Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 143: Diaz V Condit Official Thread Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Not sure what fight some people saw but i had it 1 and 2 to Diaz, 3 and 4 to Condit and 5th was very close!

Took Condit a while to get going in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Dear god how utterly boring is GSP and Condit going to be? It'll be used to cure insomnia I reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i had it pretty much all to Condit.

i think they'll have to make the judging criteria a little more open so people can understand the whole system a little better.

i dont mean show scores, but set out rules and criteria of things you need to do to win a round.

it was a tricky one to call, and i can actually see how some people could score it all one way, or then the complete opposite.

a lot of people would look at Diaz commanding the centre of the ring and automatically give the round in his favour.

but then the way i see it is you must actually do something constructive instead of walking aimlessly forward.

it was a good fight none the less.

i thought your man pierce was robbed against Koscheck though.

what annoys me is he probably won the final round because of a single takedown. Yet they dont seem to score for getting out of that takedown, or the subsequent heavy blows that Pierce landed after that takedown in the last few seconds of the final round.

it goes back to my original point. We should have a clear and concise criteria on whats scored in the judges eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone impressed by Werdum? His striking is definitely coming on, even though the Overeem fight was a very poor match, when he did stand and trade I thought he had some success. He stayed out of trouble and really gave Nelson a beating last night, which is all Nelson seems to be good for these days. Close to the cut, I reckon? it's the same broken record but if he got himself in shape, even down to 205 kinda weight, he would be an absolute handful, hard as nails, good power and groundgame with better cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great fight, Ya Diaz pushed the pace but Condit got more strikes off. I def had it going to Condit. Diaz v GSP would have been much better tho, hope Nick isn't really retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

photo_large_JPG.jpg

UFC 143 Carlos Condit Vs. Nick Diaz Judges' Score Cards

Everyone who watched UFC 143's welterweight interim title fight between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit had their own score in their heads. Nick Diaz clearly thought he won the fight, apparently retiring in a snit after the loss. But only three people's opinions mattered and they all agreed that Carlos Condit won the fight. Here are each judges' round-by-round scores:
    • Judge Cecil Peoples had it: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9 for Condit.
    • Judge Patricia Morse Jarman had it: 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9 for Condit.
    • Judge Junichiro Kamijo had it 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-9, 9-10 for Condit.
    Some interesting things to note. First off it's pretty amazing that only one judge scored the final round for Diaz given the take down and back mount. Secondly, it's interesting that only Kamijo had Diaz winning the second but Jarman and Peoples had Diaz winning the third. Everyone agreed that Condit won the first and fourth rounds.

Dana White scored it three rounds to two for Condit, with Diaz winning the first two and Condit the final three.

CompuStrike counted the strikes in the bout like so:
    • Condit outlanded Diaz in total strikes 146 to 110
    • Diaz outlanded Condit 86 to 42 in total arm strikes landed
    • Condit outlanded Diaz 104 to 19 in total leg strikes landed
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/2/5/2772415/ufc-143-results-judges-score-cards-carlos-condit-vs-nick-diaz

Now this is interesting does anyone actually agree with the way the judges scored it? Two out of the three judges gave diaz round 3 and condit the rest, i cant see how they came to that conclusion.....

Watched it earlier. Condit picked him off beautifully almost every time. Great game plan and it worked. Anyone saying Diaz won is just sad about the lost fight to GSP imo.

p.s Renan Barao is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Theory time... Could there be a rematch of this fight in the summer? Condit says he doesn't want to fight until GSP is ready, which is a long time. Will he fight before then... and could it be a rematch? A chance for UFC to get the Diaz v GSP fight they wanted originally? With Diaz saying after the fight that he was done, maybe offering him a rematch with Condit (with the GSP shot as a carrot too) is the only way to get him back? Would Condit accept? A rematch between these two would be a big draw..

Anyone??

Right, enough rambling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Roar wrote: »
    Theory time... Could there be a rematch of this fight in the summer? Condit says he doesn't want to fight until GSP is ready, which is a long time. Will he fight before then... and could it be a rematch? A chance for UFC to get the Diaz v GSP fight they wanted originally? With Diaz saying after the fight that he was done, maybe offering him a rematch with Condit (with the GSP shot as a carrot too) is the only way to get him back? Would Condit accept? A rematch between these two would be a big draw..

Anyone??

Right, enough rambling...

there definately wont be a rematch because DW said he thought conduit won.

the problem with the scoring is down to the vagueness of the rules.
    All the judges are supposed to go on is effective striking, effective grappling and octagon control.
    thats way too vague.
    is a lowkick worth the same as a punch to the face?
    how many punches to the face equals a takedown?

for me its much easier to land a lowkick than a punch to the face so in the diaz conduit fight i don't think you can just count the total number of "strikes" and say conduit deserved to win.

in the kos/pierce fight one takedown decided the winner of the third round despite the fact that pierce landed the most strikes. so obviously judges weight takedowns more. why? where does it say one takedown is morth more than being outstruck by 8 punches.

the rules need to be made way clearer to stop these debates after every big show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

Niall0 wrote: »
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/2/5/2772415/ufc-143-results-judges-score-cards-carlos-condit-vs-nick-diaz

Now this is interesting does anyone actually agree with the way the judges scored it? Two out of the three judges gave diaz round 3 and condit the rest, i cant see how they came to that conclusion.....

Weirdly I scored it exactly like the third judge. I thought Diaz won the second and fifth outright, Condit won third and fourth and the first being very close but thought Condit just edged it.

Anyone see the Thompson KO? Oh my word. Big things gonna happen for this guy. Very impressive performance from Werdum. Will Nelson make a move to LHW I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

nino1 wrote: »
    there definately wont be a rematch because DW said he thought conduit won.

Dana has already said he is happy to do a rematch if it's what both Conduit and Diaz want.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Diaz dont deserve a rematch,he had his chance and was beaten by a smarter fighter,gsp to beat conduit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I don't know why some people bother to watch this sport. That was a fantastic performance from Carlos Condit and he clearly won the fight. He landed more, he caused more damage and he avoided the most dangerous aspects of Diaz's offence. He showed Nick Diaz up for the limited fighter he is and all some people can do is moan about how he didn't just stand there to be hit. Running? Jesus Christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Not sure what fight some people saw but i had it 1 and 2 to Diaz, 3 and 4 to Condit and 5th was very close!

Took Condit a while to get going in this one.

?? Condit stuck to the gameplan for the entire fight, and didn't Nick take his back in the 5th and almost get the choke?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

?? Condit stuck to the gameplan for the entire fight, and didn't Nick take his back in the 5th and almost get the choke?

Almost don't cut it.

I was hoping Diaz won but he done the bare minimum and as he could not outwork his opponent was shown up for been limited.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Almost don't cut it.

I was hoping Diaz won but he done the bare minimum and as he could not outwork his opponent was shown up for been limited.

True, as the saying goes, "nearly didn't win the race".
    Diaz should've tried to take the fight to the ground earlier, but he thought he could scrap and got shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

All the people saying Condit ran away from Diaz are crazy.
    Condit had a gameplan that he executed perfectly.
    For the entire fight he managed to get his shots in and then get out of the way before he took any damaging shots from Diaz. He performed exactly the way he needed to win the fight.
    Why would he stand in front of Diaz and get into a slugfest just to please a few blood-thirsty fans?? It's his job to do whats needed to get the win, and he did exactly that. And to whoever said "Greg Jackson/Carlos Condit are ruining mma"-- that's laughable.

Condit didn't settle for the first 2 rounds and I think Diaz won both those rounds. But Condit seemed to find his feet and relax in the last 3 rounds and he performed better than Diaz and won the fight.
    Fair enough Diaz got the takedown late in the last round but he wasn't able to do anything with it. He tried to get a submission but Condit defended everything. Diaz didn't even get any decent shots in while he had Condits back, and condit managed to get out of it right at the end.

This mentality that if someone gets a takedown they automatically win the round is ridiculous. Condit controlled Diaz in rd5 andjust because Diaz manages a takedown he wins the round?? Not a chance.
    Really good performance from Condit and a well deserved win. Looking forward to GSP v Condit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

well dean09 & devore must be asleep tonight

Yep! :D

I went to bed and set the main event to record. Then when I got up today I discovered the fukn recording failed!! :mad:
    So I had to search online for the rest of the fights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The funny thing is that if Condit had of gone out there and allowed Diaz to Stockton Slap the chops off him for 5 rounds you'd have those same fans who are bitching about "running" bitching about how Condit should have had a better plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

OUCH

nelson.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I just watched the fight again without the commentary. I don't really get all the criticism of Condit. The fact is it was just a very close fight that could have gone either way. For the record I have Diaz winning rounds 1,2 and 5 and Condit taking 3 and 4.

Having watched the fight a number of times I can see how you could give any round to either fighter. For me the 5th round was the only one where something significant (diaz taking condit down and securing back mount) happened to really distinguish the 2 fighters, but Condit was probably winning that round up until the last 90 seconds.

It was an extremely tought fight to score for any judge, although im not excusing the judges who are usually woeful, but in this case I dont think even experts could agree on who won what round (evidenced by the variety of opinions from fighters/experts on twitter etc)

This wasnt a conspiricy or a robbery, just a close fight. My guess is that if Diaz had have won a lot of people would have been shouting robbery for carlos condit.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

I would love to see Nelson lose a bit more weight and make the LHW division.

Another 25 to 30 lbs would be enough for him to make the final cut before a fight. He's never going to compete with the bigger guys in the HW division carrying that much excess weight.

loremolis wrote: »
    I would love to see Nelson lose a bit more weight and make the LHW division.

Another 25 to 30 lbs would be enough for him to make the final cut before a fight. He's never going to compete with the bigger guys in the HW division carrying that much excess weight.

Yeah because Roy Nelson fighting faster more athletic fighters = win.... He's a HW gatekeeper and he's going to stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Yeah because Roy Nelson fighting faster more athletic fighters = win.... He's a HW gatekeeper and he's going to stay that way.

How many more losses at HW before the gate is closed for him in the UFC?

If he fights at HW again and loses then he's gonna have to drop or he'll be cut with one more loss. A drop to LHW keeps his UFC career alive and with his experience, not to mention his chin, he could handle many of the LHW guys at the moment.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Almost don't cut it.

Yes, I was referring to it as effective grappling and that the 5th round wasn't close. Although I need to see the fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What did he weigh in at this weekend?

Got it, 246lb, that's a hefty cut to LHW alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

seriously did anyone watch the Stephen Thompson KO? Here's a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8IsiKLm6mU

• Advertisement

Unreal. Can't wait for his next fight.:D

Advertisement