Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a spineless nation...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

Aye, the illicit drugs trade has never had any victims whatsoever.

grow your own? And weed doesn't have anywhere near the impact that the likes of coke/heroine have. For the record I'm not a smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

mikom wrote: »
    Howya, I'm Mikom.
    You new here?

Howya I'm bob. Returning from a rather long ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And weed doesn't have anywhere near the impact that the likes of coke/heroine have.

Joan of Arc knows this only too well.

The government are trying to divide and conquer the people of Ireland and what better way to do that then suspicion.
    Remember,It's only a crime if you get caught.

The secret police are on the way.
    The Poles can tell you a lot about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lots of people who are viewed as scammers would find it hard to get employment anyway - it's a cycle. If you've **** all education and opportunity all your life, you're in a pretty crap position to further yourself. I'm not making excuses but it often goes deeper than just not bothering to look for work.

As for people on the dole getting a few quid on the side for the odd nixer, childminding etc, which on their own wouldn't be enough to live on, I think fair play... they're obviously not just arsing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't see how it's spineless to report a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Indeed... quite the opposite imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

TheZohan wrote: »
    jewett wrote: »
    ..Ireland really is changing for the worse.

"ratting on"...FFS. I suppose if a mate of yours was involved in a hit and run you wouldn't report them either?

The phrase rat is a giveaway alright if you know somethings wrong which is likely the reason for secrecy then see/hear/speak of. Everytime. **** the scangsters n their rat code, **** the regular creeps nobody gets free reign - call it. skeletons out the closet n out now. Only breeding timid, meek repressed cowards and a weird undercurrent of repression with code of secrecy. In this case the shameless must be exposed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

What I am saying is why do people take action when their is anonymity?

Where has the affirmative action been when it comes to corrupt bankers,
    senior civil servants and politicians? None. People have just sat on their
    h@les doing sweet fa.

And what are you doing right now?

Sitting on your h@le doing sweet fa posting anonymously on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do your bit for your country, I'm reporting anyone who I feel needs to be investigated. I'm not a rat I'm a patriot. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nevore wrote: »
    Fùck that noise. My taxes pay for Jacinta's weed.
    Jacinta says tanks love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Another day another moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

kfallon wrote: »
    You are more than welcome to leave......

Is that all people have to offer when someone criticises the country?

"If you don't like it, then emigrate/leave/**** off?"

Pathetic and typical of the 'Im alright Jack" attitude that still prevails.

Im glad I ****ed off years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

You find it extremely sad that people are being honest? Each to their own I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Feisar wrote: »
    Define what a friend is, if it's a casual acquaintance/drinking buddy at the weekends then yea report them. A real friend who's been there through thick and thin, no not a chance.

So crime is ok so long as I'm a friend of yours, but you'd turn me in if I'm just a mate. Ok,got it.

OP, the class of Omerta you espouse is why so many crimes of all kinds go unpunished. Doing nothing is the spineless option, not reporting.

Enough shame in drawing the dole for one but when they're the stereotypical scrounger, which is shameful in itself who has no shame in drawing it once anyhow let alone twice..?! In fact the conniving only bolsters his esteem in his dole-pride. Come on man.. "Spineless nation" only leads me to believe everyone's at it. Only spinelessness is the cover-up of such

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Well said. We are a Society (still). It is everybody's duty to play by the rules. We all had our part to play in this country's downfall, some more than others, it must be said, so there's no point in blaming politicians/ senior civil servants/ bankers/ developers. Most people accepted pay rises, racked up fair amounts of debt, bought houses/ cars/ holidays/ tans/ beer etc. etc.
    I'm sick of the "it was someone else's fault" attitude as long as the someone else isn't an ordinary Joe like themselves. SW fraud is adding to the problem and is a crime: it's black and white. And to the previous poster who says sure it's only 0.1% of the SW budget: that's a hell of a lot of money that could be put to good use in other areas. Yes, the SW staff need to stop making mistakes as well but fixing the two issues are not mutually exclusive.

Anyone reports me for the crime of smoking weed I'll kill em - if I can find out who. Abide by my double standards else >

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I am ashamed to be Irish today.

As a taxpayer , lets get this straight from the start - I do not condone social welfare fraud.

However, I find it extremely sad that people - neighbors, relatives and friends and now "ratting" on each other to the state. There is now going to an atmosphere of mutual distrust in our communities. This is like something of what would of happened in East Germany.

Meanwhile, when it comes to corrupt politicians, bankers and senior civil servants. These spineless people won't take to the streets. Instead, they hide behind the anonymity of email or text messaging. They will tolerate corruption as long as its done by people in suits. Sickening.

Ireland really is changing for the worse.

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for Jewett,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't Jewett.

Then they came for me,
    and I was grand, cause I'm not a commie, a douchebag or a dole cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The op has touched on something very important. There is major discrimination and inequality issues happening in society.

What makes it acceptable to target one group of fraudsters and not the other?

Why are people happy to create and live with such divisions in society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

What I am saying is why do people take action when their is anonymity?

Where has the affirmative action been when it comes to corrupt bankers,
    senior civil servants and politicians? None. People have just sat on their
    h@les doing sweet fa.

People take action when their identities are protected because they may fear the actions of the wrong-doer if they discover who reported them. To be fair Joan Burton did say today that all anonymous reportings of fraud are investigated. Some investigations find fraud, some don't.

As regards people not doing anything about corrupt bankers, well this wrongdoing is not as visible, what I mean is if one sees a neighbour taking on a painting job when they know this neighbour is on the dole, well they put two and two together.

How many of the general public would have the same level of insight into the goings on in Anglo Irish Bank? Not many, I'd guess. So they couldn't go reporting the Bank to anyone, you know what I mean.

In fairness, I can understand your disgust at the way one section of society who defraud the Social Welfare system are treated in comparison to the white collar fraudsters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

It is the duty of every citizen to report crime especially when we are all paying for it.

Have you paid your Household charge yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

ilovesleep wrote: »
    The op has touched on something very important. There is major discrimination and inequality issues happening in society.

What makes it acceptable to target one group of fraudsters and not the other?

Why are people happy to create and live with such divisions in society?

Yes many if not most Irish people like living in oblivion, there is a dishonesty there because the full picture isn't acknowledged, it's like 'ignorance is bliss' many seem to believe everything they are told and people are treated differently like the wealthy criminals are not treated the same as ordinary people breaking the law or people from marginised areas breaking the law, taking them to court and fining them because they cannot afford a tv licence, putting them in prison because they cannot afford to pay the fines- just costing the country more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I know of a local guy who reported a neighbour for doing a bit of work on the side, handyman kinda jobs, fixing stuff for a few extra quid. The neighbour has three kids and is struggling to pay the bills, I'd have a hard time reporting that kind of thing myself, I wouldn't do it. Fair enough, if someone's taking the piss and claiming for everything they can get while holding down a full time job, just being plain greedy, I'd say fuck em.
    I saw the same guy who did the reporting though f#ck his bags of rubbish in the ditch to avoid paying a refuse charge, (not for the first time) and I have no problem at all reporting him for that, and I have. Where we live the countryside is covered with people's crap, and they justify it by saying refuse collection charges are too high. It's pure lazines and ignorance though, and a lot of it is plastic bottles, cans,and glass bottles which can be recycled. Our roadsides are so full of rubbish its shameful, and council crews keep having to go round to clean up other peoples shite, and we pay for it. These same f#ckers who rant about dole cheats. The same people who's car was always 'off the road' when it came to taxing it. Why not leave catching the fraudsters to the welfare inspectors and mind your own affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yes many if not most Irish people like living in oblivion, there is a dishonesty there because the full picture isn't acknowledged, it's like 'ignorance is bliss' many seem to believe everything they are told and people are treated differently like the wealthy criminals are not treated the same as ordinary people breaking the law or people from marginised areas breaking the law, taking them to court and fining them because they cannot afford a tv licence, putting them in prison because they cannot afford to pay the fines- just costing the country more money.
    That's exactly it, a shoplifter can get jail but a wealthy tax evader gets an amnesty. I think the lesson is, if you're gonna steal, steal big. God knows the rich have been getting away with it forever, and still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mikom wrote: »
    Would you report your neighbor for smoking a spliff on his back porch?

If he stole the money from me to buy it, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The way you say "ratting" makes it sound like some stupid secondary school complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Hear hear to ratting away, OP, fraud is just another factor thats eating away at our economy, so If you dont mind, Id like to see this country get back on its feet. Id rather not have so and so down the street living off stolen money that I and every other honest person are paying to the tax man, thanks very much.

its stupidity attitudes like this thats contributed getting us into a mess in the first place. dishonesty and greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Even when I read tripe like the above, and as fully aware as I am that many people in Ireland leave a lot to be desired in many respects, I would never deny that I am proud to be Irish.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The whole 'proud to be Irish' or any nationality is bullsh!t. You'd no choice in it. You didn't achieve anything.

National pride. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

If he stole the money from me to buy it, yes.

That wasn't the question...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't care what age Miriam O'Callaghan is - I'd still ride her.

Advertisement