Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE's 071 Class.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

078 should be next out,i stress should.087 has many a month to go in Inchicore if it comes out at all.A last working date for 078 would be nice if somebody had one.I recall it completly shutting down several times with a liner on the Ballina branch shorty before it disappeared off to Inchicore.

A failed 078 left in Claremorris

081 leaves the Ballina branch onto the Westport-Dublin line with a Ballina-Waterford timber

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I saw 083 today still on the taras. Rumbled north through Killester at 13:50 with just 7 empties. They usually have 10-12, I wonder are some of the tara wagons in Limerick for some bogie and body work.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

078 should be next out,i stress should.087 has many a month to go in Inchicore if it comes out at all.A last working date for 078 would be nice if somebody had one.I recall it completly shutting down several times with a liner on the Ballina branch shorty before it disappeared off to Inchicore.

I apologise if this may seem like a blatantly obvious question but are they actually refurbishing the 071s that they chose not to overhaul previously? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well the plan was,going back a few years the 18 of them were to be painted regardless. 12 were to be re-engined,081 was the first done and to emerge in Silver and Black. off the top of my head 072,076 and 085 were just painted and never re-engined,although 076 got a second hand engine years previous.That left 077,078,084 and 087 at the time working in Orange. Now we hear 087 is getting a full body overhaul,this a result of the state the other painted 071s have gone into only a few years after painting.The fact is they need them and if the lack of attention continues from IE there will be more and more failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Pity IE wouldn't put a photographer into Inchicore to create an article like this:
    http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/capital-investment/article/f40-story-position-2-primed-progress

Same prime mover family too (EMD 645), although the F40 is a 16valve plus that new generator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

dowlingm wrote: »
    Same prime mover family too (EMD 645), although the F40 is a 16valve plus that new generator :D

That photo reminds of me of the saying about the old broom without any original parts left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hungerford wrote: »
    That photo reminds of me of the saying about the old broom without any original parts left.
    10 handles and 16 new heads. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I just heard a 071 thundering past the end of my parents garden near Sandycove, on full throttle at 0030 am. Something that I have not heard in a good long time. :)

• Advertisement

Locos 080 and 079 were resting in Ballina at 8pm this evening.088 is working a Ballast train which is stabled in Ballyhaunis.

081 worked the Waterford-Westport empty timber train today

and 079 worked the Ballina-Waterford laden timber train

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

An 071 went through Clonmel towards Limerick 9.30ish today with 3 empty timber wagons and probably the same one back again towards Waterford 2 hours later with another 3 timber wagons (I assume not the same ones!).

Too far away to get numbers and I was waving a chainsaw around anyway so shouldn't even have been looking :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

Waterford-Ballina - 079 - DFDS liner
    Ballina-Waterford - 080 - DFDS liner
    Waterford-Westport - 075 - empty timer service
    Westport-Waterford - 081 - timer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

075 seen in claremorris today light engine it must have travelled up there today from westport it worked an empty timber to westport ,,

Must be an April fool Mayo Checker as 075 is in Westport since 7.20 pm Friday and shut down.

075 shunting its timber train back down Westport yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

080 was in Carlow with autoblasters. last noted there on Monday 10 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    080 was in Carlow with autoblasters. last noted there on Monday 10 April.

You mean like this? http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/11/robert-farago/megahouse-auto-blaster-for-the-rubber-band-man-rubber-band-man/ :pac:

• Advertisement

075 is stabled in Claremorris over the weekend with an empty timber train for Westport

and here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The sound, the sound. Bliss, I could fall asleep to this. The last 071 I heard was at 22.30 on Saturday heading north to Drogheda LE. Bring on the week of taras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

075 is stabled in Claremorris over the weekend with an empty timber train for Westport
    075, is'nt that the engine that was involved in the Buttavent tragady?

roundymac wrote: »
    075, is'nt that the engine that was involved in the Buttavent tragady?

Yep, it was 075 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

Amazing to think that over 30 years on this engine is still running.
    was it damaged in any way in the buttevant incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Only the Front plates were damaged on 075.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

Only the Front plates were damaged on 075.

Forgive my ignorance, but are the front plates the same as the buffers?
    im assuming these hit the buffers in the siding so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

Forgive my ignorance, but are the front plates the same as the buffers?
    im assuming these hit the buffers in the siding so?

As I recall the locomotive just derailed and stopped some distance forward of the points. It never went into the sidings and was only slightly damaged.butte.jpg?id=7001950

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

When it's topmost, the RPSI 171 for 171 tour is running on Saturday and should be 071 powered all the way to Cork and back. If the last few diesel tours are anything to go by, there may be a loco swap down there. Either way, a good day is on the cards :)

Advertisement