Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

Victor wrote: »
    Can we lay off the snideness please?

I think you also missed the emphasis of that post.

oh sorry i was just correcting somebody who didnt read my post correctly thanks for pointing that out to me anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

former inchicore apprentice - banned.

Mayo checker - temporarily banned.

Less of the silliness please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Fairly filthy 086 with a rake of empty timber wagons in Clonmel staion this morning waiting to pass the Waterford train.

No camera with me of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

101sean wrote: »
    Fairly filthy 086 with a rake of empty timber wagons in Clonmel staion this morning waiting to pass the Waterford train.

No camera with me of course :rolleyes:

Get a mobile with a decent camera then you will always have one with you:P. My Nokia N8 has a 12 megapixel camera and takes some pretty decent pictures.

Got one on my phone but it's hopeless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

101sean wrote: »
    Where would they be off to? Limerick for servicing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Was it a full rake 101sean? 083 returned 2 wagons from Inchicore to Limerick yesterday. Meanwhile,yesterday,226 worked the laden timber train from Ballina crossing 073 with an empty timber train to Ballina in Claremorris at 5pm.Empty timber train to Westport this evening.

Didn't get a chance to see, 086 was off the end of the platform with wagons off behind the goods shed. Was in a hurry or I'd have got out and had a wander (and listen!) while the trains passed.

I reckon they were heading to Limerick for maintenance, was around 9.45 this morning.

Today,077 and 085 were at Inchicore(077 there a while now to....)075 was noted with sleepers for Clonmel,071 on relay train at Limerick Junction,073 Ballina-Waterford timber,080 was on Northwall-Ballina IWT liner.083 is in Ballina yard attached to DFDS liner.Great to see them busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A video of one of those locos being started would be a god send!

Any drivers willing to make a cab video? It would be lovely to have some 1080p cab videos. Or the ultimate...Any drivers willing to let me have a spin in an 071? I was lucky enough when I was a nipper to be allowed in A classes, 121's, 181's, 141's. But it broke my heart that I never got a go in the ultimate...The 071 class.

071 driver's pm me! I'll buy dinner!

• Advertisement

Today,077 and 085 were at Inchicore(077 there a while now to....)075 was noted with sleepers for Clonmel,071 on relay train at Limerick Junction,073 Ballina-Waterford timber,080 was on Northwall-Ballina IWT liner.083 is in Ballina yard attached to DFDS liner.Great to see them busy.
    wow u must have travelled some distance to see all that in 1 day.

wow you just have travelled some distance to see that in 1 day ,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wow you just have travelled some distance to see that in 1 day ,,,,,
    wow u must have travelled some distance to see all that in 1 day.

Which part of "Less of the silliness please" didn't you get?

Victor wrote: »
    Which part of "Less of the silliness please" didn't you get?
    nothin silly about it it was only a question i asked about travellin the distance that that person did to see what he did in 1 day ..maybe i might try it sometime and go to all them locations in the 1 day ....so i dont see anythin silly in wonderin how it was done ....sorry victor if you do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 starhillroad

Mayo checker

Oddly enough, despite the slightly malign tone almost brewing in the thread, a trip between Dublin and Limerick Junction by an enthusiast should see those locomotives and trains observed.

Thats an educated guess. Kildare would be a key crossing and reversal point for the Ballina-Waterford liner. If the Northern (Athenry-Claremorris) section of the Limerick-Claremorris line was open, then it could also be seen at Limerick Junction. The sleeper train for Clonmel - also likely at Limerick Junction.

He mentions being at Ballina. Its likely he has what is called "Gen" or information on the moves from other enthusiasts. With the Internet age, news can flow very rapidly indeed.

Praetorian

Any drivers willing to let me have a spin in an 071?

- Regulation wise, it is less and less likely to have a cab ride, or get a cab pass. There are ways, but those applying have to know procedures a great deal more. Iarnrod Eireann is not as 'relaxed' was it was pre 2000's, there is a lot more accountability and less 'fun and games' than the past. There was a time when drivers would be delighted to let an enthusiast in. These days, due to legal regulations, a much more traffic dense network in terms of passenger, and being much more safety conscious it might not be possible.

Allowing civilians into a locomotive these days without a permit could run the risk of a driver getting into disciplinary action. Love it or loathe it, its the way the system has evolved. Iarnrod Eireann and its staff have to protect themselves from adverse publicity, justified or not. Drivers do take pride in their job, and its not as simple as it looks, especially when schedules can be much tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

I've posted in the pics thread a photo of two 071's in Clonmel this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Mayo checker

Praetorian

Any drivers willing to let me have a spin in an 071?

- Regulation wise, it is less and less likely to have a cab ride, or get a cab pass. There are ways, but those applying have to know procedures a great deal more. Iarnrod Eireann is not as 'relaxed' was it was pre 2000's, there is a lot more accountability and less 'fun and games' than the past. There was a time when drivers would be delighted to let an enthusiast in. These days, due to legal regulations, a much more traffic dense network in terms of passenger, and being much more safety conscious it might not be possible.

Allowing civilians into a locomotive these days without a permit could run the risk of a driver getting into disciplinary action. Love it or loathe it, its the way the system has evolved. Iarnrod Eireann and its staff have to protect themselves from adverse publicity, justified or not. Drivers do take pride in their job, and its not as simple as it looks, especially when schedules can be much tighter.

I know exactly what your talking about. Health & safety and all that. When I was a kid in the early 90's Irish Rail were a bit more relaxed. As I said, I was lucky enough to get a good few cab rides. Will always remember the 121/141's struggling to pull those push n pull's. Far too much weight for such tiny engines. I also have a very vivid memory of being in the cab of an a class in autumn from connolly towards greystones. Massive wheel slippage as that old loco struggled for grip! The 171 locos in my part of the world then were all on the Dublin-Belfast service, and for some reason those drivers were stricter. Perhaps because of the security situation in the North. Sitting in the cab belting down the tracks from Dublin even as far as Drogheda is a dream I never got to realise! :(

076 Crosses Class leader in Claremorris,June 2011....247488_230853706931760_100000213968608_1087693_7851837_n.jpg

And an Orange 077 in Westport

Two 071s in Clonmel this morning on pway trains, one still there this evening. I was working so no time to check which ones. Lot of pway activity recently, probably a sign of impending closure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I know exactly what your talking about. Health & safety and all that. When I was a kid in the early 90's Irish Rail were a bit more relaxed. As I said, I was lucky enough to get a good few cab rides. Will always remember the 121/141's struggling to pull those push n pull's. Far too much weight for such tiny engines. I also have a very vivid memory of being in the cab of an a class in autumn from connolly towards greystones. Massive wheel slippage as that old loco struggled for grip! The 171 locos in my part of the world then were all on the Dublin-Belfast service, and for some reason those drivers were stricter. Perhaps because of the security situation in the North. Sitting in the cab belting down the tracks from Dublin even as far as Drogheda is a dream I never got to realise! frown.gif

I got a spin in one a few years ago and I picked a good day as I was in 3 differenct loco.

Waterford-Kilkenny in a 071 loco then it failed when it was going around to change ends.
    Kilkenny-Heuston in a 201 loco (sent from Waterford) and this also failed between Athy and Cherryville.
    Cherryville in a 071 (send from a freight train in Kildare) to Dublin.

101sean-Locos most probably 071 and 075....try and get a pict ot two!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

There is track works taken place between Clomnel - Limerick J last week and this week so that may be why they are there.

079 on the front of last years weed spray train

And 073 in Claremorris with a Rail train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

079 on the front of last years weed spray train
    What do the stripey plates on the loco mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's effectively a hazard warning as the chemicals being sprayed may be harmful if you came in contact with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

I think they are to warn/indicate to permanent way workers on the track of the spraying nature of the train. The boards are somewhat iconic with the train, having been used in every weed campaign since 1978. Edit: Beaten to the post. :D

079 arrives into Claremorris at a good pace with the Empty Timber for Westport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

073 and 083 on the Navan branch at Drogheda Station today.

P1160002-1.jpg

Advertisement