Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    A nasty bigot with a lot of blood on his hands. Boo hoo.

Indeed and I for one hope he dies roaring as loud as he roared in his heyday. He was a bigot of the lowest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Self appointed moralist,and unfortunately dangerous twat. Bigots will always hide out in cult religions and I think he may have realised that in his later years and tried to make amends.

'Save Ulster from Sodomy' was another one of his campaigns to prevent notions of equality taking hold in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

At least he changed his tune a bit. Otherwise we'd still be up to our knees in kneecaps. Gerry Adams didn't even get rid of the evil beard, shows you how committed he was.

Get well soon/RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One or two people seem to be missing from this thread, is there a bedside vigil or something?:confused:

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

realies wrote: »
    The man is in ill health and I would hope he recovers is there something wrong with saying that ? and I know all about Irish families and not just Northen not having living a long life that he has. My family being one of them. He helped bring peace to this Island and as well as being denounced for his many war like tantrums he should imo be also given credit.
    I appreciate what you're saying. But if I were to set fire to your house,and then call the fire brigade, I'm sure you wouldn't be rushing to thank me for calling the fire brigade. You'd ask me what the Hell I was doing starting a fire in the first place.

For many years, Paisley's career was starting fires. He has helped to reduce these to smoulderings by now indeed, but he has never negated the trouble and the pain he caused.

I must add that I grew up in the republic and was never personally affected by Paisley's incitement. I can only imagine the feelings that people in the North must harbour toward him for having lived under his zealotry for all those years. Maybe some can forgive him, and if so they are a lot more forgiving than I would be in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What the North required where reasonable men, and he wasn't one of them. When they emerged a deal got done and he had to be dragged screaming to the table. Only a revisionist historian will see it any other way. I think I'll switch off RTE so as not to have to listen to the simpering sympathies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He only mellowed when he realised that people down here hated the Catholic church more than he did.
    Once again, himself and the orangemen only mellowed once the donations from the state of the Republic of Ireland started to swell their coffers, showing the depth of their conviction to be about the same as that of any London streetwalker willing to grab ankle at the flash of a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

later10 wrote: »
    I appreciate what you're saying. But if I were to set fire to your house,and then call the fire brigade, I'm sure you wouldn't be rushing to thank me for calling the fire brigade. You'd ask me what the Hell I was doing starting a fire in the first place.

For many years, Paisley's career was starting fires. He has helped to reduce these to smoulderings by now indeed, but he has never negated the trouble and the pain he caused.

I must add that I grew up in the republic and was never personally affected by Paisley's incitement. I can only imagine the feelings that people in the North must harbour toward him for having lived under his zealotry for all those years. Maybe some can forgive him, and if so they are a lot more forgiving than I would be in their shoes.

As you get older you learn to forgive, keeping anger & hate in you does you know good at all it just keeps that fire you posted about lighting,Imo and I would be on the opposite side of everything he stood for,When the time came to make the peace he brought his party and people with him.Thats all nothing more.

Confab wrote: »
    At least he changed his tune a bit. Otherwise we'd still be up to our knees in kneecaps.

An overestimation.

The momentum was well behind the peace process long before he came to the table. It was the regular people of the north on both sides who had had enough of the bloodshed.

John hume tells the story of the occasion when he said to Ian Paisley, "Ian, if the word 'no' were to be removed from the English language, you'd be speechless, wouldn't you!" Paisley replied, "No, I wouldn't!.

• Advertisement

An overestimation.

The momentum was well behind the peace process long before he came to the table. It was the regular people of the north on both sides who had had enough of the bloodshed.

But with out his supporting the process and bringing that quite considerable support with him chuck stone it wouldn't have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

One or two people seem to be missing from this thread, is there a bedside vigil or something?:confused:

No Wolfe Tone either, reinforcing my suspicion he and Keith are a classic case of split personality disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

A hater of Catholics and an inciter of the degenerate loyalist death squads that targeted Catholics for nothing other than they happened to be baptised in that faith.

A man with a phony doctorate and the head of a religious sect he spawned himself. Paisley appealed to the most primal feelings of baseless fear and paranoia among the fools who listened to him. Continuously denouncing the Pope but acting as if he himself were infallible.

In the end he became involved in a peace process that was already a storm born wave about to break on a beach - he just surfed it to the sand to collect the trophy in the sun.

Are you a poet in your spare time by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

As you get older you learn to forgive, keeping anger & hate in you does you know good at all it just keeps that fire you posted about lighting,Imo and I would be on the opposite side of everything he stood for,When the time came to make the peace he brought his party and people with him.Thats all nothing more.

I can't help but note that the change of heart happened shortly after the DUP became the largest party and the possibility of getting the top job opened up. That said, hope he recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No Wolfe Tone either, reinforcing my suspicion he and Keith are a classic case of split personality disorder.

Keith's probably holding a candle and singing "We will overcome", while WT is making certain that the gates of hell are marked on Paisley's satnav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Keith's probably holding a candle and singing "We will overcome", while WT is making certain that the gates of hell are marked on Paisley's satnav.

Someone's going to be disappointed...

But with out his supporting the process and bringing that quite considerable support with him chuck stone it wouldn't have happened.

This is your view but it's impossible to say.

Also he was only returning people who he himself had whipped into a frenzy of paranoia and suspicion to a point where they should have been a long time ago.

If he'd never been born there'd have been a lot less of 'the Troubles' in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

At 85 the old b*****d can't have much left in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I hear poor Keith is distraught and on his way up to Dundonald to wail outside the hospital.

I remember well the Ian Paisley i grew up seeing on the TV. I think he was a bigot to his core. I will not mourn his passing if it comes about. And i feel i'm only being fair to the people who his incitement caused so much pain and misery.

This is your view but it's impossible to say.

Also he was only returning people who he himself had whipped into a frenzy of paranoia and suspicion to a point where they should have been a long time ago.

If he'd never been born there'd have been a lot less of 'the Troubles' in my view.

The trouble are and where a lot deeper than Ian paisley as I know you know,You will always get his types, Anyway I feel that I am going overboard here in defending the man and that I have no wish to do :o So with that I am out and never say never.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he never said he hated catholics as individuals

he hated the institution of the catholic church, with its domineering presence in the republic seen by many northern protestants as a threat to their religious freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

fryup wrote: »
    he never said he hated catholics as individuals

he hated the institution of the catholic church, with its domineering presence in the republic seen by many northern protestants as a threat to their religious freedom

I wanted to stay out of this.
    Read some of the Paisleys quotes posted earlier and ask yourself if it was just the institution he hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Could the reason that Keith's not here be that he might have suffered a heart attack and is being treated in hospital....you never know who's behind a username now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he did provide us with some good laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Often been told that if a constituent went to Paisley with a problem he would do his best to help you - didn't matter what religion you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Get well soon Ian. Lámh Dhearg Abú :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

gcgirl wrote: »
    I think I will take my friends word on it thanks

your friend may be wrong . a biggoted bitter man a so called man of god who mellowed in only recent years to further his political career..

And i witnessed the man himself leading masked men through the streets of a northern town during the infamous strikes were protestants took over the streets and closed down large parts of nothern ireland stopping milk / bread any other basic items being delivered to shops and were mr paisley a god fearing man of god then made personal deliveries in lorries of food / water parcels to protestant familys only while passing the same doors of their catholic neighbours our family included ..

have a read below of some more only this gentleman.

Paisley was among those invited in 1956 to a special meeting at the Ulster Unionist Party's offices in Glengall Street, Belfast. The meeting's declared purpose was to organise the defence of Protestant areas against anticipated (IRA) activity, in the manner of the old Ulster protesant association after the partition of Ireland in the early 1920s.The new body decided to call itself Ulster Protestant Action (UPA), and the first year of its existence was taken up with the discussion of vigilante patrols, street barricades, and drawing up lists of IRA suspects in both Belfast and in rural areas.The UPA was to later become the Protestant Unionist Party in 1966.Factory and workplace branches were formed under the UPA, including one by Paisley in Belfast's Ravenhill area under his direct control.The concern of the UPA increasingly came to focus on the defence of 'Bible Protestantism' and Protestant interests where jobs and housing were concerned. As Paisley came to dominate Ulster Protestant Action, he received his first convictions for public order offences. In June 1959, a major riot occurred on the Shankill Road in Belfast following a rally at which he had spoken.
    Paisley, along with Noel Docherty established the Ulster ConstitutionDefence Committee which in turn established the paramilitary organisation Ulster Protestant Volunteers on 17 April 1966 at a parade in the Shankill area of Belfast Paisley went on to establish another paramilitary group, Third Force , on 1 April 1981. Another paramilitary group, Ulster Resistance, was established by Paisley in 1986.
    In 1964, his demand that the Royal Ulster Constabulary remove an Irish tricolour from Sinn Féin's Belfast offices led to two days of rioting, after this was followed through – the public display of any symbol, with the exception of the Union flag, that could cause a breach of the peace was illegal until Westminster repealed the Act in 1987)
    In 1969, he was jailed along with Ronald Bunting for organising an illegal counter-demonstration against a Northern Irellandd Civil Rights Association march in Armagh. He was released during a general amnesty for people convicted of political offences.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Get well soon Ian. Lámh Dhearg Abú :)

:) The only Red hand to victory will be IF Tyrone win the All Ireland this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

great to see the single digit posters out in force...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

paulgalway wrote: »
    Often been told that if a constituent went to Paisley with a problem he would do his best to help you - didn't matter what religion you were.

thats true. There is an island in his constuency where most of the inhabitants are Catholic, and he always got their vote.
    One thing I'll say for him, he always condemned those who went out and planted bombs. He believed in the rule of law, when not everyone did.
    Nor did he make people like Jean McColville disappear. Big difference.

Advertisement