Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Stoner wrote: »
    That's true if you can't bang on about Tyrone in the Tyrone forum via a Tyrone paper where can you do it.

I bang on about Tyrone no matter where I am and who's listening. :)

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't mind the article, nice to hear a few quotes from Harte.

I've seen this imaginary four in a row crop up a few times now, as I mentioned on Twitter there seems to be some ham-fisted attempt to create a new record to be maintained every time we play a team from Ulster.

Apparently we're ignoring games outside of Croke Park now for the sake of flogging the the dead horse of 03, 05, 08 for one last time. If Kerry get the win on Sunday I look forward to the next time to hear about how Kerry haven't beaten a team from Ulster with red in their strip by more than two points when Jupiter was in the constellation of Pegasus since 1983.

I think the tone from Harte is closer to a lot of Tyrone supporters feelings re Kerry. The three in a row is gone and dead, the fact is that if we were really going for four in a row we wouldn't be the massive underdogs we are.

Some people, particularly the cheerleading local press will try to kid people into thinking we've got a much better chance but that's not the reality on the ground.

And anyway, going into a game against Kerry are we better off talking ourselves up or accepting that we're the underdogs? I'd imagine the later if it makes any difference at all.

I'm rambling now aren't I??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's true if you can't bang on about Tyrone in the Tyrone forum via a Tyrone paper where can you do it.

A fair point!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I love that we will always have those three wins over them. It's an open wound for them, sounds like it will never heal, even if we never beat them again.

Let's hope on Sunday the young lads can emulate what's gone before. Kerry will go for the jugular, try and get an early goal like against Donegal. We have to start at 100mph, can't let them build a lead over us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote:
    A fair point!

Actually looking in at this from as a "neutral"
    The Tyrone Kerry game is much more interesting than Monaghan Kerry.

I wouldn't give Monaghan much of a chance against Kerry.

But Tyrone might do something. Or get completely hammered by Kerry just to prove a point.

We get to watch on.

• Advertisement

But Tyrone might do something. Or get completely hammered by Kerry just to prove a point.

We get to watch on.

7am in a bar in San Francisco :(

I need to find a bar open at that ungodly hour to watch it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Jayop wrote: »
    7am in a bar in San Francisco :(

I need to find a bar open at that ungodly hour to watch it in.

GAA Go??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

We get to watch on.

I was of the opinion last week that Tyrone would have a good chance of upsetting Kerry based on what i have seen over the past few months. However, given the OTT backlash after the Monaghan game and the appointment of Maurice Deegan as ref, i fully expect Kerry to get every decision next Sunday and win the game. Expect the black card rule to be applied differently to Kerry also. Sad but will be the case in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm going along now anyway looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Nobody fancied Down to beat reigning champions Kerry in 2010 either

But their record v Kerry undoubtably gave them belief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Nobody fancied Down to beat reigning champions Kerry in 2010 either

But their record v Kerry undoubtably gave them belief

True up to a point, but Kerry's midfield for the 2010 Down game was Seamus Scanlon and Micheál Quirke. Tomás O'Sé and the then POTY Galvin were both suspended.

I would hope, we are not that depleted for Sunday.

GAA Go??

I hope that I don't need to and if I do I hope the hotel I'm in has decent enough wifi to put it on if I do use GAA Go.

Anyway, as is my trend I like to change my FB profile in honour of big games coming up. Last time out it was Cavanagh doing a superman impression on mcManus and this time I've gone for this classic.

_45038281_mcmahon.jpg

:cool:

I hope that I don't need to and if I do I hope the hotel I'm in has decent enough wifi to put it on if I do use GAA Go.

Anyway, as is my trend I like to change my FB profile in honour of big games coming up. Last time out it was Cavanagh doing a superman impression on mcManus and this time I've gone for this classic.

_45038281_mcmahon.jpg

:cool:

Black card ref

Beardy boys on tour!

Would've thought you'd go with the 2003 "swarm" Jayop!

Tommy wasn't hectic in that game, but had a great goal chance in 1st half when he possibly should've passed to Donaghy. He also skinned Joe McMahon and fisted a great point in 2nd half..and was promptly taken off a few mins later. :rolleyes:

Just a bad, bad day from our viewpoint.

I think I enjoyed that one more. 2003 was the semi final and as good as it was to beat ye it's not the same as winning the match. I think given all the talk of sledging this summer, the image of a dirty looking bearded McMahon screaming into the clean baby faced Walsh was an obvious choice.

Ah good times.

The atmosphere at that final in 03 was one of the best I every saw.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The atmosphere at that final in 03 was one of the best I every saw.

The Armagh game? Yeah it was only final I've been to and it was some craic.

The Armagh game? Yeah it was only final I've been to and it was some craic.

Yeah Mexican Waves and the whole lot at half time!

I don't remember that, but then again I've a piss poor memory for anything that happened more than 5 minutes ago. I'd imagine at half time i was queuing up with all the other plebs for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

I love that we will always have those three wins over them. It's an open wound for them, sounds like it will never heal, even if we never beat them again.

I have to admit that for me (but not many or all Kerry fans), there is certainly a wound there.

However note that Kerry have lost more finals (21) than any other county and keep coming back for more.

Bowed but never beaten.

Jippo wrote: »
    I have to admit that for me (but not many or all Kerry fans), there is certainly a wound there.

However note that Kerry have lost more finals (21) than any other county and keep coming back for more.

Bowed but never beaten.

As any sports fan will know, you hate watching back games your side lost, especially finals..but I don't tire of watching the 2005 final. Still think it's the best I've seen and in fairness, the better team won on the day.

2003, Tyrone would have won no matter what way they played, Kerry were on the slide at the end of Paidí's reign. Tyrone were well worth their 7 point winning margin.

The only defeat that irks me any bit is 2008. It's a game I think we had the personnel, the chances, the opportunity to win..but didn't. Even with that, it's more of an inward anger because some players and the management didn't grasp the opportunity. I think describing it as a wound is grossly overstating it anyway, but can only speak for myself.

I knew the Sunday Game twitter had favourited the Moyles tweet about knocking seven shades of ****e out of Tyrone, but they also favourited this one from him..
    Sean Cavanagh has become 1 of the biggest divers in the game ..he is a disgrace in trying 2 get lads sent off or booked..stand up

That's some bollocks tbf.

http://ulsterherald.com/2015/08/18/rte-accused-of-tyrone-bias-over-twitter-activities/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm going to go against the grain here as a tyrone man and say I agree with the ban for McCann. His actions were disgraceful and it was like something you'd see in the premiership. To balance it though I think the gaa need to follow the example of rugby and have an independent person rewatch games and cite anyone/anything that was missed by the ref.

Killer here is that people look back at tyrone and talk about their antics but to me they took no prisoners and it was almost one in all in. Now a lad gets his hair ruffled and he's on the ground in a heartbeat. I couldn't see Dooher or any other lads from 02-08 doing that...The monaghan lad would have ended up on his arse!!

So are you happy with the inconsistent approach of the gaa given there was another dive in the very same game that hasn't been punished.

Everyone I know in tyrone agree the the dive was cat and divers should be banned. The issue is with punishing one player and not the others on a trumped up charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So are you happy with the inconsistent approach of the gaa given there was another dive in the very same game that hasn't been punished.

Everyone I know I'm tyrone agree the the dive was cat and divers should be banned. The issue is with punishing one player and not the others on a trumped up charge.

I agree with this 100%. I'm all for handing out yellow cards/black cards/retrospective bans for diving, be it from the ref during the game, or the CCCC does it after the match video has been reviewed. But there has to be consistency, right across the board. All players should be treated equally, regardless of who they are, or whether or not their team lost. To penalize McCann, but not Michael Shields for his dive is madness imo.

Everyone I know in tyrone agree the the dive was cat and divers should be banned. The issue is with punishing one player and not the others on a trumped up charge.

The inconsistency is brutal alright. Who knows this is maybe a line drawn in the sand and from now on it will be policed much better. I do think tyrone do get hammered a lot from other counties and the press but unfortunately we bring a lot of it on ourselves. Still if we beat kerry on Sunday I'll be in Croke Park come September!!

#fairweatherfan

mfceiling wrote: »
    The inconsistency is brutal alright. Who knows this is maybe a line drawn in the sand and from now on it will be policed much better. I do think tyrone do get hammered a lot from other counties and the press but unfortunately we bring a lot of it on ourselves. Still if we beat kerry on Sunday I'll be in Croke Park come September!!

#fairweatherfan

You can't draw a line in the sand at a semi final though. It's nonsense.

I'm 10000000% convinced that if this had been a Dublin/Kerry/Mayo player in the exact same incident there wouldn't have been any proposed ban.

You can't draw a line in the sand at a semi final though. It's nonsense.

I'm 10000000% convinced that if this had been a Dublin/Kerry/Mayo player in the exact same incident there wouldn't have been any proposed ban.

Probably not but tyrone always seem to called up for "dirty" play and it's sticking. Sean going down and doing 20 rolls is stupid looking and draws fouls, but it also draws attention to the fact that he over reacts and therefore it's more negative press our way.

I don't know what way we'll go forward but if we keep providing ammo for our foes then we'll continue to get shot. I agree with you that the inconsistency is ridiculous in the gaa...Maybe the whole furore over "hairgate" will eventually bring about a consistency that has been never been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Brian McGuigan and Darragh Ó Sé were o OTB there.

Defo worth getting the podcast.

Honestly lads I would give my right bollock to watch the 2003-2008 team play again. Never in my life.

Advertisement