Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

As much as I would like to see this type of behaviour lead to players been banned it doesn't allow for it in the rule book as it is clearly stated that this is an offence and that the punishment is a yellow card.

See rul 5.4 of the official guide.

CCCC have seriously fcuked up her on the back of pressure from RTE & O'Rourke

Thats right, its all the Meath Mans fault :rolleyes:
    Tyrone need to have a good look at themselves, Mickey has allowed this to develop over the years in his teams, I can understand Tyrones fans frustrations that they believe that everyone is against them but there is is reason why.
    In saying that, the way the GAA are flouting the rules to suit themselves is nothing new, Tyrone or Meath and a few other counties will always lose out, the likes of Cork and Dublin etc can do what they like and some rule will be invoked to get them off, just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

lukin wrote: »
    I do think if he had come out publicly and said "OK I made an ass of myself, I wasn't thinking, I'm really sorry etc. etc." then he wouldn't have got such a long suspension. He just said nothing and Mickey Harte then defended him (I can understand why he did by the way).
    It's like the Suarez suspension in a way. He got such a long ban because he (and Liverpool) were so unapologetic.

Not dissimilar in some ways, the FA have different rules for foreigners then for their own, Suarez done for racism, even though it was a case of he said, she said, and they took the word or someone who had previous for lying, as well as this, different rules for John Terry not so long afterwards.

Cork always seem to get their players off, then again Frank knows the rule book inside out and uses it to get his men off every time. Dublin, well they just don't hand up incriminating videos :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think your missing my point here due to what GAA charged him with the minimum he could get was 8 weeks!! If they applied the rule which is the official guide to deal with this they couldn't suspend him at all.

Anyone who has even a vague knowledge of the rule book realise that he will be getting off.

He will be getting off, but the most ridiculous thing is the fact that trying to get a guy sent off is a yellow card, yet if he succeeds, then the guy gets sent off and the diver gets away scott free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

I havent much sympathy for him if im honest but I think the GAA are just sending out a message that this wont be tolerated, He will get off for sure but the threat of suspension will always be there for future offenders.
    If anything is this not extra motivation for Tyrone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

wonga77 wrote: »
    I havent much sympathy for him if im honest but I think the GAA are just sending out a message that this wont be tolerated, He will get off for sure but the threat of suspension will always be there for future offenders.
    If anything is this not extra motivation for Tyrone?

This has been trotted out on so many threads.

If Tyrone need this to motivate them in an All-Ireland semi-final against Kerry then they may as well turn around at Aughnacloy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

liam7831 wrote: »

If this is true it marks a new low for Gaelic football and Tyrone in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is Liam trying to highlight this as brand new information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Jayop wrote: »
    Is Liam trying to highlight this as brand new information?

No just that its topical at the moment, not new just topical :)

Not really. It's an accusation that's being denied. If it's true it's a disgrace. Not sure what it's go to do with McCann's suspension unless you're saying that the GAA are taking things like that into account when considering what to do with this individual player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

One poster infraction for trolling, can we please ignore clear attempts at it instead of posting and dragging the thread off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

i just knew this disgrace of a ban was coming. the gaa/rte will do anything they can to stop tyrone reaching an all ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

Not really. It's an accusation that's being denied. If it's true it's a disgrace. Not sure what it's go to do with McCann's suspension unless you're saying that the GAA are taking things like that into account when considering what to do with this individual player.

Off course its true, what motivation would Declan Bonnar or the player in question possibly have in coming up with a story like that. No one would mention their fathers death to gain some cheap point scoring after a game or allow a manager to use it either.
    More head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

i just knew this disgrace of a ban was coming. the gaa/rte will do anything they can to stop tyrone reaching an all ireland final.
    Surely it's more than just RTE on a mission to stop Tyrone. It's disgraceful really how the southern media has brainwashed a whole country into turning against our cousins from Tyrone.

threeball wrote: »
    Off course its true, what motivation would Declan Bonnar or the player in question possibly have in coming up with a story like that. No one would mention their fathers death to gain some cheap point scoring after a game or allow a manager to use it either.
    More head in the sand stuff.

You assume it's head in the sand stuff and that's your problem not mine. Here's a post I made about an hour ago about this in another thread.

On the one hand, if it actually didn't happen (unlikely) and they have some way of proving it (almost impossible) then you could fully understand it as a young lads name will have been dragged though the mud in the worst way for nothing.

So I really don't have my head in the sand, but thanks for assuming you know anything about me.

Ten years ago today lads. I was above for that and it's the best day I've had in croker for craic and an amazing game. Posting from the iPad now so I'll fix the link tomorrow if it doesn't work.

https://t.co/4XwRo6MCpo

And other radio stations.

And the print media.

And mankind (the poll on Newstalk is currently more than 2/3rds saying the ban isn't too harsh).

All out to get Tyrone.

Ten years ago today lads. I was above for that and it's the best day I've had in croker for craic and an amazing game. Posting from the iPad now so I'll fix the link tomorrow if it doesn't work.

https://t.co/4XwRo6MCpo

I worked for the ESB at teh time and I couldn't get the bloody day of work. Still rankles. Still, that goal from Muggsy was top-drawer.

And other radio stations.

And the print media.

And mankind (the poll on Newstalk is currently more than 2/3rds saying the ban isn't too harsh).

All out to get Tyrone.

Edit, why bother

Jayop, it would be best to stop engaging in this situation. You're gonna drive yourself mental.

• Advertisement

Jayop, it would be best to stop engaging in this situation. You're gonna drive yourself mental.

Aye I edited that post.

Aye I edited that post.

Good mawn.

When are ya off to SF/NV? You'll need that break.

Good mawn.

When are ya off to SF/NV? You'll need that break.

Tomorrow week. It's a work trip to sf but Vegas for fun.

I see Deegan is down to ref the semi.

Tomorrow week. It's a work trip to sf but Vegas for fun.

I see Deegan is down to ref the semi.

And we have Joe McQuillan.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭blackvalley

In saying that, the way the GAA are flouting the rules to suit themselves is nothing new, Tyrone or Meath and a few other counties will always lose out, the likes of Cork and Dublin etc can do what they like and some rule will be invoked to get them off, just the way it is.

Presume you are including Louth in the list of counties that dont get fair play. You might recall that they lost out in very odd circumstances in the Leinster final a few years back .
    Now let me think , who did they loose to :confused: , ah yes ! Meath.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Tyrone fans should be delighted. Mickey Harte needs to do little to build this as a "everybody is out to get us" pre game team talk...

I'm guessing few people outside of Tyrone share the rage of perceived unfairness in the McCann matter. I can't say I have much sympathy for the kind of play acting that Tyrone engage in (including the awful McCann dive), but in the interest of fairness , there have been plenty of incidents in the championship that should of been dealt with in the same manner and for that there is an inconsistency issue with regards to the penalty.

Maybe they are using a high profile case like this to try and stamp out the problem of cheating in this manner. Maybe it's unfair on Tyrone but I think most people will feel that it's for the good of the game if this ban is upheld and it deters future play acting in the game.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Tyrone fans should be delighted. Mickey Harte needs to do little to build this as a "everybody is out to get us" pre game team talk...

I'm guessing few people outside of Tyrone share the rage of perceived unfairness in the McCann matter. I can't say I have much sympathy for the kind of play acting that Tyrone engage in (including the awful McCann dive), but in the interest of fairness , there have been plenty of incidents in the championship that should of been dealt with in the same manner of this is indeed an offence.

Maybe they are using a high profile case like this to try and stamp out the problem of cheating in this manner. Maybe it's unfair on Tyrone but I think most people will feel that it's for the good of the game if this ban is upheld and it deters future play acting in the game.

I don't really think having a kangaroo court making up the rules as it's going on and punishing an individual more on the basis of the perceived crimes of his team is helping the good of the game at all.

If I went to court in England for shoplifting that had a maximum sentence of 3 weeks in jail on the statute, and the perception of the court was that Irish people are always shoplifting and doing other things, should the court be allowed to upgrade my punishment to a year to deter other Irish criminals despite dishing out 3 week sentences all day to others?

That's what's happening here. He's getting punished for the way Tyrone are playing the game.

Anyway, I'll try to make this my last post on the matter because I Rebel Girl is locking threads that keep going over and over the same thing (rightly imo) and I don't want this thread locked too.

I don't really think having a kangaroo court making up the rules as it's going on and punishing an individual more on the basis of the perceived crimes of his team is helping the good of the game at all.

If I went to court in England for shoplifting that had a maximum sentence of 3 weeks in jail on the statute, and the perception of the court was that Irish people are always shoplifting and doing other things, should the court be allowed to upgrade my punishment to a year to deter other Irish criminals despite dishing out 3 week sentences all day to others?

That's what's happening here. He's getting punished for the way Tyrone are playing the game.

Anyway, I'll try to make this my last post on the matter because I Rebel Girl is locking threads that keep going over and over the same thing (rightly imo) and I don't want this thread locked too.

Tyrone fans have a reasonable grievance for the GAA deciding to choose this incident over all others to start laying down the law.

That said, McCann cheated with the intention of getting an opponent sent off. You cant ignore the cheating by the Tyrone player and at the same time take the moral high ground on this incident.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Tyrone fans have a reasonable grievance for the GAA deciding to choose this incident over all others to start laying down the law.

That said, McCann cheated with the intention of getting an opponent sent off. You cant ignore the cheating by the Tyrone player and at the same time take the moral high ground on this incident.

I didn't ignore his cheating and I've said I'd love to see bans imposed for diving and simulation. You can't just make up the rules as you go along though.

• Advertisement

I didn't ignore his cheating and I've said I'd love to see bans imposed for diving and simulation. You can't just make up the rules as you go along though.

I agree you cant make up the rules but I'm not sure this is as much making up a rule as it is trying to penalise a player under another, more ambiguous rule?

The GAA's stance appears to be that its a penalty under the guise of "discrediting the association" clause (or something to that effect). I would of thought Tyrone's defence is more to do with the improper/inconsistent use of this penalty, as opposed to it being them just inventing a law, that is the problem.

Advertisement