Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

later10 wrote: »
    Exactly. That is exactly what I suggest, a ban on pride. There is no rolleyes big enough to describe the leaps in logic you seem to execute so well.

I'm not the one stating that one can or cannot have pride in. I'm asserting that it's not irrational if someone does. You are trying to police what is logical, and what isn't. A snide, condescending tone echoes from your posts.

Because I like the sport.

So presumably - if Ireland plays New Zealand, you will have the exact same emotional response if New Zealand wins, or if Ireland wins. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Because I like the sport, I like watching people perform a set of skills that I admire. The exact same reason why I willenjoy the Scotland England match.

I find it a little tragic that someone would suggest the need to feel a tribal bond to enjoy or admire a sporting fixture.

I have seen grown men cry over sport, it's pride in your team for most people who watch their team they cannot help but get emotionally involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

dlofnep wrote: »
    So presumably - if Ireland plays New Zealand, you will have the exact same emotional response if New Zealand wins, or if Ireland wins. Right?
    New Zealand isn't a great example, because I like to see the underdog win.

In the Wales vs Ireland match, I won't be shouting for a particular side.I think it's a pity that people feel the need to personalize these things. This is the reason I find the Olympics so regressive as well. Batallions of flag waving tribes endorsing these petty and divisive self-interests in a way that is so alien to what sport ought really be about - team effort, achievement and talent for their own sakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

TheZohan wrote: »
    I learned Latin in school, it made learning other languages a lot easier. Most english words come from Latin.

Actually they come from Greek. You went down a cul de sac with that post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well yes, why are you imposing how you would feel on him? I might watch it and wouldn't give a **** who won, I watch things because I enjoy watching them and it's ridiculous to ask the question, when he has stated over and over he does not feel such pride. In fact as he said, I always want the underdog to win personally, as it is exciting. If some country were supposed to get absolutely smashed by Ireland and destroyed them, I would love that game. When i watch games in the pub and people go mad at Ireland scoring and boo at the other team and I am just sitting there watching it with no emotion, people think it is quite odd :p

Well yes, why are you imposing how you would feel on him?

I don't remember imposing anything on him. I asked the poster a question.
    I might watch it and wouldn't give a **** who won

Jaysus - I'd say you're a blast. "I'm going to watch this match!!! But first, I'm going to make sure I don't give a **** who wins!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I would love to be able to speak Irish. I think the teaching of Irish should be voluntary now though.

I've toyed with how Later10 perceives nationalism and tribalism but I don't reject these concepts outright as being useless - they can be used for good and bad.

Take the recent success of Irish provincial rugby - it makes people proud, allows them to feel part of a successful community and I dare say helps build confidence in individuals when their team beats other world class teams.

I
    Jaysus - I'd say you're a blast. "I'm going to watch this match!!! But first, I'm going to make sure I don't give a **** who wins!"

There's no problem with having a preference. We all have heroes, and it's great to have heroes. But it isn't necessarily logical to elevate a man or a team to that status simply because they're of your tribe or come from your island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Seachmall wrote: »
    The culture isn't absolutely important though. I suspect I'd have the same pride in Ireland if we all spoke Irish as I do now, when we all speak English.

I much prefer "American music" over Irish music, I don't share religion with most Irish nor do I participate in Irish sports. These things which make up culture are irrelevant to me.

The important parts of Ireland to me, and the ones I would rather base my pride on, are the ones that provide me with what other people in other countries don't have. Being Irish means I have a great platform from which to enter an industry I love (technology), it provides me with great resources in terms of education and communication, it does it's best to ensure I will never be desperate for the necessities in life (food, water, shelter etc.) and for the most part it reflects more morals when it comes to national (laws) and international levels (neutral in wars etc.).

The Irish culture as most people mean it (history, language, music, traditions, etc.) means very little to me. It's what the country provides for me and 5 million others that make me proud to be a citizen here.

Well if you have a different set of reasons to have some pride in the country, then thats fine. And I fully agree with you, neutrality, stance on human rights, free speech, high levels of charity etc are very real reasons to be proud.

But they arent the set of reasons which spring to the forefront of the mind when people speak of pride in your country. Like you said yourself, the culture of Ireland as most people mean it, (history, language, music and traditions) are the things than bind most people together and engender pride. When 50,000 people's pulse quickens at an Ireland England rugby game, its not the Iraq / Afghanistan invasion by British forces thats exciting the Irish crowd! Its the history, the subjugation of the language and subversion of the culture over 800 YEARS, 800 YEARS!! C'MOOOOON!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't remember imposing anything on him. I asked the poster a question.
    What I mean by that is that it is a stupid question, as he already answered it in every single post? You are only asking it because you would feel differently and think it is odd that he would not.

I don't make sure of anything, I might like to see one team win over another, as I had said, but it has nothing got to do with where I was randomly born. In that particular case I would like to see Ireland as an underdog win the game. There are any number of arbitrary reasons I might like to see one win over another. Pride is not a factor I consider.

I don't make sure of anything, I might like to see one team win over another, as I had said, but it has nothing got to do with where I was randomly born. In that particular case I would like to see Ireland as an underdog win the game.

That's fine, and there is ultimately nothing wrong with that - But don't try to dictate to someone what is logical, and what isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

hondasam wrote: »
    It is our language and we should be able to speak it.

No its not, English is our language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Agricola wrote: »
    But they arent the set of reasons which spring to the forefront of the mind when people speak of pride in your country. Like you said yourself, the culture of Ireland as most people mean it, (history, language, music and traditions) are the things than bind most people together and engender pride. When 50,000 people's pulse quickens at an Ireland England rugby game, its not the Iraq / Afghanistan invasion by British forces thats exciting the Irish crowd! Its the history, the subjugation of the language and subversion of the culture over 800 YEARS, 800 YEARS!! C'MOOOOON!!!!!

Going back to the German example, do you think a German should be embarrassed or ashamed to be German because of it's unfortunate recent history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I find it a little tragic that someone would suggest the need to feel a tribal bond to enjoy or admire a sporting fixture.

I agree with this.

If your only interest in sport is tribal then it's not really sport you're interested in imho

I grew up in an Irish nationalist soccer household up north and wasn't exposed to rugby but started watching Ireland playing rugby years ago. It was the nationalist aspect that drew me towards it but it was the underlying skill and tactics of the game that grew my appreciation of the sport.

Take the recent success of Irish provincial rugby - it makes people proud, allows them to feel part of a successful community and I dare say helps build confidence in individuals when their team beats other world class teams.
    Oh yes, and in fact for this reason it's perfectly logical for those who do involve themselves with the team (at whatever level) to support that team simply by way of association.

And there's no doubt that victorious national team can give all sorts of people a 'lift', just think back to when Ireland beat England in Croke Park and went on to win the triple crown a few years ago. I was delighted myself (but I wasn't being totally rational). That gave a huge lift to people starting to feel the slow decline into economic disaster.

I don't take pleasure in being a wet blanket when it comes to sport and the national team,and I know that people do take pleasure in it, and I'm sure they have better things to do than concern themselves with the logical validity of such pride.

But, if we are to broach that subject, I would suggest that for the average punter like myself, a nationalist affiliation is a broadly irrational one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Going back to the German example, do you think a German should be embarrassed or ashamed to be German because of it's unfortunate recent history?

No, why?

I think that's an excellent question, but surely that's an argument against "800 years" nationalism in itself? In terms that historical responsibility or suffering is not hereditary.

My ancestors did lots of good things, my ancestors also did very many bad things. I take no relief for the good, nor shame for the bad. I am a remote observer, just as many of us are when we look at this island's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

But, if we are to broach that subject, I would suggest that for the average punter like myself, a nationalist affiliation is a broadly irrational one.
    Far from it, as a social species we are evolutionarily conditioned to form groupings and to put a higher value on members of our own "group".
    This then manifests itself in many ways, including national pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel".

Samuel Johnson

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

as a social species we are evolutionarily conditioned to form groupings and to put a higher value on members of our own "group".
    We certainly are.

But we inherited lots of forms of social conditioning including antipathy or lack of concern toward those beyond our tribe, and the denigration of women, and male aggression, and so on.

Not all things that have come to us through evolution are positive. Natural selection, and these animalistic and hereditary forms of conditioning have no foresight. They tend to promote what allows individuals to populate the environment; they do not necessarily promote that which allows individuals to be happy, or kind, or logical.

We certainly are.

But we inherited lots of forms of social conditioning including antipathy or lack of concern toward those beyond our tribe, and the denigration of women, and male aggression, and so on.

Not all things that have come to us through evolution are positive. Natural selection, and these animalistic and hereditary forms of conditioning have no foresight. They tend to promote what allows individuals to populate the environment; they do not necessarily promote that which allows individuals to be happy, or kind, or logical.
    Which is why having issues with the healthy release of these characteristics through things like sporting events etc is illogical and possibly even harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel".

Samuel Johnson

As if he can talk.

Snakes on a plane!! Like hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

As if he can talk.

Snakes on a plane!! Like hello.

He's dead Micky, he's dead.

Worms in a box.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Which is why having issues with the healthy release of these characteristics through things like sporting events etc is illogical and possibly even harmful.

Harmful?

Well now I'm just intrigued.

Harmful?

Well now I'm just intrigued.
    Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

LordSutch wrote: »
    hondasam wrote: »
    It is our language and we should be able to speak it.

No its not, English is our language.

Speak for yourself, please. Irish is my language.

Perhaps the HSE should sponsor the Ireland team for the 6 Nations. You know,just so as to raise awareness of the harmful side effects of not fully embracing the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, please. Irish is my language.

She writes, in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Logic and sport don't make good bed fellows.

Advertisement