Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

We'd want to be testing that shoulder from the throw in if he does play.

Getting more nervous by the hour now, wish Sunday would hurry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

We'd want to be testing that shoulder from the throw in if he does play.

Getting more nervous by the hour now, wish Sunday would hurry up.

I suppose your not going to beat him by playing football anyway that's for sure

Officer999 wrote: »
    I suppose your not going to beat him by playing football anyway that's for sure

Well he'll fall long before he needs to be beaten.

---

Ding ding ding. It begins.

I'm sure there will be some retort about "hair" or "McCann"?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Well he'll fall long before he needs to be beaten.

---

Ding ding ding. It begins.

I'm sure there will be some retort about "hair" or "McCann"?

O'Donoghue did dive at the end of the AIF. However I have not seen any other convincing evidence that he has dived apart from that incident.

Yet, he is considered a persistent diver.

McCann made a mistake. Let us move on from that in the short term as the CCCCCCCC as suggested.

• Advertisement

Jippo wrote: »
    O'Donoghue did dive at the end of the AIF. However I have not seen any other convincing evidence that he has dived apart from that incident.

Yet, he is considered a persistent diver.

McCann made a mistake. Let us move on from that in the short term as the CCCCCCCC as suggested.

Ah I know. But the misconception is a bit of a trope now in fairness Jippo.

And it was a decent line that I couldn't let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Ah I know. But the misconception is a bit of a trope now in fairness Jippo.

And it was a decent line that I couldn't let go.

Trope... you learn a new thing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr.Goodman

I am looking forward to this game,if we can keep the game tight until the last 10 minutes I can see us winning the game,but then that is easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We'd want to be at least all square or even a point or two up at half time imo.

Tiarnan starts at HF. Team announced on OTB there. Can't find it anywhere. Kerry team out JOD and the Lank start.

• Advertisement

That's some bench they have. Galvin, Sheehan, O'Sullivan, Geany. Serious strength in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

tickets got, bus booked. roll on sunday. hope there gonna be a massive tyrone support in dublin. any word of how many tickets the county board got rid of?

This is class.

http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/08/video-this-is-not-a-jersey/

Buzzing for Sunday. Monday booked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That's some bench they have. Galvin, Sheehan, O'Sullivan, Geany. Serious strength in depth.

Dad's Army.

Some serious milage on the majority of those legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Dad's Army.

Some serious milage on the majority of those legs.

Yeah with an average age of 28 I'd be amazed if they're able to get onto the pitch unaided by nurses...;)

Seriously, who gives a ****e about age? You're either fit enough and have the pace, or you don't..simple as. We're a bit too obsessed with "age" in the GAA.

Geaney, BJK, Darran O'Sullivan, Tommy Walsh, Pa Kilkenny, Fionn Fitzgerald..this is not a Kerry bench that lacks power or pace in case that's what you're suggesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

I see Jack O Shea is the latest 'ligind' to have a cut off Tyrone in Friday's Kerry Examiner.
    It's laughable at this stage to read their constant chipping away at Mickey Harte's men.
    Then again, the two journos Hurley and Fogarty are scraping the bottom of the barrel when they
    seek the 'unbiased' opinion of Jacko.
    I'm amazed they didn't seek a quote from Paul Galvin, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

wackokid wrote: »
    I see Jack O Shea is the latest 'ligind' to have a cut off Tyrone in Friday's Kerry Examiner.
    It's laughable at this stage to read their constant chipping away at Mickey Harte's men.
    Then again, the two journos Hurley and Fogarty are scraping the bottom of the barrel when they
    seek the 'unbiased' opinion of Jacko.
    I'm amazed they didn't seek a quote from Paul Galvin, LOL

Munster based media outlet has a Munster target market. Of course they are going to write pro Kerry/anti Tyrone stuff. Just as Ulster based media outlets (such as the Gaelic Life/Irish News) with a largely Ulster based target market, will have articles that their own target market will lap up with a spoon. It's hardly rocket science. Some people really do over think this "everyone hates us" malarkey. Try being a Dub for all of 5 minutes and you really will know all about it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Jippo wrote: »

McCann made a mistake. .

This is the line trotted out by so many commentators and apologists .
    On a GAA pitch a " mistake " is , misplacing a pass , kicking a ball wide of the posts , hopping the ball twice and many other incidents where a player is trying to do the right thing but makes a mistake and does it wrong.
    On the other hand where a player deliberately throws himself to the ground in order to get another player sent off is not a mistake but a calculated action and is cheating pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kruger73

I have two tickets in the premium level, section 517, for sale at face value (65€) for tomorrow if anyone wants them, PM me.
    Thanks.

Quick prayer before bedtime.

Let the Kingdom come, they will be done.

Amen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Commiserations, I think Tyrone redeemed themselves somewhat today with a good display of football, on another day, ye would have scored a few more goals.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ShamoBuc wrote:
    Commiserations, I think Tyrone redeemed themselves somewhat today with a good display of football, on another day, ye would have scored a few more goals.

True but Tyrone need a reliable free taker, I couldn't believe how little time they spent on that during the analysis. That four point lead Kerry got back , Tyrone missed three deadball chances in that time . They missed four in a row at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I have to say, as a Meath supporter, well done to Tyrone yesterday. They probably could well have won that game but Kerry had serious intent to win the game having lost key championship games before.

For me, the key moments were the two goal chances in the first half when the guy that should have passed didnt and the guy that should have gone for the goal didn't do that either.

Looking forward to meeting ye guys in the league next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Missed chances lost them the game. They are in Division 2, but on yesterday's display, they are a Division 1 team, so they should be promoted next year. They could also have a very good summer. Peter McGrath wants Fermanagh to win Ulster, Donegal will want to regain their title and show they are not on the slide, Monaghan will want to show they are capable of doing more than winning an Ulster title and Tyrone want to continue building this team, so it should be an interesting Ulster Championship, as always.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

martyos121 wrote:
    Totally agree with you on everything else. I think we have the beating of Dublin in midfield on Sunday too, even the class of MDMA will be overpowered by Parsons IMO, Dublin will have to be very smart with their kickout strategy, but unlike Sligo, who miserably failed at this, they have the class in the half back line to play the short game. Shouldn't be a huge issue for us though because our patience and judgement in front of the posts has greatly improved and the amount of wides of past years has been cut down dramatically.

I can't see Monaghan doing much next year. Tyrone were decent yesterday. Top team in Ulster is there for them. Beating Donegal would show real progress imo.

Thing is there are some very clear areas to work on for Tyrone. Free taking , forward coaching. In a much better place than Monaghan and Fermanagh. Where would Monaghan start for example?

Looking at things yesterday they would possibly handle the likes of AOS fairy well. Donaghy wasn't given a sniff, although he's better on a dry day.

No complaints about the result. Those missed goal chances were killer, whatever about the iffy decisions towards the end, it shouldn't have gone down to that. We had them on the ropes a couple of times but just couldn't land a knockout blow. Maybe if we'd been a bit more predatory against Sligo, Meath etc the forwards would have been that little bit sharper when it came to pulling the trigger.

The squad is still relatively young, so I'm optimistic for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Stoner wrote: »
    I can't see Monaghan doing much next year. Tyrone were decent yesterday. Top team in Ulster is there for them. Beating Donegal would show real progress imo.

Thing is there are some very clear areas to work on for Tyrone. Free taking , forward coaching. In a much better place than Monaghan and Fermanagh. Where would Monaghan start for example?

Looking at things yesterday they would possibly handle the likes of AOS fairy well. Donaghy wasn't given a sniff, although he's better on a dry day.

Darren McCurry was excellent from frees all year until yesterday's match. Maybe the pressure affected him. I'd like to think Harte will bring try a few more U21s next year.

Ay ay ay. I wanted to leave it a while before commenting on this and I was away for a while so didn't really get a chance till now. I'd really want to watch the game back to give a full opinion on it but here's some initial thoughts.

Tyrone were never going to win this and never really looked like winning it. Even when we got back with about 10 to go I just always felt that Kerry were creating point scoring chances so much easier than us. We opened them up for goals a couple of times but never took what were straightforward chances we should have taken. That was our downfall.

The ref didn't do us any favours and was never going to. The only massive decision was the second penalty which was a stonewaller that we didn't get but he was probably determined to book someone from Tyrone for booking and that was his chance. I always thought we'd need to be 4 points better than Kerry to allow for the ref and so it turned out. The other decisions were all small but any 50/50 went Kerry's way all game and some of the black card decisions were farcical in the extreme although I'm not of the belief anymore that a black card amounts to much for the big sides who have quality replacements.

We played really good football and proved a lot of people wrong in this game. I think it more than any other this year restored some pride and faith from the Tyrone followers.

As for Mickey, we'll last night the county board didn't ratify him as was expected so it's really hard to know what's going to happen. All in all I think differently now than I did at the beginning of the summer and I'd be happy enough to see him get another rattle at it.

I thought we had a decent enough year. The younger players really stepped up, and should be that bit wiser next year. Kerry probably deserved to win in the end, showing good composure after we drew level, but they were there for the taking. In any event, I don't think we would've beaten Dublin//Mayo in the final. They're just slightly ahead of us, but not by much.

I'd like Mickey to stay on, the team are on an upward curve. Hopefully they're recognised with one or two All-stars at the end of the championship.

• Advertisement

I thought we had a decent enough year. The younger players really stepped up, and should be that bit wiser next year. Kerry probably deserved to win in the end, showing good composure after we drew level, but they were there for the taking. In any event, I don't think we would've beaten Dublin//Mayo in the final. They're just slightly ahead of us, but not by much.

I'd like Mickey to stay on, the team are on an upward curve. Hopefully they're recognised with one or two All-stars at the end of the championship.

I don't see us getting any all stars TBH. Who shone on an individual level this year that didn't have someone from Mayo/Kerry/Dublin slightly ahead of them?

Maybe some in the back line? Harte possibly?

Advertisement