Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I would go now, trade for feeder cows has picked up a bit, why I dont know. whatever you can get over the € a kg wave good bye, unless you have some trick and very very cheap feed. Cant see much of a trade for beef post xmas in the short term

Why can't you see a trade for beef post Xmas? Is it your gut or facts and figures or projections or maybe tradition?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes for dAiry cows going around Christmas. Cows are warming up but don't know wheither to go now or early jan
    Your talking around 3.20kg for O3s..Im with bob id let them off now iv a load going monday..

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes for dAiry cows going around Christmas. Cows are warming up but don't know wheither to go now or early jan
    Your talking around 3.20kg for O3s..Im with bob id let them off now iv a load going monday myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 problum8

I have two limousine bulls... One about 550kg the other 500kg or a bit less... They are about 16 months. What would be the best time to kill.. They are been fed ad lib the last fortnight.. I was thinking I could get rid of the bigger lad around Christmas? Will I gain the best value for them at this weight? I was told that between 500 and 700 kg is optimum for young bulls.. I would like to get rid of them asap as we usually dont finish... Also where would be the best factory for these? We are in Galway.. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I would go now, trade for feeder cows has picked up a bit, why I dont know. whatever you can get over the € a kg wave good bye, unless you have some trick and very very cheap feed. Cant see much of a trade for beef post xmas in the short term
    Why can't you see a trade for beef post Xmas? Is it your gut or facts and figures or projections or maybe tradition?

I am with Bob and Manofeeling on this up to 2-3 weeks ago I thaught we would be looking at a serious lift in price around now or after Xmas as we do every year. However cannot see it happening bulls that were housed early in July/August have to be moved due to time in shed and price of ration. February will see usual glut of Dariry farmers cattle cannot see a serious price rise before April/May:eek: if then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Farmer Pudsey, been offered 410 for those bulls, thought i'd get 415.
    mart or factory? any idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

jfh wrote: »
    Farmer Pudsey, been offered 410 for those bulls, thought i'd get 415.
    mart or factory? any idea

getting late for mart now, there will be nothing worth while next week in the marts. Anyone local to buy by hand? Best to feed on for Xmas if there only 600kgs. Bulls grading 1's and 2's fat will serious drop the price paid and I suspect from what you describe you have they are un finished.
    problum8 wrote: »
    I have two limousine bulls... One about 550kg the other 500kg or a bit less... They are about 16 months. What would be the best time to kill.. They are been fed ad lib the last fortnight.. I was thinking I could get rid of the bigger lad around Christmas? Will I gain the best value for them at this weight? I was told that between 500 and 700 kg is optimum for young bulls.. I would like to get rid of them asap as we usually dont finish... Also where would be the best factory for these? We are in Galway.. Thanks in advance.

Depending on quality I would suspect these guys need another 2 months feeding before even considering slaughter

appreciate the advise bob, they're young, one is finished alright , the other is 575kg and could do with another few weeks but they are gone off their nuts.
    so you'd be of the oopinion to hold on until mid jan if i could?

appreciate the advise bob, they're young, one is finished alright , the other is 575kg and could do with another few weeks but they are gone off their nuts.

Not if gone off their nuts, they need a change of diet or scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 41 problum8

My lads seem to be gone off their nuts too... Trough not touched last night.. What would you suggest as a change of diet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

problum8 wrote: »
    My lads seem to be gone off their nuts too... Trough not touched last night.. What would you suggest as a change of diet?

How long are they on the finishing diet for usually they go stale after about 130ish days so much for all the baloney about 200 days for bulls.

Bulls could be a tough trade for a while a lot housed in July/August now either going stale or finished and will have to be sold. Like I said earlier I cannot see a price rise after christmass all ration bills are starting to become an issue and mills will insist on being paid because of the amount being carried. Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion to make it worth your while holding you would need a rise of 15-20 cent after christmass for it to pay to hold cattle.

Thanks farmer Pudsey, ur up early this morning, yeah the bulls are off tmmrw to slaney.
    Re the diet, ive found switching them to hay & off baled silage works in the short term to get them eating nuts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Thanks farmer Pudsey, ur up early this morning, yeah the bulls are off tmmrw to slaney.
    Re the diet, ive found switching them to hay & off baled silage works in the short term to get them eating nuts again.

Bob or pudsey might know better but sounds like mild acidosis to me

Was the silage soft juicy stuff , or strong stemmy stuff?

mf240 wrote: »
    Bob or pudsey might know better but sounds like mild acidosis to me

Was the silage soft juicy stuff , or strong stemmy stuff?

hi mf240,it would have been what looks like good quality baled silage. the odd bale might have been soft & juicy but most are dry, wouldn't be strong stemmy stuff. but i think you are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Sent 6 20 month heifers last monday got cheque today.
    prices from E4.21 to E4.39 R=3- U=3=.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Was tring to get fr bulls killed this week failed
    agents fron 2 places tring to settle on price for 2nd of jan
    what should i be settling on

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

I was trying to get fr bulls away also. I was told the were booked up for this week . I am holding out for €4.00 for Os

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

dasheriff wrote: »
    Your talking around 3.20kg for O3s..Im with bob id let them off now iv a load going monday myself..

Got 3.30 for O's today.

Got 3.30 for O's today.

cows I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

cows I presume
    Yep if it was the 4.10 you're on about it'd make a grand christmas

• Advertisement

I was trying to get fr bulls away also. I was told the were booked up for this week . I am holding out for €4.00 for Os
    normally deal with Kepak near by find them ok
    but the buyer origonally was talking 380 for Os this week and i didnt give him answer as i wasnt happy
    had to put feelers out
    dont think the 4 is there but might get 395 Os + 385 Ps from other guy

epfff wrote: »
    normally deal with Kepak near by find them ok
    but the buyer origonally was talking 380 for Os this week and i didnt give him answer as i wasnt happy
    had to put feelers out
    dont think the 4 is there but might get 395 Os + 385 Ps from other guy

I got €3.90 two weeks ago in kepak for Os

I got €3.90 two weeks ago in kepak for Os
    He seen i was tight for space in sheds(cows calfing soon)
    im under time pressure due to day job
    and he reconed i hadnt cash flow to hang tuff
    dont worry he will pay for it again he nolonger has to match others to get cattle he is now the 1 that has to beat the rest to get lookin

Got 3.30 for O's today.

Ya that seems to be the going this week i got roughly the same..happy enough with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Bullocks up to 4.15 now

saranac1 wrote: »
    Bullocks up to 4.15 now
    Whats the word on dairy bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Bullocks up to 4.15 now

is that the base price for underage cattle?

Bullocks up to 4.15 now

for any of the poor feckers that worked sorting and hauling cattle most of Stephens day surely deserved the extra 10c. one of the lads told me he covered over 500kms with cattle lorry yesterday:(.

So is a 10c rise (from the 1st of dec to 1st of Jan) enough to cover the month of December? doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Bullocks up to 4.15 now
    Is this a quote from a factory or from the journal? There is usually a difference between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Sorry just on the front of the journal but I reckon with the whole Libya deal, prices will go up from jan 1 st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement