Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jim Crowley Log

Options
  • 10-02-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

He's back after being on the missing list for the last week or two. Don't know where he was but I missed him. I explained in my other wildly successful log why I back him - he makes money for me.

He's back tomorrow at Lingfield and Kempton with two rides at the former and three at the latter.

I tend to back him relatively blindly, unless his mount appears to be completely out of his depth I'll have something on. Even longer priced shots I'll have a little touch on, just in case. When I started backing him 2-3 years ago it wasn't unknown for him to land the spoils on 20/1 shots and longer.

I'll post up the bets tomorrow before the racing starts so here's hoping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Prices are up. I have deposited €100 to my PP account which is my starting balance. All bets will be €5, if odds are greater than 7/1 the stake will be €2.50 e/w.

Lingfield

12.35 Attain €2.50 e/w @ 9/1
    2.45 Palace Moon €5.00 @ 9/4

Kempton

4.10 Opus Maximus €2.50 e/w @ 8/1
    4.45 Rasheed €5 @ 11/4
    5.15 Snow Ridge €5 @ 13/2

Prices are up. I have deposited €100 to my PP account which is my starting balance. All bets will be €5, if odds are greater than 7/1 the stake will be €2.50 e/w.

Lingfield

12.35 Attain €2.50 e/w @ 9/1 2nd @6/1
    2.45 Palace Moon €5.00 @ 9/4 1st @ 7/2

Kempton

4.10 Opus Maximus €2.50 e/w @ 8/1 7th @ 15/2
    4.45 Rasheed €5 @ 11/4 1st @ 11/4
    5.15 Snow Ridge €5 @ 13/2 9th @ 4/1 (9th of 10)

So a pretty good return to action for Crowley, nice profit for the day.

New balance €123.25
    P/L +€23.25

Back in action at Lingfield tomorrow with 4 rides for various trainers. Prices are only up on PP for one of his mounts, Princess Lexi and has already shortened from 4/1 to 3/1f. I've taken that and will take any price that comes up in the next hour or so before bed, otherwise it will be morning. (Unfortunately I don't have Pyro's ability to stay up all night!!)

Lingfield

2.30 Miss Tenacious €2.50 e/w @ 15/2 nowhere

3.30 Princess Lexi €5 @ 3/1 2nd by a neck

4.30 Spiritual Art €2.50 e/w @ 25/1 nowhere

5.00 Moment in the Sun €2.50 e/w @ 10/1 2nd @ 13/2

New balance €110.75

Two rides at Kempton tomorrow, will post them when prices are up, might be the morning.

Kempton

5.45 Macy Anne €5.01 @ 4/1

7.45 My Best Man €2.50 e/w @ 12/1

Also did a €0.37 e/w double on these, coupled with the €5.01 on the first horse just to round off the balance.

Balance €100

• Advertisement

No joy today and no rides tomorrow.

He's back today with one ride at Southwell and a strange one at that. A David Pipe horse he's ridden lto and showed nothing as I remember. www.irishracing.com had him as a 16/1 outsider since the card went up 2 days ago. Last night he was a best price 13/2, this morning when I got to it, PP had him shown as being backed from 11/2 into 7/2. I haven't a clue what's going on, definitely don't feel like getting on the gamble outside the log. Can't see the reason behind it at all. Anyway, this is a log and rules are rules so;

Southwell 4.00 Effervesce 5 pts @ 7/2

Just read PP's little write up that they do for each race and they say 'a serious market move for Effervesce will be revealing'. I'd bet 5 pts that they wrote that up when they saw a serious market move. They side with Brunello. Read into that what you will.

No joy today. Effervesce was backed off the boards but ultimately was out-stayed to finish second. Ran better than I thought he would though, going on previous evidence.

He has a few rides tomorrow that I'd be more confident about so here's hoping.

Three rides today. Going to have a nice bet in-shop on these too.

Lingfield

2.50. Bramshill Lass €5 @ 7/2

5.00 Kings Future €2.50 e/w @ 14/1

Kempton

7.30 Fire In Babylon €5 @ 3/1

• Registered Users Posts: 25 budthewiser

If the third horse doesn't win you are some doo da.
    I have been following this for 2 weeks and am nearly broke from ya.not trying to be nasty but you sounded like you knew what you were on about.

• Advertisement

I have been following this for 2 weeks and am nearly broke from ya.not trying to be nasty but you sounded like you knew what you were on about.

Good man. You will, if you read my first post properly, notice that I started with €100. This is called a bankroll. This is to facilitate the inevitable losses that will occur along the way. The goal is to see if the jockey is profitable to follow in the longterm. The fact that this has to be explained to you reflects on your 'doo da'-ness, not mine. I don't have a gun, legally held or otherwise, to hold to your head to force you to follow my bets. In fact, I'm keeping this log to see if my own following of Jim Crowley is worthwhile, not to post up tips for others to follow. That's everyone's own decision and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of regulars on this forum make up their own minds as anyone with half a brain will do.

Grow up and stand on your own two feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had this a bit when doing Cathy Gannon/Silvestre De Sousa blogs. Some people don't get it.

mike65 wrote: »
    I had this a bit when doing Cathy Gannon/Silvestre De Sousa blogs. Some people don't get it.

I remember that Mike. We'd all be broke if we followed every horse that someone fancied.

Have a reply typed out on the laptop but Internet is gone on the blink. On the phone for this. Suffice to say today was a very disappointing day with no returns.

• Moderators Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Banned for a week. Take the nonsensical posts elsewhere.

Thanks Pyro (come back soon pleeeeease!!) Just reading back over the log, wondering how he could translate 'I tend to back him relatively blindly' into I know what I'm talking about' is completely beyond me. :pac:

So a very poor day yesterday. The longest priced horse, King's Future, was arguably the best performer, outrunning his odds to finish fourth. Thank God I didn't see the jockey change in the 4.30 or I'd have had another loser. Which leads me to add to the rules of the log. Spare rides will NOT be counted, win or lose. I don't have constant access to the net so it would just be pointless and unfair on the log to include them if I see them in time or try to aftertime if I don't. Anyway, seeing as I'm using real money it would be pointless to aftertime them.

Quiet few days for Crowley so hopefully back soon.

Three today, all Lingfield.

2.50 Oasis Dancer €5 @ 5/4 1st @ 6/5

3.20 Loyalty €5 @ 9/2 3rd @ 9/2

5.05 Desert Strike €2.50 e/w @7/1 3rd @ 9/1

New Balance €83.25

Two tomorrow at Lingfield, neither of which inspires huge confidence. Only one race priced up as yet.

3.40 Sottovoce €2.50 e/w @ 11/1

4.10 Fushicho €2.50 e/w @ 9/1

Ooooooh, so close with Sottovoce. Just failed to get up on the line, beaten a shd. Great ride by Crowley.

Lovely ride by Crowley on Sottovoce. Came off the bridle early but he brought him wide in the straight and galvanised him to fly home to a close second. Another few yards would have made all the difference. Fushicho couldn't match the pace of the winner and second placed horse and finished a remote 4th of five.

Both horses drifted, Sottovoce going off at 14/1.

New balance €84.50.

One ride in the last at Kempton tomorrow evening which is the forecasted favourite.

• Advertisement

Kempton 8.45 Clodhopper €5 @ 7/4

Balance €79.50

Just checked results and Clodhopper won. Didn't see the race but looks like he won with minimum fuss. I was keeping an eye on the price through the day and he was trading favouritism with Source of Light, who finished well back in the field. Clodhopper could be backed at 5/2 during the day in PP or Boyles but he went off 9/4 fav in the end.

So, happy days, getting closer to my original bank. Hopefully the luck will continue tomorrow.

Bank €95.75

Three today, all at Kempton later on.

5.40 Saby's Gem €2.50 e/w @ 7/1

7.40 Esytopoloishdiamond €5 @ 11/2

8.40 Hoover €2.50 e/w @ 8/1

Didn't see any of the races but Esytopolishdiamond was backed into 7/2 fav and won his race. Neither of the other two seem to have done much and finished disappointingly down the order.

Great day for the log though, back in positive territory.

Balance €113.25

Busy enough day tomorrow for Jimbo at Lingfield. Just looked at the Wolves card too, nothing for Crowley there but two things stood out. George Baker goes there for one ride on Russian Bullet in the 6.40. Now I'd travel across the world if I thought I'd get a ride on anything Russian but a top notch jock like Baker is probably more fussy and hopefully is only going if he thinks the horse has a decent chance. Forecast price is 11/2, I'll be having a score on that in-shop tomorrow.

Also, promising young jump jockey Brendan Powell goes there for one ride on his father's horse Chaninbar in the 8.10, which is a forecasted big price and might be worth a fiver e/w. He's riding at Newbury, his local course, in the afternoon and then taking the horse approx. 90 miles to Wolves. Hopefully there's something in this. Worth a small flutter in my opinion.

PP are best price anyway on the one race they have priced up so might as well take it.

Lingfield 5.00 Titan Triumph €2.50 e/w @ 13/2

Lingfield

2.45 Princess Lexi €5 @ 2/1

3.50 Ability n Delivery €5 @ 11/2

5.30 Jericho €5 @ 11/4

Could be a very good or very bad day!!

Happy days, Ability n Delivery wins the dash with ease to guarantee profit for the day. Princess Lexi found zilch off the bridle, will find it hard to back her with any confidence in future.

Fingers crossed for the other two.

I'm gay.

• Advertisement

I'm only gay for Jim Crowley before anyone gets ideas!

Great day, Ability n Delivery was well able and delivered.
    Titan Triumph had a titanic battle and triumphed on the line.
    (see what I did there?!!)

The other two didn't really figure but who cares. In a way I'm happy Princess Lexi didn't win as I had a €10 accie on the 4 horses which would have been worth close to €3k I think so a possible heart attack was avoided in the last.

Balance €145.94. Thrilled.

Advertisement