Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a spineless nation...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I meant "crimes" like smoking this blunt.

Who's next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

LH Pathe wrote: »

Who's next...

So while smoking it you don't care who got shot in the turf war between the sellers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jewett wrote: »
    I am ashamed to be Irish today.

As a taxpayer , lets get this straight from the start - I do not condone social welfare fraud.

However, I find it extremely sad that people - neighbors, relatives and friends and now "ratting" on each other to the state. There is now going to an atmosphere of mutual distrust in our communities. This is like something of what would of happened in East Germany.

Meanwhile, when it comes to corrupt politicians, bankers and senior civil servants. These spineless people won't take to the streets. Instead, they hide behind the anonymity of email or text messaging. They will tolerate corruption as long as its done by people in suits. Sickening.

Ireland really is changing for the worse.
    You are a disgrace. Most retarded post I've read in some time.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Who's next...

So while smoking it you don't care who got shot in the turf war between the sellers ?

No; I don't it does that. But to think that the government could put it in the control of such, the likes of whom it just seems so innocent and distant from.

Now pls I have a pressing assignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Who's next...

No; I don't it does that. But to think that the government could put it in the control of such, the likes of whom it just seems so innocent and distant from.

Now pls I have a pressing assignment.

The government didn't "put" it in the control of anyone.

Aside from that, ease up on it - there's a lot of unintelligible gibberish in the above post.

• Advertisement

Ok, brother gibb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Good little citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The only problem I have with reporting welfare fraud is that it's only become really prevalent since the recession. Where were these good, honest citizens throughout the celtic tiger years? During the good times nobody was arsed doing it cos life was good while envy and bitterness were absent. Now though, as people struggle, a real bitterness has led to a surge in public reporting. I imagine that this comes more from a "taking everyone down with me" angry mentality rather than doing it for the good of the nation during these hard times.

It's personally motivated rather than socially, a real looking after number one scenario. During the boom years if you were happy in your life then you didn't care if people cheated the system. It's all about you. Then once the **** hits the fan and you're not doing so well you tend to look at others who are having it easy and so you get angry and pull the plug on them.

Now, bear in mind I'm not condoning welfare fraud. I'm sure there are many who report it because they are genuine citizens like those during the boom years. I'm just questioning the motives of the huge amount of people who are reporting today.

Well played. Nail on the head methinks. Misery likes company.
    Firstly id like to say the fact that Social Welfare fraud cost this state €645m last year is staggering to say the very least and needs to be eradicated with whatever system possible. However the politicians in this country are hardly the best role models when it comes to financial ethics so if a politician expects a person to live on €188 per week and thats before we consider those who raise a family then he/she should be prepared to also take a cut.

EDIT: When you consider that Ireland have taken €6 billion out of the economy for last year and i think it was €4 billion for this year to pay back the IMF/EU bailout then €645m is a considerable chunk when you put it in that context

Or it's 10 - 15% of the problem. Yet it gets far more than 10 - 15% of the analysis when it comes to talking about how to fix the country. The media and the government like you talking about this stuff - it's simple and easy, and it doesn't touch on the more nuanced and complex ways in which public money is being used inefficiently.

If I was a Public Servant, I would absolutely LOVE how 'Dole cheats' dominates the news cycle. Divide and conquer.

Good little citizen.

Thanks i like to do my bit.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Weren't a good proportion of the fraud claims made found to be invalid. So basically a lot of the people ringing up have been proven to be nosey bastards who dont know what said 'fraudster' is entitled to. People just flinging mud at the wall and seeing wat sticks, shams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Thanks i like to do my bit.:p

While you're saving society, maybe you can help out with the billions or Euro of cash and trillions of Euro in natural resources being stolen from our country and do something to rid this country of industrial scale political corruption. If you solve that, then perhaps we'll have the resources to improve a health system close to the point of collapse. Or feed and give shelter to the homeless. Or have the means to protect the most vulnerable in our society.

No, no. Sorry. Forget what I said. You just rat on your unemployed neighbour and everything will be fine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

As a taxpayer , lets get this straight from the start - I do not condone social welfare fraud.

However, I find it extremely sad that people - neighbors, relatives and friends and now "ratting" on each other to the state. There is now going to an atmosphere of mutual distrust in our communities. This is like something of what would of happened in East Germany.

Meanwhile, when it comes to corrupt politicians, bankers and senior civil servants. These spineless people won't take to the streets. Instead, they hide behind the anonymity of email or text messaging. They will tolerate corruption as long as its done by people in suits. Sickening.

Changing for the worse? Ireland has always been a nation of curtain twitchers. "Jaysus did you see yer wan at number 42 - and her a widower" etc, etc. I'm not surprised at all

While you're saving society, maybe you can help out with the billions or Euro of cash and trillions of Euro in natural resources being stolen from our country and do something to rid this country of industrial scale political corruption. If you solve that, then perhaps we'll have the resources to improve a health system close to the point of collapse. Or feed and give shelter to the homeless. Or have the means to protect the most vulnerable in our society.

No, no. Sorry. Forget what I said. You just rat on your unemployed neighbour and everything will be fine. :rolleyes:

Lol i was being sarcastic ,I'm unemployed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Only 33% of the claims actually lead anywhere (from RTE News yesterday).

There's no doubt the rise in reports is simply due to increasing bitterness. Few people seemed to have a problem with those who were working and claiming during the good times, in fact, few people seemed to be concerned with other people at all during those years.

Unfortunately just because the archetypal "Jacinta" uses her children's allowance to pay for her hit doesn't mean that it's welfare fraud as such, however, if she's working in addition to receiving Job Seekers then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Only 33% of the claims actually lead anywhere (from RTE News yesterday).

And what most seem to be forgetting is that only 21% of the money saved was from cutting off fraudsters,the rest was due to staff errors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

More like the hard working people have said enough to single mums claiming money for being on their own with the partner shacked up with her and the five kids. Or the dossers who do fcuk all but are still in the pub three and four nights a week. About time the good folks of Ireland said enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The elites in this country are laughing at you

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

sounds like the op got ratted on, tough break man. Are they making you pay back all the money you stole??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Show Time wrote: »
    Or the dossers who do fcuk all but are still in the pub three and four nights a week. About time the good folks of Ireland said enough.
    These dossers are not benefit cheats they just spend their benefits on drink . Instead of things like clothes , heating etc . You cant report them for that.
    leggit wrote: »
    sounds like the op got ratted on, tough break man. Are they making you pay back all the money you stole??
    When you re caught you just have to pay a fiver a week back ,
    HERES WHT HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE REPORTS YOU
    You get caught working on the sly .
    Your boss gets rid of you cause he cant afford to pay your insurance , holidays , prsi etc./ you stop looking for nixers.
    You stay on the dole , you pay a fiver week back if you are found guilty.

THE REAL PROBLEM is employers paying people into the hand. But no punishment will be done to these. So many people are told now they can have a job and get paid into the hand or have no job . Simple. Any of my friends in the domestic building trade working , one girl I know works in a creche , cleaners and restaurant staff are all being hired now into the hand . THE DOLE CHEATS are just people that want to work but have no other option . If they tell the boss they wont work into the hand the boss will get someone else. Theres alot of people on here that talk **** they no nothing about just so they can bash single mothers or people on the scratcher.
    Every hundred you pay in prsi your boss will pay around 4 or 5 hundred in prsi and insurance etc. These are the real cheats not a chap thats told to work for 250 a week and collect his 200 dole and sure thats a weeks wages for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Some of the replies to this thread, especially on page 1 (as usual, the thanks whores), make me want to commit violence. Kfallon, if you had've been near me when I read your post I would have introduced you to a baseball bat.

Mod note: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

cloptrop wrote: »
    These dossers are not benefit cheats they just spend their benefits on drink . Instead of things like clothes , heating etc . You cant report them for that.

Correct. I'd actually love to read some of the reports, as they're probably from people who haven't a clue what's fraud and what's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They shouldn't lock up the fraudsters, because it would probably cost more to keep them in prison.

They should shoot the thieving fiddling fuckers instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Don't worry about all these posters comments Jewett, I understand you completely. The glass they are looking through appears to be opaque instead of being clear. kunt-tree is a mess, no one gives a $h!t and the Irish don't have the balls to stand up to the gubberment so turn on eachother instead.

Users are mentioning the words "stealing" here.
    What about my usc charge, water charges, house charge etc...

That is the gubberment stealing from me because they can't pay back the money "they stole" in the first place.

Now ppl are turning on eachother to save a measily €180 a week.
    Yet they have forgotten about the €176 billion of debt that we're in.

Don't worry though, nothing will change and it will only get worse becuase everyone's testicles fell off in the late 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Yes, where were all of these ethical upstanding individuals during the height of the Boom?

I am getting a really getting to see a different side to the Irish now. Happy-go-lucky when they had cash in their pockets but quickly turn bitter and vindictive when they get poor. This is the first time in my life where I have seen this sort of collective vindictiveness and spitefulness shown by the Irish.

I would imagine this weekend some Irish will be exchanging pleasantries with their neighbors over their hedge or on the footpaths of our towns and suburbs.(while at the same time questioning themselves whether or not that neighbor has reported them). Lovely state for the country to be in.

Meanwhile, the NAMA millionaires, fat-cat politicians, corrupt councillors
    and our other "elite" will continue to defraud the system their way.
    If the dole-cheats are shoplifting the state , our elite is doing an ongoing and systematic heist with truckloads of Euro. But there are no phones lines or emails addresses setup for people to shop them.

Lots of the "elite" bankers/ developers etc. knew each other so using this logic, they couldn't snitch on each other or they might meet in the boardroom some day and wonder "was he the one who ratted me out to Financial Regulator?". We might not be in the mess we're in now if some of them had told the truth, but of course, you're not allowed to rat out your mates/ neighbours/ acquaintances...

Going after the "elite" is the right thing to do, as is going after the SW cheats.

All citizens are equal, some are more equal than others (or so it seems)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Some of the replies to this thread, especially on page 1 (as usual, the thanks whores), make me want to commit violence. Kfallon, if you had've been near me when I read your post I would have introduced you to a baseball bat.

Of course you would have :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think this is a healthy development, why do people have this sense of entitlement here, the social welfare system is meant to be an assistance to those that really need it. It is not meant to be an extra income.

So here my proposal to encourage good citizenship. A 500 to a 1000 euro anonymously written cheque to anyone who reports people who later were found out to be either welfare or a tax cheats.

With that reward even detective agencies would get interested, fuk em is what I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

kfallon wrote: »
    Of course you would have :rolleyes:

I would have. I don't like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

robman60 wrote: »
    So you're okay with people fraudelently claiming YOUR tax money every week? Would you not report it if someone was stealing €188 from you each week? It's effectively stealing my money and your money, I know I'd report it.
    your tax money is paying off German and French bankers, the IMF and Europe are paying the publci sector wages and dole at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

your tax money is paying off German and French bankers, the IMF and Europe are paying the publci sector wages and dole at the moment

As a lot of my income is paying off loans,,,but hey,, I did borrow that money.

Advertisement