Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

doc_17 wrote: »
    Why aren't Tyrone talking to RTE?

Personal issues between RTE and mickey that's been going on for years. Relates to Harte and others sending a letter to RTE about someone who they felt should have got a promotion and RTE released that to the public then they allowed a radio DJ to do a very offensive sketch about Harte that was thought by many to have included a dig about his murdered daughter. That started it and the perception that RTE now treat Tyrone harsher than other counties has grown and festered.

Players are free to talk by they too choose not to. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭doc_17

I thought that issue was resolved? I know he's friendly with the commentator involved but that's none of Harte's business. And didn't that fall out happen before the other stuff?

doc_17 wrote: »
    I thought that issue was resolved? I know he's friendly with the commentator involved but that's none of Harte's business. And didn't that fall out happen before the other stuff?

RTE issued a half hearted apology about 4 years later. Too little too late.

The Carty (I think) issue was what triggered everything and Tyrone spoke to RTE before that. Everything else stemmed from RTE punishing Harte for that.

As a private citizen he's as entitled as anyone else to have an issue with RTE and what they do. Whether the National broadcaster isn't a private company so we're entitles to send them a letter asking g them to do something. They are entitled to ignore that letter but what followed was disgusting.

So a few days has passed and I've probably read every word in the media written about the game since then. Haven't managed to catch the Sunday Game highlights show yet but I watched the match yesterday morning again and feel I have learned all I can about it.

The big question now is where does this leave this Tyrone side? The point made before the game about Tyrone form was that we hadn't beat a d1 side since monaghan last summer and the last one we played was Kerry who beat us. That run has been put to bed now but if Tyrone want to win an all Ireland we will need to likely beat 2 more d1 sides including the mighty Dubs and that won't be easy.

Looking at the way the fixtures are probably going to pan out it'll be Mayo in the quarters and if we win that I reckon Galway in the semi. No easy games there and even getting over them leaves that Dublin team in all likelihood in the final.

It's possible of course that we can do it, but not likely. The team will need to perform a lot better over 70 to get passed all that lot. I don't think you'll see us with those tactics from Sunday again this year. They were tailored for Donegal and it's been shown by both Dublin and kerry that sometimes to beat that defensive structure you need to copy it. Makes for poor football to watch but it seems to work. Hopefully if we do get mayo we'll go back to what we did in the derry game and the cavan replay.

Our forwards are a lot better than what they showed yesterday and given more ball they can do damage. Ronan O'Neill may struggle to get the start though after how well McCurry did and that lovely pout he kicked from play. We were very wasteful especially in the first half and must have had 10 or more wides and kicks left short.

Prediction, I think we can make the final but will miss out on big prize. The problem with that is although this is a young team they still rely on Sean, Joe and Colm and how many more years do they have in them? Sean Cavanagh especially could be in his last year so the window for winning the big one again is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have to say I enjoyed that overall. Especially the Tyrone win. Made the trip to the Moy for a few scoops all the more enjoyable.

I thought Mickey's tactics were spot on, however Donegal's discipline in defence lasted a lot longer than anticipated. As for Harte's and Cavanagh's points to win a game... Beautiful.

Managed to catch a bit of our game in Creighton's afterwards and see that goal of the year from BBrogan. It'll take something special to beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't think you'll see us with those tactics from Sunday again this year. They were tailored for Donegal and it's been shown by both Dublin and kerry that sometimes to beat that defensive structure you need to copy it. Makes for poor football to watch but it seems to work. Hopefully if we do get mayo we'll go back to what we did in the derry game and the cavan replay.

+1 for this. Mickey is shrewd and will set up the team to match his opposition. It gives us a few well rehearsed options playing different styles of football from the counties. I'm really looking forward to the next set of games as I felt we held a little in reserve in the more open games earlier in the season. I hope we get to play more fluid games from here on in and empty the tank each time. For sure it will need it, to make the final and possibly more for a win in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Much to the annoyance of a few lads at work I have Tyrone as favourites to win the All-Ireland.

All round they are exceptionally good footballers and IF they concentrate on their football they will be very to beat. While Harte is a master tactician he is perhaps a little negative and playing very close to the edge. This might bite back.

They have good defenders, midfield is ok and exceptionally good forwards. The short kickouts will often balance out midfield. They certainly have the players to win All-Ireland.

Our midfield is much better than our forwards on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Our midfield is much better than our forwards on average.
    The way Tyrone play you have 8 very good midfielders really. From 5 to 12 all do serious work there and I think their natural football ability makes them better than most.

LeoB wrote: »
    The way Tyrone play you have 8 very good midfielders really. From 5 to 12 all do serious work there and I think their natural football ability makes them better than most.

Aye fair points and I probably should have assumed what you meant. By forwards with Tyrone I'd really only think of the 2 man full forward line. While the variety of players we have to play there are all pretty good on their day, none are as consistent as you'd like. Our half lines and midfield pair are our strongest suits imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

03 + 05 = 08

03 + 05 + 08 = 16

Just saying like!!

JB81 wrote: »
    03 + 05 = 08

03 + 05 + 08 = 16

Just saying like!!

Astounding logic. :)

If we're to be beaten this year to another All-Ireland I will be happy enough that it's ye yiz beat us.

Cos next year we meet in the SF and I would like a Dublin-Tyrone final. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Astounding logic. :)

If we're to be beaten this year to another All-Ireland I will be happy enough that it's ye.

Cos next year we meet in the SF and I would like a Dublin-Tyrone final. :)

lol
    I'll assume your a dub...
    Not sure if we are in a position to beat Dublin just yet, although on any given day you never know.
    And we have possibly Mayo & Galway to navigate yet so long way off....
    My head says I would like to see Donegal/Kerry beat Dublin and we play one of them in the final, as I feel we could take them to be fair, preferably Kerry ( as I live there ) and because of last years semi final..
    My heart says I would absolutely love to beat Dublin in the Final, revenge for 95 etc......

JB81 wrote: »
    lol
    I'll assume your a dub...
    Not sure if we are in a position to beat Dublin just yet, although on any given day you never know.
    And we have possibly Mayo & Galway to navigate yet so long way off....
    My head says I would like to see Donegal/Kerry beat Dublin and we play one of them in the final, as I feel we could take them to be fair, preferably Kerry ( as I live there ) and because of last years semi final..
    My heart says I would absolutely love to beat Dublin in the Final, revenge for 95 etc......

Hence the "if".

I would love a repeat of 1995. Either way I have the week off after that no matter the result. Straight up to Benburb with me!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ye.

I'm calling for some DNA testing on you BonnieStation

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm calling for some DNA testing on you BonnieStation

I don't know what your [sic] are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ah Jayop where are you gone to?What's your feelings about Saturday?I'd have you guys as justifiable favourites and there's no cute whorism agenda.Having said that I am expecting we will hopefully see a totally different sort of wounded animal with a point to prove when our lads tog out.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ah Jayop where are you gone to?What's your feelings about Saturday?I'd have you guys as justifiable favourites and there's no cute whorism agenda.Having said that I am expecting we will hopefully see a totally different sort of wounded animal with a point to prove when our lads tog out.

I do most of my posting in the main GAA thread as there's not much activity in this one.

Yeah I think we're rightly slight favorites and I'd be very disappointed this year if we didn't get to the final the way it's panning out but you know the craic, games aren't won on paper or in the bookies office and anything can happen.

Should be a great days football on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

seligehgit wrote: »

I have no idea why I fancy Mayo. I just do.

Very odd.

Very odd.

There's not a whole pile in it and generally Mayo have had the better of us in Championship football.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    There's not a whole pile in it and generally Mayo have had the better of us in Championship football.

And there so niggle

Plus Tyrone, when there's no in-tin-city, look aud-din-ary, I've heard it said before many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Very odd.

Ah yes there is not a whole lot of logic to going with Mayo based on the form guide,I think some argue there is another level to the team in probability based on previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

People can justifiably question the quality of the Ulster final this year but the one thing i took note of was the manner of the victory.

Last year Tyrone just didn't believe they could topple Kerry and that manifested in them fluffing easy chances. Complete lack of conviction. The scores they got in the final minutes against Donegal would lead you to believe lessons have been learnt. Still mightn't be enough but it makes them a far greater test for everyone imo.

Its a road well travelled btw. Dublin in 2010, Donegal in 2011 for eg. Dublin had enough chances to beat Cork in their semi, didn't take them and wilted when the pressure was greatest. Donegal...McFadden not taking his goal and again wilted when the pressure came on. Both went out and won the AI the following year. Winning tight games and showing great character in the process.

I still think Mayo will win!;)

Tyrone are bit different this year than other years. They’re landing into Croke Park with people talking them up. Nobody has a beef with them. Nobody’s calling them cynical, nobody’s looking for a rule to be changed because of them. People actually like them in 2016.
    It doesn’t suit Tyrone to be liked. It’s damn hard to build a siege mentality when everybody thinks you’re pretty good. I saw fellas in Kerry saying they were delighted to see Mickey Harte win an Ulster title after so long without one. He won’t like hearing that! Tyrone fatten on controversy and there’s none so far this year.

Darragh O Se in the Times. lol, what an absolute myth this is. I tell you, our controversy didn't do us any favours last year when we played Kerry and got a man booked for diving.

Darragh O Se in the Times. lol, what an absolute myth this is. I tell you, our controversy didn't do us any favours last year when we played Kerry and got a man booked for diving.

What a load of crap that passage is from Ó Sé. What's he on. The WUM!

What a load of crap that passage is from Ó Sé. What's he on. The WUM!

Inches to fill and I'd say they're running out of stuff to fill them with at this stage of the year.

Almost all of his articles are the same tripe.

And they always have an immortal "down in Kerry" part.

The one last month where he went on about how handy the Munster Championship was absolutely riled me.

I kind of enjoy him most of the time.

I kind of enjoy him most of the time.

You're a glutton

• Advertisement

You're a glutton

Ah sure you have to take them all with a pinch of salt. The vast majority of them I can't stand on the TV but I can never get enough GAA on the radio or in the papers. One of my favourite things leading up to a big game is reading all the opinion pieces and having a laugh at most of them.

Advertisement