Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gsp

Good call, but imo, GSP lost to Serra though and while it motivated him to become even better it's still a weak loss. Cormier's only ever lost to a guy who many thought was the going to be the goat in Jones. GSP also never took on Silva which I'd hold against him too when we're talking about legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Good call, but imo, GSP lost to Serra though and while it motivated him to become even better it's still a weak loss. Cormier's only ever lost to a guy who many thought was the going to be the goat in Jones. GSP also never took on Silva which I'd hold against him too when we're talking about legacy

Gsp did it when everyone was juiced off their tits, never tested positive and left the sport partially because of the weak testing and anyone can lose to a perfectly placed punch and that's all it was. I'd have Fedor as a better fighter who should of really been a lhw also. Plenty of fighters were probably better

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

That really was some of the carniest WWE nonsense I’ve ever seen. Showing Brock walking down to ringside just before the main event was a great touch. From the moment Cormier grabbed the mic off Joe Rogan it was pure pro wrestling promos. Cormier is a big wrestling fan himself so I’d say he was loving doing all of that. I like Cormier too so it’ll be nice to see him get a huge payday so long as the fight does go ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Don't know much about Cormier tbh, but reading up on him tonight, he seems to like pro wrestling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/8x6760/daniel_cormier_marks_out_over_seth_rollins_heist/

Here's a video of him celebrating Rollins cash in on Brock, marking out at Mania.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I read recently he said that Brock was always nice to him and his family at events, so I guess he's been to a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

DC is a huge pro wrestling fan. Considered getting into pro wrestling after the olympics, even did some on a very small level in California according to Meltzer.

Brock has to be in the testing pool exactly 6 months before he can fight. He retired with about 5 months left on his suspension, however USADA has a rule whereby fighters who retire only to come back later must be tested for 6 months before they can do. This prevents fake retirements which people could theoretically do just to get gassed to the gills and then come back to the sport. Brock was very savvy in realising that by retiring with 5 months left, he could save himself the hassle of all that testing given he had no plans to fight anyway and was in effect just postponing the suspension to complete it at a time that suited him better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,031 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Monokne wrote: »
    This prevents fake retirements which people could theoretically do just to get gassed to the gills and then come back to the sport.
    It doesn't really prevent it though.
    Somebody can still "retire" and get gassed to the gills when untested, and comeback with the benefits.
    6 months tested doesn't change that.

Mellor wrote: »
    It doesn't really prevent it though.
    Somebody can still "retire" and get gassed to the gills when untested, and comeback with the benefits.
    6 months tested doesn't change that.

I'm sorry but what? You think if I do a steroid cycle now, go back in the testing pool in a week, stay clean and fight in a month, that the benefits I gain will be functionally the same as if I do a cycle now, get back in the pool in a month, stay clean and fight in SEVEN months? :confused:

People do things continously out of necessity. If one cycle of HGH or stanazolol or one of these drugs benefited you for half a year, the world would be a very different place. There'd be a lot less dead wrestlers for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Figured I'd post this here, give the thread a bump, Lesnar's return to UFC has been confirmed.... But he has to finish his ban first.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/44783292
    Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will be eligible to return from a drugs ban in January 2019.

The 40-year-old has re-entered the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) drug testing pool and can compete in UFC after his ban expires early next year.

I'm sorry but what? You think if I do a steroid cycle now, go back in the testing pool in a week, stay clean and fight in a month, that the benefits I gain will be functionally the same as if I do a cycle now, get back in the pool in a month, stay clean and fight in SEVEN months? :confused:
    You need slow down and read more carefully. Have another crack and if you are still confused I'll explain.
    People do things continously out of necessity. If one cycle of HGH or stanazolol or one of these drugs benefited you for half a year, the world would be a very different place. There'd be a lot less dead wrestlers for a start.
    To be blunt, that's completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Id be surprised if he didn't keep the Universal Title until WM next year now. Imagine the headline:

WWE Universal Champion vs UFC Heavyweight Champion

And Vince's reaction to said headline:

3Je7z9y.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Virtanen wrote: »
    Id be surprised if he didn't keep the Universal Title until WM next year now. Imagine the headline:

WWE Universal Champion vs UFC Heavyweight Champion

And Vince's reaction to said headline:

3Je7z9y.gif

Roman Reigns new wwe universal champion defeats UFC champion brock lesnar in wrestlemania 35 main event

fixed your headline

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Champion of the Universe defeats Champion of the World

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Universal Champion." Christ, it's such a stupid name for a belt and such an ugly belt too.

It'll never be replaced either because of brand recognition with the big W.

USADA believe that there are no benefits to performance enhancing drugs you took 6 months ago, which is why the rule exists. I'm willing to gamble their knowledge trumps mine or yours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

merged the two UFC/Brock threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

USADA believe that there are no benefits to performance enhancing drugs you took 6 months ago, which is why the rule exists. I'm willing to gamble their knowledge trumps mine or yours.

Could you direct me to where they state this?

:pac::pac::pac:
    Well we can agree on one thing, that you don't know what you are talking about.

The 6 month rule exists because that's what it outlined in article 5.7 of the WADA
    code that USADA adheres to. It has nothing to do with 6 months being the limit of the effects of PEDs and nowhere do WADA (or USADA) state that. And the fact you think that after 6 months the effects are gone is proof you haven't a notion on the subject.

Cain Velasquez trains at the WWE Performance Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Cain Velasquez trains at the WWE Performance Center.

Cain vs Lesnar for the Universal title, DC vs Lesnar for the UFC HW title

AKA will sort it all out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well now.

I'm fairly certain that logical booking is we get Conor vs Kahbib inside a Hell in a Cell next month, to prevent outside interference, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Well now.

I'm fairly certain that logical booking is we get Conor vs Kahbib inside a Hell in a Cell next month, to prevent outside interference, right?
    Or go the other way and make it a lumberjack match with equal parts Conor & Khabib's teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Stick them in that mental Polish fed that was mentioned in OSW with the 5 on 5 fights.

Certainly seemed very pro wrestling all week from the press conference stopping as they cut to Conor arriving out of his Car and they follow him out. Khabbib might be the worst style clash opponent of Conors but he still got in his head enough to get a storyline out of it. Dana would happily strip Khabib and have Tony Ferguson face Conor for an interm belt knowing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Next match will be a Dublin street fight.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Kinda reminded me of this lead up to WM X7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It was a great double turn.

Advertisement