Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Nah, NP is Canes country...

It will be from 2015 onwards but right now it's Hurricanes. Besides, it would be good for Australian rugby if the Brumbis won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8844641,00.html

It seems like the Heineken isn't the only tournament whose future's up in the air at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Needless to say I'll be going for the Chiefs and I'm sure that they will do the business. As for Dan Carter bottling it.....Drop Goals are aren't his forte and he's no ROG or even Johnny Sexton when it comes to taking them. He can't be good at everything but he's still the best #10 in the world and Cruden still has work to do to topple him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Needless to say I'll be going for the Chiefs and I'm sure that they will do the business. As for Dan Carter bottling it.....Drop Goals are aren't his forte and he's no ROG or even Johnny Sexton when it comes to taking them. He can't be good at everything but he's still the best #10 in the world and Cruden still has work to do to topple him.

It wasn't the execution I had issue with. DGs are difficult for anyone. It was the decision making. Very un-Carter/Crusaders like. It was a panicky decision and as such caused him to snatch at the ball. He should've took himself out of the game and then he would've seen the momentum was with the crusaders at the time. They were making yards for fun and chiefs looked panicked after compounding one error with another. They would've got a kickable penalty at least.

Maybe it was more Freddie Krugers fault. The ball shouldn't have gone to DC for atleast a few more phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8844641,00.html

It seems like the Heineken isn't the only tournament whose future's up in the air at the moment.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that Eng & French clubs would consider joining with SA to form a HEC-type competition. The likes of Toulon, Clermont, or Northampton playing the Stormers, Bulls etc would probably have decent TV appeal. And the time-zone is perfect.

I think the Celtic clubs have got to be very careful about being too demanding when it comes to restructuring the HEC, if the above competition was to eventuate, that would just leave the Rabo and a substantial loss of revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The timing of it could be tricky. We've another season of HEC which will take us up to June 2014 and from looking at the above link it states that the next SuperXV deal will come into play from 2016 i.e. it ends in July 2015. So the French and English clubs would have to either have only domestic rugby for a season (which I'm not sure alot of English clubs can afford) or set up an Anglo French Cup for one season where it's debatable whether any of the teams would take seriously.

Then there's when the comp would be played, what with it being Summer in SA in Nov/Dec to Feb and the 6N in Feb-March.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The timing of it could be tricky. We've another season of HEC which will take us up to June 2014 and from looking at the above link it states that the next SuperXV deal will come into play from 2016 i.e. it ends in July 2015. So the French and English clubs would have to either have only domestic rugby for a season (which I'm not sure alot of English clubs can afford) or set up an Anglo French Cup for one season where it's debatable whether any of the teams would take seriously.

Then there's when the comp would be played, what with it being Summer in SA in Nov/Dec to Feb and the 6N in Feb-March.

Yeah, I'm sure that status quo will prevail, but it's not impossible. SA could easily move their Currie Cup around to suit. I'm sure SANZAR will remain, but I just think the Celtic clubs have got to be careful they don't go too far, because France & England can probably survive without them, but the inverse is not really true I don't think. Purely on TV audience grounds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If the French and English clubs started a comp between them they could survive but alot of the English clubs do need the money of European home gates and TV money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Anonymous Account 2013

It would be great to see the H cup include teams from South Africa and the Super XV include teams from Japan + a team from each Somoa, Fiji and Tonga.

But it would be difficult to organise the 4 nations when SA teams are playing in the northern hemisphere.

A tribute to unsung heroes

As the 2013 SXV draws to a close, it seems somehow right and proper that the 2 best coached sides have reached the final. Neither the Chiefs nor the Brumbies contain too many marquee players, and yet both have played much of the season as a Champion Team rather than a Team of Champions.

I genuinely thought the Crusaders, with 5 starting All Blacks in their pack, and the likes of Carter and Dagg in the backline would comfortably dispose of the Chiefs. And yet Dave Rennie and co showed they had fully absorbed the lessons of their round-robin thrashing, and provided a defensive masterclass alloyed to a display of true grit & determination to see out the victory. In Craig Clarke, Connacht have made a shrewd signing.

The Brumbies meanwhile have been resurrected under Jake White, who has an uncanny ability to map out a gameplan and get his team to stick with it. He has also unearthed some quality players this season such as Jessie Mogg, Matt Toomua and Peter Kimlin. I don’t exactly warm to his coaching style (still quite a kicking-based, territory-orientated gameplan), but it has proved very effective.

I think it will be an absorbing final, but I would favour the Chiefs to secure a consecutive title, for which Dave Rennie should take much credit. He has been without SBW & Richard Kahui this year, and had a devastating run of injuries mid-season, but has managed to make do, and his side has peaked at the right time.

The AB selectors would also do well to note that Sam Cane has not secured a starting position with the Chiefs all season, and I hope they haven’t got the blinkers on in this regard.

Hopefully, it will be an enjoyable finale, and roll on the Rugby Championship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

John Plumtree moving on from the Sharks to be Ireland forwards coach.

Ma'a'a'a'a Nonu still without a SXV home for 2014. NZRFU trying to twist the Canes' arms. Sounds like he's a right prima donna off the field, even his long-term comrade in arms Conrad Smith hardly gave a ringing endorsement when asked. Sounds like a marquee signing to avoid with a bargepole, Leinster & Munster etc you've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'd put up with the off the field strops to see him at Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ma'a'a'a'a Nonu still without a SXV home for 2014. NZRFU trying to twist the Canes' arms. Sounds like he's a right prima donna off the field, even his long-term comrade in arms Conrad Smith hardly gave a ringing endorsement when asked. Sounds like a marquee signing to avoid with a bargepole, Leinster & Munster etc you've been warned!

Has he been that poor in SXV? It's mad that one of the best players in the world can't find a club in his home country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Nonu and O'Connor should just start their own franchise

Has he been that poor in SXV? It's mad that one of the best players in the world can't find a club in his home country.

He's a Wellington man at heart. But to change toxic team culture he was given the boot from the Canes, and then wandered to the Blues and subsequently the Highlanders where his performances appeared half-assed at best. Always pulls it out for the ABs, though.

He'll no doubt end up back at the Canes, after the NZRFU puts the pressure on.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Nonu and O'Connor should just start their own franchise

You mean disenfranchise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Okay, where can I pay money for a legal, stable, HD stream of the final tomorrow?

Brian wrote: »
    Okay, where can I pay money for a legal, stable, HD stream of the final tomorrow?

I think the Sky Sports app on mobile phones, pads would work. From memory it's about €5 to €10 per month. Not certain about this, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Brian wrote: »

Now tv, its a sky run website that gives you access to all sky channels on your laptop for 24 hours for a 10er. Stable and high def.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Seems that it's not available in Ireland, Pudsy.

It is, I've used it many times. Use the website, not the app.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It is, I've used it many times. Use the website, not the app.

Are you in the north Pudsy? The now tv website says UK only. Maybe they consider NI the UK in terms of access to their streaming service. The Sky Sports TV app for iPhone is definitely available in ROI. At €6 per month it seems good value.

George Smith's 5th Super XV final.

Craig Clarke's last game before he joins Connacht.

I'm not in the north mate. Terms of service must have changed.

Great start from the Brumbies

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I'm not in the north mate. Terms of service must have changed.

Great start from the Brumbies

They're predictably good. Chiefs need to stick to gameplan, and not panic.

I don't understand why Anscombe not kicking the goals.

Chiefs just handing the game to the Brumbies so far. Brumbies just using the old Jake White trick of kicking the ball away, and waiting for the Chiefs to cough up a turnover or penalty. Chiefs should play a bit of territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

No need for the Chiefs to panic, they are seeing a lot of the ball so chances will come.

• Advertisement

YC shortly for the Brumbies, no? Their locks are just doing the continual flop at the breakdown.

Advertisement