Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a spineless nation...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

The government have been getting great use out of the state owned media lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I don't care what age Miriam O'Callaghan is - I'd still ride her.

You could climb into her like a sleeping bag

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

The only problem I have with reporting welfare fraud is that it's only become really prevalent since the recession. Where were these good, honest citizens throughout the celtic tiger years? During the good times nobody was arsed doing it cos life was good while envy and bitterness were absent. Now though, as people struggle, a real bitterness has led to a surge in public reporting. I imagine that this comes more from a "taking everyone down with me" angry mentality rather than doing it for the good of the nation during these hard times.

It's personally motivated rather than socially, a real looking after number one scenario. During the boom years if you were happy in your life then you didn't care if people cheated the system. It's all about you. Then once the **** hits the fan and you're not doing so well you tend to look at others who are having it easy and so you get angry and pull the plug on them.

Now, bear in mind I'm not condoning welfare fraud. I'm sure there are many who report it because they are genuine citizens like those during the boom years. I'm just questioning the motives of the huge amount of people who are reporting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It is the duty of every citizen to report crime especially when we are all paying for it.

I hope you would also report people who illegally download music and films (I assume you've never done it yourself of course).

People who buy bootlegged cigarettes to save a few quid - they need taking down too.

Know someone who hasn't stumped up for their TV licence? Would you report them as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The only problem I have with reporting welfare fraud is that it's only become really prevalent since the recession. Where were these good, honest citizens throughout the celtic tiger years? During the good times nobody was arsed doing it cos life was good while envy and bitterness were absent. Now though, as people struggle, a real bitterness has led to a surge in public reporting. I imagine that this comes more from a "taking everyone down with me" angry mentality rather than doing it for the good of the nation during these hard times.

It's personally motivated rather than socially, a real looking after number one scenario. During the boom years if you were happy in your life then you didn't care if people cheated the system. It's all about you. Then once the **** hits the fan and you're not doing so well you tend to look at others who are having it easy and so you get angry and pull the plug on them.

Now, bear in mind I'm not condoning welfare fraud. I'm sure there are many who report it because they are genuine citizens like those during the boom years. I'm just questioning the motives of the huge amount of people who are reporting today.

I was about to post exactly this, but youve saved me the bother.
    Anyone who thinks the nation has suddenly found its moral compass when it comes to social welfare fraud are either idiots or naive. Its pure spite and nothing more. "If im going to have to take a hit, well then that guy over the road is going to take one too" Pathetic. I don't condone SW fraud at all, but the reason the reporting of it has shot up to such a level is purely to do with the fact everyone's feeling the pinch now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

mikom wrote: »
    Would you report your neighbor for smoking a spliff on his back porch?

I would if he bought the weed using welfare benefit fraudulently obtained.

If he earned his own income then let him smoke his brains out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mikom wrote: »
    Would you report your neighbor for smoking a spliff on his back porch?

victimless "crime".

Tell that to Shane Geoghegan's family

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Shane Geoghegan didn't die from smoking a spliff iirc.

Firstly id like to say the fact that Social Welfare fraud cost this state €645m last year is staggering to say the very least and needs to be eradicated with whatever system possible. However the politicians in this country are hardly the best role models when it comes to financial ethics so if a politician expects a person to live on €188 per week and thats before we consider those who raise a family then he/she should be prepared to also take a cut.

EDIT: When you consider that Ireland have taken €6 billion out of the economy for last year and i think it was €4 billion for this year to pay back the IMF/EU bailout then €645m is a considerable chunk when you put it in that context

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This thread is absolute proof that there is nothing you can do without some dope on AH disliking you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

"You're not paying your tax, therefore you are robbing from me" I do pay my tax. But I wish I had the gumption not to. F**k you. I wouldn't be robbing from anyone if I decided not to pay tax. Except a bunch of lazy, dole drawing bottom feeders with a sense of entitlement. Jesus... if the tax I paid was being put to some good use, I wouldn't mind. A good healthcare system. Properly appropriated funds to take care of the most vulnerable people in our society. Roads that weren't owned by foreign corporations that I have to pay money to to use them, despite the fact that I've already f**king paid for them. Something. Anything. But no... it's all being given to greedy f**king foreign bankers and risk takers while the country goes to s**t.

Tax. Are you kidding me? Anyone who thinks that people who evade tax are scumbags is obviously missing the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I hope you would also report people who illegally download music and films (I assume you've never done it yourself of course).

People who buy bootlegged cigarettes to save a few quid - they need taking down too.

Know someone who hasn't stumped up for their TV licence? Would you report them as well?

To be honest I don't know anyone who does any of the above but I would support a fight against what I would consider to be an unjust law and have serious problems with the Household Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

Where were these good, honest citizens throughout the celtic tiger years?

During the good times nobody was arsed doing it cos life was good while envy and bitterness were absent. Now though, as people struggle, a real bitterness has led to a surge in public reporting. I imagine that this comes more from a "taking everyone down with me" angry mentality rather than doing it for the good of the nation during these hard times.

Yes, where were all of these ethical upstanding individuals during the height of the Boom?

I am getting a really getting to see a different side to the Irish now. Happy-go-lucky when they had cash in their pockets but quickly turn bitter and vindictive when they get poor. This is the first time in my life where I have seen this sort of collective vindictiveness and spitefulness shown by the Irish.

I would imagine this weekend some Irish will be exchanging pleasantries with their neighbors over their hedge or on the footpaths of our towns and suburbs.(while at the same time questioning themselves whether or not that neighbor has reported them). Lovely state for the country to be in.

Meanwhile, the NAMA millionaires, fat-cat politicians, corrupt councillors
    and our other "elite" will continue to defraud the system their way.
    If the dole-cheats are shoplifting the state , our elite is doing an ongoing and systematic heist with truckloads of Euro. But there are no phones lines or emails addresses setup for people to shop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

To be honest I don't know anyone who does any of the above but I would support a fight against what I would consider to be an unjust law and have serious problems with the Household Tax.

Unjust laws or not, people are breaking them.

Would you report a person who broke any of the laws I mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Nevore wrote: »
    "...crime that disadvantages others..."
    victimless "crime".
    Aye, the illicit drugs trade has never had any victims whatsoever.
    grow your own? And weed doesn't have anywhere near the impact that the likes of coke/heroine have. For the record I'm not a smoker.
    LH Pathe wrote: »
    Anyone reports me for the crime of smoking weed I'll kill em - if I can find out who. Abide by my double standards else >
    lastlaugh wrote: »
    Have you paid your Household charge yet?

Weed kills more people each year than benefit fraud. If weed was taxed the government would be raking it in and people would stop being killed over weed. iF PEOPLE SPENT THEIR MONEY ON LEGALLY IMPORTED ALCOHOL INSTED OF WEED THE COUNTRY WOULD BE RICHER .If you report your neighbour for benefit fraud you will get nothing from it. Imf may get paid quicker, your doing it out of spite. There is thosands of people in Dublin that didnt pay their bin charges . Report them . Clampers get a raw deal report people for running over on their meter. Tv licences etc etc.
    Howw childish is it reporting people cause you dont have the nuts to not pay or claim something . I think that everyone that reports someone for something silly like this is just jealous that they arnt doing it.
    STOP PRETENDING YOU WANT ENDA KENNY TO HAVE AN EXTRA 188 A WEEK TO PISS AWAY ON SOME STUPID INITIATIVE. WHEN COMPARED TO THESE PEOPLE YOU JUST WANT TO HAVE MORE MONEY THAN THEM .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

jewett wrote: »
    There is now going to an atmosphere of mutual distrust in our communities.
    I don't believe the innocent have any reason to distrust anybody.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Shane Geoghegan didn't die from smoking a spliff iirc.

What a ridiculous comment. He was shot by know drug-dealers; you know - the ones who sell said spiffs ?

Anyone who buys stuff from them is supporting their lifestyle and crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I am ashamed to be Irish today.

As a taxpayer , lets get this straight from the start - I do not condone social welfare fraud.

However, I find it extremely sad that people - neighbors, relatives and friends and now "ratting" on each other to the state. There is now going to an atmosphere of mutual distrust in our communities. This is like something of what would of happened in East Germany.

Meanwhile, when it comes to corrupt politicians, bankers and senior civil servants. These spineless people won't take to the streets. Instead, they hide behind the anonymity of email or text messaging. They will tolerate corruption as long as its done by people in suits. Sickening.

Ireland really is changing for the worse.

Childish dribble of a post, happy enough paying high taxes and charges are you?

billybudd wrote: »
    Childish dribble of a post, happy enough paying high taxes and charges are you?

Stop paying them instead of blaming it all on the 500 million social welfare cheat. We are 70 billion in a hole . Go after someone else .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

cloptrop wrote: »
    Stop paying them instead of blaming it all on the 500 million social welfare cheat. We are 70 billion in a hole . Go after someone else .

Who blamed just Sw cheats? i blame all cheats equaly, but thanks i will take advice from someone who says pay for nothing as that is how a successful country works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Yes, where were all of these ethical upstanding individuals during the height of the Boom?

I am getting a really getting to see a different side to the Irish now. Happy-go-lucky when they had cash in their pockets but quickly turn bitter and vindictive when they get poor. This is the first time in my life where I have seen this sort of collective vindictiveness and spitefulness shown by the Irish.

I would imagine this weekend some Irish will be exchanging pleasantries with their neighbors over their hedge or on the footpaths of our towns and suburbs.(while at the same time questioning themselves whether or not that neighbor has reported them). Lovely state for the country to be in.

Meanwhile, the NAMA millionaires, fat-cat politicians, corrupt councillors
    and our other "elite" will continue to defraud the system their way.
    If the dole-cheats are shoplifting the state , our elite is doing an ongoing and systematic heist with truckloads of Euro. But there are no phones lines or emails addresses setup for people to shop them.

Should we request a phone line to report white collar / political crime? (the dole thing is just a drop in the ocean)

1890 RAT A TAT

Thank you for calling the rat line.

Push 1 to report bent Politian’s (With massive pensions and pay)
    Push 2 to report bent Bankers or NAMA profiteer (with a 1 mill a week bill !)
    Push 3 to report bent Builders
    Push 4 to report Dole cheats (drop in the ocean) or perhaps your neighbours.

Not one Politician or banker or builder has gone to jail. I think its such a shame the little people are turning against each other now. It takes the focus away from the really big parasites of this land.

its just the governments way of pointing the finger away from themselves . just like when they blamed the immigrants on the bear problem in the simpsons. Yes on proposition 44

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It is the duty of every citizen to report crime especially when we are all paying for it.

And fúck aren't we all paying for it, thanks to Seanie and his scummy ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Its just there are crimes not really worthy of the condemnation. I could never be a snitch in those scenarios

I think social snitches are up there with prison snitches.
    Just snitches that are jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A good tarring and feathering or kneecapping would sort them out!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Agricola wrote: »
    I was about to post exactly this, but youve saved me the bother.
    Anyone who thinks the nation has suddenly found its moral compass when it comes to social welfare fraud are either idiots or naive. Its pure spite and nothing more. "If im going to have to take a hit, well then that guy over the road is going to take one too" Pathetic. I don't condone SW fraud at all, but the reason the reporting of it has shot up to such a level is purely to do with the fact everyone's feeling the pinch now.

WEll yes. Before we could afford to pay for social welfare fraud. Before we could have social welfare fraud and SNAs in the local school and a full complement of nurses in the local hospital. Now it's either one or the other. Given that, it's hardly "spite" that people would seek to turn in the cheats whose illicit behaviour victimises the most vulnerable in society- it's basic cop on. We can't afford welfare fraud now. Simple as that. It's nothing to do with spite as you'd like to assert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Einhard wrote: »
    WEll yes. Before we could afford to pay for social welfare fraud. Before we could have social welfare fraud and SNAs in the local school and a full complement of nurses in the local hospital. Now it's either one or the other. Given that, it's hardly "spite" that people would seek to turn in the cheats whose illicit behaviour victimises the most vulnerable in society- it's basic cop on. We can't afford welfare fraud now. Simple as that. It's nothing to do with spite as you'd like to assert.

Why can't we afford social welfare fraud? Oh that's right - we're paying unsecured foreign bondholders for some reason. Quick... let's eat each others skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

At least we don't have to worry about Spina Biffo'da anymore

• Advertisement

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Its just there are crimes not really worthy of the condemnation. I could never be a snitch in those scenarios

Not worthy of condemnation ?

I think €645,000,000 is well worthy of condemnation!

Anyone who's happy to give money to those who don't deserve it doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about bondholders getting money they're not entitled to.

Yes, we should certainly stop doing BOTH, but if you're happy for one to continue then you've set the benchmark re being happy for both.

Advertisement