Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Perhaps not. He did make a valid contribution though. He does a certain amount of credit for this.

Not in my eyes. He opposed Sunningdale/Anglo-Irish Agreement/GFA, and when the DUP were left out in the cold, he jumped on the bandwagon of those who did the real work, to glorify himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

They found a heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

in all honesty, i wish nothing for him except death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    If he had his way there would have been no GFA.

If he had his way Catholics would still be being burned out of their houses. A despicable man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

People seem to think he stood for what he believed in, fair play to him he did. He had a strong view on his beliefs etc but we should not forget there is having a strong view and believing in something 100 % and having an actual hatred for something in which he did, big difference. For the majority of his career he wasn't a politician more so a trouble maker and loud mouth. All politics and crap aside best to him and his family who I'm sure are upset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Northern nationalist I did have very strong feelings about him in the past, growing up in the 80s and 90s. Now I feel more, 'meh' about him.

I think he was a world champion bigot once* and then something changed. Don't know if he realised that he would be forever remembered as such and decided to change for the better so that he would be remembered as a great man in NI history, especially if peace caught on. Or maybe he just got old and mellowed?

* I did hear in the past that he did a lot of good work for his constituents over the years, irrespective of their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 memecece

I understand that the man is old and pretty much on his death bed but you cannot forgive him for the death and destruction he brought about. Ian Paisley may not have pulled a trigger in the 40 years of bloodshed but he is responsible for every death and is seeped not only in Nationalist blood but Unionist too. Yes there was trouble before Paisley but from what the history books tell us the IRA had disbanded and in August 1969 Paisley started his reign of terror with Catholics being burned out of their homes on the Falls road due to Paisleys fear mongering. Has no one ever heard the saying "Out of the ashes of '69 arose the Provos"?

His bigotry and hatred killed innocent men and women. He may have mellowed in recent years but his actions in the last few years cannot and shouldn't dismish his wrong doings. I do not wish him any harm but will I be saddened by his death? or remember him for the good he has done? I can't say that I will because the wrong he did vastly outweighs the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

narddog wrote: »
    They found a heart?

I'm amazed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i just wonder will all the hand wringing that's going on over the deaths and mayhem that Paisley's attitude caused, be revisited when an actual terrorist like McGuinness, or Adams are staring at deaths bony hand and scythe?

Or will it be a case of looking through shamrock tinted lenses....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gatecrash wrote: »
    i just wonder will all the hand wringing that's going on over the deaths and mayhem that Paisley's attitude caused, be revisited when an actual terrorist like McGuinness, or Adams are staring at deaths bony hand and scythe?

Or will it be a case of looking through shamrock tinted lenses....

You realise that paisley was involved in founding 3 "terrorist" groups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

actual terrorist

Just because he used the blood of other men to fulfill his agenda doesn't mean he's not a terrorist.

He intentionally inspired hate in a place where that had very real consequences and never attempted to reform when others, on both sides of the conflict, had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Amazing how some people seem to think RIP (Rev Ian Paisley) was involved in the Peace Process, in some way? The man opposed every initiative for peace over the past 40 years and only came in from the cold when an agreement was signed sealed and delivered.

Trimble and Hume did most of the running for Peace, they were soon cast aside as the voters from both sides went to their extremes for solace/protection.

Did i say his attitudes DIDN'T cause deaths and Mayhem?

Read my post properly, i freely acknowledge that his actions and deeds and words and speeches and attitudes have caused mayhem.

I suppose it's a bit of an unanswerable question until Messrs Adams and McGuinness are at deaths door.

Will they be regarded as among the good and the great for turning their backs on violence, or will they be regarded with much the same level as Paisley is being regarded here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Read my post properly, i freely acknowledge that his actions and deeds and words and speeches and attitudes have caused mayhem.

My bold. As Paisley was involved with 3 such organisations, your 'acknowledgement' fell a bit short. There is also a difference between those seeking political goals, and a man who discriminated against a minority because he 'rejects the Pope as the Antichrist'.

Doubtless Gerry and Marty will receive short shrift from the usual suspects.

No, you implied he wasn't an actual terrorist.

He may never have planted a bomb but he inspired others to. That's far more dangerous and definitely deserving of the title "Terrorist".

Nodin wrote: »
    My bold. As Paisley was involved with 3 such organisations, your 'acknowledgement' fell a bit short. There is also a difference between those seeking political goals, and a man who discriminated against a minority because he 'rejects the Pope as the Antichrist'.

Doubtless Gerry and Marty will receive short shrift from the usual suspects.

I have to admit that i wouldn't have much time for any of the 3 of them to be honest.

Even though i would have the teensiest bit more time for McGuinness. At least he HAS acknowledged his past.
    Adams, i have no time at all for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Obviously a lot of young people here who don't know any other Paisley the that of his latter years. Paisley did more than any other man to start the troubles. His sheer bigotry (catholics/nationalists are 'spawns of satan') illustrated by his words (encouraging pogroms and violence) and actions (for example leading a crowd into the falls road to tear down a tricolor, that was a young Gerry Adams' political awakining).

Before Paisley catholics would regularily drink in bars on the shankhill. Even work in those pubs. Paisley brought the sectarian,anti catholic feeling in the state front and centre.

Paisley through his fearmongering did more than anyone else to breed bigotry and hate and build the foundations for the troubles. He was preaching his evil when the other protaganists in the troubles were in nappies.

People bash the RCC for being backward, Paisley is worse, or have we all forgotton his 'save Ulster from sodomy' campaign?

He is a hate figure, a hateful figure. He mellowed in recent years for two reasons. Number one, the DUP and everyone else were prepared to move on without him, he was holding everything back, dragging his feet. Number two, if he didnt become a 'peacemaker' he had zero chance of getting a statue like his hero Carson otherwise.

Paisley was a powerful, charasmatic man with huge influence. He used his powers for bad, not good, hate, not peace.

Am I glad he is dying? Not really, he has done so much damage already his death is like closing the stable door 60 years after the horse bolted. I wish he died 60 years ago and we were spared from his bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seachmall wrote: »
    No, you implied he wasn't an actual terrorist.

He may never have planted a bomb but he inspired others to. That's far more dangerous and definitely deserving of the title "Terrorist".

Adams & McGuinness were far closer to being Terrorists than big Ian ever was, come to think of it Adams & McGuinness were in the PIRA, which is/was a prescribed Terrorist outfit, ergo "Adams & McGuinness were real Terrorists" if they were in the Provo's. Paisley on the other hand is/was a big mouthed Free Presbyterian ejit, who should have made his points, but without resorting to shouting all the bloody time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I suppose it's a bit of an unanswerable question until Messrs Adams and McGuinness are at deaths door.

Will they be regarded as among the good and the great for turning their backs on violence, or will they be regarded with much the same level as Paisley is being regarded here?
    In the Republic? Most likely seen in a negative light. The people in the Republic are more partitionist than Unionists. We all seen that in the Irish presidential election.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Paisley on the other hand is/was a big mouthed Free Presbyterian ejit, who should have made his points, but without resorting to shouting all the bloody time.

He preached hatred and knowingly inspired murders.

He wasn't some fool who occasionally let his mouth get the run of him, his words directly motivated people to murder others. He had influence over some of the most desperate people in the most dangerous areas in Europe and he used that power to spread his bigoted agenda.

A terrorist he was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

ULSTER SAYS NO !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

the_djoker wrote: »
    ULSTER SAYS NO !!!

Surely this should be the six counties says no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A terrorist he was.

He most certainly was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He was worse than the people he riled up and who then went out and targeted innocent Catholics; at least they were taking a chance of ending up in jail or being killed themselves.

A coward, a bigot, an inciter of hatred and an all round scourge of the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

He was in my opinion.

We know that but some people need to convince themselves mate. Comparing Ian Paisley to bomb making experts is not a good comparison.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    We know that but some people need to convince themselves mate. Comparing Ian Paisley to bomb making experts is not a good comparison.

He may never have gotten his hands dirty but they're certainly not clean.

He may have been too cowardice to act on his convictions but he knew there were plenty of men who would do it for him.

He may never have gotten his hands dirty but they're certainly not clean.

He may have been too cowardice to act on his convictions but he knew there were plenty of men who would do it for him.
    Ian Paisley had no say over the UVF or any operations. Everyone made decisions by themselves and they have to stick by them.

Ian Paisley had no say over the UVF or any operations.

I never suggested otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ian Paisley had no say over the UVF or any operations. Everyone made decisions by themselves and they have to stick by them.

But he was happy enough to egg them on, telling them they were fighting a war against subhumans.

Advertisement