Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No threads about Tera? Interesting...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Cheers for the replies. Think I'll go with Lancer and see how I get on, will be levelling with 2 friends most of the time so I'm not worried about the low damage side of things. Are PvP servers as annoying as I've been hearing?

Also what's end game like? Is there much content? I was a big fan of GW2 until end game (like everyone else) and pretty much immediately quit at max. Is there enough content to keep things interesting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah come on now. The combat is better, no doubt. But that's about it. It's a great looking game, with an excellent combat system, that is majorly let down by it's bland questing system. Plus, as good as it looks, i'd have to turn the game off as soon as anyone walks into the room. If someone saw the Elin characters running around in that armour...there'd be some questiongs asked :o

And i know you said imo, but still :P

It has way better endgame from wehat i hear, then again that wouldnt be hard , thats all that matters to me with an MMO tbh :)

@ Big Knox , endgame is a lot more and better than GW2 from what i hear [have not maxed a char myself so cant comment] but still someway short of WOW and Rift in terms of endgame content pve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Always wanted to give Tera a try, now theres no excuses :D

Just hope my graphics card is up to it, I didnt have to get a mortgage to afford it so I doubt its powerful enough :(

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Always wanted to give Tera a try, now theres no excuses :D

Just hope my graphics card is up to it, I didnt have to get a mortgage to afford it so I doubt its powerful enough :(

Its an amazing engine both in looks and performance.
    I had it on my high spec rig and my sons 5 year old rig and it performed great.

In my extremely tired state friday night I managed to download the US client by mistake. I wouldn't mind but the download speeds aren't great and it took like 4 hours even on 50meg and then had to go and download the EU client last night. :o

Won't get to play now until tomorrow evening but looking forward to it. The few minutes I managed to run around on US felt good and I think I'll really enjoy the combat. I'm slightly worried about the grind, I'm going to take the chance on Lancer but it will prob make the grind even worse with the terrible DPS output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Big Knox wrote: »
    In my extremely tired state friday night I managed to download the US client by mistake. I wouldn't mind but the download speeds aren't great and it took like 4 hours even on 50meg and then had to go and download the EU client last night. :o

Won't get to play now until tomorrow evening but looking forward to it. The few minutes I managed to run around on US felt good and I think I'll really enjoy the combat. I'm slightly worried about the grind, I'm going to take the chance on Lancer but it will prob make the grind even worse with the terrible DPS output.

I would advise you to try the US version first and see if your ping is decent.

It is a much better supported version and will most likely have a much bigger population once the F2P update hits.

I would advise you to try the US version first and see if your ping is decent.

It is a much better supported version and will most likely have a much bigger population once the F2P update hits.

Balls I've uninstalled the US client. Have some friends starting as well and they're on EU so will have to stick with it. Hopefully going F2P brings in new life to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

So, tera will definitely go F2P in February as per their announcement so maybe wait if you want to give it a try as you will have full access to the whole game.

I've been playing the game from July till November, basically every day. I think the game has a lot of unused potential but i doubt they'll use it. Don't get me wrong, I like the game and while I think the females could do without the heels and with a bit more clothing, I loved playing it for the time I did. I quit recently because I simply get bored. 4 Months and 3 characters on end game lvl, that is with me having a full-time job and not staying up until the wee hours of the night. The end game gets really boring after a while as all you can do is either grind money or lag yourself out in nexus (a mass raid-like event that by now is taking place several times a day) and a handful of dungeons. End game content is definitely missing.

I saw that someone mentioned the clothes of the Elin. Personally I find the Castanics way worse. Elin do NOT look like little kids...if a child of mine had child-bearing hips like this, i would be worried! Never have a look at the original Korean armours btw, they have even less cloth :)

So got to play 2 or 3 hours or so last night and got to level 10 on a Lancer. Really liking the combat so far even with a limited number of skills!

Looking forward to doing some dungeons as I think the tanking mechanic is great with real time blocking for you and your party. Will probably take me a long time to max but hopefully I'll stick with it.

Someone dev really needs to get the finger out and make an MMO with Teras combat, GW2's levelling system and PvP and WoW's endgame content!! :pac:

You'll get quite a number of skills as you level up, so don't worry about that ;).

The first instance that you'll have is around level 20 so not too far to go. Until around level 55 you#ll level fast enough as especially main quests (the red ones) will give you nice exp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Big Knox wrote: »
    Someone dev really needs to get the finger out and make an MMO with Teras combat, GW2's levelling system and PvP and WoW's endgame content!! :pac:

I think we'll start seeing most big budget MMO's leave the old school click methid behind, and move to a more dynamic version like this. While i only played for a while, it really did put most other games to shame in regards to the combat. Would love to see Blizzard go for something like this (or better) with Titan.
    Chessala wrote: »
    I saw that someone mentioned the clothes of the Elin. Personally I find the Castanics way worse. Elin do NOT look like little kids...if a child of mine had child-bearing hips like this, i would be worried! Never have a look at the original Korean armours btw, they have even less cloth :)
    I was going to google a picture of the Elin, but there's no way i'm even going to google that in work :o

Fair enough, the Castanics wear practically nothing, but the Elin are just disturbing. The fact that they wear less in the Korean version doesn't make it better either. Imagine playing it, and someone walked in and saw you running around with a semi naked 'child-like' character. Added to the sounds the characters make, and it's just creepy.

Kiith wrote: »
    I was going to google a picture of the Elin, but there's no way i'm even going to google that in work :o

Fair enough, the Castanics wear practically nothing, but the Elin are just disturbing. The fact that they wear less in the Korean version doesn't make it better either. Imagine playing it, and someone walked in and saw you running around with a semi naked 'child-like' character. Added to the sounds the characters make, and it's just creepy.

I actually played the game a bit in my breaks (Elin and castanic)at work and I had the Korean armour patch installed, somehow that makes me look bad now ^^;;; But i really don't see them as children, though i understand why people would. I'm female by the way, just on a side note!

Referring to the combat system, while it definitely is more dynamic than most other games, in the end it doesn't offer a lot of variety either as you tab the target and spam your skills. But it still is pretty good and full of potential!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Also, just read that the chart on the last page is the US version, and it's totally different here. Gameforge are running it here, and if the Aion F2P model they used is anything to go by, it'll be awful.

Actually, here's the list on the EU page. Not as good as the US one, but not too bad i guess.

FREE USER VETERAN USER TERA CLUB
    Character Slots 2 8
    Dungeon Entries 100% 100% 200%
    Dungeon Bonus 100% 100% 200%
    Daily Quests 10 10 20
    Special Consumables No No Yes
    Daily Teleport Items No No Yes
    Daily Boost Items No No Yes
    Special Mount No No Yes
    Bank Tabs 1 4
    Gold Cap per Mail 10 Gold unlimited unlimited
    Trade Broker Transactions 10 30 50
    Trade Broker Tax Discount 0% 0% 5%
    Special in-game Title No Yes Yes

If I remember right it#s pretty similar to the US model. i always played on the US servers since I loath Frogster.

Everything for the US version including all models can be checked out here: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Answers-to-TERA-going-free-in-February

So its going F2P on 5/2 :)
    I thought id install from my discs and allow to update ,however the launcher is stuck on applying patch @ 0% and doesnt budge,any ideas?

http://tera-europe.com/en/home/news/article/f2p-launch-date-tuesday-5th-of-february-2013.html

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

i had the same problem - I fixed it by deleting some files from the installation folder then re-launching the patcher - I think it was "version" and "manifests" or something like that

Seems to be sorted, i deleted the file as mentioned here and its updating now.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=133715&p=2283035&viewfull=1#post2283035

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Playing this now, since you can go with a free trial now and it will keep the character when Feb 5th comes

http://tera.enmasse.com/download

Like it lot more than i did with Guild Wars 2 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Only played Tera on initial release. Any major changes? Is it worth giving another go on F2P? (I'll pay if I find it good)

I can't remember anything exactly bad about the game. Combat took a bit of getting used to if I remember right... but that's cause I'm used to every other mmo game out there with the same standard system...

Two quick questions.... End game and PVP (specifically open world pvp and not something similar to wow bgs)... How are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

free 2 play from today! what servers yous all thinking on joining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Willow01

I dont suppose theres any kind of Irish guild set up is there?

if there was its long gone id say, think we were all on a server last year thats been merged since. I just joined fraya there anyway.

My old toons are on Fraya (EN),played some lastnight and remembered how great the combat is.

I can only say one thing. Avoid Fraya.

I only downloaded the game to try again today. Set to connect to Fraya to create my first character. Wait time approx 45min. That was at 5.45pm.... I left the house to take care of a few things and just got back. It'w now at 3 min for the last 15 min :D

I think I'll try out another server. Sucks going onto low pop servers though..

Noxin wrote: »
    I can only say one thing. Avoid Fraya.

I only downloaded the game to try again today. Set to connect to Fraya to create my first character. Wait time approx 45min. That was at 5.45pm.... I left the house to take care of a few things and just got back. It'w now at 3 min for the last 15 min :D

I think I'll try out another server. Sucks going onto low pop servers though..

are you a veteran player? as in already bought the game last year? the longest ive had to wait so far was probably three minutes. I joined myself there around 6 earlier and only had a minute wait? im not sure but i think veterans get some sort of priority queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Am going to give Tera a try now that it's F2P. Any reason why the forums have so many more posts in the PvP section than PvE? Is it just that a lot of PvE talk gets handled in the 'General Discussion' section, or is there a strong case for choosing a PvP server in this game? [Link]

IgsTer wrote: »
    are you a veteran player? as in already bought the game last year? the longest ive had to wait so far was probably three minutes. I joined myself there around 6 earlier and only had a minute wait? im not sure but i think veterans get some sort of priority queue.

Nope. I had beta but never bought the game.

That being said... I created my character and played for a while. Got disconnected at one point from a problem on my own end but managed to log straight back in... Maybe the huge queue was for setting up new characters to deter you away from it?
    Dunno. Will see again later today I guess :)

Forgot how awesome the combat is in this.

Posts on the EU forum are turning me off, even trying, the game (at least on EU servers).
    Price for a character slot on EU? -18,65€ if you buy 'middle' (400 TT) pack. 11,95€ if you buy the biggest one (2,5k TT for 99€).
    Price for a character slot on NA servers? -slightly less then 5$ (go check the difference between 18,65€ and 5$...)

Price for 2(!) strongbox keys on EU? ~5€.
    Price for 100(!!) strongbox keys on NA? 10$. Yup. We pay 3/4 of their 100 keys price for... 2 keys.

Hopefully the NA servers don't have to high a ping.

I bought the game on release, played for a month or two, back now and dont need to spend a cent and still have all my characters.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    I bought the game on release, played for a month or two, back now and dont need to spend a cent and still have all my characters.

Was hoping to pick up a cheap copy of the game to get 'founder' status and benefits. [Link]

Starting with 2 characters would be fine if I found the cost of additional slots reasonable. Paying €18,65 per additional slot is a bit much.

Advertisement