Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Ian Paisley was the Hitler of Northern Ireland.
    I hope a heart attack kills him.
    The bigotry, hatred, and sectarianism in the North still prevails because of the proletariat worshipping bigots like Ian Paisley.
    When the last of the political dinosaurs from the Troubles are extinct; then the people of the North can move on and live in peace.
    Why are there still peace walls in Belfast? Because people like Ian Paisley indoctrinated the youth during the Troubles with cultural apartheid. This hatred and bigotry is ingrained in Northern Irish culture and passed down from generation to generation.
    The man was a criminal who should never have been released from Crumlin Jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It will be a sad day all told when he does die. He was one of the greatest orators in modern history with a great sense of humour.

And any man that calls the pope the antichrist earns my respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Ian Paisley has been hospitalised for a heart attack? That doesn't sound right, that implies that Ian Paisley has a heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

A man with a phony doctorate

I'm glad someone mentioned this. He was always referred to as Dr. Ian Paisley in both Uk and Irish media yet the title was an honorary doctorate from the Bob Jones University, a theological university.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University

It's like referring to Roy Keane as Dr. Roy Keane.

A meaningless "qualification".

He certainly chilled out though in his later years.

After the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005, Paisley expressed sympathy for Catholics stating "We can understand how Roman Catholics feel at the death of the Pope and we would want in no way to interfere with their expression of sorrow and grief at this time.

This was in contrast to Paisley's reaction to the death of Pope John XXIII in June 1963, when Paisley organised protests against the lowering of flags in public buildings after the death of the Pope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley

I hope he gets well. I'd never wish the death of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

John Doe1 wrote: »
    It will be a sad day all told when he does die. He was one of the greatest orators in modern history with a great sense of humour.

And any man that calls the pope the antichrist earns my respect.

well at least he also shared the only thing in common with the same anitichrist a serious condemnation of homosexuality ulster says no :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It will be a sad day all told when he does die. He was one of the greatest orators in modern history

So was Hitler. :rolleyes:

Even many Loyalist leaders turned against Paisley.

They blamed his speeches for inspiring them to fight a war of hate which he didn't take part in, but sat back and lapped up all the well paid and perk laden jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

gigino wrote: »
    thats true. There is an island in his constuency where most of the inhabitants are Catholic, and he always got their vote.
    One thing I'll say for him, he always condemned those who went out and planted bombs. He believed in the rule of law, when not everyone did.
    Nor did he make people like Jean McColville disappear. Big difference.

He was worse than those who carried out violence. At least they put themselves at some sort of risk of a life in prison or being killed.

He preferred to whip people in to a froth-mouthed frenzy and then melt into background when the violence started. The man was a bigot, a coward and sectarian of the worst kind.

afro man wrote: »
    well at least he also shared the only thing in common with the same anitichrist a serious condemnation of homosexuality ulster says no :D

Save ulster from sodomy was brilliant, it demonstrated Paisley's humour and understanding of irony to get the hipster vote

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So was Hitler. :rolleyes:

Even many Loyalist leaders turned against Paisley.

They blamed his speeches for inspiring them to fight a war of hate which he didn't take part in, but sat back and lapped up all the well paid and perk laden jobs.

It's real fashionable to criticise hitler all of a sudden:rolleyes:

He was busy setting up the only church that god authorised, the free presbyterian church

He was busy setting up the only church that god authorised, the free presbyterian church

I thought you were serious there for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hopefully his autobiography can be released soon. He was a good Ulsterman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Boiled down to the truth, he previously held some sentiments that was representative of his community at a particular time.
    Those sentiments be they expressed in words, actions or both, he expressed with utter conviction at the time.
    Now during those times I seriously disagreed with him - but he stuck to what he believed in even if any opposition thought he was wrong.
    He was a product of the times and a voice of those times too with its militant attitude.

In latter years, he mellowed and perhaps (I'm assuming) saw that the way previously he operated, was getting the country he loved too, nowhere - so he changed his ways.

I might totally dislike the man that was of the past (and I did very strongly) but I accept that he was willing to change and compromise for the sake of all communities, to jointly see peace become a reality.

I give him credit for his efforts over the years.
    Better a person sees the light of peace than remain stuck in a dark past and going nowhere.

Lets be honest, he was a MAJOR pain in the backside to opposing communities but if the most loudest, irate orator possible can quieten down and change, then there will always be hope in this country that things will change for the better.

I now wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

later10 wrote: »

That was a shameful speech full of incitement of hatred. Paisley should most definitely be remembered for that. Paisley may not have pulled the trigger, but his hands are dipped in the blood of dead men, women and children.

What I find even more shameful though was the lack of moderate unionists willing to stand up to that bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Biggins wrote: »
    Boiled down to the truth, he previously held some sentiments that was representative of his community at a particular time.
    Those sentiments be they expressed in words, actions or both, he expressed with utter conviction at the time.
    Now during those times I seriously disagreed with him - but he stuck to what he believed in even if any opposition thought he was wrong.
    He was a product of the times and a voice of those times too with its militant attitude.

I disagree. He was more than a product of the times, he helped manufacture the product of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Horrible thing to say about anyone you should be ashamed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I disagree. He was more than a product of the times, he helped manufacture the product of the times.
    And hell's jaws yawn wide for his fat ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Hopefully his autobiography can be released soon. He was a good Ulsterman.

I would read his autobiography.

If he truly was a believer in God he knew that he had to make amends in his latter days. He knew that he was an inciter to hatred and bad hearted to some of his fellow men in his younger years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Lets be honest, he was a MAJOR pain in the backside to opposing communities but if the most loudest, irate orator possible can quieten down and change, then there will always be hope in this country that things will change for the better.

Maybe he was just a fraud all along.

Maybe he did but for all the terrible stuff he did (its possible to still forgive as well as not forgetting) and he did some serious crap, he changed his ways and brought his whole community eventually, bit by bit, by quiet talk and negotiations with even his enemy and we have a more peaceful island because of his efforts too.

He was no saint by any means but then of those times, he or she, the many that had not sinned like him on either side of the communities, should stand up and cast the first stone on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Judging by his sig, I think Biggins may be Ian Paisley.

• Advertisement

Judging by his sig, I think Biggins may be Ian Paisley.

Well I am posting while very sick. :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

woodoo wrote: »
    I would read his autobiography.

If he truly was a believer in God he knew that he had to make amends in his latter days. He knew that he was an inciter to hatred and bad hearted to some of his fellow men in his younger years.
    Ian Paisley chased the power in the later years with Sinn Fein. I don't think his views on Ulster nationalism or Ulster Unionism have ever changed. Just better to get on with your fellow power sharing "friends" than not.

Will go to his funeral if he does pass away to pay respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The bigotry, hatred, and sectarianism in the North still prevails because of the proletariat worshipping bigots like Ian Paisley.
    When the last of the political dinosaurs from the Troubles are extinct; then the people of the North can move on and live in peace.
    Why are there still peace walls in Belfast? Because people like Ian Paisley indoctrinated the youth during the Troubles with cultural apartheid. This hatred and bigotry is ingrained in Northern Irish culture and passed down from generation to generation.
    The man was a criminal who should never have been released from Crumlin Jail.

Wow, thats strong stuff there Mr Foreigner, so I'm curious to know would you also be so scathing in your hatred towards any other big mouthed protagonists of the Troubles? Messers Adams & McGuinness come to mind, or is it just Paisley that you hope gets killed from a heart attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Listen I do think he was a bigot. I more than most deplore how the catholics in the north were treated. Credit due where credits due though this man preached against catholics and later in life visited the grave of the catholic emancipator Daniel O Connel. Thats some turn around and it must have taken a serious questioning of values for him to have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well I am posting while very sick. :o:D

Get well soon Biggins!

Absolutely this.

Ian Paisley's primary concern was Ian Paisley - the personification of a megalomaniac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Interestingly, he never hated 'Catholics' as people, indeed he had many Roman Catholics in his constituency who wouldn't say a bad word about him, but Paisley does/did hate the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, that is where he always directed his bile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

It's a shame that so much bloodshed and hatred has been caused by religion in the North.

Despite his biggoted past, I wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well thats rich coming from you, a man who said in a previous thread about the union jack..that you "hate britain and the british"

i think you're the one with the black heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ian Paisley's primary concern was Ian Paisley - the personification of a megalomaniac.
    Beat me to it to be honest, wee Ian didn't care where the money or votes were coming from as long as he got them. Politician in shocker about looking after votes in order to get elected, spits sectarian bile out the other side of his mouth.

Come on Ian, eternity is waiting. Gleefully.

Advertisement