Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    He had a considerable following. He was spewing his racist bile from the mid 50's on, you can still hear it at flashpoints all over the North, because he saw to it that it was endemic in the Unionist/Loyalist mindset. Him, nobody else spouted that nonsense on a public platform so effectively and for so long. He instilled fear and incited hate. Get real and stop trying to rewrite history to sanctify this bigot.
    Now it is considerable. Amazing how the choice of words can change so quickly. And yes, we know you don't like him. You seem to have a go at Ian Paisley because you claim he was "bigot" and people voted for him. I think in a democratic society people are entitled to vote for who they want.

You don't seem to care about Martin Mcguinness or Gerry Adams having a rather large vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think in a democratic society people are entitled to vote for who they want.

They have to take responsibility though....not run away when they are shown to be racists and bigots. There where plenty of Unionist politicians who didn't indulge in racism and bigotry....people always had a choice but they voted for the racist bigot. They need to fess up to that and heal the divisions properly, starting with Paisley....but no, that is only expected of one side.
    You don't seem to care about Martin Mcguinness or Gerry Adams having a rather large vote.

I never heard a racist word out of either of them. You are as usual mistaking political ideals with religious racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Originally Posted by Stinicker
    I think some of the stuff spouted off here about Paisley are downright disgusting and wrong. Here you have an old man in Hospital and very ill, I may not agree with some of his politics but I bear no ill will against him and wish him well. He invited Sinn Fein in out of the cold albeit with lots of encouragement and pressure from outsiders, he may have been a hardlining bible thumper once upon a time however I do believe like him or not that he made a positive contribution towards peace specifically in his last years in politics.

He met Ahern back a few years ago and ultimately at that meeting there was one evil traitorous corrupt coward and one man who stood up for what he beleived and what he believed was right. I never remember Paisley bankrupting NI and he was a good man to his community, the same cannot be said about Ahern.

If he does pass away I will remember him as ultimately an old timer but a man who came in from the cold and ultimately as a man who helped make peace after many years of division.
    yourpics wrote: »
    I am a staunch Republican, however this post sums up my thoughts regarding Ian Paisley.

How can you be a staunch Republican and agree with that rubbish. Ian Paisley didn't invite Sinn Fein in from anywhere. It wasn't his right. Its that croppy lie down bull**** that made him an enemy of so many catholics/nationalists through Ireland.
    Sinn Fein, the SDLP and every other nationalist had a right to be 'in'. They didn't need an invitation from a supposed reformed bigot.

woodoo wrote: »

When Paisley dies it will all come out then.

There was some very interesting stuff about Mr Paisley doing the rounds in the early 80's, it all got suppressed somehow, but I know a few journalist mates from those days who are chomping at the bit to reveal all. I think a few hats might get eaten! :)

They have to take responsibility though....not run away when they are shown to be racists and bigots. There where plenty of Unionist politicians who didn't indulge in racism and bigotry....people always had a choice but they voted for the racist bigot. They need to fess up to that and heal the divisions properly, starting with Paisley....but no, that is only expected of one side.

I never heard a racist word out of either of them. You are as usual mistaking political ideals with religious racism.
    Religion is a race now? You are losing the argument here. Ian Paisley was a person of his time. You must think Ulster has had a peaceful history or something with the way you expect people back then to have liberal views. That wasn't the case.

3 people went about doing things differently. Martin and Gerry carried the gun and Ian used his mouth. Both stirred tensions and both caused problems. But you will probably forget about that.

• Advertisement

"I say to the Dublin government, Mr Faulkner says it's "hands across the border to Dublin". I say, if they don't behave themselves in the South, it will be shots across the border!" Ian Paisley

He NEVER said sorry for any of the bigoted, sectarian drivel that he spewed for years.
    Until he says sorry he will remain a vile human being that spread misery and fear to many. Age will not change that.

Religion is a race now? You are losing the argument here. Ian Paisley was a person of his time. You must think Ulster has had a peaceful history or something with the way you expect people back then to have liberal views. That wasn't the case.

3 people went about doing things differently. Martin and Gerry carried the gun and Ian used his mouth. Both stirred tensions and both caused problems. But you will probably forget about that.

He was a sectarian bigot of his time.

"I will kill all who get in my way", which was shouted out at certain reporters following a loyalist rally in 1968. Ian Paisley

"Ulster Resistance is not for the faint or half hearted and we will use all means which are deemed necessary to defeat the (Anglo-Irish) Agreement." (Ulster Resistance rally, Belfast, November 1986) Ian Paisley

Ian Paisley was a person of his time.

What TIME and what cause required somebody to incite hate for people who practiced a particular faith?
    Paisley dressed his suprematist ideals in religious hookum, no other place could have produced him, i.e. A planted province setup to ensure the continued dominance of one people at the expense of the indigineous people, aided and abetted by Westminister.
    Education, denied for decades, enlightened the nationalist community and the whole sick and sad edifice came tumbling down, it was inevitable. Instead of holding their hands up and accepting change, Paisley and his ilk, saw to it that there would be blood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Dibs on the shirt off his back. Paisley one?

What TIME and what cause required somebody to incite hate for people who practiced a particular faith?
    Paisley dressed his suprematist ideals in religious hookum, no other place could have produced him, i.e. A planted province setup to ensure the continued dominance of one people at the expense of the indigineous people, aided and abetted by Westminister.
    Education, denied for decades, enlightened the nationalist community and the whole sick and sad edifice came tumbling down, it was inevitable. Instead of holding their hands up and accepting change, Paisley and his ilk, saw to it that there would be blood.
    And yet we have had people on here saying he has done a lot for people of the Catholic faith in his constituency. Like some one posted, the working with a priest on some Island off Donegal.

If anything, it sounds like to me Ian Paisley was just playing to the masses to get into the political game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I don't think this can be said enough times...

Ian Paisley had absolutely nothing to do with achieving peace in Northern Ireland.

And yet we have had people on here saying he has done a lot for people of the Catholic faith in his constituency. Like some one posted, the working with a priest on some Island off Donegal.

If anything, it sounds like to me Ian Paisley was just playing to the masses to get into the political game.

The more I hear those stories the more I see him as a calculating, devious, dangerous and heartless man. Freud would have a field day with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Still, I don't wish him dead from this. however if he came to collect a dominos pizza in desert fatigues I wold staple it to his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

LordSutch wrote: »
    Adams & McGuinness were far closer to being Terrorists than big Ian ever was, come to think of it Adams & McGuinness were in the PIRA, which is/was a prescribed Terrorist outfit, ergo "Adams & McGuinness were real Terrorists" if they were in the Provo's. Paisley on the other hand is/was a big mouthed Free Presbyterian ejit, who should have made his points, but without resorting to shouting all the bloody time.

correct. Say what ye want about Paisley, but he was proved right in the end on some many things.

gigino wrote: »
    correct. Say what ye want about Paisley, but he was proved right in the end on some many things.

So Ian's God runs a league system then? That's why he was able to break every rule and tenet of christianity!!
    'You where bad Ian but those two hoors where badder, come on in'.

Will you read what you type before posting, pleeeeeeeese?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Just curious as to what constitutes "a good Ulsterman", do you have a top ten of what makes him such?

@KeithAFC, or anyone who cares to give their top ten.

Still waiting on an answer to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

@KeithAFC, or anyone who cares to give their top ten.

Still waiting on an answer to this.

Paisley was the No. 1 recruiting officer for the IRA for many a long year during "The Troubles."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

policarp wrote: »
    Paisley was the No. 1 recruiting officer for the IRA for many a long year during "The Troubles."
    and thats why he wasnt killed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Look it's tough at the end for any man woman or BEASTHe's part of Irish history,, he has always given the impression that he hates every good Irish Catholic, I hope he has a clear conscience... But the struggle continues.

That must be why they sent a IRA hitman to a place he was staying to kill him, only for him to be in his church and his friend getting shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

That must be why they sent a IRA hitman to a place he was staying to kill him, only for him to be in his church and his friend getting shot.
    sorry buddy, I dont reply to trolls.

sorry buddy, I dont reply to trolls.
    Ok. Just post the truth next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Was with a patient with dementia today and told her about Paisley in hospital!

She cursed his name and said some nasty things about him and then I asked her what she thought of Enda Kenny....she hadn't a notion who he was!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gigino wrote: »

This has already been shown to be wrong, as has your statement on the matter.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76951977&postcount=175

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76952009&postcount=176

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I don't think this can be said enough times...

Ian Paisley had absolutely nothing to do with achieving peace in Northern Ireland.

That's not true. In recent years, he's done a lot.

It's just what he did earlier, particularly from the 60's to 80's that caused so many of the problems that came later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Still, I don't wish him dead from this. however if he came to collect a dominos pizza in desert fatigues I wold staple it to his head

That's not even remotely funny. You should be ashamed of yourself

Advertisement