Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll show you mine, mark 2 - No quoting pictures!

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Bambi wrote: »
    A cat with and monocle and top hat is a very specific image though, its not a standard "every" type of tattoo.

Just not a fan of tattoos with specific meanings being used outside the culture that they have meaning in. Thats just me

top hats and monocles go together.

I ****ing hate people who insist on tattoos having a meaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I have flowers on my arm... it's flowers... it has no meaning...
    I have a bow on my leg... it's a bow... it has no meaning...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Arawn wrote: »
    I ****ing hate people who insist on tattoos having a meaning

Except, of course, when their actual purpose is to communicate a specific meaning.

Thats slightly different to some young wan getting three stars to commemorate her cats kittens that died or whatever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Except, of course, when their actual purpose is to communicate a specific meaning.

Thats slightly different to some young wan getting three stars to commemorate her cats kittens that died or whatever :pac:

The russians also use nautical stars to symbolioze rank I think. Does that mean nautical stars are now off limits???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The russians also use nautical stars to symbolioze rank I think. Does that mean nautical stars are now off limits???

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In all honesty each to there own, were not exactly in Russia here and I think you would be hard pushed to find a Russian prisoner with tattoo's in that style so brightly coloured and that well done;).

We all get tattoo's for our own reasons, your trying to put conventional thinking onto something which is often viewed upon as unconventional in the first place by many.

A much more common example of this is the koi fish a lot of people get a koi because they love the meaning behind it, have a love for Japanese culture or other which is a lot just get them because they love how they look. Tattoo's can be as meaningless or as deep as the persons who's body there on wants them to be.

We all get tattoo's for our own reasons, your trying to put conventional thinking onto something which is often viewed upon as unconventional in the first place by many.

Exact opposite, I just don't like seeing something that was utterly unconventional and held significance and showed commitment being adopted by people just because they like the look of it or because its hip.

live it or leave it to those that do. there's no shortage of other images on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Aye cap'n I'm afraid so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'm getting a jungle sleeve done doesn't mean I'm Tarzan.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

If they have them in their knees it means they will never kneel to figures of authority.
    A topic for another thread but I'd say 90% of images mean something in some prison in some country.

A shamrock is a symbol of the Arian brotherhood, even if your Irish in an American prison, you can't have a shamrock on show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

If you google cat russian prison tattoo they look zero like mine, fair enough some of them have a hat on but they certainly arent wearing a monocle and suit with a top hat :pac: For me it symbolizes absolutely nothing other than I love cats and I thought it would look awesome

If you google cat russian prison tattoo they look zero like mine, fair enough some of them have a hat on but they certainly arent wearing a monocle and suit with a top hat :pac: For me it symbolizes absolutely nothing other than I love cats and I thought it would look awesome

i've seen russian prisons tats that have cats with top hats and collars, usually a cigar instead of a monocle. I've seen pictures of them positioned in the same place too, top of the foot.

You say zero, I say about 80% :)

For me it symbolizes absolutely nothing other than I love cats and I thought it would look awesome

fair enough but to me lifting something that has meaning in a different culture just because it looks good is crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

fair enough but to me lifting something that has meaning in a different culture just because it looks good is crass.

A bit ironic really.

Anyways I'm sure no one in this thread wants to be reading this its a thread for pictures with the odd chat not full on discussions ;), I'm sure if you want to display your feeling towards people having tattoo's for aesthetic reason as only getting it because it's "hip" or discuss the symbolism behind certain tattoo's starting a new thread would be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i've seen russian prisons tats that have cats with top hats and collars, usually a cigar instead of a monocle. I've seen pictures of them positioned in the same place too, top of the foot.

You say zero, I say about 80% :)

I seen lots of busts and pictures while travelling europe of people with animal heads and though it was a cool idea.There were many of cats in bruges in particular and I took some photos. I love cats and recently got one of my own so decided to get a girl cat portrait modeled on her. I like pairs so I decided to get a boy to match. There were two of them so I decided my feet was a nice place to put them. The pictures along with a painting my boyfriend found were the reference I brought in to the artist. I didnt sit around googling gang tattoos and go jesus thats a great idea I will get that because it looks pretty. I thought of an idea myself, got it, and it just happened to be associated with russian prisons, not that I have to explain myself to you. I didnt lift something from another culture, I just wanted to celebrate my new kitten, the boy cat was pretty much to keep my girl one company and I really dont care what you or anyone else thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If doing something someone else has already thought of doing it in a different context is crass I think we're just going to have to accept that everything any of us ever does is probably going to be crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ok folks, this is getting pulled way off topic and more difficult to look through, so I'm going to lock this thread, and make a new "No pic, No post" thread for pics. I'll copy the most recent few pic posts to the new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement