Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options
  • 29-01-2012 4:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

UFC was a bit meh tonite. Evans easily handled Davis which was predictable. Sonnen's promo after the match must of been hard to watch for mma diehards cause it made me cringe at how lame and dated it was. I thought Bisping won the first two rounds but when it went to decision I wasn't shocked at who got the decision (30-27 my arse). Maia vs Weidmann was such a chore to watch. Jon Jones is such a arrogant prick that I turned it off when he was waving his wand at the end of the show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

R.I.P UFC. Surely the end of MMA as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm sorry for Spoiling the UFC fites but if anyone couldn't predict last nites results you must not watch it much. Ufc were practically advertising the title fights before the contender fights even happened. Don't think its a spoiler calling Jon Jones a smug prick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

GTR63 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for Spoiling the UFC fites but if anyone couldn't predict last nites results you must not watch it much. Ufc were practically advertising the title fights before the contender fights even happened. Don't think its a spoiler calling Jon Jones a smug prick

i dont watch UFC, other than the odd big fights.
    But could there be an ever so slight chance that ufc is predetermined in some sense?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Split this off from the Off-Topic thread. There are shows practically every week so there's always something to talk about, and the chances of getting results spoiled drops to zero (on pwboards anyway :P)

I'll catch yesterday's UFC at some point, just to see Sonnen fight. He's awesome on the mic. Shame WWE wouldn't let CM Punk walk him to the ring. Maybe if the news never got out (or at least until the day of) he could've done it. Even awesomer would be if the next night (Rumble) Sonnen walked Punk to the ring for his match! They're both straight edge, right?

CMpunked wrote: »
    i dont watch UFC, other than the odd big fights.
    But could there be an ever so slight chance that ufc is predetermined in some sense?

No but lets put it this way UFC likes everything to fall into place for them so it doesn't give them a headache. It would of made more sense to do Evans vs Henderson last nite cause even if Davis won last nite(VERY unlikely) he wouldn't be getting a shot. If Evans lost Hendo was getting the shot. Personally I thought Bisping beat Sonnen in the first two rounds last nite(even Rogan said he felt Chael had to finish him* in the 3rd to win the fight) he didn't but Sonnen got a strange unanimous decision win.

*Sonnen finishing someone LOL

• Advertisement

Quite a mixed nite of fites. Enjoyed Werdum vs Big Country and Diaz vs Condit. Diaz' childish post fight interview was a real sight. I don't need this **** indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

SOMEONE THINK OF THE BUYRATES.

Kind of pleased Diaz lost.

Diaz is sooooooooooooooooooooooo whacky and craaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzy

He has that cabbage class cred

Complete GEEK~! for being such a sore loser

• Advertisement

Your mistaking him for Balotelli who at times is a loveable scamp.

SLAMPAGE.gif

Not even a two count

rovert wrote: »

His arm bent at a crazy angle there. He said he was out for a few seconds.
    Rampage is pretty much burned out though.

Watched most of UFC in Japan tonite,bar the main event. Couldn't of been bothered watching Raw when I had this to catch up on. Can't believe that Boetsh ko'd Okami and that Mark Hunt ran through Kongo that easily, I reckon UFC will have Hunt fight Big Country next. Have to say Rampage was poor, he looked soft(+ missed weight) and Hendo was right all he was there for was to pick up his cheque. I expected him to lose beforehand and then retire but he'll stick around in the stagnant 205lb division that badly needs a injection of youth and hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

What's the latest on the Brazil stadium show? I heard for a long time that it was to be held in the Morumbi, then recently I've heard it's going to be moved to the Pacembu. Morumbi is twice as big as Pacembu.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The venue hasn't been announced offically. But Dana has said that it is June in Sau Paulo.
    Pacembu, including pitch seating would still be the second biggest UFC event ever. Maybe even the biggest

New series of TUF is starting tonite on espn at 2 am. Think this Season all the fights are live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

New series of TUF is starting tonite on espn at 2 am. Think this Season all the fights are live.

Yeah can't wait. 16 1 round fights in the first episode, should be some decent KO's!

Ha Todd Grisham hosting MMA Live, was wondering where he went.

Yeah can't wait. 16 1 round fights in the first episode, should be some decent KO's!

Ha Todd Grisham hosting MMA Live, was wondering where he went.

Yeah and Pat Miletich with a bad dye job. Dana White looks a LOT like Steve Stone who used to play for Nottingham Forest. Where is the Ultimate Fighterrrrrrr voiceover guy?

As expected, two long-awaited
    rematches will co- headline the
    UFC's return to Brazil. Officials today announced that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will rematch Chael Sonnen, and "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" coaches
    Wanderlei Silva and Vitor Belfort also
    will meet again at UFC 147.
    UFC 147 takes place June 23 at Joao
    Havelange Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. It's expected to set a new UFC record attendance.
    This Evans vs Jones, Mir vs Velasquez & Overeem vs Cigano is something to look forward to & makes up for the rubbish trilogy rubber match between Ortiz vs Griffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

UFC 147 takes place June 23 at Joao
    Havelange Stadium in Rio de Janeiro. It's expected to set a new UFC record attendance.

Gorgeous stadium, though Morumbi is almost twice as big and would have easily accommodated 100,000+. Why did they switch cities from Sao Paulo to Rio?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Charisteas wrote: »
    Gorgeous stadium, though Morumbi is almost twice as big and would have easily accommodated 100,000+. Why did they switch cities from Sao Paulo to Rio?

I think it was licensing issue. Not licensing an MMA event (obviously) but rather an event that large, late at night etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Overeem's a fúcking idiot, but it was only a matter of time till he was caught.

Can see him getting cut soon, Dana isn't pleased about it, to put it mildly.

Was really looking forward to the fight and all :(

Brock would have been in like Flynn if he stayed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Overeem's a fúcking idiot, but it was only a matter of time till he was caught.

Can see him getting cut soon, Dana isn't pleased about it, to put it mildly.

Was really looking forward to the fight and all :(

What happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Alaska1 wrote: »
    What happened ?

he didnt pass a drug test

Alaska1 wrote: »
    What happened ?

Overeem failed a drug test, due to elevated levels of testosterone. I hate the way Dana white brings **** like this back to him "oh shît like this always happens to me". What age is he 8? He must be to wear those dickhouse shirts. Looking at Overeem you know he ain't legit he is hardly built from Marble for fúck sake. Rovert is right they'd be pulling up Lesnar off the couch if he'd of known this sooner. Wonder does Dana regret the endorsment now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Who else could they replace overeem with, or is the ppv too close for someone to take the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Who else could they replace overeem with, or is the ppv too close for someone to take the fight?

Frank Mir probably deserves the shot. Werdum and Mark Hunt are options too.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »

Mir or Cain.

Mir very quickly set the bandwagon off:
    I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his 'A' sample drug test are true.

I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream.

Advertisement