Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Mogg :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Big momentum shift

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why is Joubert giving the same warning twice? The last time he said "Next time it's the bin".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Brumbies look like they have nothing left in the tank.

Why is Joubert giving the same warning twice? The last time he said "Next time it's the bin".

Next next time it's in the bin.

• Advertisement

AC finds his kicking boots in the nick of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That is the game there

Retallick is excellent. Brilliant pilfer.

TJ was going back for out on the full there. Could have had a lineout in the 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Once again, phenomenal signing by Connacht.

• Advertisement

Well done Chiefs!

...and fairplay to the Brumbies for an excellent challenge.

Congratulations to the Chiefs, it was a good match.

Very poor atmosphere for the trophy presentation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

so thanks very much *clap clap clap*

Lions-Kings meant to be a sellout (and therefore record) crowd, but I can't watch it because there are no bloody streams around. 6-0 Kings so far, Lions 1 up on aggregate.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Lions-Kings meant to be a sellout (and therefore record) crowd, but I can't watch it because there are no bloody streams around. 6-0 Kings so far, Lions 1 up on aggregate.

It's packed alright. Apart from the upper stands.

I was very confused there for a second seeing as I'm not following super rugby this year. It's not often you see the losing team celebrating when the final whistle is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well what happens now to the Kings? Do they loan out their best players during next year's Super Rugby?

Surely this system of one SA province getting promoted and relegated every season isn't sustainable...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well what happens now to the Kings? Do they loan out their best players during next year's Super Rugby?

Surely this system of one SA province getting promoted and relegated every season isn't sustainable...

The problem with the Kings IMO is that their union isn't in the top division of the Currie Cup. Until they can do that they just can't really be competitive in the S15

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It isn't and i think it's one of the main reasons for discussions of new formats for Super rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Decent final but lacked a bit of a spark. Fatigue seemed to affect the Brumbies near the end. Cruden had a poor game and should be relieved he was given the chance to win it. Great team ethic the chiefs have in fairness.

I like that the TMO can be used a bit further out the field now but Joubert was taking the piss a bit. For Leali'ifano's try he was right there watching and told George smith everything was fine yet he went and asked the TMO if he should be overruled. Crazy.

Decent final but lacked a bit of a spark. Fatigue seemed to affect the Brumbies near the end. Cruden had a poor game and should be relieved he was given the chance to win it. Great team ethic the chiefs have in fairness.

I like that the TMO can be used a bit further out the field now but Joubert was taking the piss a bit. For Leali'ifano's try he was right there watching and told George smith everything was fine yet he went and asked the TMO if he should be overruled. Crazy.

Cruden was fine, but his goalkicking was terrible. He's a fearless defender. I have Leigh Halfpenny envy at present. Carter seems to be pretty much a 70% man these days, Beauden Barrett might be the best goalkicker of the 3 flyhalves. NZ's best at the moment is Gareth Anscombe, at one stage he was running 90% for the season, but got injured, and then when he came back Rennie preferred Cruden :eek:

The TMO has been a definite success this season, but like yourself, sometimes they should just call it, rather than refer each & every try for confirmation.

Carter's still a world class goal kicker, wasn't he around 85% for super rugby?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Carter's still a world class goal kicker, wasn't he around 85% for super rugby?

You might be right, but he just seems to miss a fair few these days, including in the semi. When he first hit the scene, he seemed to be Halfpennyesque.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Barrett had some shocking kicks at goal in the last match I saw him play for the Highlanders.

Barrett had some shocking kicks at goal in the last match I saw him play for the Highlanders.

Not sure if you mean Slade who plays for the Highlanders or Barrett who plays for the Hurricanes?

I tried to find kicking percentage stats for this years SXV, but to no avail. Barrett was the top points scorer for the NZ teams in 3rd position overall, but behind Steyn & Lealiifano. However he averaged 11 points a game versus 13 for Dan Carter. Cruden was on a shocking 5 points, but this is mainly because Anscombe did all the goalkicking early on in the competition for the Chiefs.

If anyone knows a good stats sight, I'd be obliged.

Here are highlights of the final. I reckon Robbie Robinson would make an excellent signing for any Irish province, he's a very good player, but without ever having represented NZ, his price shouldn't be exorbitant. I think he can goal kick too, from memory. He's represented NZ U20 and the Maori All Blacks.

Edit: Found a wee RR tribute.

The one thing I'm certain of is that Carter was 89% at the start of the Chiefs semi. Steyn was under 80% at the start of the Brumbies game. If you're really that keen, every S15 game is on youtube as it was shown on Fox/Sky sports, and pretty much all the time they show a kicker's season stats before one of their first kicks. I might actually send an email to Fox Sports to get some statistics because it's pretty interesting stuff.

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

Cheers! I forgot about Tom Taylor (Crusaders), he is also a formidable goalkicker. But Matthew8 is right, I have been doing Carter a disservice, he finished on 86%.

Advertisement