Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/555297158274899968

I say yes. We've lost too many potential Irish indie Wrestlers to MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best wishes to "Dirty" Den Siver tonight against that national disgrace that is the Dub with the Yank accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's on in Boston so he'll be right at home with a mangled accent.
    Cerrone vs Henderson is a more interesting fight for me. But if McGregor wins isn't there going to be a Dublin stadium show?

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's on in Boston so he'll be right at home with a mangled accent.
    Cerrone vs Henderson is a more interesting fight for me. But if McGregor wins isn't there going to be a Dublin stadium show?

Croke Park has been more than a rumour for months. Some people mentioned he Aviva also.

BUT Dana White seems to have changed his tune this morning. Saying the title fight would be in Vegas.

UFC has always worried about it raining in Ireland and there's loads of logistical considerations with the curfew in Croker. Also the matter of selling enough tickets.

Dana is bluffing. As if an All-Ireland/six nations game was not flooded with rain before. They just don't have the research done to commit to even the Aviva as a venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As if an All-Ireland/six nations game was not flooded with rain before.

*facepalm*

Remove that facepalm bae and gis some facts. Happy to admit I'm wrong once it's after about 2002. Fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Remove that facepalm bae and gis some facts. Happy to admit I'm wrong once it's after about 2002. Fire ahead.

I assume it's cause they can't have a fight in the rain due to slippy conditions and how would they get a submission if both fighters are soaking wet.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I assume it's cause they can't have a fight in the rain due to slippy conditions and how would they get a submission if both fighters are soaking wet.
    If that poster thought that I thought they'd have a mudwrestling match by the Hill they'd be warranted not posting in this forum again tbh

• Advertisement

Looking forward to read about the post fight to the main event being BAD FOR THE SPORT and all that craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

If that poster thought that I thought they'd have a mudwrestling match by the Hill they'd be warranted not posting in this forum again tbh

e9a2295b3db9b45c8f5484a09033c1c71cf88e3375bb7ff60456bc81c29a4e04.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

rovert wrote: »
    Looking forward to read about the post fight to the main event being BAD FOR THE SPORT and all that craic

Found it massively entertaining myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

rovert wrote: »
    Croke Park has been more than a rumour for months. Some people mentioned he Aviva also.

BUT Dana White seems to have changed his tune this morning. Saying the title fight would be in Vegas.

UFC has always worried about it raining in Ireland and there's loads of logistical considerations with the curfew in Croker. Also the matter of selling enough tickets.

The only thing that matters, and why this fight was NEVER a goer, is PPV. Unless they could put the fight on at 3am, it was never happening in Ireland.

bur wrote: »
    The only thing that matters, and why this fight was NEVER a goer, is PPV. Unless they could put the fight on at 3am, it was never happening in Ireland.

Too many fights already available for free around that time of the night :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

How was the flight won by a k.o. Your man was just on the ground and got up after the bell went.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Which fight?

An File wrote: »
    Which fight?
    McGregor fight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cena wrote: »
    McGregor fight

It wasn't a knock-out. He won by TKO.

How was the flight won by a k.o. Your man was just on the ground and got up after the bell went.

Think its classed as a technical knock out....damn all fights end via a KO.
    Despite claims by fighters to knock out their opponents most fights end via ref stoppages due to an accumulation of strikes

• Advertisement

The flight could of went on for a few more rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The flight could of went on for a few more rounds.

No it couldnt. He wasnt defending himself so thats the end of it (and covering your head and praying the man hitting you goes away isnt defending).
    Anymore would have been dangerous and unnecessary damage. Fighters welfare comes 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No it couldn't. Siver was on the deck and couldn't defend himself. It was absolutely the right call unless you want brain damaged fighters. McGregor made handy work of him .

Doubt it. Siver was in trouble if they were stood back up, and a fair few people reckon McGregor was looking tired too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ha snap Prof :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

An File wrote: »
    Doubt it. Siver was in trouble if they were stood back up, and a fair few people reckon McGregor was looking tired too.

Not seeing the tired thing myself. He used more energy jumping out and in of the cage then the rest of the fight. Didnt even look to be breathing heavily when he finished it

Not seeing the tired thing myself. He used more energy jumping out and in of the cage then the rest of the fight. Didnt even look to be breathing heavily when he finished it

Same here. I watched the fight again 2 hours ago and saw no evidence of it. A lot of spoofers are trying to knock the guy today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Siver looked terrified the minute the bell went and Mcgregor was in total control throughout any one doubting the dominance of his win needs there heads examined , Aldo will attack him though unlike the others who haven't even had a chance to

Siver looked terrified the minute the bell went and Mcgregor was in total control throughout any one doubting the dominance of his win needs there heads examined , Aldo will attack him though unlike the others who haven't even had a chance to

Tbh Siver was a tin can who McGregor was expected to beat at a canter.
    I'm not 100% sure if Connor is in line for the next title shot but he didn't earn it by beating Siver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbh Siver was a tin can who McGregor was expected to beat at a canter.
    I'm not 100% sure if Connor is in line for the next title shot but he didn't earn it by beating Siver.

The post match press conference by the owner seemed to indicate a title shot in May in Los Vegas.

*Edit*

If I remember correctly, he also indicated that a full 90k Croke Park would make less money than a Los Vegas fight due to logistics and other factors (he didn't elaborate). He also said other takings (PPV I guess) are generally down 25 - 30% when they are held outside the USA.

Advertisement