Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No threads about Tera? Interesting...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Ah well, I won't be buying. Call me cynical but I just find the leveling and grinding too tedious after the storylines, Flashpoints and dialogue The Old Republic had.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cina wrote: »
    Ah well, I won't be buying. Call me cynical but I just find the leveling and grinding too tedious after the storylines, Flashpoints and dialogue The Old Republic had.

Grinding?
    What you got to max lvl 15 ie max level with buddy pass and think that was a grind?
    If you think thats grinding then mmos are not for you.
    Im lvl 28 and its nowhere near a grind so far, furthermore if i want a story driven game i wouldnt be paying a sub for it.
    swtor is the worst mmo ive played, thats just my opinion btw :)

@ IgsTer im playing a priest atm,its surprising good for leveling and a great class to play if you like healing plus its much sought after for dungeons.
    I havent played either of the sorc or berzerker.
    I also have a lvl 16 Lancer but its very slow to level compared to even the priest.
    Id imagine the sorc or zerker would be fast to level, i had a lvl 10 slayer and it was very fast to level.
    Im on Velik pve server, one or two others from here there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Well I like TOR (I can see why people wouldn't), I've gotten 2 characters to 50 now and because of the stories throughout it never felt like a grind, not like other MMO's, Tera definitely feels like a grind for me. Yeah I only got to 14, but I didn't particularly like it I guess so I don't really want to spend 50 quid on it on the off chance that I do end up enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Yeah ive of narrowed it down to a sorc or a priest now. I do like healing and added bonus of being sought after is nice too. Was worried about being too slow at leveling and not doing enough damage but it seems that isnt a problem then.

I might just create two chars and play through a couple of levels to see what i want as my main. May as well roll on velik as well so.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

IgsTer wrote: »
    Yeah ive of narrowed it down to a sorc or a priest now. I do like healing and added bonus of being sought after is nice too. Was worried about being too slow at leveling and not doing enough damage but it seems that isnt a problem then.

I might just create two chars and play through a couple of levels to see what i want as my main. May as well roll on velik as well so.

Give mystic a go aswell if you aint already, its a main healer aswell just a little trickier sometimes due to its big heals being all targeted no aoe spells and such, but its really fun to play. Also if u ever play lotro its alot like loremaster, has pets and gives alot of mana in various ways to the group.

When you do pick what your gona lvl, wack ur char names here, theres a few of us on velik now. I think overall we all over the gaff, theres like 2 on essenia 4 on velik 1 on samuel I think, due to everyone getting game rolling toons then realising its a damn good game and time to post on boards about it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 gobSIDES

I played the BETA raelly really enjoyed the new action elements they added to the combat system. A lot of MMO games are resting exclusively on the power bar systems and lack any good PVP options like TOR. But Tera was a good step forward.

Having played Tera i seriously doubt ill ever go back to something like wow,rift,aoc,lotro,war,swtor.
    Guild Wars 2 should be exception purely based on dynamic events and WvWvW , i doubt i could play your generic questing based mmo with traditional action bar combat again after experiencing Teras combat.
    Granted the questing in tera is your typical go ill X this and Y but the comabt is the crucual factor imo.

Give mystic a go aswell if you aint already, its a main healer aswell just a little trickier sometimes due to its big heals being all targeted no aoe spells and such, but its really fun to play. Also if u ever play lotro its alot like loremaster, has pets and gives alot of mana in various ways to the group.

When you do pick what your gona lvl, wack ur char names here, theres a few of us on velik now. I think overall we all over the gaff, theres like 2 on essenia 4 on velik 1 on samuel I think, due to everyone getting game rolling toons then realising its a damn good game and time to post on boards about it :P

Yeah was looking into choosing a mystic too but after reading up on the two healing classes decided id like the preists playstyle more if I were to roll a healer.

Have made two characters now on velik.

"Igs" - Priest
    "Igsion" - Sorceror

Not sure which one im going to roll with as my main yet going to get a few more levels on each of them before i decide but so far really enjoying the game.

IgsTer wrote: »
    Yeah was looking into choosing a mystic too but after reading up on the two healing classes decided id like the preists playstyle more if I were to roll a healer.

Have made two characters now on velik.

"Igs" - Priest
    "Igsion" - Sorceror

Not sure which one im going to roll with as my main yet going to get a few more levels on each of them before i decide but so far really enjoying the game.

Id suggest lvl 20 on each before you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Too busy at work and the like to play this for the last week, still level 11 :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

still level,the side quests are so boring

ye you really need to get to about 24ish to know what the class will be like till 60. The grp instances and BAMs are 20ish and you will play alot diff in them.

Yeah I think my sorc is lvl 15 or so now and really enjoying it only got my priest to lvl 7 or so and didnt find it as fun to play but think that was mainly due to not really being able to heal anyone playing solo at this low level. Might try get them both to lvl 20ish and do the first real instance and decide then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Still haven't gotten my order, It has been 8 days and now after contacting Gamestop it has been declared missing.

So I am after waiting 8 days for nothing:(

Still haven't gotten my order, It has been 8 days and now after contacting Gamestop it has been declared missing.

Ah mate thats a joke, is there any way you can cancel and pick it up in a bricks and mortar store?

Dcully wrote: »
    Ah mate thats a joke, is there any way you can cancel and pick it up in a bricks and mortar store?

Well I have asked them to cancel it, Will wait and see how that goes.

Only reason I bought it from Gamestop was they usually deliver quicker than the alternatives... :(

Well I have asked them to cancel it, Will wait and see how that goes.

Only reason I bought it from Gamestop was they usually deliver quicker than the alternatives... :(

Ive learned over the years, if there is a game i want to play on release i either but it digitally or bricks and mortar, i find online stores be fine at time others dodgy, i just dont trust them 100% to have my game on time.

Thats horrid mate, amazon.co.uk are selling this game for €26 at the moment, so add on couple euro for delivery, and give a week for delivery. Great deal tbh

Thats horrid mate, amazon.co.uk are selling this game for €26 at the moment, so add on couple euro for delivery, and give a week for delivery. Great deal tbh

Hopefully they keep that price for a day or so until I can confirm the refund:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Starting to encounter some grief players now on a PvP server. Stupidly forgot that I could switch channels to get away from them so wasted about an hour getting chased around by chars 5 lvls higher than me!

• Advertisement

Lvl 28 now as a warrior on a PvP server and I must say this game is awesome so far. Lots of variety in how people can play a character just in terms of how they set up combo skills and glyphs. Mobs are fantastic and great fun to fight and when you get a similar level pvp fight they can last ages and are great fun. Cant believe this game nearly went under the radar for me. Best fun Ive had in an mmo since I can remember. Lets hope it continues in this vein.

Also the world is just awesome in terms of size, scope and variety.

Gamespy review up.
    http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tera-the-exiled-realm-of-arborea/1224574p1.html

I tend to agree with this review especially this paragraph.

But by the time I'd hit the mid 30s, I found it harder and harder to log in despite my initial passion for the combat. At that point, I'd more or less acquired every important ability I'd acquire on the way to the level cap of 60, and the repetition of the quests and grouping for more BAMs grew more tedious than I would have imagined. Worse yet, I'd already learned all the best tactics for each situation, and the resulting repetition robbed even the excellent combat of some of its appeal. Had I written my review before that time, I think I would have said that I was in love with TERA. Today, I still enjoy logging in, but it's clear that its hold on me is slipping fast.

For me the combat is just fantastic and the best ive ever played in an mmo.
    The game looks great,the sheer scale of the world,cities etc is mind boggling but like the above paragraph im finding it harder and harder to log in.
    Im lvl 34 and the grind has well and truely kicked in, when i say grind it feels like a grind as opposed to a massive amount of xp needed per level in the traditional sense of a grind..
    The quests at 34 are almost identical to the quests at lvl 5, kill x wild boars,pick y amount of flowers and so on.
    Why makes such a fantastic looking game with a huge and interesting world and have such fantastic combat if your just gonna churn out the same old quests time after time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I read that earlier, and am now debating whether or not to get it on Friday. As much as i did enjoy the combat, and looked forward to fighting the BAM's, i'm just not sure i can handle any sort of grind these days.

Dcully wrote: »
    Gamespy review up.
    http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tera-the-exiled-realm-of-arborea/1224574p1.html

I tend to agree with this review especially this paragraph.

But by the time I'd hit the mid 30s, I found it harder and harder to log in despite my initial passion for the combat. At that point, I'd more or less acquired every important ability I'd acquire on the way to the level cap of 60, and the repetition of the quests and grouping for more BAMs grew more tedious than I would have imagined. Worse yet, I'd already learned all the best tactics for each situation, and the resulting repetition robbed even the excellent combat of some of its appeal. Had I written my review before that time, I think I would have said that I was in love with TERA. Today, I still enjoy logging in, but it's clear that its hold on me is slipping fast.

For me the combat is just fantastic and the best ive ever played in an mmo.
    The game looks great,the sheer scale of the world,cities etc is mind boggling but like the above paragraph im finding it harder and harder to log in.
    Im lvl 34 and the grind has well and truely kicked in, when i say grind it feels like a grind as opposed to a massive amount of xp needed per level in the traditional sense of a grind..
    The quests at 34 are almost identical to the quests at lvl 5, kill x wild boars,pick y amount of flowers and so on.
    Why makes such a fantastic looking game with a huge and interesting world and have such fantastic combat if your just gonna churn out the same old quests time after time?

It depends on your playstyle and preference I think. I'm not and never have been PvE focused. Quests have always been just a means to and end and even on SWTOR I Just skipped through them. I try not to quest or grind for 2 many hours in a week or a day. Do what I need to do.. Get a few levels and then find some PvP either through the outlaw capability or through guild wars.

I can understand if you are quest and PvE focused then it might get a little boring but I got bored in any mmo from PvE no matter the quality of the quests.

mystic is 45 now aint really found the grind yet, i hear 54-58 is very sluggish. But for me its all about the bam quests and instances, i do each instance about 5/6 times gives massive xp and good craic. And mystic is prob the slowest class in game for solo lvling but still enjoying it, its like every new mmo though once the new car smell wears off you find out how deep and addicting the game is, for some they might just stop others keep going like meself.
    Also lvling a lancer with a mate on his beserker, he only plays couple hours a day due to rl stuff but its really fun duo lvling and we tend to duo every bam is really fun, its not fast lvling due to lack of time but like 35 now after only a few days just cause so bloody fast killing mobs :P

I find lvling with him on lancer, then going afk for a while coming back doing mystic for a bit at my own pace and throwing in some instances inbetween is really keeping the game fun and exciting all the time :)

I still dont know how long ill stick around for endgame, only time will tells.

Also i think diablo3 sitting there waiting for you is prob putting you off logging in aswell dcully :P

Well i do admit Diablo 3 is just so good and tempting when i sit down to game.
    I got my tank to 20 but its so slow to solo with,then again theres instant dungeon pops.
    Maybe a break from my usual healer/tank routine might help.
    Im thinking i might roll a sorcerer and lvl to 20 or so to see what i think.

Aye if the game is waining for you then you cant force yourself to like it :(

sorcerer is good but very basic, prob one of the easier classes to play as its literally just a glass cannon, try slayer or zerk if you aint maybe?

I bought diablo3 yesterday myself, got a witchyoke to like lvl 15, but not sure if theres something wrong with me but i just cant put tera down lol, id much rather play it. Feels like ur characters are better for the work u put into em as they can enjoy a full mmo world where as in diablo its just same area rinse and repeat, but it is a fun game I can see why there is so much hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

a week or so left on free month sub level 15 might give it another try

• Advertisement

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    a week or so left on free month sub level 15 might give it another try

aye u really need to get to about lvl 25 and do the bam quests and the instnace like ive said 10 times, I know it sounds dikish but you havnt actually tried or played the game till u get to mid 20s, tera does a dreadfull job at impressing itself on you.

Advertisement