Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just reading through the posts here and then back to what passes for reality......

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/train-driver-hurt-by-dropped-brick-3085449.html

A charge of attempted murder is the only place to begin here IMO....:mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

When it's topmost, the RPSI 171 for 171 tour is running on Saturday and should be 071 powered all the way to Cork and back. If the last few diesel tours are anything to go by, there may be a loco swap down there. Either way, a good day is on the cards :)

Whats the story there, where's it leaving from, what time, where do you get tickets, what carraiges are they bringing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Just reading through the posts here and then back to what passes for reality......

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/train-driver-hurt-by-dropped-brick-3085449.html

A charge of attempted murder is the only place to begin here IMO....:mad:
    What people continually fail to grasp is that all these people of whatever age(5-50) who do things like this are "DAMAGED" and in the not so distant past they would have been incarcerated in mental health institutions or industrial schools for the good of society, Caring for such people in the community as they wreak havoc comes at a huge price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

When it's topmost, the RPSI 171 for 171 tour is running on Saturday and should be 071 powered all the way to Cork and back. If the last few diesel tours are anything to go by, there may be a loco swap down there. Either way, a good day is on the cards :)
    Over on IRN news it gives the impression that it's 171 all the way to cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

roundymac wrote: »
    Over on IRN news it gives the impression that it's 171 all the way to cork.

Link please? I can't see any mention of same :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

RPSI Bulletin (1269) - 18th April 2012
    171 FOR 171

Tickets have been mailed to those who have booked for the tour.

There are still some tickets available and these are available for purchase on the day on board the train.

Tickets are priced at €50 for the return trip to Cork and all money raised form this railtour including Buffet/Bar/Raffle sales will go directly to the restoration of locomotive No.171 “Slieve Gullion”.

The train departs from Pearse Station at 09:45, with arrival into Cork at 13:30. Departure from Cork is at 16:10 with a non-stop return up the mainline, with an arrival shortly after 19:00.

Motive power for the day in the shape of an IÉ 071 diesel locomotive has been requested.

I have no idea how many tickets are still available

I have no idea how many tickets are still available

That is a pretty miserable time for the journey to Cork, They should consider laying on a few Aircoach bus transfers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That is a pretty miserable time for the journey to Cork, They should consider laying on a few Aircoach bus transfers:D

have to give them time to eat their chi... oops and drink their ging.. oh, can't say that either.

nothing to see here, move along, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

For goodness sakes it is a railtour - the whole point is to stop along the way for photos etc.

Journey time is irrelevant.

Is it not possible for you to not make any derogatory comments about anything?

lxflyer wrote: »
    For goodness sakes it is a railtour - the whole point is to stop along the way for photos etc.

Journey time is irrelevant.

Is it not possible for you to not make any derogatory comments about anything?
    Of course I know it is a railtour and will be stopping at loads of stations en-route to allow people climb water towers and bridges and take pictures hence my use of :D

I am all in favour of railtours and tourist attractions on the railway as I see it as a viable future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You mean a spot of trespassing surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

That is a pretty miserable time for the journey to Cork
    how long does it take to route from Heuston to Pearse? Given that Limerick Junction will still be a kip and the 071 won't be able to do more than 90 in the KRP or around Portlaoise 2h50 sounds pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

newmug wrote: »
    Whats the story there, where's it leaving from, what time, where do you get tickets, what carraiges are they bringing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

There were some tickets left earlier in the week anyway. There may be some tickets available on the day, I'd suggest asking at the barrier.

Carriages will be the RPSI Cravens set.

Note it's leaving from Pearse, not Connolly (it's 171 miles from Pearse to Cork, hence the name); it won't be picking up at Connolly on its way through.

dowlingm wrote: »
    how long does it take to route from Heuston to Pearse? Given that Limerick Junction will still be a kip and the 071 won't be able to do more than 90 in the KRP or around Portlaoise 2h50 sounds pretty reasonable.

Pearse-Islandbridge is booked for 19 minutes on the way out. And obviously there's the fact that Cravens wouldn't be timed for the same speed as a mkIV or ICR.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So jealous. :( Wish I knew sooner.

When was the last time an 071 brought a set of craves into kent station ?

Also running round a train into the tunnel hasn't happened that often in cork in the last few years.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    When was the last time an 071 brought a set of craves into kent station ?

Also running round a train into the tunnel hasn't happened that often in cork in the last few years.

Last 071/Craven set into Cork was probably a concert special around the summer of 2006.

Yesterday, the loco didn't run around the train and into the tunnel. We pulled into 5, 4 being kept for the 14, 15 and 16:30 services to Dublin. Once in and the passengers detrained, 079 was released from the consist and made her way into the yard for refueling and watering. Once that was done, 079 came around the back of the station building and onto the up line before shunting onto the set for the trip home.

When Mark 3's stood in for Mark 4's, a loco swap with the standby 201 was usually made for the return trip. The new loco would often be waiting in the tunnel as the ex Dublin arrived in to try and save a bit of time; t'was some sight to be sure.

Last 071/Craven set into Cork was probably a concert special around the summer of 2006.

Yesterday, the loco didn't run around the train and into the tunnel. We pulled into 5, 4 being kept for the 14, 15 and 16:30 services to Dublin. Once in and the passengers detrained, 079 was released from the consist and made her way into the yard for refueling and watering. Once that was done, 079 came around the back of the station building and onto the up line before shunting onto the set for the trip home.

When Mark 3's stood in for Mark 4's, a loco swap with the standby 201 was usually made for the return trip. The new loco would often be waiting in the tunnel as the ex Dublin arrived in to try and save a bit of time; t'was some sight to be sure.

Okay sorry but it did go from one end of the train to the other though. I was there for the whole time the train was there,and the cravens looked very well(especially the blue) and it seemed like a very well run day.

Okay sorry but it did go from one end of the train to the other though. I was there for the whole time the train was there,and the cravens looked very well(especially the blue) and it seemed like a very well run day.

079 did yeah, just not in the one movement and around the train as would have been the norm.

I wonder aloud, were you the gentleman with three happy kids and an equally happy grandfather?

079 did yeah, just not in the one movement and around the train as would have been the norm.

I wonder aloud, were you the gentleman with three happy kids and an equally happy grandfather?

This what I meant to say. Nope not me. Was the water being pumped into the coaches because they are steam heated and water turns to steam ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

This what I meant to say. Nope not me. Was the water being pumped into the coaches because they are steam heated and water turns to steam ?

No that water was for toilets, all the water for steam heating goes into the guards van at the end of the set.

There wasn't too many people there to meet us so I was wondering if it was you; that said it's nice when we see a few people to come welcome us as we arrive into a station.

The carriages were taking on water for the catering carriage, the bar and the on board toilets. The water for the steam heating is fed into the brake van; it wasn't needed yesterday as it was a warm day. The van still would need some water for the generator motor as well as some water in case the heating needs to be turned on during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

071 worked the Ballina-Waterford timber today crossing 086 with the N.Wall-Ballina IWT liner in Claremorris at 5pm

Around 10 minutes later 072 with the empty timber train for Westport crossed 071 with the laden

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

084 passed through Clongriffin at 14:30 with a laden tara. It must be in good health if it's on taras.

Also for the past 2 weeks there seems to be a speed restriction through Clongriffin station. There has been engineering works going on almost every night after the last two trains pass which is an empty tara and and empty DART back to Fairview and work goes on till around 4am.

On Friday night the two buffer stops at each end of the passing loop at the station were removed and the ballast was spread around more evenly. I take it the new signaling system must be near ready then.

071 is stabled in Ballina today attached to the DFDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

071 on the six-one news tonight near Athlone. On the rte player 2min 17 sec in. link

083 worked the Ballina-Waterford timber today....(217 worked the empty timber to Westport while 080 worked the Nwall-Ballina IWT.Also the sprayer is heading West next week,try and get some photos!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

084 passed through Clongriffin at 14:30 with a laden tara. It must be in good health if it's on taras.

Also for the past 2 weeks there seems to be a speed restriction through Clongriffin station. There has been engineering works going on almost every night after the last two trains pass which is an empty tara and and empty DART back to Fairview and work goes on till around 4am.

On Friday night the two buffer stops at each end of the passing loop at the station were removed and the ballast was spread around more evenly. I take it the new signaling system must be near ready then.

The ballooning price of Zinc in the last few years has made mining zinc extremely profitable recently. Plus Boliden have tapped into previously unknown reserves. So its all go at Navan for the mines.

By proxy, the 071s should be kept going with the occasional ore train from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I was on the coast road between Skerries and Balbriggan earlier and 084 passed light heading towards Dublin circa 9pm. The green RPSI craven set hauled by 230 went in the same direction around 10 minutes beforehand. It looked really well!

Advertisement