Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you sack Kidney, yay, or nay ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lapin wrote: »
    I hate this trend of looking for the manager/coach's head after one game.

It's not after one game though; far from it. It's the latest in quite a few where we have underperformed considerably, with just a few notable exceptions in the last 3 years.
    Wales deserved their win today, but it was only a late kick of the ball that ultimately decided the game. Had that ball not gone over the bar would this thread exist?

It was the seeming inevitability of Wales scoring again. We were (inexplicably) ahead, and should have closed out that game. Especially against a team that was barely finalised 24 hours before kick-off because of a raft of injuries that would have crippled us.

Winning that match would have just glossed over a big problem with the Irish team, just like our win against Aus glossed over our inabiity to score tries, and our win against England in the 6N glossed over a poor campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

mr socco wrote: »
    I hope you're listening IRFU/Declan Kidney. The paying public (without whom Irish rugby would sink like a stone) have spoken. We want a new coach. I'm sure you'll respect our wishes, as usual.

The country could do with a national team playing exciting rugby to it's full potential for once.

P.S. I would like a refund for all the money I wasted on the 2007 World Cup please..
    How the rugby is played, results are what matters.
    Wait until the end of the 6 nations to decide if he should he go or not. If we do crap in the ret of the tournament possibly look to someone else.
    Exciting rugby, who cares, as long as its winning rugby. it doesnt matter hwo boring, dull it is

mr socco, and everyone else clambouring for kidney to go, who would you replace him with?
    Conor O Shea? Schmidt? Have either of these expressed an interest in coaching ireland, would they be willing to leave the club sides they are doing very well with to caoch an international side

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ormond lad wrote: »
    Wait until the end of the 6 nations to decide if he should he go or not. If we do crap in the ret of the tournament possibly look to someone else.
    Exciting rugby, who cares, as long as its winning rugby. it doesnt matter hwo boring, dull it is

mr socco, and everyone else clambouring for kidney to go, who would you replace him with?
    Conor O Shea? Schmidt? Have either of these expressed an interest in coaching ireland, would they be willing to leave the club sides they are doing very well with to caoch an international side

We lose to France, is there any way back in terms of results? At best we beat England, Scotland, Italy.

Results are all that count yes, but we lose to France, and everything after that will depend on performances. Not much use scraping to wins against those 3 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The paying public will have only spoken when they stop buying tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Not so much to do with Kidney but I haven't bought a ticket for an Ireland game since that €340 four game package fiasco, and I don't play on buying tickets any time soon either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

leonard7 wrote: »
    there was a lot of talk of kidney picking a team that will secure irish qualification for the world cup as a top 8 team, however, you'd assume that he would be picking the best players and playing a style of rugby that would win a match not jsut try and contain another team...i would say he should go but i dont want the scandal involved in a mid tournie switch

And now we've slipped down to 8th. Likely losses to France and 3 x NZ in the summer, combined with probably losing to England means that far from pushing for a top seeding, we'll be lucky to scrape a second seed. Tonga are closer rated to us than we are to England, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Don't agree with that. Even in the nineties when Ireland were doing badly the games were always sold out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ormond lad wrote: »

I don't care about boring rugby if it's winning rugby.

My issue with Kidney the year he won the GS wasn't that he had Ireland playing boring rugby. It was that he had Ireland playing limited rugby and only eking over the line thanks to BOD. It was easy to see that Ireland playing like that were never going to be consistently successful.

Our results the past two years have been woeful. So now it's losing, limited rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    t was that he had Ireland playing limited rugby and only eking over the line

This is Kidney's modus operandi. Compete, stay in the game, and hope it swings your way in the last 10. It is, as you say, limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I hate this trend of looking for the manager/coach's head after one game.

It stems from a culture in British tabloid newspapers of calling for the resignation of various England soccer managers over the last 30 years, and has since crept into all other sports.

Wales deserved their win today, but it was only a late kick of the ball that ultimately decided the game. Had that ball not gone over the bar would this thread exist?

I doubt it.

Interestingly - Not one one person above calling for Kidney's head has suggested anyone to replace him.

FFS, there are four games left in this tournament. :mad:

last six nations we beat England (super, otherwise poor 6N for us) ,world cup we get out of the group (equalled what we have always done got out of the group no better , we beat australia,where did they finish up?) and the shambles(tin hat on it) yesterday .
    hardly just one game!

For the amount of money that IRFU are willing to pay this best paid coaching set up for very average results post gland slam, I would say that they could take their pick from half a dozen decent coaches.

My list in order of preference!
    1. Jake Whyte
    2. eddie jones
    3. clive woodward
    4. Marc Livremont
    5. John Kirwan
    6. Nick Mallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

england are looking for a new coach after the 6 nations who would these coaches prefer to coach...id say ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

seanin4711 wrote: »
    1. Jake Whyte
    2. eddie jones
    3. Clive Woodward
    4. Marc Livremont
    5. John Kirwan
    6. Nick Mallet

Sweet Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Knowing how bad the IRFU are I wouldn't be surprised if we asked Kidney to give it another bash.

people were calling for EOS to go for ages before it finally happened as much as i hate it i wouldnt be surprised to be here complaining about kidney this time next year after DOC is picked again

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus

I reckon he is a good coach,
    Is kidney any better?
    Just trying to debate the issue you have your opinions I have mine!
    can you be constructive and name some coaches YOU think can do the job and win silverware for Ireland?

sooner than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I reckon he is a good coach,
    Is kidney any better?
    Just trying to debate the issue you have your opinions I have mine!
    can you be constructive and name some coaches YOU think can do the job and win silverware for Ireland?

Schmidt or Conor O'Shea would be my choice. Woodward has more chance of becoming Taoiseach than getting the Irish job.

i am a big fan of what Nick Mallet did with italy beat france for one (something we have struggled with!) id be interested to see what he could do with some quality players

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Schmidt or Conor O'Shea would be my choice. Woodward has more chance of becoming Taoiseach than getting the Irish job.

WOuld love wither of the two you mentioned but not available as yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mallett or Kirwan, and I'd prefer the former.

Schmidt is with Leinster, and hopefully will be for a long time.

• Advertisement

there was a rumour linking kirwin with ulster not sure how true it is though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Kidney is a nice fella but he is out of his depth. Its proven beyond doubt. The IRFU won't sack him because they'd have to buy out his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

My list in order of preference!
    1. Jake Whyte
    2. eddie jones
    3. clive woodward
    4. Marc Livremont
    5. John Kirwan
    6. Nick Mallet

1. Wouldn't say no to him, but can't see him wanting us.
    2. Only recently appointed as Japan's coach.
    3. Doing something to do w/ London 2012. Even after that, no just, no.
    4. Not completely sure if you're serious.
    5. A possibility.
    6. Another possibility. It would be interesting to see though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Jake White is head coach with the Brumbies. His first coaching job since 2007 as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Dont agree with this notion about results being all that matter, if you're playing crap and scraping through games it will catch up with you eventually, the difference between winning and losing very often comes down to luck, EOS might still be Irish coach if POC had caught that restart against France in 07 or if 5 defenders hadnt contrived to leave a gap for Clerc to waltz through, Kidney most likely wouldnt be coach now if prior to ROGs dropgoal in 09 Jones didnt boot the ball out on the full after it was passed back into the 22. The idea that if we won on Sunday all would be well is nonsense, the fact is that barring the odd frenzied manic agressive performance we've played like a drain for the past 18 months.

i agree its about time we put in some performances to be proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

shuffol wrote: »
    The idea that if we won on Sunday all would be well is nonsense, the fact is that barring the odd frenzied manic agressive performance we've played like a drain for the past 18 months.

That's exactly it. The team is rudderless. The management haven't made the most of having two very good outhalves.

They are now in the position where their most important player is injured and is nearing the end of his career and they haven't a breeze on how to cope without him.

The France game last year was similar to the game yesterday. Played well in some isolated moments but lost out to a more clinical, more precise team in the end. Oh, and both games were at home.

Of course, the game yesterday was quite similar to the WC QF too, with our inability to counteract the Welsh play.

We haven't learned from last year's 6Ns and we haven't learned from the WC. Players and management alike need to be refreshed. They had an opportunity to bring in a new backs coach and didn't, lets see if they bring in some fresh players.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What I'm worried of is that we will put in one good performance per campaign as usual, which will cover up the problems and then we're back to square one.

actually on what i would just say i dont mean to say the team arent putting in effort but just if we got the tactics right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Have to say I was never as proud to be Irish as the day we beat Australia, thought we were inspirational. Problem is that no team can reproduce passion play performances like that every game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement