Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Paul Bunbury - Respectful posts only please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

I'll spam now!

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What I find extraordinary is that if it wasn't for boards, I'd have heard nothing about Paul being missing. Granted I'm not the biggest reader of newspapers or don't regular see the TV news, but I've literally seen nothing, anywhere.
    I'm the same. I only know about Paul through boards.
    I've put his details on my twitter and told as many people as I can about his disappearance.

Hope he turns up safe and sound, soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

extopia wrote: »
    Why exactly?

No one wants to think the worst here, I think the post you were referring to was raising the idea in a subtle manner, but Ballymun is not the most welcoming of climes to certain people (I know, I lived there). If something untoward has happened then it would be in Paul's interest to entertain the possibility of evidence, for example if a robbery or assault had happened, or if he were to find himself in an insensible state somewhere. At this point I'm sure the Gardai themselves are entertaining the possibility, or at least should be. Any clue to his whereabouts should be entertained with the obvious goal of finding him and making sure he is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

3rd year CA are shortly doing INTRA placement, does anyone know if Paul had placement or had any scheduled interviews?
    Yes, Paul had secured a place with a prominent Dublin-based company. He seemed to be looking forward to it.

What I find extraordinary is that if it wasn't for boards, I'd have heard nothing about Paul being missing. Granted I'm not the biggest reader of newspapers or don't regular see the TV news, but I've literally seen nothing, anywhere.
    It's not just on Boards, it's all over the net, has been shared massively on Facebook and has been trending on Twitter as well.

As for the real world, I don't know where you live so I can't say why you haven't seen anything. There are lots of posters out in Dublin city centre, and a few in other places such a Wexford, but naturally we can't poster every village in Ireland. It has appeared in the Metro paper and the Sindo mentioned it briefly. The Gardaí are working with the press to get the message out in the coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

viadah wrote: »
    No one wants to think the worst here, I think the post you were referring to was raising the idea in a subtle manner, but Ballymun is not the most welcoming of climes to certain people (I know, I lived there). If something untoward has happened then it would be in Paul's interest to entertain the possibility of evidence, for example if a robbery or assault had happened, or if he were to find himself in an insensible state somewhere. At this point I'm sure the Gardai themselves are entertaining the possibility, or at least should be. Any clue to his whereabouts should be entertained with the obvious goal of finding him and making sure he is safe.

The idea of pointing blame at Ballymun, or anywhere else in fact, is frankly appalling. Let's hope PB shows up so that that particular slur can be cast aside. The rest of your post is incoherent, to be kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Why exactly?
    With all due respect, I think you are missing the point.
    The idea of pointing blame at Ballymun, or anywhere else in fact, is frankly appalling. Let's hope PB shows up so that that particular slur can be cast aside. The rest of your post is incoherent, to be kind.

extopia, this thread is not the place for starting arguments. Every little helps and all the posters here are doing their best to try and help in whatever way they can towards finding Paul. It may not seem like much but you never know and every action is appreciated. Consider this your first warning - any more off topic, unhelpful or argumentative posts will be dealt with in a harsher manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CreamCrackers

A quick question for anyone here that knows him, does he ever wear a hat??

Werid question but I seen a man at the bus stop accross from Fagans pub, Drumcondra Road Lower, the one heading towards the city centre at 3:10pm this afternoon.

Didn't get a brilliant look as he was beside another man and there was some traffic, but took a quick picture, hence the bad quality along with a crap phone.

But I have a feeling it's not him, but sure no harm in throwing it out there.

Unfortunately that is definitely not him.. that guy is in Pats, hes in some of my lectures.

I know that this has probably already been looked into but I was just wondering if anyone knows whether Paul had any plans for that Thursday afternoon? Like has anyone come forward to say he/she was supposed to be meeting him but he didn't show up? Or why he wasn't home during his week off? If he had plans for that day or a reason he was staying in Dublin it might give us some idea for other search locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I didn't think you needed a passport to go to the UK. I presume CCTV at the air and ferry ports has been checked and the emails spread to UK unis.

I work in Dublin airport and have shared on facebook etc, as well as putting up flyers in the office and letting all my colleagues know about Paul and getting them to pass it on further,so I know a lot of people here in the airport are keeping an eye out and have been doing so for the past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sallyanne2

I find it very strange and frustrating that nobody wants to tell us anything about Paul. They put up this notice but give out no information, other than what he looks like. It is hard to get tuned into this search when you know nothing about who you are supposed to be looking for.
    I do hope he is found soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

SallyAnne2 : The problem is that there has been no other information. The trail ends at the Eurospar on Ballymun Road at the moment. Dublin Bus have apparently deleted their CCTV for that day and the Gardai are trying to get his phone records. At the moment postering and trying to get awareness out are the main things. Maybe someone will have seen him on that day and will recognise his face from the posters and that will give more information on where he might have gone.

EDIT : Oops, misread the last post. What kind of information would be helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I take it the river and canal has been searched to a certain degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

People here are expecting an awful lot from the garda search team, they arnt going to trwl rivers and lakes without any clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Just a suggestion maybe put up a picture of him without the facial hair if you can find any ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion maybe put up a picture of him without the facial hair if you can find any ?

Already done:
    Really hope he is found safe and well!

He posted these pictures of himself in C+H, both with and without beard, which might help in case his appearance has changed.
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Before:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=129651&stc=1&d=1286068356

During (after a trim):
    attachment.php?attachmentid=129652&stc=1&d=1286068356

After (and soaked):
    attachment.php?attachmentid=129653&stc=1&d=1286068356

Oh god what have I done :(

Here's a comparison, I'll edit it into the OP:

428037_330162707028698_143712565673714_984088_1986193643_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

fair play to yas all! loving the Boards solidarity goin on. Please God he'll come home soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

cloptrop wrote: »
    People here are expecting an awful lot from the garda search team, they arnt going to trwl rivers and lakes without any clues.

Sorry but the rivers are usually one of the first areas search by the gardai. I know this because i lost a friend awhile ago and we were 3 miles from the river!!!

Sallyanne2 wrote: »
    I find it very strange and frustrating that nobody wants to tell us anything about Paul. They put up this notice but give out no information, other than what he looks like. It is hard to get tuned into this search when you know nothing about who you are supposed to be looking for.

What do you want to know? There is very little information to go on. Paul gave *no clues* as to where he was going. He told a friend that he would be around college over the next few days, so if he did intend to go on a trip somewhere he was keeping quiet about it. Every one of Paul's known friends knows about his disappearance and have been actively searching for him. We have been following up every possibility and suggestion, if we have not been updating you on our progress it's because we are busy and because the Gardaí don't actually want us publicising everything about the investigation.

If you think it's strange and frustrating, try to imagine how his family and friends must feel. And to be honest your tone is doing no one any favours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Yes, Paul had secured a place with a prominent Dublin-based company. He seemed to be looking forward to it.

By any chance has anyone contacted the Company to see if they had any contact with him recently?

Just an idea though I'm sure it's prob already been done! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

What other information do you want? He was last seen on the 2nd of February around 4PM on the Ballymun Road, in blue jeans, a blue shirt and a grey jacket. That is literally all the information that there is, and that's why the search is so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Mr.S wrote: »
    Does he frequent any websites that you can check his profile for his "last login" or "last seen" stat? If hes lurking on the internet somewhere he might have logged in somewhere.

He's a fairly prominent member (from what I've heard) of DCU's networking society, Redbrick. That has already been checked as they were the first people to start spreading his photo and details around Facebook.

Thanks for that much ATOL. What I would like to know is was this guy experiencing any kind of a depression or was he upset about anything? What kind of interests had he?
    Would he have wanted people to find him or is this a total random thing for him to do?
    Did he ever go missing before?
    I don't know Paul but if the public got more information on him they might build up a profile on him and take more of an interest in finding him.
    It is very disturbing to think that someone could disappear without trace for no reason. Internet cafes might be a good place to put up posters as he might be checking in there.

I understand where you are coming from but tbh, if it was me missing I wouldn't want my personal feelings and experiences made available to all and sundry. There are certain things which I believe should be kept private. When Paul is found would he like it if his personal information was posted all over the internet? I don't think so and I can't see how it would aid the public greatly in helping to find him.

The thing is, his friends and family know as much as they can about his personal feelings and imo, that's enough. Paul has never went missing before and this is extremely out of character for him and personally, I feel that that's all the public needs to know. It shouldn't stop them from keeping an eye out for him or not. Regarding his personal behaviour etc., the only people who should be privy to that information are those closest to him who may be able to use it to find clues about his disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

What was the small item he purchased in the shop? did he ask the assistant for change for bus or did he have a bus pass and can that be traced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sallyanne2

The trouble with me is that I get so involved with cases like this that I feel that if I just knew a bit more about the person involved I might be able to figure out where he went. Of course it is not up to me to try and figure this out and thanks for explaining Konata. I am looking forward to hearing that Paul has been found safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I didn't think you needed a passport to go to the UK. I presume CCTV at the air and ferry ports has been checked and the emails spread to UK unis.

you do with aer lingus, im not sure if you still dont with ryanair but you only need photo ID for the ferry for the odd time you are asked (from Rosslare-pembroke anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

I can contact NCAD SU if no one has already and my boyfriend works in the airport, T2, I can show this to him and ask him to share info. I've shared info on facebook and retweeted. Will do so again now.

Hoping Paul turns up ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr_Mister

cosanostra wrote: »
    What was the small item he purchased in the shop? did he ask the assistant for change for bus or did he have a bus pass and can that be traced

It was a chocolate bar and something else small I gathered. Small purchase.
    He may have gone to the park to eat that, and chill.

Does he get taxis ever???
    Have the taxi people been contacted?

He left phone and laser card at home. Is this normal for him??????????
    Does he go for quick walks like this much?

I'm going to get more posters up into a bigger radius of dcu. I reckon a lot of people who could help us know practically nothing about computers, facebook etc, and they tend to be outdoors more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I just gave some posters to 2 guys heading to Mayo for the weekend and asked them to put them up there. They kindly agreed, despite me being a total stranger on the bus with them. We can physically only get to so many places so if you have friends or family who have not yet seen posters in their area please urge them to do so.

And if any blogs/newspapers are reading this : if you could provide a link to the poster and ask your readers to put up even 1 physical poster we could cover so much space so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

you do with aer lingus, im not sure if you still dont with ryanair but you only need photo ID for the ferry for the odd time you are asked (from Rosslare-pembroke anyway)

You don't need photo id to travel between England and Ireland by ferry, although they recommend you carry it.

As for flight - you're required to have a valid passport at time of travel.

Advertisement