for the AA/HPi check on the car before you travel, if the buyer is genuine he/she wont mind this.

get the reg and Vin number and ask the seller to send you scans of the service book.receipts so you can check with BMW UK but bear in mind BMW UK dont hand over the history anymore on their normal number, you have to ring their premium line for it, suppose its their way of recouping some admin costs for the exercise.

also, why buy UK, are there any in Eire for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I don't think he's actually planning on buying that one specifically, he was just using it as an example...

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    I don't think he's actually planning on buying that one specifically, he was just using it as an example...

LOL yeah just realising that now, so i am :)

I may be selling mine. But its a darker shade (Sparkling Graphite), spec'd with Harman Kardon/Bluetooth

kceire wrote: »
    where is the car located, UK or NI?
    dont forget to budget for flights, Ferry back and VRT.

you also need to study the service history and do a full HPi check.
    if your not good at looking at cars bring a mechanic friend with you or pay for the AA/HPi check on the car before you travel, if the buyer is genuine he/she wont mind this.

get the reg and Vin number and ask the seller to send you scans of the service book.receipts so you can check with BMW UK but bear in mind BMW UK dont hand over the history anymore on their normal number, you have to ring their premium line for it, suppose its their way of recouping some admin costs for the exercise.

also, why buy UK, are there any in Eire for sale?

I have imported about 5 Audi's since I was 19, and it's just something I enjoy doing, it's a very enjoyable trip (although paying the VRT afterwards ain't so nice). I'd probably get the HPI check but might give the contacting BMW a skip, as long as the car has receipts and documented mileage with SH I'll be happy.
    ciarsd wrote: »
    I may be selling mine. But its a darker shade (Sparkling Graphite), spec'd with Harman Kardon/Bluetooth
    Will you email me a few pics of it when you get the chance? dave@crem.in - cheers :)

Oh and sparkling graphite will be just fine. The link is just an example of how I want it to look. Some of the 320CD's for sale at about 8-9k just look wrong, I don't know what it is, maybe they're not M-Sport but there's just something missing, the one on ebay has everything I want.

Edit: Maybe they're pre-facelift models? I can tell you everything about Audi's but I know sweet f*** all about BMW's.. Can't wait to learn :D

This one interests me very much, I love cream leather and the car looks mint and priced very well..

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2167577.htm

This one interests me very much, I love cream leather and the car looks mint and priced very well..

why no mention of mileage?

Not sure, I'll give him a ring and suss it out, fsh etc is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I have one almost the same just that its auto with 78k on clock
    its worth a look

fabsoul wrote: »
    I have one almost the same just that its auto with 78k on clock
    its worth a look

I'd be more manual inclined but throw up a few pics and you never know. What year is she?

ok i'll upload a few tomorrow it i can. its 05 i import it in 06

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221817

there is a picture of it here that i posted before,
    but i have the bmw wheels as well.

Had a look at yours just now Fabsoul, she's gorgeous. I actually picked one up last Thursday, 05 in Galway, met him in Bunratty, very straight car.. all necessary work done, FBMWSH, receipts, no scratches or dents (besides the odd stone chip etc.). 110k miles but it's fully warranted so happy enough, he imported from the UK in 2007 for 36k :eek: and drove a 60 mile round trip every day which explained the miles.

I'll get a few pics up after I get her polished on Friday :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

check donedeal and carzone. The m sports are easy enough to get with a pretty much full spec which is mfsw, climate control and leather. The MV2 look great on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Had a look at yours just now Fabsoul, she's gorgeous. I actually picked one up last Thursday, 05 in Galway, met him in Bunratty, very straight car.. all necessary work done, FBMWSH, receipts, no scratches or dents (besides the odd stone chip etc.). 110k miles but it's fully warranted so happy enough, he imported from the UK in 2007 for 36k :eek: and drove a 60 mile round trip every day which explained the miles.

I'll get a few pics up after I get her polished on Friday :D:D

Congrats on the purchase....don't suppose you could find another gem by any chance?:D Im on the lookout for something similar

Damie wrote: »
    Congrats on the purchase....don't suppose you could find another gem by any chance?:D Im on the lookout for something similar

Cheers mate, I could have a look. Would you have any interest in importing or would you rather save the hassle and buy here? This is the first time I've bought a car in Ireland in 6 years, ironically it was UK originally :P

This one is nice if you like suede: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1756322

Or this one which is very similar to mine except a year older and more expensive ;)http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1542961

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I've a thread running at the minute http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056159965

Trying to figure out whats the best option and its beyond head wrecking.

I've imported my last A4 myself, but if I don't see as many good deals as we once had, especially with the new vrt system where you dont have a clue what they will charge.

That first one is a nice one alright, it passed under my radar seen as I've been glued to sites all day looking at various options!

Ill keep plugging:D

Advertisement