Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Get well soon Lord Bannside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah Big Ian get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He did a lot for the peace process and I wish him the best of health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

later10 wrote: »

I would like to say fcuk him, as he was an awful gobshiite in his time.

But in hindsight, big Ian mellowed dramatically in the last decade or so, and I'll genuinely mourn his passing when it happens.

Never thought I'd see the day when he shared govt with Sinn Fein.
    At least hell be remembered for the right reasons now, even if it was only in the last decade that he embraced the peace treaty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

why did he mellow so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

His heart couldn't take his angry self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Aha! So thats who started this thread!

Poxy Hospital waiting time to be treated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ghandee wrote: »
    I would like to say fcuk him, as he was an awful gobshiite in his time.

But in hindsight, big Ian mellowed dramatically in the last decade or so, and I'll genuinely mourn his passing when it happens.

Never thought I'd see the day when he shared govt with Sinn Fein.
    At least hell be remembered for the right reasons now, even if it was only in the last decade that he embraced the peace treaty.
    He knew he had to cooperate to be positively remembered at his time of life. His son is another bollocks just like he was.
    At least he got some of his **** together in the end, but I don't think I'll be mourning the death of that man. The north would probably have been better without him overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Well there's a get well soon from me might not agree with him sometimes but from what I have heard he is a gent outside of politics and his wife is a lovely woman too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i dont agree with his politics or his view on religion , and i would fight his view on the six county's but .......

he is a 85 year old man who is ill - and with any person who is ill i wish him well

funny thing is a thread here a few months ago on thatcher was hate filled and scathing about her ......

and i have a feeling this thread will not be the same

we are a funny lot really

( and keithafc this is what forgive and forget is all about - you should try it sometime , its liberating )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP Get well soon Ian.

Alas Belfast hospitals just possible show their southern counter parts a thing or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

gcgirl wrote: »

Alas Belfast hospitals just possible show their southern counter parts a thing or 2

Especially when it comes to knee surgury aparantly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Ian Paisley has suffered a suspected heart attack.The IRA has claimed responsibility, Sinn Fein have condemned all heart attacks.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Especially when it comes to knee surgury aparantly!
    Apparently if your a cf patient you've a longer life span up north compare to down here and then there's the oncology doctors :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

...PIRA General Army Council said to be "very concerned" over health of "Outstanding" Human Resources Manager....
    ;)

He knew he had to cooperate to be positively remembered at his time of life. His son is another bollocks just like he was.
    At least he got some of his **** together in the end, but I don't think I'll be mourning the death of that man. The north would probably have been better without him overall.

Lol, a lot of that was a show tbh.

I remember the day he arrived into our college, had a tour of the place and we were required to stand with him for a picture for a local paper.....

About ten lads from my class (myself included) refused, due to our Towns/villages being staunchly republican/nationalist areas, I'll never forget when he asked me where I was from (upon hearing the reason for our refusal for the photo) he said he didn't Blame me when I told him the name of my home village ! lol

He probably succumbed to the view that 'might is right'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A man of pure evil who drove a lot of poorly educated young people into conducting pograms (i.e. ethnic cleansing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Big Ian did a lot of good work for Ireland politically as well, particularly in ensuring our offshore islands were not abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

says NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm guessing that he realised that he was going to be unable to reconcile his faith with the hatred that he felt towards other people. He can meet his maker now, safe in the knowledge that he tried to make the world a better place

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I wish I could thank this post more than once.

I don't want to get into a debate about Northern politics; we all have our opinions on it and I can already sense the hardliners circling this thread. But this man's role as a peacemaker at the end of his career does not cancel out his role as a peace breaker at the start of it.

The majority of his political life was spent pursuing shameful, inhumane dogmas that gave rise to division and violence; such a career deserves utter condemnation (no differently to those whose lives were spent fanning the flames of violence and division on the other side).

Whatever we individually think about Northern politics (and that's for another day perhaps), I think it is important that we do not airbursh this man's frankly vile political aggression and bigotry, which he pursued up until the latter days of his life, when he felt fate breathing on the back of his neck.

I don't wish ill of any man, but i certainly won't mourn Ian Paisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

He mellowed so much because he wanted power. If he refused, he would never have been first minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

johnayo wrote: »
    He mellowed so much because he wanted power. If he refused, he would never have been first minister.
    He knew history is unkind to man who agitates for division.

His ego changed his politics. I don't believe there was any ethical shift that occurred in that strange, rearward mind of Dr Paisley's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

from what I have heard he is a gent outside of politics

You were misinformed

Sports is not politics and yet he stood outside Ravenhill in Belfast ranting and raving at rugby supporters going to a match on a Sunday

Catholic Church seems completely laid back and relaxed compared to the rules he follows

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Ian Paisley has suffered a suspected heart attack.The IRA has claimed responsibility, Sinn Fein have condemned all heart attacks.

Sorry man, robbin' that for my Facistbook status. Its a classic. Only SOPA (or a Paisley heart attack) can stop me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

A malignant behemoth and a charismatic man, poisoned by tribalism and that old time religion.

His deeds should be forgiven, not forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Of course you can judge a man by his entire life, only a dogmatist wouldn't. Paisley, like Scrooge, had a reformed last quarter.

Best of luck to him.

Advertisement