Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Logic and sport don't make good bed fellows.

How passionate are you about your rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes i would love to be able to speak Irish fluently, but having had to read "Peig" for the 1992 Leaving Cert was a fate worse than death. Things are probably different now and maybe they make the language more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Namlub wrote: »
    She writes, in English.
    What language would you expect in an English language forum?
    Would you find it odd if someone posted "Englisch ist meine Sprache" in a conversation over on a German language forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

She writes, in English.

who writes in English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What language would you expect in an English language forum?
    Would you find it odd if someone posted "Englisch ist meine Sprache" in a conversation over on a German language forum?
    Yeah, I was being facetious.
    hondasam wrote: »
    who writes in English?
    Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Yeah, I was being facetious.
    I know, which is why I replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

hondasam wrote: »
    How passionate are you about your rugby?

On a scale of 1 to 10?

About 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Yes i would love to be able to speak Irish fluently, but having had to read "Peig" for the 1992 Leaving Cert was a fate worse than death. Things are probably different now and maybe they make the language more interesting.

It's still taught badly, and very badly in my opinion. And that's nothing against the teachers themselves, I had excellent Irish teachers.

My problem is with 16 and 17 year olds who are still learning the language, still learning words and grammar and unable to read newspapers or novels in the language, who would struggle to hold a conversation with a native Irish speaker on the street, having to read plays and poems and talk about similes and onomatopoeia. Just teach them to converse in Irish, and if they want to learn about Irish literature then let them chose. Make learning a language about actually being able to use it, rather than just as a vehicle for getting points in an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I would love to be able to speak Irish and I keep intending to learn. But I am also glad English is our national tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

LordSutch wrote: »
    No its not, English is our language.

Irish is given recognition by the Constitution of Ireland as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland (with English being a second official language).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

realies wrote: »
    Irish is given recognition by the Constitution of Ireland as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland (with English being a second official language).

As true as that is, what is the defacto (in practice) primary language of Ireland?

Hands down it is English.

philologos wrote: »
    As true as that is, what is the defacto (in practice) primary language of Ireland?

Hands down it is English.

Yes it is which is more of a pity imo.

Irish was the predominant language of the Irish people for most of their recorded history, and they brought their Gaelic speech with them to other countries, notably Scotland and the Isle of Man, where it gave rise to Scottish Gaelic and Manx. It has the oldest vernacular literature in Western Europe. It began to decline under English and British rule after the seventeenth century,By the end of British rule, the language was spoken by less than 15% of the national population.

I don't see how it is a pity that we learned first one of the most useful, if not the most useful language in the world. I regard that as a blessing.

Sure, Irish is culturally an interesting thing to look into, but if I'm to compare both on utility, it's English hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ideally we'd be bilingual, I'd love it if Irish was our first language (although it would mean I'd have to learn it) but there is no way we could go without English. In any case, English as spoken in this country is truly Irish, and is unique to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I'd imagine more people would try to learn the language if it wasn't a propaganda tool by a certain political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I'd imagine more people would try to learn the language if it wasn't a propaganda tool by a certain political party.

I think people associate Irish with being Irish faster than they do with Sinn Fein.

Not you though, strange...

:pac:

I don't see how it is a pity that we learned first one of the most useful, if not the most useful language in the world. I regard that as a blessing.

Sure, Irish is culturally an interesting thing to look into, but if I'm to compare both on utility, it's English hands down.

If we had being allowed to keep our own language we still could have english as our second language if we so wished,Many other european countries use English in work but at home and socially they speak in there native tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Would you prefer to speak Ulster Scots over English KeithAFC?

It'd be a great craic for all 10 of you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think people associate Irish with being Irish faster than they do with Sinn Fein.

I think you might be looking for this.

How is it a propaganda tool ?

O its you keith :rolleyes: In your mindset everyone who even speaks or likes Irish Anything has to be a hidden provo or die hard republican,

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

realies wrote: »
    If we had being allowed to keep our own language we still could have english as our second language if we so wished,Many other european countries use English in work but at home and socially they speak in there native tongue.

Irish is still spoken, but for pragmatic reasons it makes sense to most people that English is the primary defacto (in practice) language.

Seachmall wrote: »

Thats not strange at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Kind of taken the option away from the original protectors of the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ta

The "alt" key will give you the fada!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm a relatively fluent speaker - did it as part of my degree but haven't really spoken much since - and I would prefer to have Irish as a first language and English second on the proviso that we would speak English as well Irish. I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits our ability to speak English gives us just so we could speak Irish.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Testing testing

no fada you lie.

Irish is still spoken, but for pragmatic reasons it makes sense to most people that English is the primary defacto (in practice) language.

I am quite aware of that thanks but the original OP qustion was Would you rather have been born in an Ireland that spoke Irish rather than English and imo yes as we could still have got on with living & working in the wider world as most other non speaking english do.

I'm a relatively fluent speaker - did it as part of my degree but haven't really spoken much since - and I would prefer to have Irish as a first language and English second on the proviso that we would speak English as well Irish. I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits our ability to speak English gives us just so we could speak Irish.

But the benefits of English are many, it is the primary second language of most the world and more are presently learning it then speaks it. Also its why we get so much American investments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Liam Byrne wrote: »

©ººL

(ºLº)

Advertisement