Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrys Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

bogtreader wrote: »
    There is a possibility Laurent Blanc is free after the Euros
    I wonder what anyones opinion on him is

Not for me, not good enough to progress. Remember the last manager we got from the French national team.

If I was to pick a current Premier League manager to succeed Harry Redknapp (excluding Alex Ferguson), there is only one manager i think could take us on from here and that is Martin O`Neill. He`s only just started a new job at Sunderland so the chances of getting him now would be very slim, maybe in the summer.
    As for foreign Managers, one of Mourinho, Hiddink or Hitzfeld would be great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

How about Frank Rijkaard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I don't believe a word the Daily Fail prints

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Slightly off topic, but I dont understand how everyone seems so convienced that the new manager is going to get a war chest to spend on new players in the summer.

Yes, we raised plenty of money by selling off our fringe players last summer and spent very little of that since but that doesnt automatically mean that the balance of whats left is going to go to the new man in charge.

From what I can re-call, we made plenty of money from the sales of Berba, Carrick etc but never spent the half of it .. where's that money now? - gone. Same as last summers cash. Not to mention when we sold a pile of others like Keane, Defoe, Kaboul etc and bought them back for a fraction of their original price.

I'm not saying the excess of transfers funds raised compared to player sbought has 'gone missing' or has been wasted in any way but its gone to shareholders or on facilties or wages or youth players or whatever and I think the new man will be lucky to get 20million plus part of whatever is used through sales this summer if he is lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Have a look at this lads, I think you can take it that Harry is most definitely on his bike !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16983873

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Have a look at this lads, I think you can take it that Harry is most definitely on his bike !

yes he is gone for certain

We need to get it agreed and a new name in a.s.a.p or we could really start to suffer. luca and bale etc will say "sure why kill ourselves when we might a have a muppet mgr in the summer " . We need to get this sorted really really soon but knowing levy he will hold out and negotiate in the summer when our dreams could be well and truly over

people talking about chris hughton on this forum for the job - no way

we need a BIG name to keep the momentum going

@ 05.22 when joking about the John Terry issue ... even HR think's he's a shoe-in. I hope he gets it, would be terrible for the man if he went for it and they gave it to someone else at this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^ who is available though? I fully agree that worst case is Steve McClaren type.

It's a catch 22 situation. Levy might wait and see how the euro's go for a number of teams in order to see what managers might become available or become more attractive but what players are going to want to sign for a team that hasn't a manager in place.

Best case scenario is we announce a big name in next 3-4 weeks, we finish out the season and get CL football.

Worst case scenario is that HR leaves , the euro's come and go and we end up taking a risk on some former player come the end of July. we sign no-one of any use or worse sign a handful of sh1te players and Bale/modric/VDV go.

I think the reality will be somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Spurs were loyal to Harry during this trial now Harry needs to be loyal back

Would I be right in saying that this is Mr Levys biggest challenege to date at Spurs ? Some say he got lucky with Redknapp, some say Redknapp got lucky with Spurs, but either way, when Harry leaves us for England, it's a huge challenge facing Levy in appointing the right man to continue carrying us forward and where we all want us to be !

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Rastapitts wrote: »
    Spurs were loyal to Harry during this trial now Harry needs to be loyal back

I'm no Harry basher but the words "loyal" and Harry don't fit well together. Id say he will go as soon as the season finishes for the euro's! Our priority is to ensure that whoever gets the job afterwards gets the backing to continue to invest in the squad and also convince Bale & Modric to stay for another year at least.

To be fair to Harry is has done a great job of harnessing the potential of the squad over the 3 years. If he goes then all the best to him, he can return in 2 years time when the english press drives him from the english job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭golfball37

if Harry stays til at least the end of the season then he's repayed us imo.

Nobody has mentioned scenario 3.

Harry turns down England, Modric leaves, we sign Ade permantly along with 2 good signings but are in bottom half a mile off pace come october after a disastrous start.

Would Levy show recipricol loyalty in the same circumstances? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I fear the damage has already been done, from his interview on SSN it seems to me his head is on getting the England job. Its made me feel a bit deflated today and it feels like the end of something that was really going places. I hope I am wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

golfball37 wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned scenario 3.

Harry turns down England, Modric leaves, we sign Ade permantly along with 2 good signings but are in bottom half a mile off pace come october after a disastrous start.

Dont want to drag off topic but i cant see this scenario really. If Harry turns down England and Modric leaves, we still have a very good squad, with the likes of Hudd not even getting a game. No way we would be bottom half, the squad shouldn't be as distracted by CL football and hopefully we wont get a group as tough as last time

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I fear the damage has already been done, from his interview on SSN it seems to me his head is on getting the England job. Its made me feel a bit deflated today and it feels like the end of something that was really going places. I hope I am wrong though.

Ah he's on his bike alright. It's just going to be a case of how it's managed between Levy and the FA now. Just hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect on the remainder of our season now.

I agree,

I would have no problem with the 'Arry if he stays till the end of the season but to jump ship while we are still in a title race with 14 games to go after the fans/club stood by him over the Tax case frankly will be a kick in the balls.

It's a worrying time TBH I just hope it doesn't effect the results for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

ziedth wrote: »
    I agree,

I would have no problem with the 'Arry if he stays till the end of the season but to jump ship while we are still in a title race with 14 games to go after the fans/club stood by him over the Tax case frankly will be a kick in the balls.

It's a worrying time TBH I just hope it doesn't effect the results for the rest of the season.

Stuart Pearce has been appointed for the Holland friendly.

England don't have any other matches before the end of season.

'Arry may be asked to play some kind of advisory role in England's preparations but he won't leave Spurs til May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Not much of a success in the coaching world so far, will be interesting to see how he gets on with the USA.

The man is a clown so far, he seems to have no idea of the squad and the football is tedious so far.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    Stuart Pearce has been appointed for the Holland friendly.

England don't have any other matches before the end of season.

'Arry may be asked to play some kind of advisory role in England's preparations but he won't leave Spurs til May.

Doesn't mean he won't leave to prep for the finals. If the quotes flying around are to be believed then I honestly think he'll be gone after the Newcastle game.

I've been supporting Spurs for over twenty years now and it's always the same. The minute we get good or find a star player someone comes along and cherry picks the player/management. We're going to go back to being mid table crap again probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I don't think Harry will want to leave before the end of the season but we will seriously need to have a good replacement lined up and ready to step straight in. The likes of Modric and Bale if they are considering their futures, will be more likely to stay if a new (and good) manager is drafted in as soon as the season ends so they can start looking at what summer signings are to be brought in.
    Hopefully things move swiftly and Levy is willing to stump up the cash to get a worldclass striker in early in the transfer window. Worst case scenario is weeks dragging on before getting a new manager in and no noteworthy signings by the time the new season has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tomo75

I think Levy is too shrewd to be left on the lurch. He will try and screw the FA for as much money as he can before he starts talking about a replacement.
    Harry has done a great job for us but Levy would have had no problem giving him the bullet if we were 2 points from 8 games and going nowhere.
    I believe that Levy will have a manager lined up for 1st June. When you have a squad which is gonna be playing CL football ;) and has one of the best squads in the PL - a top name is alot easier to attract.

Would I be right in saying that this is Mr Levys biggest challenege to date at Spurs ? Some say he got lucky with Redknapp, some say Redknapp got lucky with Spurs, but either way, when Harry leaves us for England, it's a huge challenge facing Levy in appointing the right man to continue carrying us forward and where we all want us to be !

Your spot on, i think this is Levy`s biggest challenge to date at Spurs. Things are at the highest level for Spurs at the moment under his chairmanship and his next appointment as manager has to keep these levels up there. It is going to be hard to attract the Mourinho`s of this world because of the finances involved, and the wage structure at the club which handicaps us in terms of transfer dealings. But if we can secure champions league it may make these difficulties a little easier to attract a top manager and the top players. In Levy I trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I still think Harry would be mad to take on the England job and if he does it won't be long before he regrets it.Just look at the s**t been thrown at Stewart Peirce this evening,the papers dragging up some old film of him shouting racist remarks at Paul Ince in a game many years ago,the media are all for Redknapp to get the job but as soon as the results go crappy they'll crucify him.

lol Stewart Pierce! :D It's Stuart Pearce silly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

If harry goes now before the end of our best season in years I'll be disgusted with him because it could derail the while thing. We need to have qualified for the champions league before he goes anywhere.

I don't think it's the end of the world though if he leaves in the summer. The team is still intact and I could be wrong but would levy not be a bigger reason why we have such great players here at the moment. I don't know how many of them were harry.s doing. I remember he was offered vdv, he didn't have much involvement. While saying that harry had been great for spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Valcin wrote: »
    If harry goes now before the end of our best season in years I'll be disgusted with him because it could derail the while thing. We need to have qualified for the champions league before he goes anywhere.

I don't think it's the end of the world though if he leaves in the summer. The team is still intact and I could be wrong but would levy not be a bigger reason why we have such great players here at the moment. I don't know how many of them were harry.s doing. I remember he was offered vdv, he didn't have much involvement. While saying that harry had been great for spurs.

His signings or not, we are playing the way we are because of Harry. His loss to the team would be massive, make no mistake.

• Advertisement

I agree,

I haven't been his biggest fan over the years but he has really achieved something in his time here. I really hope he stays out the season because short of going on to win the league we are all going to wonder "what if".

Sure, I still think if Liverpool weren't up shít creek when they sacked Roy Hodson he would have been in like Flynn and been gone but that's only my opinion so I will give him the benefit that you'd assume that it is his dream to manage England and I won't begrude him leaving.

We have a nice "week off" now because of a handy enough FA Cup game so we should know exactly how things lie before our big one against Arsenal.

Only as a Spurs fan would you be experiencing both lifetime high and low at the sane time.

Advertisement