Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

^^^^ - you could have gone for being the bigger man.

whatever, in an attempt to inject some humour back into this thread, my bro-in-law is a fairly senior italian priest with limited english. He loves coming here for visits/work etc so we got him the boxset, initially he didnt realise it was a comedy, once explained and with a bit of coaching he eventuially found the humour in it. Dont think he keeps out on his shelf with the rest of his DVDs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Do me a favour and let me know when your kids *fingers crossed* get leukemia.

you need to leave.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's fine for him to tell me to go die though? The hypocrisy is what is unreal.

It's a figure of speech around here.. and it was meant in jest, do you really think he wanted you to go and die because you don't have the same taste in comedy?

Pretty fcuked up telling someone you hope their children get leukemia.. that's just disgusting carry on.

Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Do me a favour and let me know when your kids *fingers crossed* get leukemia.

I know it's an internet forum and all, but you should be ashamed of yourself after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Bunshop Voyeur banned for personal abuse

Back on topic please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

OK, I will put my hand up and say I never got Father Ted.

I am not Irish, but love Irish comedy ahd have lived here 12 years so it isn't that I don't get Irish humour. I have watched a good few episodes so I have given it a chance, but I just found the humour really obvious.

Don't shoot me!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dougle on Versace.

"You remember that fella, who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Dancor wrote: »
    Dougle on Versace.

:( Nope.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

In an unusual move, Mrs Doyle has baked a jumper into the cake :D

Dougal: You wouldn't have a lasagna or a chicken curry or something like that?
    Garda: No.
    Dougal: OK, then maybe I'll just have a bag of chips, and could I have a Fanta Orange as well please.
    Garda: Do you know where you are? This is a Police station.
    Dougal: Right, then in that case I'll just have the chicken satay and pilau rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

I love the 'Airplane' one:

Priest: I think I should get both parachutes because I'm great!
    Other Priests: Boooooo
    Ted: Not a popular one there father.

Ted and Dougal are fixing the wheel of the plane:

Dougal: Are you Ok Ted?
    Ted: I am Dougal. I'm so used to things going wrong but now that there is a terrible disaster I feel a tremendous sense of clam, do you know what I mean?
    Dougal: I do Ted
    Ted: Do you really?
    Dougal: No.

Cameos from Linehan and Matthews as well. Classic episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Dougal: Didn't you say that Father Jack had trials for Liverpool?

Ted: No, Jack was on trial, in Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

most of the lines arent that funny without the context of the show and how ted or someone says it. its so funny tho

I've never seen it as Irish humor either, it parodies Irish culture but the comedy isn't particulary irish(or british) its like your typical american slapstick comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Dancor wrote: »
    Dougle on Versace.

Lol, I only got that joke now, after seeing an ad on tv for that Versace guy. Now it's even funnier then before.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I think it is still one of the best comedies I have ever encountered, and I normally would not be that big a fan of Irish/UK comedies (of course I also love IT Crowd and Black Books), and I think that it and Blackadder will always stand the test of time. Characters stick with you years after the show ended. Always find it's crazy to think John and Mary only appeared in 6 episodes and Bishop Brennan only appeared in 3 episodes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

this is my fuppin spot

but there's lots of room, could you not go over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

Sorry if this was mentioned before,I didnt read through the whole thread but theres a fr ted app on the Android market,its just a quiz but its tremendous fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

Flipper. Flipper the priest.

YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Sun's out and I'm in an opticians- doesn't get any better than this..

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Rabbits? Where? Oh wow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

but I just found the humour really obvious.

Don't shoot me!!!! :D
    Now, Tom, this is the first time you've been trusted
    with such a large consignment of raw sewage.
    - Are you sure you'll be all right?

- Don't worry about me at all.

This button opens the doors and this one shoots the sewage out.

This for the doors and this shoots the stuff out?

- No, the other way around.

- Right you are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

Father Jim Sutton: Why is it always the good ones? You BASTARD! (shakes fist to Heaven) He could've been Pope!

Father Ted: We'll see him in the next world.

Father Jim Sutton: Oh yeah, sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

'Dougal, I think father Jack might be an agoraphobic
    Jack afraid of fighting? I don't think so ted'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭user098

I prefer Dermot Morgan's real life inspiration for Fr. Ted, Fr. Brian Darcy. Much funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Dougal - ''All he has is a crappy blue Ford Cortina''

Ted (looks up) - ''That's my car....''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Dougal: 'Ted!! Did Len find the rabbits??'

Bishop Brennan: 'What did he say?!'

Ted: 'I better tell you...'

Bishop Brennan: 'Did he call me Len again?!

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Today driving into town I couldn't help but think of Dougal saying, "God it's lovely out". Great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Sorry if this was mentioned before,I didnt read through the whole thread but theres a fr ted app on the Android market,its just a quiz but its tremendous fun :)

Larry Duff "tremendous fun"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There was some great minor characters.

Fr Austin Purcell, what a great character (the most annoying priest in Ireland). In a cupboard talking to himself "What's your favourite humming noise....... My father said Always.....No, Never, Never lift......No Always.... You know I built and extension onto my extension and now my house is in a circle......."

Fr Liam ????? who wrecks Teds house everytime he comes over. "Cowboys Ted, whoever built that..... shoddy workmanship (kicks hole in the door)... and look, sure you could talk that into coming down (rips shelf off wall)...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Plazaman wrote: »
    Fr Liam ????? who wrecks Teds house everytime he comes over. "Cowboys Ted, whoever built that..... shoddy workmanship (kicks hole in the door)... and look, sure you could talk that into coming down (rips shelf off wall)...."

Father Liam Deliverance, apparently!

Advertisement