Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos - you're on the ball - 11.15 approx this morning - 084 and 12 wagons.

I caught it at Clontarf Road at 11:26 by pure fluke. Just managed to get a quick snap with my phone while I was running up stairs to catch a north bound DART.
    IMAG0015.jpg

081 passed through Raheny at 11:22 today with a short laden tara train.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hence why they won't shut them down overnight.

Back in the day when there was a lot more duties for a loco to do, they were let idle as it allowed one to be called swiftly onto another duty as the need arose without the need to have to start and warm up, which wears down any engine. They are being shut down a lot more nowadays as fuel prices rocket up and their duties dwindle; sometimes a loco can sit for several days without need for being moved!

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i have a vid of her cold starting but i am unsure how to load it. It started first turn . I was under the impression this was not the case with these trains

This I have to see! Can help you upload it if you like. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Karsini wrote: »
    This I have to see! Can help you upload it if you like. :)

I got it. Its nothing much as I was suposed to be working and just caught it. Quality is not great:(. It really did start within the first second of the starter motor turn. And away he went 2 mins after. No warm up.

Slow due to bridge construction speed limit . This was disappointing. I wanted to hear her roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Would i be right in saying there wasnt an 071 in Galway since last years Weed Spray? Great Photos and posts .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Would i be right in saying there wasnt an 071 in Galway since last years Weed Spray? Great Photos and posts .

I dont know. Its the first one I have seen there , and I have been working there for 4 months. The yard get filled with parked 22000 trains each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I got it. Its nothing much as I was suposed to be working and just caught it. Quality is not great:(. It really did start within the first second of the starter motor turn. And away he went 2 mins after. No warm up.

Slow due to bridge construction speed limit . This was disappointing. I wanted to hear her roar.

That loco was not turned off for long. Any diesel starting up from cold lets off of exhaust and is way way louder than that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I dont know. Its the first one I have seen there , and I have been working there for 4 months. The yard get filled with parked 22000 trains each night.

Speaking of the 22ks. I was in heuston last thursday and it was 22ks central as every train in heuston at half three was a 22k and not a loco of any description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The morning laden Tara (084 + 12) passed through Harmonstown at around 10.50 this morning catching me on the hop as I had just reached the platform. Loco a lot quieter than usual !!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V0RMlbmWq4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

084 might look a bit rough but still sounds great going by this video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

071 in Waterford and I didn't get a clear view of the number but think 079 which hauled a failed Mark4 + Loco from plat 5 to the sidings of plt 8 after a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

072 was in Athy Friday morning on the DFDS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great sound from 082 here,what a beast!

No other 071 sounds like 082. It's a while since I've heard her on the taras. I just hear that howl and I know it's 082 before I even see it. The new horns though are just woeful, sounds like they got them off a clowns bike.

No other 071 sounds like 082. It's a while since I've heard her on the taras. I just hear that howl and I know it's 082 before I even see it. The new horns though are just woeful, sounds like they got them off a clowns bike.

082 was stopped for a while getting some work done, she's obviously back with a vengeance. :D

084 still going strong. Passed Clongriffin at 20:30 with 12 laden and just passed back again at 23:40 with the empties, great rumble from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

084 still going strong. Passed Clongriffin at 20:30 with 12 laden and just passed back again at 23:40 with the empties, great rumble from it.

Pity it looks like it was rolled over a few times.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Pity it looks like it was rolled over a few times.

It's not too bad if you compare it to the state 207 and 230 are currently in and they see more of the paying customers.

Besides the 071s should have a good bit of grime on them, goes with the look and sound. Plus 084 has the honour as the last 071 to operate in revenue service still in IE orange.

080,with a very hoarse hooter worked the Westport-Waterford timber today.

It's not too bad if you compare it to the state 207 and 230 are currently in and they see more of the paying customers.

Besides the 071s should have a good bit of grime on them, goes with the look and sound. Plus 084 has the honour as the last 071 to operate in revenue service still in IE orange.

I heard a few years ago that 207 is technically out of gauge. Not sure if it still is or not.

• Advertisement

Yesterday 084 passed north through Clongriffin LE at 13:40.

Today at 13:20 an un-ID'ed 071 passed south very slowly through Clongriffin with 7 spoil and 3 flat track panel wagons. I'd say that's to do with the track work on the bay platform at Drogheda. 076 was on that run last week.

084 passed by after at 13:50 with a laden tara, they are all getting signal checked before HJ so they are all crawling today.

084 on the same tara link again tonight. Bang on 20:30 at Clongriffin but was later returning with the empties, passing by at 00:17.

084 on the same tara link again tonight. Bang on 20:30 at Clongriffin but was later returning with the empties, passing by at 00:17.

A very grubby 081 with this lovely summer storm we're having passed through Killester at 20:05 and back through Clongriffin at 23:30. A good few ex works wagons in the rake of 12.

088 in Carlow this evening with autoblasters and by the looks of things it was preparing to depart.

On friday,079 hauled the Westport-Waterford timber.209 worked the North-Wall-Ballina IWT Liner. Noted both passing through MJ(Manulla Junction).

086 in Waterford this afternooon.

Why is 082 the only 071 to have been picked out solely to have received it's own name?

072 on Liners.084 Tara's.075 Inchicore.083 noted at Inchicore too.074 noted in Inchicore bogie shop.(215 also in for new bogies atm and 227 also in,225's rebuild is still ongoing but nearly there. The likes of MK3 Executive 7162 are also at Inchicore with loads of Grafitti and doors left wide open).

079 worked the Waterford Ballina DFDS liner today. 230 worked the N.Wall-Ballina IWT liner noted crossing 209 which worked the Westport-Waterford timber train which departed Westport at 1620.082 noted at Northwall.

• Advertisement

209 which worked the Westport-Waterford timber train which departed Westport at 1620.

209 didn't go all the way to Waterford because there was an 071 bringing the laden timber through Athy around 22:25 tonight.I couldn't get the number though.If anyone knows which loco it was i'd be very grateful!

Advertisement