Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

1st sim bullock 640 kg 29 mth old got 390c/kg

2nd sim bullock 650 kg 22 mth old got 416c/kg

Am in Bord Bia also
    Euro meats du leek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

saranac1 wrote: »
    Sorry just on the front of the journal but I reckon with the whole Libya deal, prices will go up from jan 1 st.

What's the Libya deal please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

for any of the poor feckers that worked sorting and hauling cattle most of Stephens day surely deserved the extra 10c. one of the lads told me he covered over 500kms with cattle lorry yesterday:(.

So is a 10c rise (from the 1st of dec to 1st of Jan) enough to cover the month of December? doubt it.

I was doing the calulculation myself and on feed costs alone you need at least 2.5 cent/week to break even for fresian bulls. God knows how much for plain bullocks. I moved most of them the week before Christmas for 3.95/kg wondering was I wrong. Have another bunch that I targeted for May however now I am thinking of feeding on to finish mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

3.95 for Os 4.05 for Rs
    All dairy bred bulls Today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Got quoted 4.10 on the grid for overage steers today. Is there more to be got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Good loser wrote: »
    What's the Libya deal please?

libya are meant to start back up exporting, is it dairy bulls theyll be taking does anyone know? that was the impression i got anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Quoted 4.06 for o grade flat for Freisian bulls and 4.18 for r grade bulls for ballyhaunis next week.
    Anyone know can more be got?, what do these prices sound like?

Quoted 4.06 for o grade flat for Freisian bulls and 4.18 for r grade bulls for ballyhaunis next week.
    Anyone know can more be got?, what do these prices sound like?
    Got 4.15 for over age R grade bullocks last week so sounds about right. Factories are mad for cattle at the minute. One agent jumped 10 cent in 5 minutes when I was getting quotes. So you might get more if you price around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Got 4.15 for over age R grade bullocks last week so sounds about right. Factories are mad for cattle at the minute. One agent jumped 10 cent in 5 minutes when I was getting quotes. So you might get more if you price around.

Long may it continue:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

Long may it continue:D

Dig in hard lads they had it all their own way for long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

wouldnt be surprised to see a slight row back over next few weeks, maybe Im just over cautious, but we all know where demand is at the moment, is the difference with supply enough to hold the price? maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

wouldnt be surprised to see a slight row back over next few weeks, maybe Im just over cautious, but we all know where demand is at the moment, is the difference with supply enough to hold the price? maybe

The price is miles behind england

Dont think theres as many cattle as usual being fed.

But they are gifted at keeping a lid on the price unfortunately.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Any prices/ quotes for finished bulls under 23 mth old

There may not be a row back but prices may stop going up. It is costing more to feed cattle than they are putting on in flesh. Very few cattle put 1kg/flesh on per day, maybe some of the good quality continental bulls. Most bullocks, dairy cross bulls would struggle to put on more than .6kgs flesh and some less than that. Costs are running at 3.5-4 euro's/day. When cattle are fit kill them do not be waiting for a price 2-3 weeks down the road. My own estimate is that you need a price rise of at least 3cent/week to break even on plain cattle.That equates to 15 cent every five weeks just to break even.

Also you could see what happened in England a few years ago where finishers started killing cattle early because of feed costs. The dairy farmers will start to empty sheds in the next few weeks this will stabilise prices more thyan likly. I agree that we are way behind the English price by Larry Goodman is not charitable if he can manage to hold prices he will.

Big issue will be how many cattle Libya takes 500/week is no good we need 2K+/week before it even begins to effect Larry&Co and idealy for thenm to take cattle at heavier weights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody get cow quotes this week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I saw a handy sm cow 2004 720kg make 1390 in macroom on saturday, not over fleshed .
    .Me thinks she would be a long way back of this n factory. cows were very good trade.

I saw a handy sm cow 2004 720kg make 1390 in macroom on saturday, not over fleshed .
    .Me thinks she would be a long way back of this n factory. cows were very good trade.

According to todays Indo O cows are making around 3.5/kg. 720X.52=375X3.5=1310 euro's. When factories are short of cattle they have been lnown to buy in the marts and pay a bit above factory prices. The above would be before deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

All they were giving for o grade cows n aibp bandon today was 330 and 350 for r grade.we wont get the big money for them down the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

What is the average % kill-out figure for a R3+ or a R4- limousin cross cow with a liveweight of 650 kgs? Is it around 55 - 60%?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

tanko wrote: »
    What is the average % kill-out figure for a R3+ or a R4- limousin cross cow with a liveweight of 650 kgs? Is it around 55 - 60%?

More like 50-52%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Hi lads, I need a guesstimate here please, am working with a tight budget and any opinions will be appreciated.

What do you think will be the average price of 3 week old Hereford heifers or LMX heifers by mid-March please? I need to buy around 35 of them.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

morebabies wrote: »
    Hi lads, I need a guesstimate here please, am working with a tight budget and any opinions will be appreciated.

What do you think will be the average price of 3 week old Hereford heifers or LMX heifers by mid-March please? I need to buy around 35 of them.

Thanks

could be madness,very hard to guess that question,think theyre about 350-400e at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nomaco

sold a bunch of heavy charolais and limousin cows to ashbourne meats 3.90 a kg for U grade cows and 3.80 a kg for R grade cows!

nomaco wrote: »
    sold a bunch of heavy charolais and limousin cows to ashbourne meats 3.90 a kg for U grade cows and 3.80 a kg for R grade cows!

Whats a bunch 10, 20 or 30. Very good price no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Big issue will be how many cattle Libya takes 500/week is no good we need 2K+/week before it even begins to effect Larry&Co and idealy for thenm to take cattle at heavier weights.

I originally asked how sound would the Libyan gentlemen be, in this venture, now I would be more concerned much closer to home;)!

big kill down in the south this week at okay ish prices (actually barely cost covering prices, which is okay in beef finishing terms:rolleyes:). How much is the farmers journal paying for cattle this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nomaco

there were 8 of them.. 2 pedigree charolais and 2 pedigree limousin which prob helped the price

I originally asked how sound would the Libyan gentlemen be, in this venture, now I would be more concerned much closer to home;)!

big kill down in the south this week at okay ish prices (actually barely cost covering prices, which is okay in beef finishing terms:rolleyes:). How much is the farmers journal paying for cattle this week?
    They are paying 4.20 for steers 4.40 for heifers. They mightn't be too far off the mark this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

morebabies wrote: »

Thanks

350e at least I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ordinary farmer

lads does any body know what they are giving for over age bulls i have one about 650kg and have about 2-3 weeks feeding left hope to get him up to 700kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

lads does any body know what they are giving for over age bulls i have one about 650kg and have about 2-3 weeks feeding left hope to get him up to 700kg
    Got 1350 for a lad needed about 4-6 weeks feeding in late Nov. He went to factory Christmas week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement