Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank charges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I'm not too familiar with the whole situation, but need to get that way. Have inspections started, if so have systems failed? Even systems that were though to be perfectly ok?

Would a 23 year old system automatically fail an inspection?

Edit.... if there is no record of maintenance since the tank's installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

MadsL wrote: »
    From where????

the dept of the envoirnment, re the keeping the house warm/keeping a few guys in work brain fart,

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Big C wrote: »
    Feb 1 coming up fast, Thinking of reg septic tank. Like previous posts my septic was their for 20 yrs, it works but thats all I know about it, I live in very rural area, old council cottage third acre of land, septic tank is about 100yds from house. Reason I presume it works is because I havent been near it in years, problem is I am confined to a wheelchair (MS). I think if it is inspected it will not pass and will be the max cost to put right, maybe €15000, ok I will get €4000 grant but I dont have the balance. I have paid my taxes up to the MS takin over when I left work. I am not looking for sympathy but where do they think I will get €10,000 out of my disabilty pension The only reason I might register my tank is what they could do next ie if I ever tried to sell my house cud I have to pay an extra (what ever amount they come up with for registering after Feb 1st). So between new prop tax and septic tank sh*t I hope bertie and brian and the rest of the *********. I'l stopp here before I get really annoyed.

Good point Big C and sorry to hear about your condition...

Bertie Ahern's claiming €150,000 p/a pension and he's in his early 60s?
    Brian Cowen is much younger and he's on the same pension..
    John Bruton also has his fingers in the pension pie.

And then there's people like yourself, who will get diddly-squat from the government for your septic tank remediations... it's just "get on with it and don't ask questions!"

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Think I will register and when it comes to getting a new system just refuse on financial grounds, don't think much can be done unless they make being poor a crime,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Sorry to hear about this too Big C. I have a longterm illness, live on my own and would not be able to afford an upgrade either.

I live in an area consisting of several large villages. Half of these are on a public sewage system and the rest of us have to make do with septic tanks, though the area is really unsuitable for them due to the close proximity of houses to each other and the density of population.

My village is adjacent to a special area of conversation, so I fear we may be first in line for inspection. The village next to mine had a sewage system installed by the council a few years ago. Although there was a charge to connect to it I believe there also was a grant. So unlike me, those lucky enough to live there have no fear that they may face a bill of over 10k for remediation, or that it may not be possible at all.

I would have no objection to paying back a loan to cover upgrade costs, provided that it was stretched out over a long enough period, but would have zero hope of getting one from a bank as my only income is Disability Allowance (and yes I also worked and paid my taxes for many years before becoming a 24/7 carer).

I have registered anyway. As far as I know the system is working properly, but is is old and I've no idea if it would pass inspection. I've also a roof and windows that need fixing and am trying to save up for that, but at least nobody is threatening to fine me five thousand euro if I don't do it within a specified time period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

sunbeam wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this too Big C. I have a longterm illness, live on my own and would not be able to afford an upgrade either.

I live in an area consisting of several large villages. Half of these are on a public sewage system and the rest of us have to make do with septic tanks, though the area is really unsuitable for them due to the close proximity of houses to each other and the density of population.

My village is adjacent to a special area of conversation, so I fear we may be first in line for inspection. The village next to mine had a sewage system installed by the council a few years ago. Although there was a charge to connect to it I believe there also was a grant. So unlike me, those lucky enough to live there have no fear that they may face a bill of over 10k for remediation, or that it may not be possible at all.

I would have no objection to paying back a loan to cover upgrade costs, provided that it was stretched out over a long enough period, but would have zero hope of getting one from a bank as my only income is Disability Allowance (and yes I also worked and paid my taxes for many years before becoming a 24/7 carer).

I have registered anyway. As far as I know the system is working properly, but is is old and I've no idea if it would pass inspection. I've also a roof and windows that need fixing and am trying to save up for that, but at least nobody is threatening to fine me five thousand euro if I don't do it within a specified time period.

Sunbeam, you brightened my day with that. You really did.

MadsL, we're very proud of our Special Area of Conservation here. I'm very conscious about what I put into my septic tank and would hate the thought it it becoming polluted. If anything, I believe it is a good reason why we should have been prioritised for mains sewerage connection over our neighboring village. We have been connected to the mains for water supply for several decades

Our village was here for 200 years before the area was designated as an SAC and consists of many houses in clusters almost as close together as in an urban housing estate. There simply isn't room to install septic tanks to current regulations. Many of the residents are elderly and few would have the means to upgrade a failing system.

I'm really hoping that sanity will prevail, and if we can't be connected to the mains for sewerage that some other group solution could be found.

MadsL, we're very proud of our Special Area of Conservation here. I'm very conscious about what I put into my septic tank and would hate the thought it it becoming polluted. If anything, I believe it is a good reason why we should have been prioritised for mains sewerage connection over our neighboring village. We have been connected to the mains for water supply for several decades

Our village was here for 200 years before the area was designated as an SAC and consists of many houses in clusters almost as close together as in an urban housing estate. There simply isn't room to install septic tanks to current regulations. Many of the residents are elderly and few would have the means to upgrade a failing system.

I'm really hoping that sanity will prevail, and if we can't be connected to the mains for sewerage that some other group solution could be found.

You sound like a good location for mains sewage.

I just chuckled when you originally typed Special Area of Conversation - and wondered if tea and biscuits were also served.

You sound like a good location for mains sewage.

I just chuckled when you originally typed Special Area of Conversation - and wondered if tea and biscuits were also served.

D'Oh! :p

The main sewerage line ends about three miles away from me, even though the two villages actually run into each other, so I don't think they'll be extending it to us soon. It is a real worry for many of us about what will happen if remediation is required and there is not enough space to do so.

D'Oh! :p

The main sewerage line ends about three miles away from me, even though the two villages actually run into each other, so I don't think they'll be extending it to us soon. It is a real worry for many of us about what will happen if remediation is required and there is not enough space to do so.

Mine runs into a group aerobic digester on a 100 house group scheme. Would this be an option, if there is a natural hill and location at the bottom?

• Advertisement

It might be a possibility, though there are a couple of hills in the village, so I'm not sure.

I am concerned that there has been little public discussion or debate about what will happen in situations like ours. I'm sure there are many villages in a similar situation, especially here in the west.

It might be a possibility, though there are a couple of hills in the village, so I'm not sure.

I am concerned that there has been little public discussion or debate about what will happen in situations like ours. I'm sure there are many villages in a similar situation, especially here in the west.

And I would much prefer to see grants made available for group schemes
    than 4k here and there for individual houses.

And I would much prefer to see grants made available for group schemes
    than 4k here and there for individual houses.

Especially in a village like mine, 4k per house would be a hugely inefficient use of resources in addition to probably being inadequate to remediate many old individual systems.

Physically Sick, I have just paid the €50, feels like the worst thing I have ever done. Only bit of satisfaction I got was renaming my house, so all letters concerning this will be posted to

FcukTheCharges

Co Waterford

Big C wrote: »
    Physically Sick, I have just paid the €50, feels like the worst thing I have ever done. Only bit of satisfaction I got was renaming my house, so all letters concerning this will be posted to

FcukTheCharges

Co Waterford

Hate to say it, but you did get the option to pay €5 not €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

I can't understand why people can be so agressive and nasty to others. Unless you are Phil Hogans f-buddy there's no reason to trash others that are against this scam of a charge. I was forced to overpay for my house at the peak of the boom. Before any of you smarta$$es say "No one was forced to buy......", you would need to walk in my shoes and understand the problems my family and I had and I don't want to go there, so please refrain from any narky comments on this subject!!! Anyway, I paid at the peak, paid massive stamp duty that I got nothing for and now my house is in negative equity and it's bad enough I have a massive mortgage that unlike many I continue to pay, but now taxes and charges are going crazy. Since I live in a rural area with no services and I paid so much in stamp duty, I question why should I continue to be forced to prop up the banks and everyone else when I can't even prop myself up anymore. So I initially decided not to pay the Septic charge, now they've introduced a new twist - that if you don't pay before 1-Feb you won't be able to get a grant latter if necessary. That scares me since my septic may not comply. So now I need to decide if I should pay at the now higher rate of €50. Just getting screwed again.

KetchupKid wrote: »
    I can't understand why people can be so agressive and nasty to others. Unless you are Phil Hogans f-buddy there's no reason to trash others that are against this scam of a charge. I was forced to overpay for my house at the peak of the boom. Before any of you smarta$$es say "No one was forced to buy......", you would need to walk in my shoes and understand the problems my family and I had and I don't want to go there, so please refrain from any narky comments on this subject!!! Anyway, I paid at the peak, paid massive stamp duty that I got nothing for and now my house is in negative equity and it's bad enough I have a massive mortgage that unlike many I continue to pay, but now taxes and charges are going crazy. Since I live in a rural area with no services and I paid so much in stamp duty, I question why should I continue to be forced to prop up the banks and everyone else when I can't even prop myself up anymore. So I initially decided not to pay the Septic charge, now they've introduced a new twist - that if you don't pay before 1-Feb you won't be able to get a grant latter if necessary. That scares me since my septic may not comply. So now I need to decide if I should pay at the now higher rate of €50. Just getting screwed again.

Sympathize with your situation, fully agree about the clever dicks here. I paid the €50 but have nothing to pay when they fail my system, funny thing about the smart hol*s here is their systems cud be doing more damage to the environment, my local village has a system that is not working for 4 years, so their dumps go straight into local river (photos available if required). So if u only here to pass smart comments on people in trouble, please go get a life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER:
    Several of the above posts have gotten a bit too personal. Please focus on the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My brother registered today and he said that there was a big queue of people at the council office registering their tanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shame the directive on cleaning up Urban system that discharge into the sea does not come into effect until 2015 at the earliest and that rural people will end up paying for Urban sewage systems mainly through their taxes. Not that some posters in this thread care, sure only rural folks are ever guilty of any form of wrongdoing. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pretty sure anyone who disagrees with the people in this thread demanding to be allowed to continue dumping their sewage into theirs and everyone elses drinking water will be glad to hear about any new law preventing it regardless of the source, I am anyway.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Shame the directive on cleaning up Urban system that discharge into the sea does not come into effect until 2015 at the earliest and that rural people will end up paying for Urban sewage systems mainly through their taxes. Not that some posters in this thread care, sure only rural folks are ever guilty of any form of wrongdoing. :cool:

And how will the septic tank grant scheme be paid for? With magic pixie buttons?

But good job stirring the rural/urban "divide".

Thargor wrote: »
    Pretty sure anyone who disagrees with the people in this thread demanding to be allowed to continue dumping their sewage into theirs and everyone elses drinking water will be glad to hear about any new law preventing it regardless of the source, I am anyway.

You might point out these people who "demanded" to continue dumping sewage into water.

If you're going to post a statement like that then back it up.

And how will the septic tank grant scheme be paid for? With magic pixie buttons?

But good job stirring the rural/urban "divide".

The difference is we will be paying our share, the townies will have to pay nothing.

The difference is we will be paying our share, the townies will have to pay nothing.

Explain to me how an urban dwelling paying taxes to improve urban sewage schemes adds to the value of their home by maintaining collective waste treatment.

On the other hand would you not say that a functioning, up to standard, septic tank that passes inspection makes a house worth more than one that failed the test, all other factors being equal.

Now explain what share of all tax payers money should contribute to your house's value?

Explain to me how an urban dwelling paying taxes to improve urban sewage schemes adds to the value of their home by maintaining collective waste treatment.

On the other hand would you not say that a functioning, up to standard, septic tank that passes inspection makes a house worth more than one that failed the test, all other factors being equal.

Now explain what share of all tax payers money should contribute to your house's value?

I've no idea what you are on about.

Like everyone else who has a tank I paid to have it done, do you think they get put in for free?

Some of us may now have to pay again to get it upgraded.

The council takes care of any upgrades for urban dwellers.

I've no idea what you are on about.

Like everyone else who has a tank I paid to have it done, do you think they get put in for free?

Some of us may now have to pay again to get it upgraded.

The council takes care of any upgrades for urban dwellers.

You don't think a upgraded, properly functioning, passed inspection, tank makes a house worth more than one where the tank needs upgrading?

You have been complaining about having to upgrade the tank, and you want taxpayers to pay for it - on the basis that councils look after urban systems. Will you pay the taxpayers back when you sell your house for more money as a result of the upgraded tank?

Townies pay tax too. They will be paying their share of your grant money.

You might point out these people who "demanded" to continue dumping sewage into water.

If you're going to post a statement like that then back it up.

You have a short memory.
    Backfire wrote: »
    Er my neighbours are all putting down T junctions for the gray water, one moment its going into the tank for the inspector, a minute later one can have it flowing through its usual pipe into a nearby drain/stream. The junctions will be hidden and the inspector is none the wiser. And this advice has come directly from a guy who has received training to be an inspector. ;)

Putting the gray water directly into the tank will produce more problems, wont solve the pollution issue and would require the installation of the new septic tank systems. None of my neighbours, including myself, don't want this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

You don't think a upgraded, properly functioning, passed inspection, tank makes a house worth more than one where the tank needs upgrading?

You have been complaining about having to upgrade the tank, and you want taxpayers to pay for it - on the basis that councils look after urban systems. Will you pay the taxpayers back when you sell your house for more money as a result of the upgraded tank?

you may be correct up to a point, who are in a position to buy a house, will a letter from the council saying ones tank is ok make it more valueable, i doubt it, as it will need another piece of paper the following year, this is like christmas it will cost money each year, because the rules will be changed each year, nothing stays the same where goverments, money, quangos and contractors, are all involved in the mix, just look at the water meters, the country will recieve flyers/booklets as regards water but no mention of costs and /or a start up date, so a waste of money.

Advertisement