Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

sell him live, he would come into f all at that price

Yep find a dealer/feedlot that's putting a load/few pens of over age bulls together and you'll get a reasonable price for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

Yep find a dealer/feedlot that's putting a load/few pens of over age bulls together and you'll get a reasonable price for him.

might be best to stickk him on DD and see what happens. what would you ask for a feeder like him :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Anyone care to say how many cents per kilo they are factoring into a beef price drop or potential price rise wiped out due to current difficulties? 5%?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

With Liffey meats in the clear looks like it a Larry issue while he may not pull prices straight away will proball be no price rise for next two months.

With Liffey meats in the clear looks like it a Larry issue while he may not pull prices straight away will proball be no price rise for next two months.

Certainly looks that way, probably will be only slight price pulls but the upside that should have taken place certainly which I would think was worth 5% of price. Will hit big feeders for huge sums and a cummulative affect right down to grass roots:(, how well or banks look after things will determine who stays and who goes. We will have to discount right through until the glut of cattle comes keeping everyone up the food chain happy. win win for the big retailers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

me thinks no price pull and in a few weeks a price rise ;)

dealerman wrote: »
    me thinks no price pull and in a few weeks a price rise ;)

yes but no price rise given how good market conditions were is in affect a price pull. We are going to have to discount until Autumn to keep product shifted. If I was a buyer for a retail outlet I would be telling the Irish lads to go shove their horse ****e, but I will take it at a 10% discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

I can see the factories getting the violins ready,all set to either keep prices static or steadily drop them 5cent a kilo a week for a couple of months be back around 3.80 in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

yes but no price rise given how good market conditions were is in affect a price pull. We are going to have to discount until Autumn to keep product shifted. If I was a buyer for a retail outlet I would be telling the Irish lads to go shove their horse ****e, but I will take it at a 10% discount

And if i was i seller to a retail outlet i'd say go **** yourself - your continous pressure to supply cheap crap food at ever increasing discounts is the cause of this

Bob i think you are over talking the effect that this is having or could have

Personally i see a potential very short term negative price effect which will disappear pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Cattle are scarce to be honest the only people ive heard talking down the price are those trying to buy forward stores to feed:rolleyes:

These are the same kind of lads who say to sell culls in the mart as you would be at nothing feeding them. then go off and buy a load of them.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

ya bob but i sold beef the first week of jan cattle were scarce got a small bit more
    . but the middle of the following week i wont hav got what i got and cattle were getting plentiful from then on was there going to be a price rise.
    was talking to factory 2day he told plenty cattle about enough till middle of next week alreday so
    i had bought forward stores for grass and had a few heavy old stores in the sheds so made up 3 pens going to feed them hard for the 1 of april and might buy a few more yet
    like the ad on the radio
    WHEN THERE GONE THERE DEFINITELY GONE :D

Tipp Man wrote: »
    And if i was i seller to a retail outlet i'd say go **** yourself - your continous pressure to supply cheap crap food at ever increasing discounts is the cause of this

Personally i see a potential very short term negative price effect which will disappear pretty quickly

You are right Tipp man but reality is that Tesco et al have the whip hand. Larry's and Co biggest issue is that they should loosen the grip they have on prices and let them rise however they will not do this the only chance we have in the short term is that the live shipping starts to take a decent number of animals
    dealerman wrote: »
    ya bob but i sold beef the first week of jan cattle were scarce got a small bit more
    . but the middle of the following week i wont hav got what i got and cattle were getting plentiful from then on was there going to be a price rise.
    was talking to factory 2day he told plenty cattle about enough till middle of next week alreday so
    i had bought forward stores for grass and had a few heavy old stores in the sheds so made up 3 pens going to feed them hard for the 1 of april and might buy a few more yet
    like the ad on the radio
    WHEN THERE GONE THERE DEFINITELY GONE :D
    I cannot see prices rising there is always a lul in prices during february/march. Last year and numbers were very tight they held the price static until late April. Any animal being fed with the exception of the good contenintal heifers and bulls are costing more to feed than they are putting on in weight at present. If them forward stores are fit to kill I would kill them you will need a price rise to break even and how much depends on breed. You will make as much or more to sell as forward stores in April when the boys with the grass fever are around the ring

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hey bob I'm beginning to think you might be larry goodman?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hey bob I'm beginning to think you might be larry goodman?

Them burgers would have tested 100% horse if I was :D

Them burgers would have tested 100% horse if I was :D

I like it:D

I hear seagulls make good burgers too when you get the lead out of them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

I like it:D

I hear seagulls make good burgers too when you get the lead out of them:eek:

They'd be fishy.

Tipp Man wrote: »

so now that burger king has cancelled a 5000t burger supply contract, have you any ideas where we will find a home for this tonnage? Will this have a effect on prices, burger king rumored to be doing business UK side of the water

so now that burger king has cancelled a 5000t burger supply contract, have you any ideas where we will find a home for this tonnage? Will this have a effect on prices, burger king rumored to be doing business UK side of the water

This is definately a blow - no doubt about that. Not necessarily because of the amount but more so the name of the company cancelling. If it stops at them we will be fine

However it is less than 1% of our annual production - demand for beef is still strong around the world. So we should able to find a contract to pick up the slack

Don't forget that the annual kill regularly fluctuates by a lot more than 1% - so this is not going to make or break us by itself

also if somebody like Dawn can pick up the contract then it might actually be a good thing - as it will directly hit larry in the pocket but have no (or minimal) effect on us

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

Does anyone have any update on prices.
    I have FR bulls to sell ,I talked to couple of agents early in the week but got a poor response, only offered €4.00 for Os .Late in the week I was offered €4.05.

any replies appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone get quotes for heifers this week? Just Waiting on a couple of agent's to get back to me.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes for heifers this week? Just Waiting on a couple of agent's to get back to me.

Ballpark 4.35 roscrea, what are you hearing? Will know more definitely later on.

Ballpark 4.35 roscrea, what are you hearing? Will know more definitely later on.
    4.30 was mentioned but will know for sure this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Dead on, and more to the point how can the retailers absolve themselves of any responsibility for the product THEY market, surely they have an obligation to ensure the quality of the ingredients used in the manufacture of a product they have contracted for is up to scratch, regardless of where it came from, or however many anonymous meat brokers it passed through.
    Their excuses are a complete cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

my uncle sold heifers last week for 4.37 base price on the grid

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    my uncle sold heifers last week for 4.37 base price on the grid
    Thanks. Got 4.35 on the grid. Was the best I could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

not a bad price by anyones reckoning

Thanks. Got 4.35 on the grid. Was the best I could get.
    With the price of ration I would not be waiting around for 2 cent/kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

I am hearing a factory in the midlands wont take any cattle unless they are Quality Assured after the end of next month anyone hear about it.It probably is in response to horsemeat scandal for tighter regulations for tracability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Why won't they take cattle ffs?

Will it not be patently clear to these numbskulls that what they are taking in is not a horse?

Do they need some pen pusher to sign a piece of paper certifying that the animal is bovine? Christ above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement