Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

MadsL wrote: »
    Overdramatise much?

He has posted enough personal information on boards to narrow it down pretty closely. I'm not going to post details - search his posts yourself if you like.
    flutered wrote: »

Show me where the regualtions give a flying flutered about the age of the building?

techy are we not, leave the toys in the pram. the op stated that he burned the stuff in an old fireplace, he never said that any one lived in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

flutered wrote: »
    Overdramatise much?

He has posted enough personal information on boards to narrow it down pretty closely. I'm not going to post details - search his posts yourself if you like.

techy are we not, leave the toys in the pram. the op stated that he burned the stuff in an old fireplace, he never said that any one lived in that house.

Just read the regulations, there is no clause about either the age of the building nor if it is occupied.

Not tetchy, just accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

WASTE MANAGEMENT (PROHIBITION OF WASTE DISPOSAL BY
    BURNING) REGULATIONS 2009

http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2009/B27021.pd

4. 2(b) The owner or occupier of a facility or lands which may facilitate the
    burning of waste shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that such a
    device, facility or lands is not used for the burning of waste...

A derelict building is classified as being just another part of the "facility or lands".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope, but it might constitute grounds to investigate possible criminal behaviour and find actual evidence of wrongdoing.

And again, a bit of perspective needed. Someone posting on an internet forum claiming they burnt rubbish in an open fire in a house. Eh, prolly not really high priority for our law enforcement agencies.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

n97 mini wrote: »
    And again, a bit of perspective needed. Someone posting on an internet forum claiming they burnt rubbish in an open fire in a house. Eh, prolly not really high priority for our law enforcement agencies.
    I'm not saying it's likely; merely that it's stupid to break the law and then brag about it on an online forum where you're not as anonymous as you'd like to think.

All of which is distracting from the point that, aside from being illegal, it's wrong, and bragging about being a polluter is about as admirable as bragging about torturing small animals.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »

Law enforcement or environmental enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

^^^^^

Are you a septic tank owner who is up for inspection like the rest of us?

I'm guessing you are not seeing as you come out with stuff like sell the house if you can't afford it.

Apart from one poster talking rubbish in the last few pages noone on here is saying tanks shouldn't be up to standand but it's a big worry to homeowners who may be faced with a massive bill to get it fixed.

€4000 wouldn't last long if a lot of work has to be done.

^^^^^

Are you a septic tank owner who is up for inspection like the rest of us?

I pay for private maintenance of two wells and and a aerobic digester system which recycles our waste into irrigation water for our landscaping. It rums about $150 a month in charges (system is shared between 100 units). I recently had to pay a $770 bill for replacement of a pipeline.
    I'm guessing you are not seeing as you come out with stuff like sell the house if you can't afford it.

You guessed wrong. However if I could not afford to properly maintain the house I would sell it, what's the point in letting any property fall into disrepair?
    Apart from one poster talking rubbish in the last few pages noone on here is saying tanks shouldn't be up to standand but it's a big worry to homeowners who may be faced with a massive bill to get it fixed.

€4000 wouldn't last long if a lot of work has to be done.

So move if your position is not tenable. Or do you want handouts until the work is done? I'm sorry but your position is a bit like asking the taxpayer to pay for the work on your car after it fails the NCT.

It's a grant, not a handout.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with their fellow citizens getting some help to get work done.

It's a grant, not a handout.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with their fellow citizens getting some help to get work done.

Your post appears to be whining that €4k is not enough....

• Advertisement

Your post appears to be whining that €4k is not enough....

I didn't "whine" about anything, I said a person wouldn't feel going through that amount.

You might answer my question now if you don't mind.

Are you up for inspection like the rest of us?

I didn't "whine" about anything, I said a person wouldn't feel going through that amount.

What amount do you feel should be given? €8,000, €16,000 - €40,000?

What contribution do you think the householder should make? My contribution is the guts of $1800 a year plus property taxes of $2500 a year.

Are you up for inspection like the rest of us?

I did, my local county not only inspects, but as a aerobic digester discharges effluent (water so clean that you could almost drink it, but still technically effluent) to the environment we have to have a commercial waste water discharge licence. We are held to an even higher standard than a residential septic tank. Our system has been inspected annually for the past 32 years and we have even won "green' awards for its contribution both to environmental protection and water saving measures.

You make "up for inspection" sound like a bad thing, rather than something that should have been happening 40 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

How much is it if i register the tank at the moment?

Now that I have supplied even more details - care to answer my questions?

What amount do you feel should be given in grants? €8,000, €16,000 - €40,000?

What contribution do you think the householder should make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

How much is it if i register the tank at the moment?
    €50 by 1/feb
    up to 5k fine after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Think its time to give in and pay the charge and the household charge. The fines will get too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Think its time to give in and pay the charge and the household charge. The fines will get too big.

You could be right.

What I can’t understand is why people would still continue to support and to vote for the b*****ds who introduced these charges, i.e. Fianna Fail, The Green Party, Fine Gael and Labour.

If they con you once, shame on them. If they con you twice, shame on you.

Now that I have supplied even more details - care to answer my questions?

What amount do you feel should be given in grants? €8,000, €16,000 - €40,000?

What contribution do you think the householder should make?

I think the grant should be assessed house by house, based on the work that needs to be done but this won't happen so it doesn't really matter what i think.

My own tank is only 5 years old so I think I should be ok as regards the inspection.

It's important to register before Feb 1st to avail of the grant.

I think the grant should be assessed house by house, based on the work that needs to be done but this won't happen so it doesn't really matter what i think.

You are the one complaining €4k is not enough. Should it be unlimited? Should the householder make any contribution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's important to register before Feb 1st to avail of the grant.

Are you working for the Govt ?
    Why should people give in and pay for something they provided for themselves again ?

Why should people give in and pay for something they provided for themselves again ?

Not taxing your car again these 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

€50 by 1/feb
    up to 5k fine after that

5k fine if you don't register ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

My own tank is only 5 years old so I think I should be ok as regards the inspection.

I do think there is an expectation that people who need to upgrade their tanks should get significant public funds to achieve this. The Q is why. If I NCT my car and if fails and would cost thousands to get right can I look for a grant to fund this cost? No I have to repair the car myself of replace the car or get the bus? It dosn't matter if I am wealthy or poor young or old. Why then should a different approach apply to septic tanks. If a person built a house a number of years ago and spent very little on a tank which is now considered sub standard why should he get a grant to substantially upgrade the tank when his neighbour who build recently and was forced to spend €4 to €5k on a filtration system and received no grant/assistance for this work?

The person who has to upgrade may well be in a better financial position that the new build person but expects the neighbours tax to subvent his upgrade work. Would the person think it was appropriate for a subvention to fix his roof if it deteriorated over time?

I think the issue of grants need to be carefully considered and if they are given out they should be subject to a means assessment. It might also be worth considering providing loans to householders through county councils which could be paid back over an extended period of time. This kind of approach was followed by the ESB when it came to funding the insulating of houses. At least then people wouln't have to pay up front and also would have access to funds for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not taxing your car again these 3 months?

???

???

You bought your car didn't you? I take it you pay motortax...

No I'm not working for the Gov, I'm in a low paid job but I am also realistic.

I don't care what anyone does, just telling what I heard on the radio.

@ Galwayguy - as you are here - Any chance of answering my question above?

@ Galwayguy - as you are here - Any chance of answering my question above?

Obviously the householder will have to pay as well as getting the grant, as for saying the grant should be unlimited, it's a silly question really as that would never happen.

I said earlier that my view is that the grant should be assessed based on the work that needs to be done, you don't agree so rather than going around in circles let's just move on from this.

• Advertisement

Obviously the householder will have to pay as well as getting the grant, as for saying the grant should be unlimited, it's a silly question really as that would never happen.

I said earlier that my view is that the grant should be assessed based on the work that needs to be done, you don't agree so rather than going around in circles let's just move on from this.

But if the grant is assessed based on the work, what percentage should the householder pay? 50%? 10%? 0%?

Should it be means-tested?

Advertisement