Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KeithAFC wrote: »
    He was a good Ulsterman.

He helped fan the flames of a bitter war which saw over 3,000 people die and another what? 10,000+ suffer injuries.

Whatever turns you on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

LordSutch wrote: »
    Interestingly, he never hated 'Catholics' as people, indeed he had many Roman Catholics in his constituency who wouldn't say a bad word about him, but Paisley does/did hate the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, that is where he always directed his bile.
    plus he believed in supporting the government / the law. He kept the 10 commandments. If everyone supported the law in N. I., it would have been a better place in the 70's and 80's.

Judging by his sig, I think Biggins may be Ian Paisley.

:confused:

Biggins's sig refers to rebuilding a republic.

Paisley (who was headed of the Democratic Unionist Party) was pro-monarchist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He helped fan the flames of a bitter war which saw over 3,000 people die and another what? 10,000+ suffer injuries.

Whatever turns you on.
    A man of his time. Like many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

gigino wrote: »
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Interestingly, he never hated 'Catholics' as people, indeed he had many Roman Catholics in his constituency who wouldn't say a bad word about him, but Paisley does/did hate the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, that is where he always directed his bile.
    plus he believed in supporting the government / the law. He kept the 10 commandments. If everyone supported the law in N. I., it would have been a better place in the 70's and 80's.

Im not actually sure if your reply is taking the pi$$ or not, if it is then ignore my reply, if not...

You mean the law in NI which oppresed catholics for simply being catholics??? It was the northern statelet which helped create the conditions for the troubles to exist

I am no fan of paisley, never will be but recently he has helped bring about change, but leaving that aside he was nobody to be proud of!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

:confused:

Biggins's sig refers to rebuilding a republic.

Paisley (who was headed of the Democratic Unionist Party) was pro-monarchist.

:)

Zackary Grumpy Chimp was just jesting. Pulling my chain!
    No worries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

According to Eamon Mallie he hasnt suffered a heart attack and isnt as ill as is being said, https://twitter.com/#!/EamonnMallie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Hopefully his autobiography can be released soon. He was a good Ulsterman.

Aye, should be a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In fairness there was far worse than him in the north who really hated catholics. As was said he seemed to hate the religion itself.

buyer95 wrote: »
    According to Eamon Mallie he hasnt suffered a heart attack and isnt as ill as is being said, https://twitter.com/#!/EamonnMallie

I wonder how he has such an insight into whats going on exactly in the mans room and the treatment he's getting? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

plus he believed in supporting the government / the law. If everyone supported the law in N. I., it would have been a better place in the 70's and 80's.

This is total bull**** and wilful trolling.

Paisley was jailed a number of times.

He loved thy neighbour? :rolleyes:

Of course if the RUC and B-Specials had supported the law, maybe so much s**t wouldn't have happened.

Even the Brits when they arrived into Belfast were appauled by the behaviour of the B-Specials in particular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ian Paisley arrives at the pearly gates. St. peter notices his name is flagged.
    'ian, i'm going to need proof of three good deeds before I can admit you into heaven' says St.Peter

'well, in the 1960's, I donated £100 anonymously to a catholic family whose electricity was being cut off.'

St. peter flicks through the book. 'it's there.' Two more'

'in the 1970's I donated £100 anonymously to a Catholic family who's Father had been imprisoned'

St. peter flicks through the book. 'it's there. One more.

'in the 1980's i donated £100 to a Catholic family who's son was on hunger strikemin the maze'

St. peter flicks through the book. 'it's there. Hang on i have a word with the big man.

St. peter goes behind a curtain and calls God. he returns a few moments later and says 'God said to give you this. here's your £300. Now **** off to hell.'

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

I read somewhere that Steve Jobs last words were "Wow, wow, wow"

I hope his are "No, No, No"

Biggins wrote: »
    I wonder how he has such an insight into whats going on exactly in the mans room and the treatment he's getting? :confused:

The guy has 10,000 followers, apparently a respected political analyst in the North, I doubt he would get a way with hearsay, expect its true, as their has been no formal confirmation it was a heart attack

So true.

Just like Stalin, Hitler, Churchill, the leaders of the KKK, the bigots of Apartheid SA.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In fairness there was far worse than him in the north who really hated catholics. As was said he seemed to hate the religion itself.

While being an 'infallible Pope' of a pretty hateful church himself.

I mean come on FFS - a total hypocrite.

buyer95 wrote: »
    The guy has 10,000 followers, apparently a respected political analyist in the North, I doubt he would get a way with hearsay, expect its true, as their has been no formal confirmation it was a heart attack

fair enough, there must be some of those 10,000 followers in the hospital right now, keeping him informed.
    Sky News just reported he is having heart problems by the way. Something to do with his pacemaker?

So true.

Just like Stalin, Hitler, Churchill, the leaders of the KKK, the bigots of Apartheid SA.........
    Gerry Adams, Martin Mcguinness, Billy McKee, Tom Barry and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

i suggest you read a book on the subject. there were many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

his pacemaker?

Gerry and...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

He kept the 10 commandments.
    Well I'm not sure what kind of defense that is supposed to be, but it's important to counter it anyway.

From my limited memory of Christian belief, Jesus summed up the ten commandments with "Love the Lord thy God", and "Love thy neighbour".

Love thy neighbour?

fair enough, there must be some of those 10,000 followers in the hospital right now, keeping him informed.
    Sky News just reported he is having heart problems by the way. Something to do with his pacemaker?

No need to get all uppity... Its not like it matters greatly, either way, he is 85 and will only hang in their for so much longer, his death sure will be a momentous occasion, but if its tomorrow or in 5 years time the reaction will be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Not quite as good as Zebra's list.

What about them?

None of them are racist or sectarian bigots.

Anti-imperialist, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Callipo wrote: »
    i suggest you read a book on the subject. there were many.

I have read many books on the subject and known people badly affected by the troubles. There was certainly worse than him in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Comeagain

The bould Ian has made his peace. He wants to be accepted in the next world. Thats why he shaked the hand of Bertie the berk a few years ago without realising that Bertie was a bigger sinner.

Swings and roundabouts. Smoke and mirrors, daggers or whatever your havin.

May he rest in peace or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I have read many books on the subject and known people badly affected by the troubles. There was certainly worse than him in the north.
    Few as visible and influential though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Say ten 'Hail Mary's' Keith and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

What about them?

None of them are racist or sectarian bigots.

Anti-imperialist, yes.
    Yeah, just like blowing people to pieces and shooting people. A people of the time.

Advertisement