Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Noreen1 wrote: »

If any of that means that I've either legitimised, much less exalted him - then I'd honestly love to know How?

I was speaking more to others on the thread there, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Has he popped his clogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I don't need to disassociate myself with any one. Like you have seen, there is plenty of people in this thread who wish Ian Paisley to recover from this.

Ah, I don't know, Keith.
    A few posts back you even managed to type in Irish!
    That's not exactly typical Unionism, now, is it? :cool:

There are plenty of people (myself included) who wish Ian Paisley to recover - not because we're fans of his, or condone any of his bigoted rants, but because most of us are not like him.
    We concentrate on trying to make life better for people. We don't live our lives burning with hatred or bigotry, much less inciting anyone else to do so! That does not mean we have any desire to associate with his bigoted beliefs, quite the opposite, in fact.

Would you disassociate yourself from any of his rants, as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    How about a sewage treatment plant in memory of the shyte that came out of his mouth?
    later10 wrote: »
    How about naming the septic tank legislation after him?

The Ian Paisley Memorial Levy?

I'm not quite sure this septic tank tax has reached its full hatred potential yet:)

Lol . :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

R.I.P

Rev Ian Paisley
    Initials are fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

whiskeyman wrote: »
    R.I.P

Rev Ian Paisley

You need to do that in the 'PIGS IN SPAAAACEEE' voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Did you?
    I'm pointing out the fact that Norn Iron is the most racist place on earth, and Paisley helped make in that way. So if he didn't write his mein kampf he's missed a trick.
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    So deny free speech? There are 1 million unionists in the north, there is absolutely no way there will be a united ireland without there being an bloodbath
    So what you're saying is that even if the majority voted to join the Republic, you'd murder women and children in the name of ...what, Ian?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'm pointing out the fact that Norn Iron is the most racist place on earth, and Paisley helped make in that way. So if he didn't write his mein kampf he's missed a trick.

So what you're saying is that even if the majority voted to join the Republic, you'd murder women and children in the name of ...what, Ian?

I take it that you are basing your "Norn Iron is the most racist place on earth" assertion from this link
    http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd-numbers/2007/07/26/the-most-racist-country-in-the-western-world/

It actually rates racism in the Western world. Is it not racist to ignore everywhere else on the planet except the west?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

So deny free speech? There are 1 million unionists in the north, there is absolutely no way there will be a united ireland without there being an bloodbath

To maintain any kind of campaign they would need support from outside.....their sectarian roots are so exposed that it is difficult to see where they would get allies that would be of any help. The British government would squash any supply lines with glee. Wake up and smell the coffee, they are so far out of whack with modern thinking it would be a joke if it weren't so serious and pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I take it that you are basing your "Norn Iron is the most racist place on earth" assertion from this link
    http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd-numbers/2007/07/26/the-most-racist-country-in-the-western-world/

It actually rates racism in the Western world. Is it not racist to ignore everywhere else on the planet except the west?
    When you can show me a report that covers the entire world, then I'll agree. Until such time, to the best of our knowledge, Northern Ireland is the most racist place in the world, and sadly I don't think thats much of a surprise to anyone.

These are shameful attitudes that do not belong in a civilised society, attitudes promoted and personified by Paisley to his own great personal profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

The former first minister and leader of the DUP, Ian Paisley, was last night refusing to enter into eleventh hour negotiations to save his life, so he was.

Dr Paisley, 85, suffered a heart attack at his Ulster home after reading that a former member of the popular music combo Boyzone had been a practising homosexual.

Despite lapsing in and out of consciousness, the firebrand preacher resisted the efforts of Northern Ireland’s multi-faith ambulance service to revive him, shouting, “No surrender to the CPR”.

Lord Bannside spent the next five hours under observation on the Protestant wing of Belfast General while attempting to search the underside of his hospital trolley with a mirror attached to a stick. The Reverend has suffered heart problems in the past, and in 2011 was fitted with a pacemaker emblazoned with the logo ‘Save Ulster From Sodomy’, though he initially refused that operation when he heard the device ticking.

Although his condition is now stable, Paisley has issued a statement denouncing his surgeons as ‘butchers’ with ‘blood on their hands’.

The former DUP leader has also resisted attempts at catheterisation, branding it a ‘Fenian plot’ and ‘papery of the worst kind’. Last night, a defiant Paisley insisted on walking to the toilet after tearing a catheter tube from the tip of his penis and holding it aloft in front of a crowd of 50 onlookers – a clear breach of the hospital’s two visitors per bed policy.

Paisley’s chief surgeon, Dr Seamus O’Donahue, who looks and sounds exactly like Jim McDonald from Coronation Street said, ‘We need to bring the reverend back to the operating table. A new heart could potentially offer him another five months of bigotry. Luckily a suitable organ has come in this morning.’

But Paisley, on learning that the donor was Catholic, insisted that any attempts to transplant it would be ‘over his dead body’.

http://newsthump.com/2012/02/07/dr-ian-paisley-refusing-to-take-part-in-the-resuscitation-process/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Stinicker wrote: »
    I think some of the stuff spouted off here about Paisley are downright disgusting and wrong. Here you have an old man in Hospital and very ill, I may not agree with some of his politics but I bear no ill will against him and wish him well. He invited Sinn Fein in out of the cold albeit with lots of encouragement and pressure from outsiders, he may have been a hardlining bible thumper once upon a time however I do believe like him or not that he made a positive contribution towards peace specifically in his last years in politics.

He met Ahern back a few years ago and ultimately at that meeting there was one evil traitorous corrupt coward and one man who stood up for what he beleived and what he believed was right. I never remember Paisley bankrupting NI and he was a good man to his community, the same cannot be said about Ahern.

If he does pass away I will remember him as ultimately an old timer but a man who came in from the cold and ultimately as a man who helped make peace after many years of division.

I am a staunch Republican, however this post sums up my thoughts regarding Ian Paisley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

yourpics wrote: »
    I am a staunch Republican, however this post sums up my thoughts regarding Ian Paisley.

A staunch republican wouldn't agree with that assessment.

He didn't bring SF in from the cold btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

I wonder if The Whore of Babylon is anxiously awaiting Ian's imminent arrival......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't like a lot of what he said and did but I take my hat off to him for compromising for peace and I'm not gonna be rejoicing at the idea of him being critically ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Overall I severely dislike the man, but in recent years he mellowed a lot as others have said. He is an old man and I hope at the very least he is comfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

A remarkable man, I hated him, but surely if there's a God. He will be in heaven because he stood by his beliefs and yet did the right thing for his people and for people for him who were not his people.

I don't believe in God or an afterlife. But if there is, he will be there with his unmistakeable smile and his handshake.

He was an Irish politician, first and last whether he wished it or not.

Of course he's not quite dead yet. Never underestimate, big Ian.

In a million years I never thought I would write the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I was glad to see his and McGuinness's chuckle bros routine. Because it made such a mockery of all he roared and bellowed about in his younger days. It made him look like a flip flopping fraud. He was basically booted out as leader of his party for those reasons.

He was/is just a bigoted man who loved attention.

OOOHHH you caught me out, I'm actually a staunch loyalist :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I agree with this. The reason for his involvement in the SF peace process was so that he would not get left behind.

I wouldn't often quote from Ruth Dudley Edwards but this contains some truth mixed in with the anti-republican garbage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-527351/Shed-tears-roaring-bigot-He-did-did-Ian-Paisley---peace.html#
    Shed no tears for this roaring bigot. He did what he did for Ian Paisley - not for peace

By RUTH DUDLEY EDWARDS
    {1}Even by the standards of politicians, there has been an unusually widespread outbreak of hypocrisy following the announcement that Ian Paisley intends to resign after a year as First Minister of Northern Ireland.

As political leaders in Britain and Ireland fell over each other in their anxiety to praise this great peacemaker, they sounded like abused wives piteously thanking their brutal husbands for having finally put away the stick.

What made it more piquant was that among the laudatory chorus were Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, two brutal former terrorists, who also saw the light rather late in the day.

But then the IRA have much in common with 81-year-old Paisley. Together, they bear much of the responsibility for turning a prosperous little province with soluble problems into a basket-case.

"Ian Paisley has made a huge contribution to political life in Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom," said Gordon Brown. Well, yes, Prime Minister. But most of that contribution was malign. Don't you remember that for more than six decades, this roaring bigot played a vital part in fomenting sectarianism in Northern Ireland?

"His has not been a career without controversy," admitted Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, in an article praising this "honourable and courteous" man for his courage and leadership.

You can say that again, Taoiseach, but it would be more honest to speak of his destructiveness.

Charismatic, eloquent, energetic and malevolent, Paisley succeeded in splitting every organisation in which he became involved. Too arrogant ever to follow, he could only lead.

Scroll down for more ...{4}

Since Paisley's Presbyterian elders did not sufficiently hate the Roman Catholic Church, he founded the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster in 1951, which refused to have anything to do with Roman Catholics for fear of religious contamination.

Paisley remained head of this fundamentalist sect until last year, denouncing the papacy all the time while behaving like a pope himself.

In politics, such a man could not be content with being a humble member of the Unionist Party - he wanted to lead. So Paisley split unionism with his Protestant Unionist Party, which in 1971 became the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) that he still leads today.

It was Paisley who became the biggest hurdle to a peaceful accommodation between Catholics and Protestants, nationalists and unionists.

He denounced as traitors those unionist politicians who wanted to react constructively to the predominantly Catholic civil rights movement of the late 1960s. It was out of this movement that the Provisional IRA was born, and who knows what bloodshed could have been avoided if only Paisley had not prevented unionists from responding sensibly?

A brilliant orator, who persuaded generations of gullible, ill- educated loyalists that to compromise was to sell out, Paisley's first major political scalp was Ulster Prime Minister Terence O'Neill in 1969.

Seen as too conciliatory towards the Catholics, he was challenged in his own constituency by Paisley, who came close to beating him. The humiliation helped to force O'Neill from office.

His last scalp belonged to that very considerable man, David Trimble, who in 2005 lost his Westminster seat to one of Paisley's candidates because he was prepared to accept the power-sharing deal with Sinn Fein that Paisley agreed, without embarrassment, two years later.

Although Paisley has never endorsed killing, and therefore was not as bad as the IRA, he spread paranoia and hatred - and then washed his hands when some of his audience became over-excited.

Many loyalist paramilitaries have said they would never have become involved in violence had they not been inspired by the inflammatory rhetoric of Ian Paisley to counter the twin enemies of Rome and the Republic of Ireland.

Certainly, the IRA leadership, whose mission was to destroy Northern Ireland, saw Paisley as one of their best recruiting sergeants. They murdered moderate unionist politicians, but they never made an attempt on the man who said "Never, never, never" to any proposals to reconcile the two tribes of Northern Ireland.

Yet this is the man who is now praised as an icon of reconciliation. "The established peace and continuing prosperity which everyone in Northern Ireland now enjoys owes a significant debt to the leadership of Dr Paisley," we are told by Shaun Woodward, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

Martin McGuinness, Deputy First Minister and a former Chief of Staff of the IRA, who only a few years ago would have been described by Paisley as the "spawn of Satan", says: "I think he will be fondly remembered by the people of Ireland, north and south, for the very courageous leadership he showed."

But should we not at least rejoice that Paisley saw the light? Is it not wonderful that in Belfast, Dublin, London, Brussels and Washington both he and McGuinness have shown themselves to be so smiley and chummy that they became known as "The Chuckle Brothers"?

And is it not commendable that Paisley is leaving office voluntarily rather than clinging on?

I hate to rain on an old man's parade, but Ian Paisley deserves a torrential downpour. What made him change his tune was a longing for power, fame and adulation, but then his whole career has been driven by his colossal ego and craving for the spotlight.

When the DUP and Sinn Fein emerged as the two biggest parties after elections in 2003, Paisley was still saying "No" to any power-sharing deal, but he knew he had a simple choice.

He could follow the advice of his deputy, Peter Robinson, and most of his colleagues and ultimately go into government with Sinn Fein, or he could refuse on principle and risk splitting his party or being toppled.

There was never a contest. Negotiations about devolution ground on and Paisley never walked away. Although as late as 2006 he was assuring his followers that Sinn Fein would be in government over his dead body, gradually the prospect of ending his turbulent career as top dog in Northern Ireland proved irresistible.

In addition, he fell victim to the vanity that so often afflicts old men. Sweet-talked by those two great flatterers, Bertie Ahern and Tony Blair, he succumbed to their entreaties, as he would later succumb to the calculated, sinister charm of Martin McGuinness.

Ian Paisley is leaving office because he has little option. Although his reputation was crucial in selling the deal to hardliners, a recent by-election showed a groundswell of deep disillusion at what is seen by tens of thousands of his religious and political followers as his treachery.

There is a deep loathing in the heartlands for the "Chuckle Brothers" routine.

The truth is that Paisley's modernising colleagues wanted him out and he knew his time was up. With Peter Robinson in charge, Sinn Fein will be kept at arm's length, and the mainstream DUP will try to reach an accommodation with the moderate Ulster Unionists.

Shed no tears for Ian Paisley. He did what he did for Paisley. Not for peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

He knew he had to cooperate to be positively remembered at his time of life. His son is another bollocks just like he was.
    At least he got some of his **** together in the end, but I don't think I'll be mourning the death of that man. The north would probably have been better without him overall.

The north of Ireland would have been better if nobody lived there.

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree with this. The reason for his involvement in the SF peace process was so that he would not get left behind.

I wouldn't often quote from Ruth Dudley Edwards but this contains some truth mixed in with the anti-republican garbage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-527351/Shed-tears-roaring-bigot-He-did-did-Ian-Paisley---peace.html#

He wasnt alone. (as a bigot that is). One cannot condone or excuse it but what does one expect from a province that raised its children to hate people from the other side of the community from them.

As long as this journalist writes the same when Gerry Adams and republican bigots are in this position

woodoo wrote: »
    I was glad to see his and McGuinness's chuckle bros routine. Because it made such a mockery of all he roared and bellowed about in his younger days. It made him look like a flip flopping fraud. He was basically booted out as leader of his party for those reasons.

He was/is just a bigoted man who loved attention.

Would it be fair to suggest that if he had continued to "roar and bellow" as you put it that the "peace process" would have either faltered or collapsed completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

xflyer wrote: »
    A remarkable man, I hated him, but surely if there's a God. He will be in heaven because he stood by his beliefs and yet did the right thing for his people and for people for him who were not his people.

I don't believe in God or an afterlife. But if there is, he will be there with his unmistakeable smile and his handshake.

He was an Irish politician, first and last whether he wished it or not.

Of course he's not quite dead yet. Never underestimate, big Ian.

In a million years I never thought I would write the above.

And I never thought I'd read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The days of promising bloodbaths on this island are long gone thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Would it be fair to suggest that if he had continued to "roar and bellow" as you put it that the "peace process" would have either faltered or collapsed completely?

If he had his way there would have been no GFA.

I bet you live in an estate where the most you do is nod to your neighbour!
    I suggest you read some material about why societies break down and pray to whatever god you worship that your children don't get caught up in anything similar. What a sad and pathetic thing to say.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    If he had his way there would have been no GFA.

Perhaps not. He did make a valid contribution though. He does a certain amount of credit for this.

• Advertisement

One could argue that Ireland would be better off with no one living in Dublin e.g. people like Bertie Ahern

Advertisement