Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

And I've done Morne a disservice. But I could swear he was shown as something like 77% at the start of the Brumbies game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure if you mean Slade who plays for the Highlanders or Barrett who plays for the Hurricanes?

I tried to find kicking percentage stats for this years SXV, but to no avail. Barrett was the top points scorer for the NZ teams in 3rd position overall, but behind Steyn & Lealiifano. However he averaged 11 points a game versus 13 for Dan Carter. Cruden was on a shocking 5 points, but this is mainly because Anscombe did all the goalkicking early on in the competition for the Chiefs.

If anyone knows a good stats sight, I'd be obliged.

I meant Barrett for the 'Canes, sorry. Not sure if it was the game against the Highlanders or the one after.

I'm not a big fan of kicking stats. Jesse Mogg finished the season on about 40% but he doesn't kick anything under 50m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I meant Barrett for the 'Canes, sorry. Not sure if it was the game against the Highlanders or the one after.

I'm not a big fan of kicking stats. Jesse Mogg finished the season on about 40% but he doesn't kick anything under 50m.

Yeah, they never tell the whole story. Like because he's such a good goalkicker HP might take kicks from distance, which are obviously harder, and therefore lower his percentages.

From a NZ point of view, I just feel DC is not so reliable in matches that count. Like he had a poor kicking game v England in the loss at Twickenham, and he missed a couple of crucial kicks in the semi v the Chiefs. Nevertheless, 86% for the season is actually an excellent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/please-feed-the-back-line-rathbone-calls-end-to-slugfest-20130804-2r7he.html

Some really interesting comments from Clyde Rathbone about how the Chiefs deserved to win as they played attacking rugby, he does not directly attack the Brumbies management but rather states that the rugby laws should favour attacking rugby. Some understandable comments from him, not the most enjoyable role being a winger in a side that plays for position.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/please-feed-the-back-line-rathbone-calls-end-to-slugfest-20130804-2r7he.html

Some really interesting comments from Clyde Rathbone about how the Chiefs deserved to win as they played attacking rugby, he does not directly attack the Brumbies management but rather states that the rugby laws should favour attacking rugby. Some understandable comments from him, not the most enjoyable role being a winger in a side that plays for position.

Jake White has basically brought his successful coaching philosophy from RWC 2007 to the Brumbies. If a side is disciplined and sticks to the plan it is highly effective. It relies on a strong kicking game from the scrumhalf and fullback in particular (White & Mogg), a dead-eye dick goalkicker (Lealiifano), and a great openside (Smith). It's not the style of rugby I prefer, but I admire it for its efficacy. The Chiefs avoided panicking, and Cruden preventing Rathbone scoring was a key moment in the match. I think McKenzie will get Aussie playing a style of rugby that Aussie crowds look for, but it might ultimately be less successful than White's style, which he has mastered.

• Advertisement

Planetrugby's team of the SXV Tournament

15 Ben Smith (Highlanders)
    14 Henry Speight (Brumbies)
    13 Rene Ranger (Blues)
    12 Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
    11 Frank Halai (Blues)
    10 Aaron Cruden (Chiefs)
    9 Nic White (Brumbies)
    8 Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
    7 Matt Todd (Crusaders)
    6 Liam Messam (Chiefs)
    5 Sam Whitelock (Crusaders)
    4 Craig Clarke (Chiefs)
    3 Ben Tameifuna (Chiefs)
    2 Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs)
    1 Wyatt Crockett: (Crusaders

I have no doubt that Ben Smith will win the NZ award at prizegiving time, he was simply sensational in a dire Highlanders outfit this year.

League star Benji Marshall set to join the Blues for 2014. They could do with a decent playmaker, it's been a long time between Carlos Spencer drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

League star Benji Marshall set to join the Blues for 2014. They could do with a decent playmaker, it's been a long time between Carlos Spencer drinks.

I cant describe how excited I will be to watch him play Union, regarded as the best in League when I was in Australia, think he might have had a poor enough season just passed but he could be magic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just the one Saffer in the team. The lineup looks pretty dead on though.
    How long until Smith replaces Dagg for y all blacks?

Just the one Saffer in the team. The lineup looks pretty dead on though.
    How long until Smith replaces Dagg for y all blacks?

A while, I think. Dagg had a terrible start to the season, not helped by being shunted to the wing (where he's crap), but he came back into flying form for the France internationals, and hasn't looked back since. He scored another peach of a try in the SXV semi, and his punting is back on-song.

Smith has had an incredible 2013 to date, but I guess Dagg has that amazing ability to create a try out of nothing.

I've put the video in for you to see the try.

Edit: and added another classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Man Richie GOAT McCaw nails Dagg after that try...

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    Man Richie GOAT McCaw nails Dagg after that try...

I did too! Smashed the screen on my TV...

From the Stuff website. I didn't realise the Kings region had so many registered players.

Super Rugby chiefs are seriously considering splitting the current three-conference system into two from 2016 and adding two teams from Argentina.

Under a possible Super 18 model which appears the most logical future competition, Australian and New Zealand sides would join together in their own conference while South Africa would combine with Argentina.

Leading officials also say there's the possibility of Japanese teams being added in three years' time, but there's plenty of work to be done.

One thing's for certain: Super Rugby expansion will occur after the 2015 World Cup with governing body SANZAR committed to ensuring the recently-relegated Southern Kings will be one of six South African teams.

While SANZAR, which aims to finalise its next model by the end of the year, has a lot to consider before deciding upon its preferred model, the three-conference system looks to be coming towards an end.

SANZAR chief executive Greg Peters said the time-frame for the competition - currently played over 21 weeks, including three weeks for play-offs - could not be extended.

That makes it virtually impossible to keep the current structure if new teams are added as all three national unions want their local derby matches to played at home and away.

With the rigours of travel to and from South Africa combining to make player welfare a bigger issue, the simplest solution is for a two-conference split.

That would see the five Australian teams play each other twice and the five Kiwi sides once for 13 matches before both conferences came together in a six or eight-team finals series.

ARU boss Bill Pulver, who is also on SANZAR's executive committee, said the ARU hadn't decided on its preferred model but stressed the five Australian teams would remain.

"We're trying to keep a very open mind to what this structure looks like," he said in Sydney.

It's more likely two new Argentinian teams, rather than one, would be added to what would become an eight-team South African/American conference.

It would allow all teams to play home and away over 14 rounds.

The heavy political pressure for South Africa to have six teams only intensified with the Port Elizabeth-based Kings losing a tightly-fought two-match relegation play-off with the Johannesburg-based Lions last weekend.

"We really understand the desire for that from South Africa," Peters told AAP. "The Kings have 32 per cent of the playing population and 72 per cent of that is coloured," Peters said.

"We understand the need for six teams in South Africa."

While there's massive commercial benefits with the inclusion of Japan before it hosts the 2019 World Cup, there's logistical problems in fitting them into the Australasian conference.

SANZAR and the ARU are both pushing for the June international window to be moved to July to ensure Super Rugby can be played in one complete block instead of being interrupted for Test matches before the play-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭cp

Have to say I think this could be a really positive move, particularly for Argentina. Big stumbling block as always will be revenue distribution - I doubt the SARU would be thrilled about having to share revenue with the ANZ teams, whilst not actually getting to play them every year.

The other thing that strikes me is how little time this leaves for the Argentinian Union to get professional club structures in place. 2/3 years is a very short time frame for a country that has no experience in Pro Rugby.

Unless of course they just plant the Pampas IV and the Jaguars in two cities and designate them as their professional teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

What's the state of rugby in Argentina?Would it be safe for me to say that it's only played by the rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

How is one conference of 8 teams and another of 10 teams going to work though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

P_1 wrote: »
    How is one conference of 8 teams and another of 10 teams going to work though

What I've seen mentioned is the Aussie/NZ teams play the 4 other teams from their country home and away, and the 5 from the other country once, for a total of 13 matches. The SA/Arg conference would play each other home and away for 14 matches. The top 3 or 4 from each conference then go into the playoffs.

I think the Argentinian attendances would be shocking. They'd be like the Italians in the Rabo and Super Rugby doesn't need the extra teams as much as the Rabo did. Argentina should be looking to make their own competition, perhaps an Americas version of the Heineken Cup. It's bad enough already that teams have to fly all over the place for the playoffs, but Argentinian and SA sides crossing the Atlantic week in, week out would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Deano7788 wrote: »
    What I've seen mentioned is the Aussie/NZ teams play the 4 other teams from their country home and away, and the 5 from the other country once, for a total of 13 matches. The SA/Arg conference would play each other home and away for 14 matches. The top 3 or 4 from each conference then go into the playoffs.

Right so that means the Oz/NZ teams get the automatic 4 points for a bye but the SA/Argie teams won't

Swan Curry wrote: »
    What's the state of rugby in Argentina?Would it be safe for me to say that it's only played by the rich?

Well, I wouldn't shout it out loud on the streets of Buenos Aires, but yes I think you are correct.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I think the Argentinian attendances would be shocking. They'd be like the Italians in the Rabo and Super Rugby doesn't need the extra teams as much as the Rabo did. Argentina should be looking to make their own competition, perhaps an Americas version of the Heineken Cup. It's bad enough already that teams have to fly all over the place for the playoffs, but Argentinian and SA sides crossing the Atlantic week in, week out would be crazy.

They've to to start somewhere. If they organise it probably, they could maybe play all their away games in a row or something, or maybe in 2 blocks, to minimise the travel.

Julian Savea rumoured to be moving to the Crusaders :) Will make a perfect (better) replacement for Tom Marshall who is heading to the Chiefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Jacovs

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Chiefs-v-Toulon-a-reality-20130827

This could be interesting. Hopefully a yearly thing. Although will it be both teams with their top players?

Jacovs wrote: »
    http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Chiefs-v-Toulon-a-reality-20130827

This could be interesting. Hopefully a yearly thing. Although will it be both teams with their top players?

Sanzar Lions (+ Wilko & Armitage) v the Chiefs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

In Feb the chiefs would get smoked considering their rust. March/April through to September would be the reverse. Still interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Theres no Currie Cup thread, probably not worth making one so thought I would post here.

For those who could be bothered to have a look at this, the 46th minute of the game, 1:09:00 ish on the video.
    Comments on the TMO's penalty try decision aswell as the yellow card?
    The TMO is Willie Roos, make of that what you will.
    Apparently there was also a clear knock in the build to the Lions' first try, but I cant be bothered to search for it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9jczAM9NV4

Jacovs wrote: »
    Theres no Currie Cup thread, probably not worth making one so thought I would post here.

For those who could be bothered to have a look at this, the 46th minute of the game, 1:09:00 ish on the video.
    Comments on the TMO's penalty try decision aswell as the yellow card?
    The TMO is Willie Roos, make of that what you will.
    Apparently there was also a clear knock in the build to the Lions' first try, but I cant be bothered to search for it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9jczAM9NV4

Two words: wrong.

So the player is in from the side at a ruck that isn't formed, and even if the ruck was formed it would be illegal for Boshoff to continue to play the ball so he couldn't score. That's ridiculous.

Jake White quitting the Brumbies...ouch!

I assume he must have something else on the table, ?ASM-Clermont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

He can't be that upset about not getting the Australian job, has he not watched them lately. You are most likely right Swiwi that he has another job lined up. Big loss for the Brumbies

Advertisement