Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What he actually said was;

Very simplistic answer, we can't all afford to live in urban areas, especially people on lower salaries.

The fundamental question would be why people on lower salaries would think of buying a house in the middle of a property boom.

I'm taking issue with the assertion that somehow the poor were forced to construct shanty towns away from water and sewer services because they could not afford to live connected to services.

The reality is that the reasonable off or those willing to put labour into a house wanted to live in the middle of nowhere.

And by the way my calculation above ignores the opportunity cost of building your own house which easily makes up the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

MadsL wrote: »
    I'm taking issue with the assertion that somehow the poor were forced to construct shanty towns away from water and sewer services because they could not afford to live connected to services.

The reality is that the reasonable off or those willing to put labour into a house wanted to live in the middle of nowhere.
    You've got a point there, which I hope isn't lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

ECJ has just fined Ireland €3.5m for non-compliance with septic tank and other environmental regs plus €12,000 per day, every day until the situation is corrected.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-12/cp120171en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is a €4000 grant available to people who may need to have work done.

I registered in September, have not heard anything back yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Just to be pedantic, that's €2M for not looking after water pollution and €1.5M for not implementing environmental impact assessments properly.

But yippeee... we get half price fines cos we're broke!

I guess the ruse of opening a Register of Septic Tanks didn't fool them into thinking we were actually inspecting them then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

There are 437,000 domestic septic tanks in the state. If half get the grant then that would cost €874m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The "grant" is only available IF you fail an inspection and the septic tank / system is registered.

I can see that this will mean most people won't give a damn about the state of their septic tank - they'll just wait for it to fail and apply for the grant.

More about grants here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/e4000-grants-for-septic-tanks-that-fail-inspections.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The disastrous planning policies that have allowed the widespread proliferation of one off housing are going to cost us big time as a society. The massive fines that are being imposed on us by the EU in relation to septic tanks is only the beginning. All this bad planning was bound to come back and bite us in the ass eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

ECJ has just fined Ireland €3.5m for non-compliance with septic tank and other environmental regs plus €12,000 per day, every day until the situation is corrected.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-12/cp120171en.pdf
    There are 437,000 domestic septic tanks in the state. If half get the grant then that would cost €874m.
    Clareboy wrote: »
    The disastrous planning policies that have allowed the widespread proliferation of one off housing are going to cost us big time as a society. The massive fines that are being imposed on us by the EU in relation to septic tanks is only the beginning. All this bad planning was bound to come back and bite us in the ass eventually.

The government is weeping and nashing there teeth even if we only had to epend 100 million on grants we would be better off with the fine it works out at 4.3 million/year. If we borrow money at present it is costing us over 5% on 100 million that is 5 million/year. On top of that we would have to send out inspectors and the government would be very very unpopular.

Pay the fine it would be like it costing you 1K to tax the car and a 10 euro fine if you were caught without cartax if that was the case what would the general public do.

The government is weeping and nashing there teeth even if we only had to epend 100 million on grants we would be better off with the fine it works out at 4.3 million/year. If we borrow money at present it is costing us over 5% on 100 million that is 5 million/year. On top of that we would have to send out inspectors and the government would be very very unpopular.

Pay the fine it would be like it costing you 1K to tax the car and a 10 euro fine if you were caught without cartax if that was the case what would the general public do.

What's the value of not being known as the EU country where people shit in their own water supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Er my neighbours are all putting down T junctions for the gray water, one moment its going into the tank for the inspector, a minute later one can have it flowing through its usual pipe into a nearby drain/stream. The junctions will be hidden and the inspector is none the wiser. And this advice has come directly from a guy who has received training to be an inspector. ;)

Putting the gray water directly into the tank will produce more problems, wont solve the pollution issue and would require the installation of the new septic tank systems. None of my neighbours, including myself, don't want this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great idea Backfire! Lets all just dump our waste in the nearest lake or stream! That'll show the guverment not to mess with our freedum!

Thargor wrote: »
    Great idea Backfire! Lets all just dump our waste in the nearest lake or stream! That'll show the guverment not to mess with our freedum!

Make the whole thing free then I wouldn't have done that.
    5 euro registration fee...but work could cost thousands and pfff at a proposed grant system, cost should be completely covered.

Its easy for urban dwellers to criticise, if you had a septic tank, would you pay thousands just to rectify a sewage system which is decades old and is the way it is due to recommendations by the council when it was first put in (early 1980s) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My parents are installing a new septic tank system at home and my landlords system will pass an inspection, there is no excuse for polluting the water supply with your filth, you wouldn't keep it near your family but you'll piss it downstream on someone else?

Backfire wrote: »
    Er my neighbours are all putting down T junctions for the gray water, one moment its going into the tank for the inspector, a minute later one can have it flowing through its usual pipe into a nearby drain/stream. The junctions will be hidden and the inspector is none the wiser. And this advice has come directly from a guy who has received training to be an inspector. ;)

Putting the gray water directly into the tank will produce more problems, wont solve the pollution issue and would require the installation of the new septic tank systems. None of my neighbours, including myself, don't want this to happen.

Oh ffs. This is your own environment you are polluting, I swear to god every time some rural gobshite puts one over on "da man" they think they are fucking over the Brits.

Utter, utter morons.

All that effort to 'trick' the inspector when you could simply put in an additional leachfield, trench arch pipe or willow bank/reedbed at minimal cost to take care of the grey water.
    Would you ever cop on.

Thargor wrote: »
    My parents are installing a new septic tank system at home and my landlords system will pass an inspection, there is no excuse for polluting the water supply with your filth, you wouldn't keep it near your family but you'll piss it downstream on someone else?

First of all its gray water, not effluent.
    Secondly your parents can afford it, I or many of my neighbours can't.
    If your on the bread-line, it might not be so easy to talk from such a high moral stand-point.

@MadsL:
    Brits?...wtf are you on about?

secondly...what is your definition of 'minimal' in terms of cost?
    €50 is a lot of money to me, people's financial situations differ greatly.
    Get off your high moral environmentalist horse and grow up!

If your on the bread-line, it might not be so easy to talk from such a high moral stand-point.

How much does it cost to dig a pipe trench and fill it with a plastic pipe and gravel?

Or built a bank with willows on it?

Seriously...We've just had to pay to have a half mile of gray water pipe laid to fix our communal (100 units) gray water system. My contribution, $770. Not so bad.

Talk to your neighbours, if you live on a slope say could not two or three or more houses get a system sorted to deal with grey water? It just needs a place to filter through vegetation. Ours runs our sprinkler systems for the lawns.

How much does it cost to dig a pipe trench and fill it with a plastic pipe and gravel?

Or built a bank with willows on it?

Seriously...We've just had to pay to have a half mile of gray water pipe laid to fix our communal (100 units) gray water system. My contribution, $770. Not so bad.

Talk to your neighbours, if you live on a slope say could not two or three or more houses get a system sorted to deal with grey water? It just needs a place to filter through vegetation. Ours runs our sprinkler systems for the lawns.

Option 3 isnt an option.
    The others would minimal cost of 300 euro.
    I am on the breadline...I can't afford that.
    What do you say to people who literally dont have €10 to spare by the end of the week by the time all bills/food is paid for?

If they are on the breadline and they cannot afford to maintain thier house, maybe they should sell it and move to somewhere they can afford to maintain. What will happen if the roof needs fixing?
    @MadsL:
    Brits?...wtf are you on about?

The attitude about 'tricking' the inspector like he's the "oppressor".
    secondly...what is your definition of 'minimal' in terms of cost?
    €50 is a lot of money to me, people's financial situations differ greatly.
    This look expensive to you? Sweat equity mostly in digging.

Get off your high moral environmentalist horse and grow up!
    Trying to help you with cheap options that work rather than stupid "none the wiser" crap. I dispair of people who won't even take responsibility for their own shit.

What do you say to people who literally dont have €10 to spare by the end of the week by the time all bills/food is paid for?

Sell your house, if you can't afford to maintain it, you can't afford to live in it.

• Advertisement

Sell your house, if you can't afford to maintain it, you can't afford to live in it.

Yes...we should all do that.....

If you were on the breadline so, you would have no problem in trying to sell your house in the current housing market place, buy some smaller place in an urban setting and not worry about your sewage system ever again? Fair play to you.

If there is a problem with the public sewage system, lets repair it using tax payers money, money taken from rural dwellers who dont use the system at all.

As they say 'fair is fair'

Yes...we should all do that.....

If you were on the breadline so, you would have no problem in trying to sell your house in the current housing market place, buy some smaller place in an urban setting and not worry about your sewage system ever again? Fair play to you.

If there is a problem with the public sewage system, lets repair it using tax payers money, money taken from rural dwellers who dont use the system at all.

As they say 'fair is fair'

Would you advise someone who could not afford petrol to buy a car? What you are griping about is that some people get a petrol allowance as part of their jobs therefore you should get free petrol.

If you cannot afford the cheapest possible piece of maintenance to ensure that your property is not polluting your and everybody else's environment, then you simply cannot afford to own that house.

If your roof blew off you'd get a loan to pay for the insurance excess on the repair now wouldn't you? Yet you seem to want to be 'entitled' somehow not to be responsible for the dirty water that comes out of your own house. Unreal

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Er my neighbours are all putting down T junctions for the gray water, one moment its going into the tank for the inspector, a minute later one can have it flowing through its usual pipe into a nearby drain/stream. The junctions will be hidden and the inspector is none the wiser.
    That's brilliant! Here's another money-saving tip for you: you can save on bin charges by dumping your rubbish in ditches along the side of the road. Just make sure you remove anything in it that could be used to identify you, and the litter warden will be none the wiser.

The mind boggles.

The next complaint will be that since we cannot afford bin bags we are now burning our rubbish in the back yard.

Look. If you cannot afford to have the €300-500 worth of work done to bring the house up to basic standards of hygiene and environmental responsibility, what the fck is the plan for when you have to get a serious piece of work done on the house? Burn it to the ground and claim the insurance money?

I'm literally shaking my head in disbelief.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's brilliant! Here's another money-saving tip for you: you can save on bin charges by dumping your rubbish in ditches along the side of the road. Just make sure you remove anything in it that could be used to identify you, and the litter warden will be none the wiser.

The mind boggles.

Actually i burn all my rubbish in the old fireplace of an old stone building. (Nobody from a helicopter is none the wiser).
    And i recycle all recycable materials. Havnt spent money on getting rid of my rubbish in a long time. :)

I know this annoys you but i do what i have to do to make life cheaper on myself. You can voice your opinions (and please do) but it wont change my mind.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I know this annoys you but i do what i have to do to make life cheaper on myself.
    Me too. I get all my food by shoplifting, and I siphon petrol out of my neighbours' cars.

Sure, my actions have a negative effect on others, but the important thing is that I save money.

The next complaint will be that since we cannot afford bin bags we are now burning our rubbish in the back yard.

I was joking ffs!

Jesus, there are times when some people literally disgust me. This is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Yeah, your biggest mistake was to buy or build your own house. Far better to stay in bed all day, have lots of sex, produce a big family and demand that the local authority should give you a free house. Better still, move to a town or city where you can connect to a free public sewerage system that was paid for by public taxation.

And whatever you do, don’t bother trying to reason with those Green Party city types – even when they’re talking ****e, which is most of the time, they just ‘know’ that they are so superior to everyone else.

I was joking ffs!

Jesus, there are times when some people literally disgust me. This is one.

Well hold on a minute there...its not completely free, i still have to buy the matches ro start the fire!.....haha :)

This thread has suddenly turned hilarious!

Jese sorry guys, hope you dont choke on the carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide molecules as they disperse in the atmosphere.

• Advertisement

solas111 wrote: »
    Yeah, your biggest mistake was to buy or build your own house. Far better to stay in bed all day, have lots of sex, produce a big family and demand that the local authority should give you a free house. Better still, move to a town or city where you can connect to a free public sewerage system that was paid for by public taxation.

And whatever you do, don’t bother trying to reason with those Green Party city types – even when they’re talking ****e, which is most of the time, they just ‘know’ that they are so superior to everyone else.

What is the point in living in a house you cannot afford to maintain. That's like owning a Ferrari you cannot afford to insure.

I live in rural community with a joint sewage system for which I pay heavily each month, sorry that your caricature was wide of the mark.

However, I think that when Backfire admits to burning rubbish, the truth is not so much that he cannot afford to do the right thing, simply that he doesn't care. I'd have more respect for him if he came out with it and said it straight instead of the breadline sob story.

Advertisement