Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That first half was nice and tight.

The second though, Tyrone's class showed. I'm praying for a ding dong with ourselves in an All-Ireland Final. Should've been last year mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Aye some of the football Harte played was top class.

Jayop wrote: »
    Aye some of the football Harte played was top class.

He is an unreal player. When I see the praise heaped on the Gooch for one of those bleedin' over the shoulder jobs he does once a match (He does it once in a game and then he has his number marked for the rest of the match, but that "move" is the only thing we see on the highlight reel, not his subsequent ineffectiveness), and what Harte contributes running through the centre or moving off either foot or his own over the shoulder jobbies... Immense.

From what I witnessed over the last 3 years up to this years league the incremental improvement of Tyrone has been joyous to watch.

IMHO the only team that can stop Dublin this year winning Sam. And I think this year may be a year too early. But 2017... That AISF will be epic.

Tyrone for the Anglo-Celt at least.

Going by what Fr Tod wa saying in the Ai thread the winners of Connaght will play the winners of Tyrone so if we can win Ulster we're going to avoid Dublin and Kerry. You'd still have to win the 1/4 against a qualifier before you'd get a lash at Mayo but that would probably be the perfect set up for us this year allowing us to build through the summer.

Going by what Fr Tod wa saying in the Ai thread the winners of Connaght will play the winners of Tyrone so if we can win Ulster we're going to avoid Dublin and Kerry. You'd still have to win the 1/4 against a qualifier before you'd get a lash at Mayo but that would probably be the perfect set up for us this year allowing us to build through the summer.

U v L (Donegal v Dublin)
    M v C (Kerry v Mayo)

U v M (Tyrone* v Kerry) *Monaghan were Ulster Champions but Tyrone beat them in the QF
    L v C (Dublin v Mayo)

U v C (Tyrone v Mayo)
    L v M (Dublin v Cork)

U v L (Tyrone v Dublin)
    M v C (Kerry v Roscommon)

U v M
    L v C

etc... etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

IMHO the only team that can stop Dublin this year winning Sam. And I think this year may be a year too early. But 2017... That AISF will be epic.

Let us know how that one works out.

Sure you'll be at home watching it from the Hills surely?

You boys had your crack at Mayo last year and it didn't go too well if memory serves me. They've gone back this year so whomever does win Ulster will have a great chance to beat them and get into the final.

http://gaeliclife.com/2016/05/joe-brolly-theres-no-london-in-tyrone/

http://gaeliclife.com/2016/05/hard-graft-paying-off-for-tyrones-ronan-oneill/

2 great articles. One from Brolly (who I'm generally not a fan off on TV but his writing amuses me) that's pretty funny and the other about Ronan O'Neill coming though./

• Advertisement

That Brolly article was in the Examiner last week. Decent read.

I have always preferred "There's no London in Tyrone" to our lads go to chant "What's it like to have a Queen?" :P

Lol yeah there's some good bants at Ulster games. I'm desperate to go on Sunday but I have the wee man's communion next weekend so there's tones to do at home and a trip from sligo to derry for a match might not go down too well.

Lol yeah there's some good bants at Ulster games. I'm desperate to go on Sunday but I have the wee man's communion next weekend so there's tones to do at home and a trip from sligo to derry for a match might not go down too well.

I had wanted to head up myself. Might have justified it if it whad been in Healy Park with free board and lift from Fungannon.

Will watch it in Galway in Sunday however. Should be a good ding dong.

Not much point in a match thread for this game I'd say. I haven't seen a single Derry supporter on here yet and there's few enough Tyrone heads too.

Here's the line up...

TYRONE manager Mickey Harte has named his starting 15 for Sunday’s Ulster Championship opener against Derry.

As expected, Rory Brennan misses out with a hamstring injury while the McMahons, Justin and Joe, Conor Meyler and Conor Clarke are not deemed fit enough to start.

Harte was able to name Niall Morgan on the bench though and said that Ronan McNabb is very close to a return.

Tyrone USFC (v Derry): M O’Neill; A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron; T McCann. N Sludden, P Harte; C Cavanagh, M Donnelly; C McShane, M Bradley, R Donnelly; C McAliskey, S Cavanagh, R O’Neill

http://gaeliclife.com/2016/05/tyrone-reveal-starting-15-for-derry-game/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Looking forward to El Classico on Sunday. I expect a big response from Derry after all those recent defeats.

Good to see big Joe back in the frame, was wondering what the story was with him.

Aye Derry will be pumped for this and you'll get the normal hostile reception at Celtic Park. Cannot wait for this one and despite the fact I'm a lifelong diehard Man United fan this is the game I'm most excited about this weekend.

there's a great article on the Indo site from Canavan. I won't link it because I hate that rag and wouldn't normally go into it but someone mentioned it to me but it's well worth a read. Goes through some of his highs and lows against Derry and it really brings it home. Been a long time since we had a big game against them.

Bit if a damp squib on Sunday, was expecting a bit more from Derry. Paddy Bradley was making the point on Off the Ball last night that after playing Tyrone four times in recent months, and Tyrone playing the exact same way each time, Derry still couldn't figure out how to play them. He also thought we had a better squad than Dublin, given the players we can spring off the bench. That'll do nothing to dampen the hype around the team. Hopefully O'Neill can carry on with the goalscoring; that was our undoing against Kerry last year.

Winners of Armagh-Cavan this weekend should provide a stiffer test. I would prefer Armagh, bit of a score to settle with them beating us up a couple of years ago.

Bit if a damp squib on Sunday, was expecting a bit more from Derry. Paddy Bradley was making the point on Off the Ball last night that after playing Tyrone four times in recent months, and Tyrone playing the exact same way each time, Derry still couldn't figure out how to play them. He also thought we had a better squad than Dublin, given the players we can spring off the bench. That'll do nothing to dampen the hype around the team. Hopefully O'Neill can carry on with the goalscoring; that was our undoing against Kerry last year.

Winners of Armagh-Cavan this weekend should provide a stiffer test. I would prefer Armagh, bit of a score to settle with them beating us up a couple of years ago.

O'Neill coming on so well is one of the highlights of the game. McShane also looks like he's going to be an absolute warrior and future captain if he keeps going the right way. Some of the cleanest tackling and ball stealing I've seen in a Tyrone shirt for a long time.

Personally I'd much prefer Cavan but that's personal reasons and I'd say it would make for a more free flowing game. Either should make a tougher game for us but you would be really pissed off if we lost it.

As for Derry not learning anything from Tyrone I think that's best answered in the article from Darragh O Se in the Times this morning.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-wrong-players-make-a-monkey-of-best-manager-1.2659301

They lacked the effort, the runners, the proper defense, the personnel.
    No point having fit players who won’t do what you need them to. I’ve been in dressing rooms with players who are getting instructions and it was obvious that if you could see into their heads like you could with Homer Simpson, there’d be a monkey riding a bicycle across a tightrope. Maybe the monkey would be whistling to himself.

It's taken one of the best managers in the country 8 years since we last won an AI to get us looking like we're in any sort of proper shape again with all the resources we have and all the buy in in the world from the players. Learning from 4 defeats is fine, I'm sure the Derry management team learned loads and probably even have an idea of what they need to do differently but putting that in practice is something else entirely.

Might as well give this bad boy a bump before the final on Sunday. Tickets got though I'm not sure for what part of the ground hopefully the hill again. Heading up from sligo with the missus, the daughter and a Donegal mate. Was saying to the daughter she'll be one of a relatively small group of people who've been to two different provinces finals.

I picked us to win by a couple in the pools thread but I'm in no way confident of that at all. I think McGee back in for them is going to be huge and there's no way well make the same hay running straight up the middle as we did against cavan.

I wouldn't be surprised if mickey has had them for the last two weeks working on long range shooting and especially Morgan with the frees because we will likely have a load of them from just outside the 45. Would love to see us working on a few set piece moves from those long frees to get the ball into a shooting range. Maybe put Sean on anything inside 35.

All in all, excited to be heading to my first Ulster in bloody ages and hopeful for a win. The Ulster title is a big enough prize but the difference in routes to the all Ireland between the winners and losers make this even bigger.

Two different provinces finals? Ever? Or this year?

Don't shout it out but I'll be making the trip to Clones on Sunday rather than Croker. :O Blame Beyonce.

• Advertisement

Might as well give this bad boy a bump before the final on Sunday. Tickets got though I'm not sure for what part of the ground hopefully the hill again. Heading up from sligo with the missus, the daughter and a Donegal mate. Was saying to the daughter she'll be one of a relatively small group of people who've been to two different provinces finals.

Are you in north Sligo? Manorhamilton and across via Belcoo?

Don't shout it out but I'll be making the trip to Clones on Sunday rather than Croker. :O Blame Beyonce.

It's a great day.

I've been to an all of them apart from a Munster final. Munster hurling in semple and a Munster football (Killarney) is definitely on the bucket list.

Ever. I bring them to Sligo games as they were born and reared there so I kinda have to encourage it. She was in McHale Park a few years ago when the Rossies upset the applecart after Sligo beating Galway and Mayo to get to the bloody final.

I know plenty of people have been to multiple provincial finals but they would be in the minority imo. Like what reason would someone from Ulster have to go to an other provinces final unless they live there.
    Are you in north Sligo? Manorhamilton and across via Belcoo?

It's a great day.

I've been to an all of them apart from a Munster final. Munster hurling in semple and a Munster football (Killarney) is definitely on the bucket list.

South Sligo. We tried a new route for the semi final going up though Carrick-on-Shannon, Ballinamore, Ballyconnell. Brutal windy road buy traffic was very light on it and we got right into the wee car park behind the church too which was happy days.

Edit: To my eternal shame I've never been to an intercounty hurling game. I know a few lads who play for Sligo but I've never felt the desire to go watch Sligo or Tyrone hurling. I'll shoot down to Galway for a league game next year and try to catch a championship match at some point.

Absolutely massive game on Sunday. Winning Ulster would be a big achievement in itself, but this year the winners can see a clear path to the AI final. Losers have to climb a mountain to get there.

Difficult one to call; we've been playing well and scoring goals aplenty, but Donegal are a different class from what we've come up against. They've arguably the better forward unit, if Murphy plays up there. Plus our long range free taking leaves a lot to be desired, although it's something they've been working on apparently. Could see it going to a replay.

It's a great day.

Ever. I bring them to Sligo games as they were born and reared there so I kinda have to encourage it. She was in McHale Park a few years ago when the Rossies upset the applecart after Sligo beating Galway and Mayo to get to the bloody final.

I know plenty of people have been to multiple provincial finals but they would be in the minority imo. Like what reason would someone from Ulster have to go to an other provinces final unless they live there.

Haven't done Connacht or Munster.

Why would I ever do Munster? Heaven's above... It would only boil my blood to be at it. Especially in Fitz Stadium.

Love Ulster Final Day hence my attendance. Haven't been since 2010 mind you. It's gonna be a kicker when they eventually move it to Casement. Clones can't be beat for atmosphere on a match day. Only thing that comes close is Dublin v Tyrone/Donegal/Mayo in the Championship.

Absolutely massive game on Sunday. Winning Ulster would be a big achievement in itself, but this year the winners can see a clear path to the AI final. Losers have to climb a mountain to get there.

Difficult one to call; we've been playing well and scoring goals aplenty, but Donegal are a different class from what we've come up against. They've arguably the better forward unit, if Murphy plays up there. Plus our long range free taking leaves a lot to be desired, although it's something they've been working on apparently. Could see it going to a replay.

The prize on offer is absolutely massive in every sense of the word. Not only is it an opportunity to take back the mantle (Tyrone) or to continue to stamp your supremacy (Donegal) but as you say the trip to the AIF is a clearer road.

As I've gotten nearer to the day I'm finding it harder to call. Still think possibly Tyrone by the odd point. (Regardless of what I said in the pools)

Couldn't agree more about clones. I'd advise everyone who's never been to a big game to try over the next few years before it's gone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Those last three points today were brilliant.

When Murphy missed the free the heads went down. Great result very close right up to the end.

Bloody delighted. When Toye came on and made a big difference for Donegal I thought we were done, especially when the penalty wasn't given but thank the lord for Sean Cavanagh. What a man!

IMO that was one of the worst most inconsistent refereeing performances I've ever seen. We had to beat Donegal and the man in black yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

Bloody delighted. When Toye came on and made a big difference for Donegal I thought we were done, especially when the penalty wasn't given but thank the lord for Sean Cavanagh. What a man!

IMO that was one of the worst most inconsistent refereeing performances I've ever seen. We had to beat Donegal and the man in black yesterday.

Well Donegal could also point to a few bad calls yesterday as well. The tackle on McGlynn was a huge call at that time. Not many donegal fans were pointing to a good performance by him (the referee)

Well done to Tyrone though. They were clinical in the last 10 mins.

that was one of the worst most inconsistent refereeing performances I've ever seen. We had to beat Donegal and the man in black yesterday.

I thought he was absolutely shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why aren't Tyrone talking to RTE?

Advertisement