Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a spineless nation...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Unjust laws or not, people are breaking them.

Would you report a person who broke any of the laws I mentioned?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I would have. I don't like you.

Do you do your Keyboard Warrior thing as a hobby or is it full time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Actually hate keyboard warriors. Just kidding bucko, I'm sure you're salt of the earth ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yes.

If so, good luck to you is all I can say.

Heads up, people, tayto lover wants to wash the streets of scummy illegal music and film downloaders, tv licence evaders and discounted cigarette smokers.

I think would all sleep better in our beds knowing these criminals are being handcuffed and marched away from the rest of us good, upstanding, law abiding citizens.

Now where is my phone, I'm going to rat out my neighbours for that unlicenced dog of theirs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jewett wrote: »
    I am ashamed to be Irish today.

As a taxpayer , lets get this straight from the start - I do not condone social welfare fraud.

However, I find it extremely sad that people - neighbors, relatives and friends and now "ratting" on each other to the state. There is now going to an atmosphere of mutual distrust in our communities. This is like something of what would of happened in East Germany.

Meanwhile, when it comes to corrupt politicians, bankers and senior civil servants. These spineless people won't take to the streets. Instead, they hide behind the anonymity of email or text messaging. They will tolerate corruption as long as its done by people in suits. Sickening.

Ireland really is changing for the worse.

Don't see the problem. There are people who have been working and signing for years. Claiming money paid in taxes by you and I. In the good times we all pushed it to one side. But I suppose there are now people (working) who are on the breadline and have decided that it's no longer acceptable for their neighbour to earn more than them and enjoy a lavish lifestyle at their expense.

Sign of the times really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Don't see the problem. There are people who have been working and signing for years. Claiming money paid in taxes by you and I. In the good times we all pushed it to one side. But I suppose there are now people (working) who are on the breadline and have decided that it's no longer acceptable for their neighbour to earn more than them and enjoy a lavish lifestyle at their expense.

Sign of the times really.

I honestly don't know anyone on welfare who lives a lavish lifestyle.

If some of these working people ever lost their jobs and had to live on €188, they might be a trifle more sympathetic to those who might feel the need to supplement their meagre income by doing a nixer or two, or childminding on the side.

They get a hell of a lot less than Enda Kenny or Joan Burton, who both supplemented their already lavish salaries by taking up to €50,000 in extra payments from an opposition party expenses fund. By the way, that's money paid by us taxpayers too.

But hey, that's perfectly legal, so let's rat on the neighbours instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I mentioned this before on a similar thread that got locked, I think its worth mentioning again..

All TV3 or any other station has to do is make a program about dole cheats, then the system can sit back and watch the country police itself.

TV3's documentary claimed that the money saved would reverse the impending cuts in future budgets... which is nonsense. I have a feeling that this claim was made in order to prompt the public into action ie. reporting welfare fraud.

The amount recovered by cracking down on welfare fraud would cover NAMA and the Golden Circle's dinner bill in the Shelbourne for a week. They are the real reason we are facing enormous cuts, not dole cheats.. I think that the figure of €188 per week is more comprehenible to Joe public, than say €30,000,000,000 for example

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

The amount recovered by cracking down on welfare fraud would cover NAMA and the Golden Circle's dinner bill in the Shelbourne for a week. They are the real reason we are facing enormous cuts, not dole cheats.. I think that the figure of €188 per week is more comprehenible to Joe public, than say €30,000,000,000 for example

I think the problem with a lot of people is they simply don't understand the maths. Its like when Lenihan and Cowen signed the bailout agreement first there was a remarkable lack of discontent from the Irish. I think they just did not understand the implications at the time.

Meanwhile, "€188 a week" is easy to understand for any reader of the Star or listener to Liveline.

"Near...Far away" anybody...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Quoted for truth.
    RTE Prime Time reported that NAMA is spending over €1m per day on all the costs associated with conducting its business. The figures quoted are as follows:

> €25m on Legal Fees
    > €10m on Professional Fees
    > €75m on Insolvency Costs
    > €78m given to banks to manage loans
    > €44m Staff Costs

...coming in at more than €1m per working day. Reporter said the figures were ex VAT.
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/182096-nama-spending-1m-per-working-day-prime-time.html

People can't see past their own noses in this country.
    True patriots dob in their neighbors.......... but remember, what you see as ok today may be reportable tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jewett wrote: »

I think the problem with a lot of people is they simply don't understand the maths. Its like when Lenihan and Cowen signed the bailout agreement first there was a remarkable lack of discontent from the Irish. I think they just did not understand the implications at the time.

Meanwhile, "€188 a week" is easy to understand for any reader of the Star or listener to Liveline.

"Near...Far away" anybody...

I think part of the problem is that decent folk are being ripped off by spongers at every end of the scale, and since we can't seem to do much about the ones at the "top" level (look where voting in those that promised to fix it got us) we have to have the satisfaction of doing SOMETHING to limit the effects of at least some who contribute nothing to society.

But yes - I only wish the will was there to go after EVERYONE who wilfully and consciously waste and rip off our money.

• Advertisement

sorry I forgot to mention that with interest, it will probably amount to over €50,000,000,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

I mentioned this before on a similar thread that got locked, I think its worth mentioning again..

All TV3 or any other station has to do is make a program about dole cheats, then the system can sit back and watch the country police itself.

TV3's documentary claimed that the money saved would reverse the impending cuts in future budgets... which is nonsense. I have a feeling that this claim was made in order to prompt the public into action ie. reporting welfare fraud.

Well here wealthy frauds criminals are treated more fairly than ordinary fraud criminals and the consequnces of their crime is minimal compared to the white collar fraud criminals who blew hundreds of billions. The law in this country is in favour of the middle class and higher because the law itself and criminals justice system is created by the higher classes, you don't see many barristers from marginised areas because they are not given equal oppertunities in life to meet their social and educational needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Well said. We are a Society (still). It is everybody's duty to play by the rules. We all had our part to play in this country's downfall, some more than others, it must be said, so there's no point in blaming politicians/ senior civil servants/ bankers/ developers. Most people accepted pay rises, racked up fair amounts of debt, bought houses/ cars/ holidays/ tans/ beer etc. etc.
    I'm sick of the "it was someone else's fault" attitude as long as the someone else isn't an ordinary Joe like themselves. SW fraud is adding to the problem and is a crime: it's black and white. And to the previous poster who says sure it's only 0.1% of the SW budget: that's a hell of a lot of money that could be put to good use in other areas. Yes, the SW staff need to stop making mistakes as well but fixing the two issues are not mutually exclusive.

I have a problem with the We all had our part to play part of your comment. I have no debts, own no property, and paid taxes for the last 10 years. Some people who are adults now in 2012, were teenagers in 2007. It is no their/our fault that the country is in the state that its in. Never had a chance to vote as they weren't old enough.

I am not saying Please think of the children but your arguement is not valid for these individuals. It is a cop out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Meh, if I can get my unemployed neighbour to mind my 2 kids for €200 a week it's a win win.
    She can meet her mortgage & I can justify staying in work.
    Neither of us become a burden on the state.

I honestly don't know anyone on welfare who lives a lavish lifestyle.

If some of these working people ever lost their jobs and had to live on €188, they might be a trifle more sympathetic to those who might feel the need to supplement their meagre income by doing a nixer or two, or childminding on the side.

They get a hell of a lot less than Enda Kenny or Joan Burton, who both supplemented their already lavish salaries by taking up to €50,000 in extra payments from an opposition party expenses fund. By the way, that's money paid by us taxpayers too.

But hey, that's perfectly legal, so let's rat on the neighbours instead.

Read my post fully. What I said was that people are getting sick of those who are working AND signing. Before you play the 'rat' card.:rolleyes:

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Meh, if I can get my unemployed neighbour to mind my 2 kids for €200 a week it's a win win.

very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rabidlamb wrote: »

If your unemployed neighbour pays tax on what you give her then the state wins too. We all win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

ItsNoAlias wrote: »
    I have a problem with the We all had our part to play part of your comment. I have no debts, own no property, and paid taxes for the last 10 years. Some people who are adults now in 2012, were teenagers in 2007. It is no their/our fault that the country is in the state that its in. Never had a chance to vote as they weren't old enough.

I am not saying Please think of the children but your arguement is not valid for these individuals. It is a cop out

Yes, you're correct: maybe I should have said "almost all of us". But the main point is that anyone breaking the law needs to be held account, whether or not they contributed to the country's downfall or not. SW fraud is wrong, however the facts come to light. A previous poster quoted a figure of 50,000,000,000 for the size of the hole and sure €188 isn't going to make any difference: €648m will make a difference. Is the debt figure still a big one? Yes, but it's smaller by €648m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

It is the duty of every citizen to report crime especially when we are all paying for it.

You should have stopped at the word crime. You ruined what you said for me by that needless qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Classic Irish talk.

Know a lad who's doing something wrong? Sure he's a grand lad, I wouldn't rat him out.

Corruption occurs at every level of society, the above Irish tendency is why it is so endemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I think in some of the cases SW officers are asleep at the wheel.

If someone has 4 kids and has been on Lone Parent since the first kid was born, yet the father of all four is the same guy, even named on the birth certs, then I really wonder why no alarm bells ring.

The whole system needs an overhaul IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Classic Irish talk.

Know a lad who's doing something wrong? Sure he's a grand lad, I wouldn't rat him out.

Corruption occurs at every level of society, the above Irish tendency is why it is so endemic.

Ah now. Sure, it's only a crime when it's "them" doing it.

Yes, you're correct: maybe I should have said "almost all of us". But the main point is that anyone breaking the law needs to be held account, whether or not they contributed to the country's downfall or not. SW fraud is wrong, however the facts come to light. A previous poster quoted a figure of 50,000,000,000 for the size of the hole and sure €188 isn't going to make any difference: €648m will make a difference. Is the debt figure still a big one? Yes, but it's smaller by €648m

You have to start somewhere. Look after the pennies, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Me and the OH are up at 6 every morning to go to work, seldom home before 6 in the evening, I dont work and pay tax to benifit Social Welfare fraudsters, I dont care who they are if I know someone is cheating the system, I report them, simple as!

lividduck wrote: »
    Me and the OH are up at 6 every morning to go to work, seldom home before 6 in the evening, I dont work and pay tax to benifit Social Welfare fraudsters, I dont care who they are if I know someone is cheating the system, I report them, simple as!

Totally agree. It seems we cant do anything about the banks and the corruption in politics except vote them out and welcome the next set of gangsters. At least we can do something about this. There is people totally taking the piss and a message needs to be sent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

If your unemployed neighbour pays tax on what you give her then the state wins too. We all win.

Childminding is the most unpoliceable of professions.
    They tried to get unofficial childminders to register a few years ago but about .001% did.
    The thought of submitting yourself for HSE audits & submitting tax returns scared everyone off, next there'd public liability insurance & first aid courses to worry about.
    If you earned over a threshold you became liable for tax which would just be passed onto the parents.
    They in turn would just go to the next girl down the road who needed a few quid.
    What about the family lucky enough to still live next to Granny who babysits for free, should the parents pay BIK for their great saving.
    Childminding is minefield that is impossible to bring into the tax net.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Problem is that Social Services turned a blind eye to fraud during the good times, now that we are broke they want us to do the job that they are being paid to do, but were too friggin lazy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What exactly is wrong with reporting fraud? Do we not have a duty to report crime?

I spent 6 months unemployed, trying my damnest to get work and unable to get the dole due to the means test. It galled me, and still does, that I was expected to depend upon my parents in my twenties when there are 1000s of fit well people who are well able to work but too lazy to do so in the dole queue, not to mention to those claiming entitlements they don't need.

Why should protect these people? They are no better than theives.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

A friend of a friend used to take phone calls reporting dole fraud in the UK.
    A lot of the time it was a jealous neighbour ..... “and she got new curtains last week as well and she on the dole ......... “

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

EGAR wrote: »
    I think in some of the cases SW officers are asleep at the wheel.

If someone has 4 kids and has been on Lone Parent since the first kid was born, yet the father of all four is the same guy, even named on the birth certs, then I really wonder why no alarm bells ring.

The whole system needs an overhaul IMHO.

It's like a timewarp on here. Late 80's into early 90's it was the same.
    The 'unmarried mothers' had the country f***ed.
    This thread is bull****e, voyeurism is alive and well in little old Ireland.

Advertisement